2Likes

post #11371 of 11376 Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
You are correct. They are transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4 and in the process squishing the heck out of it.
So were I to upgrade to digital cable ($10/mo. with "free" HD) along with their converter box (another $10/mo.), would I at least get the broadcast networks at their original compression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 11376 Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by torridn View Post
So were I to upgrade to digital cable ($10/mo. with "free" HD) along with their converter box (another $10/mo.), would I at least get the broadcast networks at their original compression?
It's the same, they just show it on a different channel number. An antenna is the only way to be sure you get the original broadcast quality.
post #11373 of 11376 Old 09-22-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by torridn View Post
No because the stations broadcast in MPEG2 and just about all (I think all do but to cover my butt) transcode from MPEG2 to MPEG4. The only way to get "original" is to receive the station OTA. The difference is really quite small, but if you put a side by side comparison and you look closely, you can see a difference. The chroma is a little off and there is a slight bit of fuzz around the edges. To 99% of the people, they don't notice unless they do a one to one comparison. Quite honest, I watch us on DirecTV 99.9% of the time only going to OTA to check a problem. It is a pure convenience thing on my part because I might have the antenna pointed in a different direction and then have to rotate it, etc so I wimp out!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11374 of 11376 Old 09-22-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
TWC here still has the locals in MPEG2 on clear qam. I just got a new DuhWreckedTeeVee Genie ... nice. PQ much better than previous receiver.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #11375 of 11376 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post
It isn't awful grounding an antenna, but doing it right isn't done often. From everything I have read, it must go straight from the mast into the ground, no sharp bends, unlike what you see for most people where it bends every which way to not look awful. But lightning doesn't travel like a crazy straw - it jumped miles in the air, it finds the easiest way to ground and you are doing your best to encourage it into the ground cable to put it where you want... From there it needs to be tied to the utility ground so everything is at the same potential - now you can use the same ground rod, but that might not be convenient. The reasoning is it is the voltage differential that causes the issues, so if everything is at the same level, nothing happens.

You will hear people argue that the grounds should be separate, but according to the NEC code, and any instructional manual you have, you will see that the grounds all are supposed to tie to the service ground, even if that means running a thick cable (or large copper foil) all the way across your house.

Grounding the coax is also a good idea - the grounding blocks are cheap, and you probably already have one left over from the satellite if they did the job correctly. Same thing, needs to be tied to the service ground.

With my tower, I ran six ground rods, large copper foil underground connecting them all, as well as heavy duty 2g wire connecting the legs to the rods... it wasn't expensive, but it did take effort to do it right. We had a lightning hit twenty feet away from the tower, nothing in the house was touched except two light switches that had relays in them that were fried. All electronics in and out were fine.
This is the one thing that I'm nervous about in terms of switching off the satellite and going OTA. I don't want lightning to run in on my TV, and I'm afraid that I'm not going to ground the antenna correctly. I suppose simply unplugging the TV and the antenna when I'm not going to be home is probably the best thing to do - especially in the summer time.
post #11376 of 11376 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
This is the one thing that I'm nervous about in terms of switching off the satellite and going OTA. I don't want lightning to run in on my TV, and I'm afraid that I'm not going to ground the antenna correctly. I suppose simply unplugging the TV and the antenna when I'm not going to be home is probably the best thing to do - especially in the summer time.
Any grounding is better than no grounding. As long as you use common sense, you will be all right. Google has some good stuff about antenna grounding.

If your antenna is not the highest thing on your property, then chances are it will not be the first thing lightning goes for. Of course, when you talk about lighting, all bets are off.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.

Last edited by foxeng; Yesterday at 01:19 PM.
post #11377 of 11376 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Just like foxeng said, some reading and not going cheap on cable thickness, plus grounding blocks (and even lightning) arresters will set you up. Just follow the diagram in the TV instructions (I think they all use the same picture!) and you will be good.

Having said that, I do disconnect my antennas from my ham radio setup when not in use, but my TV I always leave connected because I am always recording - but I have been known to disconnect them, too.

Honestly, the pole and electric is more likely to get hit than your antenna, and people leave the AC connected all the time... that doesn't mean particularly anything, but you can see that while it is important to have good grounding for your setup, a lightning bolt most likely won't come in your house and leave it like a meteor hit it...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page