Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
post #11911 of 11937 Unread 03-05-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Since WBTV operates on channel 23, it's possible that they will stay where they are with no changes. We'll know more when the full list is released unless the station volunteers the information beforehand. Why don't you contact them and ask?
Well most stations have chosen not to publicly announce before the FCC does at the end of March. So they may not be able to comment yet. Although one could always inquire as you suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 11937 Unread 03-05-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
Will there be a lot of broadcasters in the LO zone? Should I go ahead and get a VHF LO antenna before the rush or just wait? My area of course already has channels on or real close by on 8, 9,10,11,12,13, so I know that channels on say 44,46,47, will be looking for ?
Don't know about the number of stations moving to VHF-Low, but a rumor I have heard says that some VHF-High stations are being repacked within VHF-High.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #11913 of 11937 Unread 03-05-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well most stations have chosen not to publicly announce before the FCC does at the end of March. So they may not be able to comment yet. Although one could always inquire as you suggest.
Then ask them.... Maybe they don't realize anyone cares.

post #11914 of 11937 Unread 03-05-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That's interesting Foxeng...

Projectsho89,

I don't think the general public knows anything about this. There is so much going on to begin with, and it doesn't make any news that I know of... Too bad, as when it hits the fan I doubt many will think it's for the best. Maybe I'm old fashioned though, and they will want it, we shall see.
post #11915 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then ask them.... Maybe they don't realize anyone cares.
I just haven't really gotten around to it. But it can be quite a challenge to get a knowledgeable live voice on the phone at any type of company these days. Usually you get transferred to somebody's voice mail and never hear back.
post #11916 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just haven't really gotten around to it. But it can be quite a challenge to get a knowledgeable live voice on the phone at any type of company these days. Usually you get transferred to somebody's voice mail and never hear back.
Quit making excuses. Call or email.
post #11917 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Quit making excuses. Call or email.
Since we are still in the FCC quiet period, I would not hold my breath for getting that information.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #11918 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Since we are still in the FCC quiet period, I would not hold my breath for getting that information.
Perhaps you missed it, but the FCC waived that quiet period a month ago for stations.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...A-17-134A1.pdf
post #11919 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nope..I did not.. you need to actually read what it says,,,and based on very highly paid Washington legal counsel who probably make more than you and I combined on a good day.....there is a reason I and many others are not commenting on what is in the letters we have received until the FCC releases their official assignments later this month..or very early April. ...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 03-06-2017 at 05:55 PM.
post #11920 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Nope..I did not.. you need to actually read what it says,,,and based on very highly paid Washington legal counsel who probably make more than you and I combined on a good day.....there is a reason I and many others are not commenting on what is in the letters we have received until the FCC releases their official assignments later this month..or very early April. ...
I wish I knew what that reasoning was. So do the other confused people at my workplace who can't understand why stations are treating the new channel assignments like they're great secrets. We sent the letters so stations could share their channel assignments and get a jump start on planning. If they had to be kept secret, that would fly in the face of the goal of the letters.

And, of course, a number of stations have announced their channel assignments, so...

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11921 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I wish I knew what that reasoning was. So do the other confused people at my workplace who can't understand why stations are treating the new channel assignments like they're great secrets. We sent the letters so stations could share their channel assignments and get a jump start on planning. If they had to be kept secret, that would fly in the face of the goal of the letters.

And, of course, a number of stations have announced their channel assignments, so...

- Trip
"very highly paid Washington legal counsel"

Bob

post #11922 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We had two concalls today with said legal counsel..this is gonna be fun..

Bob

post #11923 of 11937 Unread 03-06-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Maybe the stations and groups of stations just don't want to run the risk of confusing the general public by dribbling out news of the changes. If a whole bunch of stations make announcements at the same time, around the time when the FCC issues its final announcements concerning the results of the auction, then it won't seem so strange to the public. Most people in the general public don't even know that there is a difference between a physical channel number and the virtual channel number.
post #11924 of 11937 Unread 03-07-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I figured so I haven't really tried to find out. And as mentioned the lawyers probably told them to keep quiet until the FCC releases.
post #11925 of 11937 Unread 03-07-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"very highly paid Washington legal counsel"
One would think that such a brain trust would be able to accurately discern both the letter and the intent of the FCC's waiver. One would also think that they'd be smart enough to call the FCC if there was any doubt or concern regarding the waiver notice.

Maybe Trip's office needs to make it plainer to the stations so even the brain trust can understand that there's nothing left that is required to be keep confidential.

Oh well, maybe comedian Ron White was on to something regarding what cannot be fixed.
post #11926 of 11937 Unread 03-08-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
One would think that such a brain trust would be able to accurately discern both the letter and the intent of the FCC's waiver. One would also think that they'd be smart enough to call the FCC if there was any doubt or concern regarding the waiver notice.

Maybe Trip's office needs to make it plainer to the stations so even the brain trust can understand that there's nothing left that is required to be keep confidential.

Oh well, maybe comedian Ron White was on to something regarding what cannot be fixed.
Because of the number of rumors around, my guess is the broadcasters are talking among themselves and as in any game of retell, some of the facts are getting retold incorrectly, hence the number of competing rumors floating around.

I know of several rumors about my own station that are wrong and other rumors I know that are true about other stations. Until public statements are made, no one but the individual stations will know which rumors about them are true or not. Just the way it is.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Last edited by foxeng; 03-08-2017 at 06:44 AM.
post #11927 of 11937 Unread 03-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
http://current.org/2017/03/public-tv...-new-channels/
Interesting take on things, most interesting the effect that ATSC 3.0 might have, and how public radio may be effected by the repack.
post #11928 of 11937 Unread 03-15-2017, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

According to the NAB "leak" http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp .....there may be no real surprises in this market....yet.
The only thing I thought interesting was that WXII was moving to channel 16, something that answers one question, and raises others. But no point in speculating.
post #11929 of 11937 Unread 03-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Curious how rumors are sometimes correct. All but one of the full power UNC-TV transmitters are moving.
post #11930 of 11937 Unread 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
According to the NAB "leak" http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp .....there may be no real surprises in this market....yet.
The only thing I thought interesting was that WXII was moving to channel 16, something that answers one question, and raises others. But no point in speculating.
So it looks like many stations have already self reported despite other comments on here which indicated they would wait till the end of March or beginning of April. Let's just hope this is the last repack for many years.
post #11931 of 11937 Unread 03-20-2017, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
So it looks like many stations have already self reported despite other comments on here which indicated they would wait till the end of March or beginning of April. Let's just hope this is the last repack for many years.
I attempted a discussion on this a while back. Unfortunately, I mentioned the "R" word and the discussion was stopped.
Once down the Digital Road, there are no straightaways. And no U-turns. Just roads under construction. And once completed, the roads are closed, and we turn onto a new road under construction. .
post #11932 of 11937 Unread 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully the same coverage areas will be maintained, especially in fringe areas. Despite many channels reducing power. But I do wonder if they upgrade to ATSC 3.0 if the channels will change yet again.
post #11933 of 11937 Unread 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hopefully the same coverage areas will be maintained, especially in fringe areas. Despite many channels reducing power. But I do wonder if they upgrade to ATSC 3.0 if the channels will change yet again.

That's a good point about the coverage areas. I would be interested in seeing new coverage maps once the dust settles.
post #11934 of 11937 Unread Yesterday, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a good point about the coverage areas. I would be interested in seeing new coverage maps once the dust settles.
I know you have stated you previously received the Charlotte signals in Winston-Salem. Including WBTV, WCCB, and WSOC. Hopefully that will continue to be the case after the reassignment and changes occur. The Greensboro locals should not be an issue, but I am concerned about the fringe stations in various markets.
post #11935 of 11937 Unread Yesterday, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This dust may not settle. 25 years ago ATSC 1 was seen as the rejuvenator of broadcast TV. And, a long term, ongoing standard, like NTSC
that improved and continued for 6 decades. But, at the NTSC shutdown, ATSC 1 was in the terminal ward, even as it became the new standard..From now on, any new technology born will have a hearse waiting for it outside.
post #11936 of 11937 Unread Today, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The FCC has publicly stated that coverage areas have been preserved. The reduced power levels is due to the lower the frequency, the less power it takes to maintain the same coverage area. For those on the fringe of other market stations, you may see an improvement of other market stations or you may see a worsening. Just depends on stations on other adjacent channels. I can say from what I am hearing is that stations appear to be clustered together in channel groups based on physical location of the transmitters not markets. That certainly appears to be the case with several NC markets.

post #11937 of 11937 Unread Today, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

I guess time will tell about the coverage. But that's good to know the FCC is at least claiming coverage areas will be preserved. Hopefully things will not be so adversely affected by lower power levels with the physical height of the towers being maintained. But these repacks never appear to be a good thing for broadcasters and the viewing public. Unfortunately, the lack of general public awareness and understanding has only facilitated more uncertainties regarding the future of broadcasting as we know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception