Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 384 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #11491 of 11514 Old 03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

One thing I noticed on Antenna TV though is I didn't realize how bad 3/4" really looked until now - back then it looked great! When Beta came out, it looked a bit better, but not that drastic... Amazing that all those shows almost seem unwatchable (opposed to the ones shot on film that look fine)...
I'm reasonably sure none of the programs you've been watching were ever produced or preserved on 3/4 inch Video tape. Most likely they were archived on either 2" or 1" broadcast VTRs then later digitally redone. Those tapes did look a lot better when they were newer, and maybe had not suffered several generations of duplication. All video tape I know of wears, and, the magnetic coating deteriorates no matter how well it is stored. A lot of programs recorded 40-50 years ago do not look very good today. But, when the tape was newer, they did look better. Some programs that were recorded on tape 4 decades ago look pretty good as the original recordings or first generation dupes were not abused by wear so much as others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 11514 Old 03-16-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
And remember, Antenna TV as all the others have dubbed programs and movies in to a file playback system so once it is in the system, if there are glitches and hiccups, they are there for the life of the file.

Piece of useless trivia - The automation playback system used for Antenna TV and This TV is the same exact system we use here.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11493 of 11514 Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
And remember, Antenna TV as all the others have dubbed programs and movies in to a file playback system so once it is in the system, if there are glitches and hiccups, they are there for the life of the file.

Piece of useless trivia - The automation playback system used for Antenna TV and This TV is the same exact system we use here.
Among those programs that do not look really good today are the Norman Lear shows, including All in the Family and associated shows. They have, at least, survived. The British show on which All in the Family was inspired had less luck. The entire first production of "Til Death do us Part" seems completely lost.. Like All in the Family, it was produced on videotape, but, as nobody saw future interest in the program, being somewhat topical, the tape was recycled for other uses. That was a BBC decision. When the show went to commercial TV, it was archived. The temptation on both sides of the Atlantic to reuse videotape was pretty strong in the first 10-15 years of the technology.
post #11494 of 11514 Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Fcc's O'Reilly, maybe a threat, maybe a prediction:
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...amation/139339
post #11495 of 11514 Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The incentive auction is designed to be a market-based means for TV stations to sell their spectrum indirectly to wireless companies. So if you're a station losing money or not making a lot of money, you can opt to sell your spectrum to the FCC who, in turn, will sell it to the wireless companies. If not enough stations opt to sell, then nothing happens. If lots of stations sell, then the TV band shrinks. (Only full-power and Class A stations are eligible.)

To get 84 MHz (channels above 37) would require about 200-300 stations to sell, but of course, it has to be the right 200-300 stations.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11496 of 11514 Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
.... The entire first production of "Til Death do us Part" seems completely lost.. Like All in the Family, it was produced on videotape, but, as nobody saw future interest in the program, being somewhat topical, the tape was recycled for other uses. That was a BBC decision. .
That's "Till Death Us Do Part". The wording was taken straight from the Book of Common Prayer, 1662 revision.
post #11497 of 11514 Old 04-08-2015, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
That's "Till Death Us Do Part". The wording was taken straight from the Book of Common Prayer, 1662 revision.
Yep, I misjuztaposed the two words.
post #11498 of 11514 Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then misspelt misjuxtaposed
foxeng likes this.
post #11499 of 11514 Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
That sounds like something Archie would say.
On the topic of "All in the Family", I was thinking about what Archie and Edith's wedding ceremony would have been like if Archie had written the vows. The words "love, honor, and stifle" came to mind.
post #11500 of 11514 Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all,
First post after some lurking.
Built house in 2006 and TV house cabling done by TW and Dishnetwork.
Just had a run put in to the attic to get to a Winegard HD-4400 antenna costing about $100
Playing with permanent mounting for antenna and wondering what experiences have been encountered by group that you would advise to do or avoid if in my place.
Thanks
post #11501 of 11514 Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcxmbfj View Post
Hi all,
Just had a run put in to the attic to get to a Winegard HD-4400 antenna costing about $100
Playing with permanent mounting for antenna and wondering what experiences have been encountered by group that you would advise to do or avoid if in my place.
Thanks
It woould be helpful to go to TVFool.com and determine what your likely reception prospects are. Posting the results here will help with advice. As I understand things, one may not post an attachment until after the fifth posting here. So, if you know any TV jokes, you might post them one at a time until you get past five.
post #11502 of 11514 Old 04-16-2015, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcxmbfj View Post
Hi all,
Thanks
Avoid drilling into the roof if possible. The easiest and best mountings are on the side of the house... chimneys seem like a good idea for ease of installation, but some chimenys have sustained damage from having to big of an antenna mounted on it and the wind catching it...
post #11503 of 11514 Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Time-Warner/Comcast merger has been called off. Will not happen.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...-merger/140233

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11504 of 11514 Old 04-25-2015, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Update

Thanks krisbee, difuse for your excellent suggestions.

To update I installed a Winegard HD 4400 purchased three years ago in the attic rafters at ~380* reversed to the strongest channels but forward to the most.

Had run the tvfool profile before starting the project.

I now get 16 channels consisting of all four major networks and a couple of foreign language ones at this orientation.

I'm very pleased with the performance of the HD4400 that's rated at 35 mi.

Next up is to get both TV's on one side of my house OTA and off the cable.
krisbee likes this.
post #11505 of 11514 Old 04-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
The Time-Warner/Comcast merger has been called off. Will not happen.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...-merger/140233
I probably would have been happy if this merger had of happened two or three years ago, right when I moved down to Greensboro. At that time, I was living in VA and getting my internet service through Comcast. Would have been nice to have maybe kept my existing internet package (which was $20 cheaper) and my email account. Other than that, there's no real advantage that I'd see as a consumer, for TWC and Comcast to merge. Both pretty much offer the same stuff.

On a side note, I've been playing around with a homemade indoor antenna that my dad made. I calibrated my TV on the antenna input the same as what it is on my DirecTV input. I have to say, I understand what you guys are talking about now. A few pages back, I would have argued that the picture quality on Antenna would blow DirecTV's away, but it doesn't. It's still outstanding, but I actually like the colors on DirecTV much better than on my antenna input. So even though I calibrated the antenna input exactly the same as my DTV input, I see that I'm going to have to play around with the colors to get the picture quality to come close to matching as possible.
post #11506 of 11514 Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
On a side note, I've been playing around with a homemade indoor antenna that my dad made. I calibrated my TV on the antenna input the same as what it is on my DirecTV input. I have to say, I understand what you guys are talking about now. A few pages back, I would have argued that the picture quality on Antenna would blow DirecTV's away, but it doesn't. It's still outstanding, but I actually like the colors on DirecTV much better than on my antenna input. So even though I calibrated the antenna input exactly the same as my DTV input, I see that I'm going to have to play around with the colors to get the picture quality to come close to matching as possible.
Just remember you are looking at two different receivers. One is MPEG2 (OTA) and sat is MPEG4. Also I suspect they may be sweetening the video in the MPEG4 encoder. As far as clarity goes, anytime you transcode like MPEG2 to MPEG4 you will lose some PQ. The amount lost will depend on how good the encoder is and they do use good ones. If you look at strictly crispness of the contrast and not chroma level, you will see OTA is just a bit sharper, as it should be due to the transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4. It is just laws of physics Symba.
Theo1080 likes this.

Last edited by foxeng; 04-30-2015 at 08:28 AM.
post #11507 of 11514 Old 04-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Just remember you are looking at two different receivers. One is MPEG2 (OTA) and sat is MPEG4. Also I suspect they may be sweetening the video in the MPEG4 encoder. As far as clarity goes, anytime you transcode like MPEG2 to MPEG4 you will lose some PQ. The amount lost will depend on how good the encoder is and they do use good ones. If you look at strictly crispness of the contrast and not chrome level, you will see OTA is just a bit sharper, as it should be due to the transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4. It is just laws of physics Symba.
Yeah, I definitely see a sharper picture with OTA, just noticed that the colors seemed more, eh..I don't want to use the world "natural" but kind of, sort of. Not as colorful as the MPEG4 version with DTV.
post #11508 of 11514 Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Yeah, I definitely see a sharper picture with OTA, just noticed that the colors seemed more, eh..I don't want to use the world "natural" but kind of, sort of. Not as colorful as the MPEG4 version with DTV.
Something few think on: NTSC analog TV was mathematically capable of producing far more discrete colors than OTA digital. However, in practice,. standard definition digital beats NTSC by a mile in reproducing color.. The reason is that NTSC would not, by the time it got to a home TV, be able to reproduce anything but something like the color the camera saw. NTSC never traveled very well. Digital TV does travel well, and will produce nearly the correct color (if not ABSOLUTELY correct) every time and reproduce the same color the same way every time; :NTSC could not do that.
Converting a digital stream to a lower bit rate format probably will not reduce the consistency of color reproduction, only reduce the number of different colors available. The OTA picture might be more subtle, as it is capable of more different colors than Dish or cable. . Compared to what we had in years past, it is all good.
post #11509 of 11514 Old 05-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Something few think on: NTSC analog TV was mathematically capable of producing far more discrete colors than OTA digital. However, in practice,. standard definition digital beats NTSC by a mile in reproducing color.. The reason is that NTSC would not, by the time it got to a home TV, be able to reproduce anything but something like the color the camera saw. NTSC never traveled very well. Digital TV does travel well, and will produce nearly the correct color (if not ABSOLUTELY correct) every time and reproduce the same color the same way every time; :NTSC could not do that.
Converting a digital stream to a lower bit rate format probably will not reduce the consistency of color reproduction, only reduce the number of different colors available. The OTA picture might be more subtle, as it is capable of more different colors than Dish or cable. . Compared to what we had in years past, it is all good.
Either way, the picture still looks fine to me! I just can't wait to finally get an antenna installed so that I can free myself of another monthly bill!
difuse likes this.
post #11510 of 11514 Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Sorry but I really do not agree with your statements.

Certainly digital distribution can be better than OTA since generally MVPDs shave bits to cram more channels in though that doesn’t effect the color.

The color space and accuracy is not significantly different between analog and digital, coming out of a camera. (There is some difference in that NTSC matrix does produce “chroma crawl” around fine details.) However, digitizing the video causes it to hold up better, both in the plant as well as in the distribution chain. There are not “more colors, truer colors,” in either system.

Somewhat surprised FoxEng has not chimed in here.
post #11511 of 11514 Old 05-05-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
Somewhat surprised FoxEng has not chimed in here.

Po-TA-TO Pa-tato

I have learned that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and TV viewing is VERY subjective.
difuse likes this.

post #11512 of 11514 Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry but I really do not agree with your statements.

Certainly digital distribution can be better than OTA since generally MVPDs shave bits to cram more channels in though that doesn’t effect the color..
"Digital distribution" and "OTA" are not mutually exclusive. Digital distribution OTA happens every day.

Quote:
The color space and accuracy is not significantly different between analog and digital, coming out of a camera. (There is some difference in that NTSC matrix does produce “chroma crawl” around fine details.)
There would be NO difference between digital and analog coming off a camera unless a modulation system was integrated with the camera, which would have been very unusual.in analog broadcast TV.. Dot crawl is a feature of NTSC modulation(transmitter)-demodulation (in the receiver), not of the camera.

Quote:
However, digitizing the video causes it to hold up better, both in the plant as well as in the distribution chain.
I'm quite sure that is what I wrote in different words.
Quote:
There are not “more colors, truer colors,” in either system.
I'm not buying that. The combinations of chroma value and luminance are very much more numerous in NTSC than in ATSC, but, delivery much less reliable with NTSC.
post #11513 of 11514 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WGHP is back to full power from being at half power. We lost a power supply last week and we got a loaner for it today and installed it while ours is being repaired in Canada.

post #11514 of 11514 Unread Today, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
WGHP is back to full power from being at half power. We lost a power supply last week and we got a loaner for it today and installed it while ours is being repaired in Canada.
I did not notice.
I watched a little bit the last few days, and saw nothing remarkable.
I'm over 30 miles from the transmitter, and receiving at just about 90 degrees from antenna aiming point.
.DTV does seem to work some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page