Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 378 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #11311 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
One thing I am REALLY looking forward to is uncompressed HD with OTA. For a short while at my old house, I had unhooked from satellite and was using an antenna out in my front yard. I couldn't pick up very many stations, but what I could pick up....oh man...the picture quality was brilliant! The colors were so bright and the detail just seemed to put the compressed HD picture on satellite to shame! Unfortunately, that house was kind of built on a piece of land that was on the side of a gigantic hill, surround by thick woods on one side. So, there was only one direction that I could point the antenna to. I could pick up FOX, WFMY (that would go off and on), and WSLS - that was about it. Hopefully my cord cutting adventures with my new house in Oak Ridge will be a little more successful than that, but I'm looking forward to a much better picture on my TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Exactly! I do remember seeing most of those Roanoke channels in the yellow, which according to TVfool's legend, means those stations are doable with an attic antenna. If I thought I could pick those up just fine installing in the attic, I would do. Only thing is, if I install in the attic and then reception is not as good as I had hoped, then I'd hate to invest in more time to take the antenna down and to install on the roof. So, I'm definitely thinking outdoor installation all the way.

Unless I'm getting this report mixed up with one of the other ones from the other sites I've visited, the stations that I probably wouldn't be able to pick up would be those in Charlotte or a bit further south. I'd have to look at the report again to see which stations it said I pretty much had no chance to reach.

So, stupid question, but when you guys say to post my report, are you talking about posting the report on the TVFool's website or posting it here? Sorry to ask. I haven't had coffee yet this morning, lol!
Certainly you could post the URL of your report here. think it would help.The report does not included any address, so you will not be revealing where exactly you live.
post #11313 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Ah, so it's the opposite of what I was thinking. The dish seems to be pointing directly through the trees.
DirecTV and Dish use what is called "offset" dishes, meaning the focal point is not straight on but at an angle. I don't remember exactly, but I somehow remember I heard the DirecTV dishes are around 45 degrees so you would need to point the center of the dish about 45 degrees lower than it actually is because of the angle that the dish reflects the signal to hit the LNBs on the arm of the dish.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11314 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
Not to start anything again, but I hope that the NFL games on WGHP are accurate in the guide unlike the MLB fiasco earlier this year.
Haters just have to hate!

Seriously though, FOX seems to be better with the NFL games than MLB. That isn't to say we don't get switched sometimes because we do, but if we do we find out on Wednesday or Thursday before Sunday at the latest. The EPG services want EPG data 2 weeks ahead of time so sometimes the updates don't make it. And that is just the way it works.

The issue with the EPG companies is if it is something for a network, they seem to NEVER have a problem updating if they have at least 24 hours. For an individual station, we can go fly a kite as far as they are concerned.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.

Last edited by foxeng; 08-28-2014 at 08:14 AM.
post #11315 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Ah yes!!! Thank you so, very much Foxeng! I think I'm going to be OK where I live. I don't live in a hole, but I do have some tall trees surrounding the house, mainly on the backside. However, I'm thinking where I would have to turn the antenna to pick up Roanoke would be away from the trees anyway, so I should be OK with that. I've been able to pick up quite a few local channels on a broken old pair of rabbit ears, so I'm confident that I shouldn't have any problems with a roof top antenna.
So do you just have yours mounted on a 5 foot mast? How do you ground your antenna?
If you still need a rotor, Solid Signal has a daily deal on Antennacraft rotor for $57, Thursday 8/28 only. Don't know if this is the most durable brand now available, but should be about the same as the Radioshack.
post #11316 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
If you still need a rotor, Solid Signal has a daily deal on Antennacraft rotor for $57, Thursday 8/28 only. Don't know if this is the most durable brand now available, but should be about the same as the Radioshack.
I was thinking of going with a Channel Master rotor, but I haven't made my decision yet. Let me check out this rotor you've found for me! Thanks Tyler!
post #11317 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
WRAY has added another subchannel, 30-4, that carries some kind of programming from a satellite network called ABN. The shows are call-in shows, but they seem to be taped programs from three years ago. WLXI in Greensboro might be showing the same stuff.
post #11318 of 11320 Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
WRAY has added another subchannel, 30-4, that carries some kind of programming from a satellite network called ABN. The shows are call-in shows, but they seem to be taped ped programs from three years ago. WLXI in Greensboro might be showing the same stuff.
Yup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140828_210009_1409274322036.jpg (166.6 KB, 10 views)
post #11319 of 11320 Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of going with a Channel Master rotor, but I haven't made my decision yet. Let me check out this rotor you've found for me! Thanks Tyler!
I have come to no real conclusion as to what you might be able to do.......but I'm sure you will need a rotor to accomplish your stated mission.. That, as you will need a pretty directional high bandVHF/UHF antenna to do it, and pointing such an antenna in one direction will not get you all you want..
You probably need to stop wanting a second PBS station.. I agree with FOXENG that WBRA will have real reception issues for you.. The UNC network will probably have to suffice.
Two CBS affiliates are very possible, WFMY and WDBJ.. And, WXII and WSLS for NBC.
You will need the High Band VHF antenna for a second ABC affiliate. WSET is the most likely candidate, but WTVD on channel 11 might actually be more practical, and neither would be a great prospect. It all depends on how the ground opens away from your location.
I think you should make or acquire an inexpensive antenna, maybe the old rabbit ears, and get it outside and point sort of north, and see what might be there. You'll need some cable, but you will need that anyway. If you mounted the antenna on a length of cheep plastic pipe, you could get a better idea (a calm day project). I'd explore some, before I committed to any plan.
post #11320 of 11320 Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
I have come to no real conclusion as to what you might be able to do.......but I'm sure you will need a rotor to accomplish your stated mission.. That, as you will need a pretty directional high bandVHF/UHF antenna to do it, and pointing such an antenna in one direction will not get you all you want..
You probably need to stop wanting a second PBS station.. I agree with FOXENG that WBRA will have real reception issues for you.. The UNC network will probably have to suffice.
Two CBS affiliates are very possible, WFMY and WDBJ.. And, WXII and WSLS for NBC.
You will need the High Band VHF antenna for a second ABC affiliate. WSET is the most likely candidate, but WTVD on channel 11 might actually be more practical, and neither would be a great prospect. It all depends on how the ground opens away from your location.
I think you should make or acquire an inexpensive antenna, maybe the old rabbit ears, and get it outside and point sort of north, and see what might be there. You'll need some cable, but you will need that anyway. If you mounted the antenna on a length of cheep plastic pipe, you could get a better idea (a calm day project). I'd explore some, before I committed to any plan.
He should probably consider a Winegard 7698 HiVHF/UHF Fringe Combo Antenna, and a Kitztech 100 preamp with adjustable gain. And an FM Trap. Or an Antennacraft HBU-55 similar antenna, but the Winegard has the direct coax input connection.
post #11321 of 11320 Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
He should probably consider a Winegard 7698 HiVHF/UHF Fringe Combo Antenna, and a Kitztech 100 preamp with adjustable gain. And an FM Trap. Or an Antennacraft HBU-55 similar antenna, but the Winegard has the direct coax input connection.
May be. I Think some reasonable expectations should be formed first, if possible. You may have written a good prescription, or, maybe another approach might develop..
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page