Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #11791 of 11814 Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't get any stations out of Charlotte but I get all of them out of the triad and all out of Roanoke and it's kinda strange how things work I have a friend who lives on a place called turkey knob kind of like a mountain you can see his place from my yard he can't get stations out of the triad but gets all from Charlotte. Yes radio comes in good up here I got a HD radio hooked up to antenna and i get a lot of stations in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 11814 Old 05-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel23 View Post
In Spring valley Virginia about 7 12 miles north of Galax Virginia you all are the only station that gives weather more precise to where I live.
I believe that area is part of the Greensboro DMA.
post #11793 of 11814 Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 17
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...yO/story.html#
this seems to be an article on cord cutting.....but something seems to be missing
this fellow seems not to have heard of a TV antenna.
post #11794 of 11814 Old 05-12-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It is if you have Direct but not Dish network like I have so I had to get them OTA
post #11795 of 11814 Old 05-18-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 63
ReLeaf antennas are now available May 17, 2016 By Michael Balderston

RALEIGH, N.C.—One man’s trash is another man’s antenna. To coincide with International Recycling Day, TV antenna maker Mohu has announced it has created an HDTV antenna made from recycled cable set-top boxes and post-consumer recycled paper. Mohu says that ReLeaf was created to counteract cable byproduct and energy waste.
ReLeaf’s clamshell, which houses the components that translate TV wave signals into live TV, is made entirely from recycled plastic of discarded cable set-top boxes. According to Mohu, a pound of plastic from set-top boxes can create up to 40 ReLeaf antenna clamshells. Post-consumer recycled paper is used to create the flat portion of the antenna that catches broadcast TV waves.
In addition, ReLeaf is packaged in post-consumer recycled cardboard.
ReLeaf is now available at a price of $49.99. It is sold exclusively at releaf.gomohu.com.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/equipmen...p-boxes/278660

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #11796 of 11814 Old 06-29-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WRAL begins broadcasting in next-gen TV technology
By WRAL.com - Jun. 29, 2016

Raleigh, N.C. — WRAL-TV on Wednesday became the first commercially-licensed television station to broadcast its news under next-generation standards.

Capitol Broadcasting's NBC affiliate in Raleigh-Durham, WRAL, will launch its new ATSC 3.0 station by airing "Take Me Out to the Bulls' Game," a documentary shot, edited and post-produced in 4K/UHD HDR. Following the documentary, the station switched to WRAL News at noon.

"Capitol Broadcasting believes strongly in the future of over-the-air broadcasting, and that ATSC 3.0 represents the technological breakthrough that will enable local stations to remain the primary source of news, information and entertainment on any device," said CBC President and CEO Jim Goodmon. "In fact, next-generation TV will provide the capacity for an extraordinary range of new interactive tools and become a major part of the digital future.

"The new standards, devised by the Advanced Television Systems Committee, are still more than a year away from coming into viewers' homes. WRAL operated its groundbreaking newscast on channel 39 under an experimental license from the Federal Communications Commission. But the standard promises better looking over-the-air pictures and more vibrant colors.

Beyond broadcasting higher quality pictures, ATSC 3.0 will also create new opportunities for a range of interactive content. The broadcast system, based on Internet Protocol, will deliver detailed information during times of crisis through television, tablet or phone.

WRAL's ATSC 3.0 broadcasts will dramatically improve over-the-air reception by antenna, will be better at penetrating buildings and will be received better by mobile devices.

Today, there are only a handful of prototype televisions in the world that can receive the new transmission format. WRAL has one of the prototypes to support the launch.

The new technology could be available for early adopters in North Carolina by late 2017.

http://www.wral.com/wral-to-begin-br...logy/15815109/

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #11797 of 11814 Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wonder if "better at penetrating buildings" means that they intend to move to VHF-Lo after the spectrum auction?
post #11798 of 11814 Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I wonder if "better at penetrating buildings" means that they intend to move to VHF-Lo after the spectrum auction?
Instead of using 8VSB for modulation, ATSC 3.0 uses OFDM for modulation. Depending on the power, it very well could be "better at penetrating buildings" because the modulation type is more robust than 8VSB which falls apart fairly easy with just about anything above small multipath.

My guess is it has the potential to work better at VHF frequencies, but that needs to be tested. WRAL-EX is really the first "real world" test. There have been other tests, but only for limited time frames, like when other stations were off the air.

ATSC 3.0 is in candidate status at this point, but many think it will be approved by the end of the year or first of next. After that, it will be up to stations on whether to move to the new format or not. Receivers are not expected on large scale for at least several years with early adapters sometime in 2017 or 2018 depending on what is finally approved and when.

Last edited by foxeng; 06-30-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #11799 of 11814 Old 06-30-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 141
WRAL leads the way again and continues to innovate with new technology. But looks like it may be a while before any consumer receivers are available for ATSC 3.0. I hope they will initially offer some converter boxes so those nice 4K TVs currently available won't become obsolete right away. But will a full power 3.0 signal need to be 1000kw to reach the current coverage area, or can it be less with the new type of signal? Right now their channel 39 is apparently low power.
post #11800 of 11814 Old 06-30-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I wonder how much it would cost a station to broadcast in both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 over the long haul, say the next 30 years, so OTA viewers can keep using their current digital sets (with the internal ATSC 1.0 tuners) and not have to fuss with any converter boxes? Just keep watching ATSC 1.0 until the set wears out, and then buy an ATSC 3.0 set way down the road, perhaps decades from now?
post #11801 of 11814 Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
No, WRAL is NOT moving from UHF. Period.

ATSC 3.0 is better at penetrating buildings because of the amount of Error Correction that can be used. Saying it is "better" isn't saying a lot.

There is a reason why Wireless Companies and Emergency/City/State/Federal Agencies use UHF.
post #11802 of 11814 Old 06-30-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I wonder how much it would cost a station to broadcast in both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 over the long haul, say the next 30 years, so OTA viewers can keep using their current digital sets (with the internal ATSC 1.0 tuners) and not have to fuss with any converter boxes? Just keep watching ATSC 1.0 until the set wears out, and then buy an ATSC 3.0 set way down the road, perhaps decades from now?
You will be able to use ATSC 1.0 for several years. But it won't be pretty.
post #11803 of 11814 Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WRAL leads the way again and continues to innovate with new technology. But looks like it may be a while before any consumer receivers are available for ATSC 3.0. I hope they will initially offer some converter boxes so those nice 4K TVs currently available won't become obsolete right away. But will a full power 3.0 signal need to be 1000kw to reach the current coverage area, or can it be less with the new type of signal? Right now their channel 39 is apparently low power.

It's just a test signal - not their final position/power.

Will be gone with the rest of stations on Channel 39 after Broadcast Auction is over.
post #11804 of 11814 Old 07-01-2016, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
It's just a test signal - not their final position/power.

Will be gone with the rest of stations on Channel 39 after Broadcast Auction is over.
Yes I know it is a temporary test signal. But will a full power UHF signal on ATSC 3.0 remain 1000kw or will it be able to achieve the same coverage area with less power?
post #11805 of 11814 Old 07-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
WRAL-EX's antenna is located at 1798' AGL, ERP: 40Kw Channel:39 Antenna is highly directional at 312 degrees which points is back toward downtown Raleigh.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #11806 of 11814 Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Yes I know it is a temporary test signal. But will a full power UHF signal on ATSC 3.0 remain 1000kw or will it be able to achieve the same coverage area with less power?
TV RF Power was reduced in 2009 not because of the change from NTSC to ATSC 1.0 but due to the change from Analog to Digital.

As the RF Plant is remaining digital, no elements such as Power would change on the license.

This does not mean there will could not be differences.

The amount of Error Correction is variable in ATSC 3.0 depending on what one is trying to accomplish (and EC takes up Bandwidth).

So if an ATSC 3.0 station was pushing mobile reception with high EC during the day and emphasis on UHD Content at night, the EC COULD be different at different times per service. That means you might be able to get the station when using higher EC and NOT when it is not. A little more complicated than this, but that is the basic premise.

Also, SFN is a real option with ATSC 3.0. That means different Transmitters around the Market.

For example, WRAL could go SFN with a signal around the Chatham County Line (WUNC Tower and former 93.9 and G105 Towers) to serve Chapel Hill and western part of market, a transmitter in Durham (maybe the WDNC transmitter site), one in Raleigh and one in Fayetteville (and more if they wanted).

That way they could insert local Fayetteville Commercials in Fayetteville- or even Broadcast a UNC Game in Chapel Hill, a Duke Game in Durham and a State Game in Raleigh at the same time!

However, if that was the case, obviously all transmitter sites would not be 1M Watts.

As this clearly runs up Expenses, SFN will probably not be used in the beginning - not to mention the FCC hasn't signed off on it. (It is being tested on a Single Channel in DC AND Baltimore currently), just as WRAL is testing UHD on channel 39.
post #11807 of 11814 Old 07-04-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That is an unknown at this point. ATSC 1.0 uses 8VSB. ATSC 3.0 uses OFDM. OFDM is more robust. Don't know about the other test stations, but WRAL-EX (experimental) is classified as LP in the FCC database with a power of 40kw. Normal LP ceiling is 15kw.

post #11808 of 11814 Old 07-05-2016, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
It's filed as an LP because it's experimental and has to protect all other operations, including LPTV stations. It was originally filed at 50 kW but was dropped to 40 kW after it failed to pass interference testing.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11809 of 11814 Old 07-05-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
It's filed as an LP because it's experimental and has to protect all other operations, including LPTV stations. It was originally filed at 50 kW but was dropped to 40 kW after it failed to pass interference testing.

- Trip
And from a man who would know first hand. Thanks for the info!

post #11810 of 11814 Old 07-15-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Survey: 17 Percent of U.S. Households Are OTA-Only

And then... the repack

July 13, 2016
Posted by Deborah D. McAdams

NEW YORK—More and more folks are embracing over-the-air television. Recent findings from market researcher GfK indicate that 17 percent U.S. TV households rely on “broadcast-only” television reception, up from 15 percent in 2015. Concurrently 25 percent now have no cable and satellite reception.

“The fact that a statistically significant increase in broadcast-only reception occurred over just one year may be further proof that the cord-cutting/cord-never phenomenon is accelerating,” said David Tice, senior vice president in GfK’s Media & Entertainment practice. “If you include homes that have no TVs at all—about 3 percent of all households—then less than three quarters, or 73 percent, of U.S. homes continue to have pay TV service, with the attendant implications for all stakeholders—not just the pay TV services themselves, but also networks, content providers, and advertisers.”

The research, from GfK’s 2016 “Ownership and Trend Report” from The Home Technology Monitor, shows that 17 percent of U.S. TV households now rely on broadcast-only or over-the-air reception, up from 15 percent in 2015. Another 6 percent say they only use Internet services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, or YouTube and do not have traditional broadcast or pay TV reception at all; this compares with 4 percent a year ago.

Further, TV households with a resident between 18 and 34 years old are much more likely to be opting for alternatives to cable and satellite; 22 percent of these homes are using broadcast-only reception, versus 17 percent of all U.S. households, and 13 percent are only watching an Internet service on their TV sets, versus 6 percent of all TV homes. Overall, 38 percent of 18-to-34 households rely on some kind of alternative TV reception or video source, versus 25 percent of all homes.

On the other hand, households with at least one resident age 50 or above have higher rates of subscribing to cable or satellite services. More than eight in 10, or 82 percent, have some sort of pay TV subscription, versus 75 percent of all U.S. TV households. The difference comes almost exclusively in levels of cable subscription, with 46 percent of 50+ homes paying for cable reception, compared with a U.S. average of 41 percent.

Broadcast-only reception is more common in TV households earning under $30,000 per year—26 percent, versus 17 percent among all TV homes—and those with Hispanic residents—24 percent. Households with incomes of $50,000 a year or more post higher levels of satellite subscription—27 percent, compared to an average of 21 percent.

The study was conducted among 3,009 U.S. households, including representative levels of non-TV, non-internet, cell-phone-only, and Spanish dominant homes.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/000...otaonly/278987

post #11811 of 11814 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

For younger Forum members, a little info on what's to come.
All of us have an interest in changing television transmission standards. We older.ones probably don't need to be concerned with the demise of AM and FM radio, but that is coming. As far as broadcasting goes, AM and FM analog are on the way out. There may be broadcasting on the bands now used by AM and FM, but it will be digital. Norway is already on the way, and other countries will follow. The US will take longer than some other countries to get this done and I'm sure I will not see it. But younger people have it to look to.
From now on television and radio broadcasting, for as long as it continues, will never be as stable as I once knew it.
post #11812 of 11814 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
There is no plan to migrate AM or FM to digital in the United States. Given how much of a flop IBOC has been, I wouldn't bet on any movement in that area any time soon.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11813 of 11814 Old Today, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is no plan to migrate AM or FM to digital in the United States. Given how much of a flop IBOC has been, I wouldn't bet on any movement in that area any time soon.

- Trip
Certainly not soon. 20 years at least, probably closer to 40.. IBOC is much like AM Stereo, it just seemed like a good idea. Within 20 years much of the world will be all digital, as to broadcasting.. Car radios will keep the US analog for a while longer.
post #11814 of 11814 Old Today, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Trip
I think the HD Radio needs to be marketed and promoted better. And IBOC receivers should now be common in all radios. That is part of the problem. You can't go into Walmart or Best Buy and buy an HD Radio receiver, except for some of the car radios. Sparc Radio has HD Radios on Amazon, and Sangean is now releasing new versions. So perhaps this may improve a bit.

And some radio stations have increased their HD power and have good, tall transmitting antennas. These stations have good, reliable signals and many offer multiplexing. WLNK in Charlotte has a separate Shivley panel antenna for HD Radio, and increased to maximum power from a very tall WBTV tower. They have a very good strong signal for HD, despite an annoying low power analog FM signal on the same frequency some 75 miles away here in Upstate SC. But the rabbit ears lock on consistent HD reception at my location, despite the analog interference in the car. Hopefully more stations can increase to full HD power and improve their transmission signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception