5Likes

post #11461 of 11468 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNorthState View Post
What are you offering, here, and at what price... I might be interested...
Sorry for my delayed response. I'll have more info for you in a day or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11462 of 11468 Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonws View Post
I promised my wife that I would have an OTA solution worked out before I canceled DirectTV. Got my Tivos, got what I thought was a decent signal and canceled on my last billing day. Smart I am. NOT. Found a guy that will put an antenna on the roof...taking the dish out and putting in an antenna to run through the cable wiring...but I need to be SURE I get the absolute best signal I can get. Went to TV Fool and it looks like we have towers in EVERY direction. I've obsessed over reading every antenna review I can find and at this point I am just ready for someone to just tell me what to do. 12 is very important to be good...which is awful during the day...and 8, 2,26....

Please if you have an idea just tell me what to do. Here is the TVFool report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1592410e4e0b
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that a lot would depend on how directional your antenna is. If the antenna is highly directional, then you might need to use a rotor, which could be a nuisance. But if the antenna is not highly directional, then you could consider pointing it to the southwest at around 235 degrees true azimuth, sort of splitting the difference between 178 degrees and 292 degrees. The stations that are at 70 degrees (ENE) are so close to you that you might be able to pick them up even with the antenna pointing to the southwest.
post #11463 of 11468 Old Today, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that a lot would depend on how directional your antenna is. If the antenna is highly directional, then you might need to use a rotor, which could be a nuisance. But if the antenna is not highly directional, then you could consider pointing it to the southwest at around 235 degrees true azimuth, sort of splitting the difference between 178 degrees and 292 degrees. The stations that are at 70 degrees (ENE) are so close to you that you might be able to pick them up even with the antenna pointing to the southwest.
Thanks, Veedon. I haven't bought the antenna, yet. Any recommendations from anyone? DB8? db8e? A rotor would NOT work. The installer was suggesting a Lava brand omnidirectional but I haven't found any without a rotor so I am wide open.
post #11464 of 11468 Old Today, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Thanks, Veedon. I haven't bought the antenna, yet. Any recommendations from anyone? DB8? db8e? A rotor would NOT work. The installer was suggesting a Lava brand omnidirectional but I haven't found any without a rotor so I am wide open.
I think you should redo the TVfool report with a 20 foot height for the antenna. It might change what would be possible.
Stacked bowties without a reflector will pick up from front and back equally, and some from the sides.
If you need to do this with little more thought, that would be the way to do it. You could get almost all the locals by just aiming north.
post #11465 of 11468 Old Today, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Jacksonws

I would consider the Winegard 8800 UHF. I have it, and it picks up channels over 60 miles during the day just fine. It works really good from being pointed backwards at channels 25 miles out. At night I can often times get channels at a distance of 200 miles. I also use the RCA TVPRAMP1R and have 3 TV's hooked up to OTA from it.
post #11466 of 11468 Old Today, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNorthState View Post
A buddy and I built a simple one a couple of years ago, utilizing the little V-configured spreaders (two rows of 4, horizontally opposed, w/each leg of every "v" approx. 7" long, I believe it was), and it worked better than anything I ever scrutinized or bought that was mass-produced. What are you offering, here, and at what price... I might be interested...
I found a guy in Raleigh who was making antennas and decided to drive down and get one from him. I ended up getting a couple of extras in case anyone here in the Triad was looking for something like this and didn't have the time, expertise or interest in doing it themselves.

I put a listing on craigslist:
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/ele/4869050298.html
post #11467 of 11468 Old Today, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I promised my wife that I would have an OTA solution worked out before I canceled DirectTV. Got my Tivos, got what I thought was a decent signal and canceled on my last billing day. Smart I am. NOT. Found a guy that will put an antenna on the roof...taking the dish out and putting in an antenna to run through the cable wiring...but I need to be SURE I get the absolute best signal I can get. Went to TV Fool and it looks like we have towers in EVERY direction. I've obsessed over reading every antenna review I can find and at this point I am just ready for someone to just tell me what to do. 12 is very important to be good...which is awful during the day...and 8, 2,26....

Please if you have an idea just tell me what to do. Here is the TVFool report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1592410e4e0b
First question is, where in Greensboro are you? The TVFool just says Greensboro.

With an outdoor antenna, all the local stations are very doable. From Greensboro all the stations you list are either northwest or due south. You have two options. One is to use a single antenna and using a rotor turn the antenna from northwest to south. Option two is to install two antennas, one aimed northwest and one aimed due south and using a splitter to bring all signals down one feed.

All local stations are UHF channels (14-51)

WXII and WUNL are on Sauratown Mt north of Winston-Salem
WFMY, WGHP, WXLV, WMYV, WLXI, WCWG are due south.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception