Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
Wow that's a lot of copper and a impressive installation too. Are you keeping the old transmitter or shipping it off?
That is why we have cameras and alarms and locks everywhere and local law enforcement keeps a sharp eye out! As far as the old transmitter, that determination hasn't been made yet. The manufacturer has closed its doors so getting support and parts for it is tough. My own wish would be to sell it to another station that has that model transmitter and they can either use it on air or part it out, but I won't make that decision. Someone higher up the food chain will.

We do have it making power now. It will be next week, before we put it on air. We don't put ANTYHING mission critical on the air on a Friday! A sure disaster to happen! We still have a few tings left to do before we can put it on air for good. It is all looking pretty good though. Testing has gone well so far. Here is a picture of half of it making power I took this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161215_220941.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	1834353  

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
That is why we have cameras and alarms and locks everywhere and local law enforcement keeps a sharp eye out! As far as the old transmitter, that determination hasn't been made yet. The manufacturer has closed its doors so getting support and parts for it is tough. My own wish would be to sell it to another station that has that model transmitter and they can either use it on air or part it out, but I won't make that decision. Someone higher up the food chain will.

We do have it making power now. It will be next week, before we put it on air. We don't put ANTYHING mission critical on the air on a Friday! A sure disaster to happen! We still have a few tings left to do before we can put it on air for good. It is all looking pretty good though. Testing has gone well so far. Here is a picture of half of it making power I took this morning.
Is the new transmitter more optimized for digital transmission than the old one? And can you name the manufacturer?
Old 12-17-2016, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Is the new transmitter more optimized for digital transmission than the old one? And can you name the manufacturer?
Tyler, no matter the situation it will remain an RF signal just the container content is different. Also keep in mind the more advanced the modulation scheme becomes the less distance you can cover and more error correction is needed as well.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Not so much optimized for digital. RF is RF is RF. Optimized for better operating cost! The old transmitter is a tube type. The new one is all solid state. They have gotten the cost of solid state down to where it is comparable in price to the tube with a lot less maintenance. WRAL is running the same transmitter we have bought (Gates-Air Maxiva ULX), just a lower power (single rack) for their ATSC3.0 experimental station. Our transmitter is also ATSC3.0 compatible when the standard is approved, but we don't have the software for it and who knows what the repack will bring. And there are just so many industry wide unanswered questions about how to switch to ATSC3.0.

The new one is certainly a MUCH, MUCH quieter transmitter. Hate to retire the old transmitter, but the manufacturer was bought out for its intellectual property and then summarily scuttled. The transmitter is still well within life expectancy, but you look at the non support of it and we have the only one in the company, so you have to ask yourself what does it really cost you to keep it? We did have to run at half power for 45 days about a year ago as we were looking for a part to go in it. So here we are.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
Old 12-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Are those copper cylinders wave guides, or am I still in the Dark Ages?
Old 12-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
Are those copper cylinders wave guides, or am I still in the Dark Ages?
They are coax. Just not flexible. Waveguide isn't used much anymore.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
They are coax. Just not flexible. Waveguide isn't used much anymore.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was told RCA guaranteed support for 10 years when they exited the broadcast equipment business, but it sounds like your transmitter manufacturer left you high and dry.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I was told RCA guaranteed support for 10 years when they exited the broadcast equipment business, but it sounds like your transmitter manufacturer left you high and dry.
State of business these days.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 PM

Around 3:45 this afternoon we switched the new transmitter on air. So far it is looking pretty good. Still some cleanup to do on it, but it has gone pretty well.
Retspin likes this.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
A lot of transmitter manufacturers (Axcera, LARCAN, Acrodyne) went out of business after the DTV conversion was done. I would guess that the transmitter was from one of the first two manufacturers since Sinclair owned Acrodyne and used Rohde & Schwarz exciters in their rigs. Dielectric (antenna manufacturer) nearly went completely out of business until Sinclair saved them at the last minute realizing how much they need the organization since most of their stations were equipped with Dielectric antennas.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 AM

Full power! 100% Got to love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_203132-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1845817  
Retspin likes this.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone in the Triad using an AM21 to view local channels OTA via DirecTV? If so, are you able to get WXII that way?
Old 01-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just turned to WXII in order to watch the football game and DirecTV pulled the channel. Any details on this?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarrier View Post
Just turned to WXII in order to watch the football game and DirecTV pulled the channel. Any details on this?
WXII ran scrolling warnings across the screen for the past several days warning that DirecTV might be cutting off access if the retrans agreement dispute wasn't settled by the 31st.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
WXII ran scrolling warnings across the screen for the past several days warning that DirecTV might be cutting off access if the retrans agreement dispute wasn't settled by the 31st.
Hearst has pulled its local stations from DirecTV due to a contract dispute. In addition to WXII-12, they have pulled WYFF-4 in Asheville and Greenville-Spartanburg. Usually they reach some sort of last minute agreement, so eventually this latest issue should hopefully be resolved. Meanwhile it may help to use an antenna.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I assume at 27.3 kW of transmitted power, that little SMA RF OUT on the front panel is a coupled monitor port. Coupled WAY down.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My WGHP is is not coming in

I noticed near the end of the football game that my WGHP signal was starting to go in and out, and now it is totally out with no signal on my TV's signal meter, all of the other stations from that direction are coming in with a strong signal. Is there a transmitter problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement