Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #11521 of 11539 Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watching WGHP in SD via DirecTV. Re: the hitch that appears when the weather alerts come up - is it present in other viewing options or is it just ours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11539 Old 07-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live in Stokes County (King area); but I was wondering if anyone else has been able to pickup
WFFP-TV Danville / Roanoke / Lynchburg, Virginia, 24.1 (COZI TV)?
I can pick it up most of the time with the antenna I am currently using, but it seems to fade some after dark. This to my knowledge is the closest Cozi-tv that we have in the area.
It will also soon have Movies on 24.2. Just thought I would ask.
thanks Rhw
post #11523 of 11539 Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
Watching WGHP in SD via DirecTV. Re: the hitch that appears when the weather alerts come up - is it present in other viewing options or is it just ours?
Hitch? Can you explain what you are seeing and what programming you are seeing it in?

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11524 of 11539 Old 07-01-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Hitch? Can you explain what you are seeing and what programming you are seeing it in?
The most recent example was during the Women's World Cup game, USA v. Germany. The announcers would be talking along... "That was a good play.." then the weather alert graphics come up, the picture freaks out for a sec while it's resized and then you hear "... good play" again before it continues along normally. There's also an annoying video hitch when the weather alert goes away but it's not accompanied by any repeated or missed words.

This same hiccup was also present during the US Open telecasts from the previous weekend. In fact, I remember it from months ago but I don't remember if it was DirecTV's SD or HD feed we were watching at the time. I've just gotten used to it always being the case on WGHP. But, it seemed more pronounced last night, so I thought you might like to know about it.

The other odd thing is that I don't see a corresponding issue when the weather alerts pop up during WXII & WFMY programming.
post #11525 of 11539 Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 PM

During the World Cup game just now, the weather alert came up at like 8:02. This time, when it went off, the video hitch moved forward to the point that a second or two of both video and audio was cut. The beginning had a very minimal repeat though.
post #11526 of 11539 Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Because of the use of the FOX splicer, we have to drop back to local to add the crawls. Because of the way we have to do it, the timing is slightly off between the splicer video and the crawl with network video. That is what you are seeing. We have worked on that for years. I would hope that in the near and not far future, FOX would reconsider the use of the splicer. It was great technology back when most stations have analog master controls and to be able to cheaply put HD on the air was king. Now a days only your smallest of small stations do not have HD master controls. The Splicer's time has come and gone. Even the FOX O&O's in New York and LA have this same issue, how to put crawls on the air while in network.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11527 of 11539 Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Because of the use of the FOX splicer, we have to drop back to local to add the crawls. Because of the way we have to do it, the timing is slightly off between the splicer video and the crawl with network video. That is what you are seeing. We have worked on that for years. I would hope that in the near and not far future, FOX would reconsider the use of the splicer. It was great technology back when most stations have analog master controls and to be able to cheaply put HD on the air was king. Now a days only your smallest of small stations do not have HD master controls. The Splicer's time has come and gone. Even the FOX O&O's in New York and LA have this same issue, how to put crawls on the air while in network.
And WFXT Boston and WFFF Burlington VT have the same skip back! WFXT's skip back is much longer than I remember on WGHP or anywhere else and it does it at every local commercial break during Fox programming. Do any Fox stations not do that?
post #11528 of 11539 Old 07-10-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
And WFXT Boston and WFFF Burlington VT have the same skip back! WFXT's skip back is much longer than I remember on WGHP or anywhere else and it does it at every local commercial break during Fox programming. Do any Fox stations not do that?
Sounds like their insertion time is wrong. There is a window there for splicing to net and splicing to local. If the window isn't adjusted correctly, weird things can happen. It is suppose to happen during the black between segments so you don't see any buffering lag that might be there. During a crawl cut-in, you will see it since there is no black to hide it.

Last edited by foxeng; 07-10-2015 at 02:13 PM.
post #11529 of 11539 Old 07-11-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Boo to the national network bigwigs who force feed us Yankees versus Red Sox all the time.
This map is outrageous.

http://506sports.com/
post #11530 of 11539 Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 AM

Does anyone know the current status of Clear QAM channel availability for the Triad via TWC?
post #11531 of 11539 Old 07-13-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
Does anyone know the current status of Clear QAM channel availability for the Triad via TWC?
Locals definitely and some random tier channels that come and go.

post #11532 of 11539 Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Boo to the national network bigwigs who force feed us Yankees versus Red Sox all the time.
This map is outrageous.

http://506sports.com/
False. It's FAR from all the time. When I lived in NC, the lack of Yankees and Red Sox made me get the Directv Deportes pack because their cable Fox Deportes would show more of those games. I remember Fox 50 would show them more than Fox 8, but not much. Fox either needs to do all of those games nationally (they DO have FS1 and FS2 to stick things on) or not do them at all. At least they are all on MLB EI now.

That being said, Greensboro (and all of NC) is technically in the Nats and Orioles territory, but TWC doesn't carry the networks (MASN/MASN2) those games are on so only satellite will get you all your local RSNs - FS South, SportSouth, FS Carolinas, MASN, and their alternates. With Sports Pack, you get all the Reds on FS Cin, too. I guess you "should" have had the Wash/Balt game, but Red Sox/Yankees is much more interesting.
post #11533 of 11539 Old 07-15-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, well. Most North Carolinians don't give a hoot about either the Yankees or the Red Sox, but every time they play each other, if it's on a Saturday when FOX is broadcasting games OTA, there's a good chance our area will wind up with those teams. I miss the days when the TV networks had more variety in the teams they showed. Why not let the east coast see the Royals or Twins occasionally? Why not occasionally have the whole nation see the same game, like back when ABC had Monday Night Baseball?
post #11534 of 11539 Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Yeah, well. Most North Carolinians don't give a hoot about either the Yankees or the Red Sox, but every time they play each other, if it's on a Saturday when FOX is broadcasting games OTA, there's a good chance our area will wind up with those teams. I miss the days when the TV networks had more variety in the teams they showed. Why not let the east coast see the Royals or Twins occasionally? Why not occasionally have the whole nation see the same game, like back when ABC had Monday Night Baseball?
Source? Here's one that shows that most of NC (notably the Greensboro area) favors the Yankees. Red Sox or Braves second/third. No one team dominates like a market with a local team, but why wouldn't they show what is clearly most popular? It's not like you're getting the Jets-Patriots over the Panthers.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...eball-map.html

In my experience, I knew a lot of Red Sox, Braves, and Yankees fans with the occasional Reds or Orioles thrown in in NC. Many were native NC folks, too.

I agree that the games should be made available nationally, kind of like ABC/ESPN share games regionally.

Last edited by ejb1980; 07-17-2015 at 11:53 AM.
post #11535 of 11539 Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
Source? Here's one that shows that most of NC (notably the Greensboro area) favors the Yankees. Red Sox or Braves second/third. No one team dominates like a market with a local team, but why wouldn't they show what is clearly most popular? It's not like you're getting the Jets-Patriots over the Panthers.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...eball-map.html
Well, that map is based on Facebook likes, so it might not reflect the opinions of the overall viewing public. But even if we accept that the map is a reasonable gauge of viewer preferences, what the NC portion of the map says to me is that this is not a pro baseball state. Rather than catering to the Yankee and Red Sox fans in our midst, MLB and FOX should accept lower ratings now in the interest of building higher interest in baseball down the road. One way to do that would be featuring a wide variety of teams in an effort to get casual fans to watch out of just curiosity. Right now, I bet a lot of marginally interested fans see Yankees versus Red Sox on the schedule once again and decide they'd rather just not watch baseball at all.
post #11536 of 11539 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well, believe it or not guys, I still haven't made the jump from satellite TV to OTA, but it's coming in August. How long have I been talking about this? After researching and talking with the guy who makes the HD Stacker Antenna (Denny is his name), I am going to try out his antenna. From what I've seen from others who have used his antenna, the thing is sturdy and built at top quality - none of these Chinese knock-offs. They all have had great results with it. I think I might be able to tap into the existing wiring in the house instead of having to run all new cable, although I might need to think about doing that anyway. We'll see. I'm getting ready to give oh Indirect TV a call and give them the boot.

I really need to now, because the wife is going to have to stay home with the kid, so we have to cut corners. Satellite TV is the first to go!
post #11537 of 11539 Old Today, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Well, believe it or not guys, I still haven't made the jump from satellite TV to OTA, but it's coming in August. How long have I been talking about this? After researching and talking with the guy who makes the HD Stacker Antenna (Denny is his name), I am going to try out his antenna. From what I've seen from others who have used his antenna, the thing is sturdy and built at top quality - none of these Chinese knock-offs. They all have had great results with it. I think I might be able to tap into the existing wiring in the house instead of having to run all new cable, although I might need to think about doing that anyway. We'll see. I'm getting ready to give oh Indirect TV a call and give them the boot.

I really need to now, because the wife is going to have to stay home with the kid, so we have to cut corners. Satellite TV is the first to go!

I don't know anything about the HD Stacker other than what Denny has on his web page. Just be aware that the HD Stacker does both VHF and UHF. There are only 7 VHF stations in all of North Carolina, and none in the Triad area. Only one in Raleigh (channel 11 ABC) and one in Charlotte (channel 11 PBS) that isn't receivable here because of Raleigh.

We here at the station have had good luck with two antennas split with one aimed towards Sauratown Mt for NBC and PBS and one aimed due south for all the rest. This does not require a rotor like the HD Stacker will so the cost is about the same since you are looking at an average of $250 going the HD Stacker/rotor way or two antennas split. If you have no desire to pull in distant stations, I would save the hassle of having to rotate the antenna for different stations, particularly if you plan on having several TVs on the antenna. You will more times than not run into situations where you want to watch one of the stations south and your wife will want to watch NBC to the northwest on the TV in the bedroom. Which way do you point the HD Stacker. Translated, who watches what they want? Something to think about.

Personally I have a rotor now and I am tired of moving the antenna when I want to watch a station. I am about ready to put up two new antennas (my current antenna was installed in 2002 and the rotor needs work anyway), one pointed northwest and one pointed south and split them. I really haven't had the need to use the long range capability the rotor provides in a while. In the analog days I would DX TV signals. In the digital age with so few stations on VHF, it doesn't make a lot of sense anymore.

Just my thoughts and observations.

post #11538 of 11539 Old Today, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^^The HD Stacker is made by Winegard for Denny's Antenna. So the build quality should indeed be good. But in most cases, the Winegard 7698 or 7697 combo antenna should be just as good for High VHF and UHF.

But since Greensboro channels are all UHF, then 2 DB4 UHF antennas aimed at the 2 tower sites should be the best choice, as Foxeng may have recommended. Connected by a good reverse splitter such as Holland, or Ideal from Lowe's or Home Depot. MCM has their 4-bay UHF antennas on sale for $16.99 with the coupon source codes on their home page. Stellar Labs brand. This should be the least expensive and possibly best option.

You could also try a Clearstream 4 or DB8 and try to find a sweet spot between the 2 towers. And if you have dropouts or a long cable run, then possibly add a good distribution amp such as Channel Master 3410. Or a Winegard LNA-100 inline amp. But your signals may be very strong at your location, so an amp may not be necessary.

You are probably too far to receive Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte, but Roanoke, Va. may be feasible but that would involve a long range strategy.
post #11539 of 11539 Old Today, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post

The question should be in matching an antenna for your reception conditions.. A TVFOOL report should be most revealing.. If you have strong local signals, an inexpensive two-bay bowtie pointed at Sauertown Mt. should do nicely. With no reflector the rest of the stations should be fine off the back of it, depending on where in GBO you are.
My opinion is the simplest arrangement that works is the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception