5Likes

post #11461 of 11485 Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNorthState View Post
What are you offering, here, and at what price... I might be interested...
Sorry for my delayed response. I'll have more info for you in a day or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11462 of 11485 Old 01-28-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonws View Post
I promised my wife that I would have an OTA solution worked out before I canceled DirectTV. Got my Tivos, got what I thought was a decent signal and canceled on my last billing day. Smart I am. NOT. Found a guy that will put an antenna on the roof...taking the dish out and putting in an antenna to run through the cable wiring...but I need to be SURE I get the absolute best signal I can get. Went to TV Fool and it looks like we have towers in EVERY direction. I've obsessed over reading every antenna review I can find and at this point I am just ready for someone to just tell me what to do. 12 is very important to be good...which is awful during the day...and 8, 2,26....

Please if you have an idea just tell me what to do. Here is the TVFool report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1592410e4e0b
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that a lot would depend on how directional your antenna is. If the antenna is highly directional, then you might need to use a rotor, which could be a nuisance. But if the antenna is not highly directional, then you could consider pointing it to the southwest at around 235 degrees true azimuth, sort of splitting the difference between 178 degrees and 292 degrees. The stations that are at 70 degrees (ENE) are so close to you that you might be able to pick them up even with the antenna pointing to the southwest.
post #11463 of 11485 Old 01-29-2015, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that a lot would depend on how directional your antenna is. If the antenna is highly directional, then you might need to use a rotor, which could be a nuisance. But if the antenna is not highly directional, then you could consider pointing it to the southwest at around 235 degrees true azimuth, sort of splitting the difference between 178 degrees and 292 degrees. The stations that are at 70 degrees (ENE) are so close to you that you might be able to pick them up even with the antenna pointing to the southwest.
Thanks, Veedon. I haven't bought the antenna, yet. Any recommendations from anyone? DB8? db8e? A rotor would NOT work. The installer was suggesting a Lava brand omnidirectional but I haven't found any without a rotor so I am wide open.
post #11464 of 11485 Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Thanks, Veedon. I haven't bought the antenna, yet. Any recommendations from anyone? DB8? db8e? A rotor would NOT work. The installer was suggesting a Lava brand omnidirectional but I haven't found any without a rotor so I am wide open.
I think you should redo the TVfool report with a 20 foot height for the antenna. It might change what would be possible.
Stacked bowties without a reflector will pick up from front and back equally, and some from the sides.
If you need to do this with little more thought, that would be the way to do it. You could get almost all the locals by just aiming north.
post #11465 of 11485 Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Jacksonws

I would consider the Winegard 8800 UHF. I have it, and it picks up channels over 60 miles during the day just fine. It works really good from being pointed backwards at channels 25 miles out. At night I can often times get channels at a distance of 200 miles. I also use the RCA TVPRAMP1R and have 3 TV's hooked up to OTA from it.
post #11466 of 11485 Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNorthState View Post
A buddy and I built a simple one a couple of years ago, utilizing the little V-configured spreaders (two rows of 4, horizontally opposed, w/each leg of every "v" approx. 7" long, I believe it was), and it worked better than anything I ever scrutinized or bought that was mass-produced. What are you offering, here, and at what price... I might be interested...
I found a guy in Raleigh who was making antennas and decided to drive down and get one from him. I ended up getting a couple of extras in case anyone here in the Triad was looking for something like this and didn't have the time, expertise or interest in doing it themselves.

I put a listing on craigslist:
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/ele/4869050298.html
post #11467 of 11485 Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I promised my wife that I would have an OTA solution worked out before I canceled DirectTV. Got my Tivos, got what I thought was a decent signal and canceled on my last billing day. Smart I am. NOT. Found a guy that will put an antenna on the roof...taking the dish out and putting in an antenna to run through the cable wiring...but I need to be SURE I get the absolute best signal I can get. Went to TV Fool and it looks like we have towers in EVERY direction. I've obsessed over reading every antenna review I can find and at this point I am just ready for someone to just tell me what to do. 12 is very important to be good...which is awful during the day...and 8, 2,26....

First question is, where in Greensboro are you? The TVFool just says Greensboro.

With an outdoor antenna, all the local stations are very doable. From Greensboro all the stations you list are either northwest or due south. You have two options. One is to use a single antenna and using a rotor turn the antenna from northwest to south. Option two is to install two antennas, one aimed northwest and one aimed due south and using a splitter to bring all signals down one feed.

All local stations are UHF channels (14-51)

WXII and WUNL are on Sauratown Mt north of Winston-Salem
WFMY, WGHP, WXLV, WMYV, WLXI, WCWG are due south.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11468 of 11485 Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
First question is, where in Greensboro are you? The TVFool just says Greensboro.

With an outdoor antenna, all the local stations are very doable. From Greensboro all the stations you list are either northwest or due south. You have two options. One is to use a single antenna and using a rotor turn the antenna from northwest to south. Option two is to install two antennas, one aimed northwest and one aimed due south and using a splitter to bring all signals down one feed.

All local stations are UHF channels (14-51)

WXII and WUNL are on Sauratown Mt north of Winston-Salem
WFMY, WGHP, WXLV, WMYV, WLXI, WCWG are due south.
I'm in North Greensboro and it sounds, then, like the DB8e would fit the bill. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
post #11469 of 11485 Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I'm in North Greensboro and it sounds, then, like the DB8e would fit the bill. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
Solid signal has one that you can turn half of the antenna one way, and the other half to the second tower.
post #11470 of 11485 Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
Solid signal has one that you can turn half of the antenna one way, and the other half to the second tower.
The MCM version appears identical to the Solid Signal version and is on sale for $39.99.
post #11471 of 11485 Old 02-02-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Went to TV Fool and it looks like we have towers in EVERY direction. I've obsessed over reading every antenna review I can find and at this point I am just ready for someone to just tell me what to do. 12 is very important to be good...which is awful during the day...and 8, 2,26....

Get a DB8 and point to the SouthEast... the DB8 will basically pick up anything in front of it to a point. You want to point towards the LOS sites and the lobes should be big enough to capture everything. The DB4 might be broad lobed as well... The only station you probably won't get is Ion, but since you are close you might get it off the back lobe...

There are probably better antennas out there since you are close, that you could have a good omni-directional and not have to worry about aiming at all...
post #11472 of 11485 Old 02-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

I have some observations, which are not complaints.
AntennaTV seems to have some miscalibrated transfers from 2inch quad recordings . The audio and video are not always in sync. I'm sure it was easy enough for this to happen, at some point in the programs' history of media transfer, but I cannot understand how after 40 years the current recordings are televised uncorrected..
There is an issue with the stream on WGHP 8.3., also. There are occasional interruptions, the nature of which, I have no understanding. The only noticeable effect is with the audio, which "drops out" every few seconds for a few milliseconds. No problem with 8.1 or 8.2 in this regard, only on 8.3, including the local commercials.,.
I would not want to guess what is the cause. If there are any insights, I would appreciate them....
post #11473 of 11485 Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
I have some observations, which are not complaints.
AntennaTV seems to have some miscalibrated transfers from 2inch quad recordings . The audio and video are not always in sync. I'm sure it was easy enough for this to happen, at some point in the programs' history of media transfer, but I cannot understand how after 40 years the current recordings are televised uncorrected..
There is an issue with the stream on WGHP 8.3., also. There are occasional interruptions, the nature of which, I have no understanding. The only noticeable effect is with the audio, which "drops out" every few seconds for a few milliseconds. No problem with 8.1 or 8.2 in this regard, only on 8.3, including the local commercials.,.
I would not want to guess what is the cause. If there are any insights, I would appreciate them....
As far as the transfers, I have seen some slates with tranfer dates from the 1980's for the transfer masters. It costs money to retransfer and if the show is not widely being shown, they don't usually spend the money to retransfer. The older the show, the less likely it is to be retransfered. The issue could also be in the dubbing into the playback system at the network. That is usually done in bulk and not every episode is scrutinized super close. I have seen video tape hits in dub copies before. You get a show that ran seven seasons with 30 some episodes for each season and you could have 170 episodes and they are ingested in real time so the man hours are huge to get a large library in an automation system and it is usually time crunched to get it done as well.

For the audio dropout on 8.3, that is a new one. We are not seeing that here and I have not seen it at home. I will take a look at it and see if anything jumps out.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11474 of 11485 Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As far as the transfers, I have seen some slates with tranfer dates from the 1980's for the transfer masters. It costs money to retransfer and if the show is not widely being shown, they don't usually spend the money to retransfer. The older the show, the less likely it is to be retransfered. The issue could also be in the dubbing into the playback system at the network. That is usually done in bulk and not every episode is scrutinized super close. I have seen video tape hits in dub copies before. You get a show that ran seven seasons with 30 some episodes for each season and you could have 170 episodes and they are ingested in real time so the man hours are huge to get a large library in an automation system and it is usually time crunched to get it done as well.

For the audio dropout on 8.3, that is a new one. We are not seeing that here and I have not seen it at home. I will take a look at it and see if anything jumps out.
Excellent response. I had not thought of the automation issues.
As to the "minidropouts" I considered once that there might be something about the multiplexing that took enough bits from 8.3 at times to cause the glitch. Like a cube turning. That, as most of my watching is during the same time as the morning news. I have an imagination.
Thanks for the response.
post #11475 of 11485 Old 02-06-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As to the "minidropouts" I considered once that there might be something about the multiplexing that took enough bits from 8.3 at times to cause the glitch. Like a cube turning. That, as most of my watching is during the same time as the morning news. I have an imagination.
Thanks for the response.
The splicer does its own stat muxing so we are not using the stat mux in the encoder to keep the two from fighting each other and accidentally shutting down a stream! That is static and there is enough bandwidth allocated to handle anything that comes down the stream. The only time I would think the stat mux might bit starve the other streams would be during NASCAR or something that requires the whole picture raster be updating. Just the cube turning is not enough to cause that and you would see pixelization long before you would hear audio glitching.

post #11476 of 11485 Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The splicer does its own stat muxing so we are not using the stat mux in the encoder to keep the two from fighting each other and accidentally shutting down a stream! That is static and there is enough bandwidth allocated to handle anything that comes down the stream. The only time I would think the stat mux might bit starve the other streams would be during NASCAR or something that requires the whole picture raster be updating. Just the cube turning is not enough to cause that and you would see pixelization long before you would hear audio glitching.
It is still there, only on 8.3, OTA
Both my receivers exhibit the phenomenon.
The only thing common to them is general location, and the mains power (different rooms, antennas.and manufacturers_)...... and both have tuners from 10 years ago..
I think I will stop being concerned if there are no others who notice this.
post #11477 of 11485 Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It is still there, only on 8.3, OTA
Both my receivers exhibit the phenomenon.
The only thing common to them is general location, and the mains power (different rooms, antennas.and manufacturers_)...... and both have tuners from 10 years ago..
I think I will stop being concerned if there are no others who notice this.
There is something going on. Not sure what. It is only on a very small number of receivers. None of the receivers we have here are doing it but I have heard from another engineer on a cable system is hearing through his headend. Just got to try and figure out what is going on and where.

post #11478 of 11485 Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For those of you are experiencing the audio issue on This8.3, please give a listen and let me know. I think I may have an encoder about to go belly up. Our new encoder at that. Infant mortality. I have our back encoder on line now and it seems to be clean. Please post what you are hearing.

Thanks.

post #11479 of 11485 Old 02-10-2015, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For those of you are experiencing the audio issue on This8.3, please give a listen and let me know. I think I may have an encoder about to go belly up. Our new encoder at that. Infant mortality. I have our back encoder on line now and it seems to be clean. Please post what you are hearing.

Thanks.
I have no issue with the audio now. The little I've had the TV's on for the last 12 hours have been fine.,.
post #11480 of 11485 Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have no issue with the audio now. The little I've had the TV's on for the last 12 hours have been fine.,.
8.3 is still fine.
post #11481 of 11485 Old 02-11-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
8.3 is still fine.
It appears the encoder for 8.3 was starting to die. We have a replacement that should be here on Thursday. We will stay on our backup until then.

post #11482 of 11485 Old 02-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

I am pleased that not all Triad stations are refusing to recognize a world outside their DMAs. I commend them for that.
post #11483 of 11485 Old 02-21-2015, 08:15 PM

I bought a brand new WD AV-GP 1GB drive to upgrade the used TiVo Premiere I bought and it went belly-up a couple of months later. I got the replacement drive this week and just got it installed tonight. I decided to rescan all the channels from scratch. WGHP and 8.2 show up twice each - as WGHPDT and WGHPSTA / WGHPDT2and WGHPST2. Subchannel 8.3 is only shown as WGHPDT3.

Is there any reason to choose one set of 8.1/8.2 over the other?
post #11484 of 11485 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
I bought a brand new WD AV-GP 1GB drive to upgrade the used TiVo Premiere I bought and it went belly-up a couple of months later. I got the replacement drive this week and just got it installed tonight. I decided to rescan all the channels from scratch. WGHP and 8.2 show up twice each - as WGHPDT and WGHPSTA / WGHPDT2and WGHPST2. Subchannel 8.3 is only shown as WGHPDT3.

Is there any reason to choose one set of 8.1/8.2 over the other?
For some reason TiVo continues to use data from 2009/10 along with current data. Whichever one that works, use it. If the WGHPDT and WGHPDT2 works, have that as your primary. The data labeled WGHPSTA was for channel 35 before it was the permanent channel pre 2010.

post #11485 of 11485 Old Today, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
For some reason TiVo continues to use data from 2009/10 along with current data. Whichever one that works, use it. If the WGHPDT and WGHPDT2 works, have that as your primary. The data labeled WGHPSTA was for channel 35 before it was the permanent channel pre 2010.
It appeared that way on the Directv AM21 tuner when I lived there. WGHPSTA would disappear after a few days and only WGHPDT would appear. Both worked when they both appeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception