Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 396 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
post #11851 of 11870 Unread 09-21-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If you are on Time-Warner and have lost WGHP and WXII, you need to contact TWC. They will say it isn't their problem, but it is. You have to just push back. The CSRs appear to not know even though I was told they do.

Last week TWC made some changes of the QAM channels. There is a device called a "trap" on the pole in front of the home that needs to be removed. This trap was used years ago to remove certain channels so they could not be seen if you didn't subscribe to them. Some of these traps were never removed. They need to remove this trap and you will receive WGHP and WXII.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 11870 Unread 09-22-2016, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I m new in the area and I've been around OTA for a few years. I brought my antennas from Connecticut where they were pointing to New York ( Empire State building) and getting the channels with 85% strength. I was getting 60 channels.

My antennas Antennas Direct HD91XG for UHF and Winegard YA-1713 for 7 to 13 VHF channel.

The same combo I set up here in Oak Ridge above my roof around 24 FT high. I got 45 channels. I did got channel 7 WDBJ from Roanoke VA with 45% strength and Univision (40) from outside Raleigh with less of 50%. I am using a single pole with a Winegard amp with UHF/VHF.

91XG is pointing close to US220/I73 with a 100% strength from High Point and the same antenna is receiving Sauratown MT channel with 60% solid. PBS, NBC. Winegard YA-1713 is pointing North .

Now I am working to ground the pole/cable to ground. I have to say the combo survived Hurricane Sandy 6 years ago.
post #11853 of 11870 Unread 09-23-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebrimal View Post
I m new in the area and I've been around OTA for a few years. I brought my antennas from Connecticut where they were pointing to New York ( Empire State building) and getting the channels with 85% strength. I was getting 60 channels.

My antennas Antennas Direct HD91XG for UHF and Winegard YA-1713 for 7 to 13 VHF channel.

The same combo I set up here in Oak Ridge above my roof around 24 FT high. I got 45 channels. I did got channel 7 WDBJ from Roanoke VA with 45% strength and Univision (40) from outside Raleigh with less of 50%. I am using a single pole with a Winegard amp with UHF/VHF.

91XG is pointing close to US220/I73 with a 100% strength from High Point and the same antenna is receiving Sauratown MT channel with 60% solid. PBS, NBC. Winegard YA-1713 is pointing North .

Now I am working to ground the pole/cable to ground. I have to say the combo survived Hurricane Sandy 6 years ago.
Hi lebrimal,

Welcome to the area. The VHF antenna will probably not do you much good since there are only two VHF Hi stations you might be able to pick up, WTVD 11 in Raleigh and WSET 13 in Lynch, VA. There is a channel 3 PBS in Roanoke, but people have a hard time getting them this far south. All the other stations are UHF.

Locally the vast majority of stations are basically located in two compact areas. Sauratown Mt north of Winston-Salem is the NBC and PBS stations. Due south from Greensboro and north of Asheboro along US 220/I 73 are the rest. And if you are into ION programming, the transmitter is at Reidsville.

CBS (2) is on channel 51
FOX (8) is on channel 35
NBC (12) is on channel 31
ION (16) is on channel 14
CW (20) is on channel 19
PBS (26) is on channel 32
ABC (45) is on channel 29
MY NETWORK (48) is on channel 33

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #11854 of 11870 Unread 09-23-2016, 03:16 PM

Liked: 0
thank you, I just discover a new channel Fox 27 WFXR from Roanoke VA with a quite strong signal 50% strength, but my wife and I felt in love with Fox 8 from High Point. I hope a lot folks get into OTA in this area, driving around I saw a couple of DB8 antennas so they might be in the hobby.
post #11855 of 11870 Unread 09-26-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebrimal View Post
thank you, I just discover a new channel Fox 27 WFXR from Roanoke VA with a quite strong signal 50% strength, but my wife and I felt in love with Fox 8 from High Point. I hope a lot folks get into OTA in this area, driving around I saw a couple of DB8 antennas so they might be in the hobby.
Cord cutting is becoming very popular around here. Hear about it all the time. It seems from the calls I take, TWC is not well liked.

post #11856 of 11870 Unread 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10
Hi

On Monday Oct 3rd, I lost channels 2 - WFMY, 8 - WGHP and 48 - MY48. I have been receiving these channels easily for years at my location but they disappeared. I get "Failed To Receive Broadcast" on my TV. I have checked all connections to see if they are loose but they're not, the cables are perfect. I received the same channels on Sunday with no problem but they are gone now.

I've had channels disappear before for a few hours but its going on 4 days now. I hope they come back or I'll have to get cable for these basic channels, something I don't want to do. I use a Terk HDTVA antenna. It's been working fine for many years. I also have a pair of UHF/VHF amplifiers from Winegard models DA-0405 & DA-205. Any help would be useful especially from foxeng. I live on a third floor apartment in Clemmons by the way, so is it atmospheric or something else?

I receive all the other channels with no problem, it's just those 3 channels.
Thanks
post #11857 of 11870 Unread 10-06-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiix13 View Post
Hi

On Monday Oct 3rd, I lost channels 2 - WFMY, 8 - WGHP and 48 - MY48. I have been receiving these channels easily for years at my location but they disappeared. I get "Failed To Receive Broadcast" on my TV. I have checked all connections to see if they are loose but they're not, the cables are perfect. I received the same channels on Sunday with no problem but they are gone now.

I've had channels disappear before for a few hours but its going on 4 days now. I hope they come back or I'll have to get cable for these basic channels, something I don't want to do. I use a Terk HDTVA antenna. It's been working fine for many years. I also have a pair of UHF/VHF amplifiers from Winegard models DA-0405 & DA-205. Any help would be useful especially from foxeng. I live on a third floor apartment in Clemmons by the way, so is it atmospheric or something else?

I receive all the other channels with no problem, it's just those 3 channels.
Thanks
If you are having issues with multiple channels all in the same direction, it isn't with the stations. You may have antenna issue or you are getting local interference in that direction or since you are using an indoor antenna, you may need to just move it to a different location in you are apartment. Indoor antennas are highly suspectable to multipath and if you are receiving too much, the TV will not decode. It could be you moved some furniture around or if you antenna is close to a inside wall that adjoins with your neighbor, they have have moved some furniture. The good news is, what ever the issue is, it is within your sphere to correct it. You don't have to wait for someone else to fix it.

post #11858 of 11870 Unread 10-06-2016, 02:27 PM

Thanks foxeng
No, there was no moving of furniture or anything like that. As for receiving too many channels I don't think that is the problem I figured it wasn't the stations fault but there might be a new source of interference between the transmitter and me. Like I said I have been getting the signal for years and as of last Monday - nothing on those particular channels. If there is a source of interference why am I getting other channels? I went to antennaweb.org and saw the map. I know I can fix, it would probably involve spending money like always. I guess I will have to watch other channels from now on when the shows I like on FOX or CBS are on.
post #11859 of 11870 Unread 10-06-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I had a Winegard amp that was going out, and it would get some channels, and not others. Maybe take the amps out of the mix, or try another antenna...
post #11860 of 11870 Unread 10-06-2016, 04:04 PM

I did that, I hooked the antenna directly to the TV, nothing. I also rescanned the channels and of course the channels 2, 8 and 48 are now gone. I even measured the distance on Google Maps of WGHP's transmitter in Sophia to my exact location - 32.80 miles (52.79km). Well within the specs of my antenna.

I haven't a clue, the antenna is an indoor antenna and I haven't the means to mount one outside if I were to buy a new one, so any recommendations for a new one? I'm thinking of an Antenna Direct Model, a clearstream model. I could always jury-rig a way to mount it high inside my apartment. I have a high ceiling in the living room because I live on the 3rd floor.

Maybe I need a new Tuner, my TV is from 2009 (Sharp Aquos LC-37D64U) but it has reliable and I don't know why this is happening right now. It's not the end of the world by any means, it's inconvenient that's all.

Hopefully the channels will magically reappear someday....
post #11861 of 11870 Unread 10-06-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Another thing to try if you don't mind having to reset your clocks is turn off circuit breakers one at a time and scan again each time you try a breaker to see if some appliance is making noise. Many times things like dimmers or small generators will disrupt radio and TV.
post #11862 of 11870 Unread 10-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Interesting idea but there are no dimmers, small generators or any type of electrical interference that would cause my TV problems in my apartment. I have normal light switches and no one is occupying the apartment below me or beside me. These apartment don't have dimmers installed.

I am getting WXII at 85+ signal strength, that was what I usually received with WFMY previously. I'm perplexed as to what is going on. It's like someone, somewhere has put up a wall of interference between me and those TV transmitters.
post #11863 of 11870 Unread 10-11-2016, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiix13 View Post
Interesting idea but there are no dimmers, small generators or any type of electrical interference that would cause my TV problems in my apartment. I have normal light switches and no one is occupying the apartment below me or beside me. These apartment don't have dimmers installed.

I am getting WXII at 85+ signal strength, that was what I usually received with WFMY previously. I'm perplexed as to what is going on. It's like someone, somewhere has put up a wall of interference between me and those TV transmitters.
What I would do is take a 2 or three foot length of coax, screw one end into the TV, and strip the insulation off the the other and pull the outside conductor (mesh) down a couple of inches.(so the inner conductor is separated from the outer mesh) then move the bare end one way and another after you manually entered the channel number of one of the missing stations (rf 51, 33, 35). If you can't manually enter a channel, then do a scan several times. You may get no results, but will not have hurt anything trying.
If you do get one of the missing stations, it means your antenna has failed either mechanically, or by mis-orientation.
post #11864 of 11870 Unread 10-11-2016, 10:32 AM

Use the coax as an antenna itself, I might try that but I've been meaning to buy a new antenna anyways. Let's see how that works but I hope it's just the antenna and not where I live.
post #11865 of 11870 Unread 10-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

I get rumors in my ears (probably originating from those that should not be saying anything) that the RF auction is not working as some might have thought.
There is some talk, even, that the whole business might need rethinking.
I do not know what is so just now. There do seem to be 3 groups in which most influential people seem to fall.
1) the Congressional plan should go forward, no matter what
2) broadcast TV is too much trouble, eliminate it soon or sooner
3) Reworking broadcast spectrum should wait for ATSC 3 to be practical.
The FCC is now seems firm that it will allow ATSC 3 without mandating it. We may get parts of all three philosophies , maybe not suiting any in particular.
I think Congress needs to get involved, again.
post #11866 of 11870 Unread 10-28-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Not sure what rumors you're hearing, but it's working as designed.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11867 of 11870 Unread 10-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Not sure what rumors you're hearing, but it's working as designed.

- Trip
I believe you, Trip. Even if the Congressional plan goes full term (my guess is it will), things might not wind up as generally imagined.
post #11868 of 11870 Unread 11-23-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For those OTA, I hope to have my new transmitter on the air by Christmas. Now that would be a nice Christmas present since I didn't ask for it. But I didn't turn it down. No sir!

post #11869 of 11870 Unread 11-23-2016, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks, looking forward to seeing if it improve's my reception.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #11870 of 11870 Unread Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiest View Post
Thanks, looking forward to seeing if it improve's my reception.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Won't be increasing coverage since we are already at the max power the FCC allows on UHF, 1 million watts, but new technology could make an iffy signal more stable. Most people won't see any difference. It will certainly be more cost effective to operate, that is for sure! And it future proofs for the foreseeable future as well. We are very excited!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception