Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 400 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #11971 of 11993 Old 05-12-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I was watching "Andy Griffith" earlier today and got to thinking about WFMY. Do they still air "Andy Griffith" every day? I remember up until a few years ago when closed captioning requirements kicked in for all programming they still would air that show from old 16mm copies they had transferred to videotape as opposed to the "edited" versions the syndicators provided. I can still remember seeing segments on WFMY that I had never seen before. A few of those segments are still missing from the DVDs even today.

I hope WFMY didn't chunk all those old tapes when they were forced to switch, but I bet they did sadly. I wish I had recorded more of those episodes to VHS back when I had WFMY years ago. It was great to see the local promos for the "themes" and groups of episodes they use to air.
Yes. Andy still runs on WFMY. 2pm in the afternoon. It has continuously run on WFMY since it debuted on CBS back in the 60's.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 11993 Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Yes. Andy still runs on WFMY. 2pm in the afternoon. It has continuously run on WFMY since it debuted on CBS back in the 60's.
I wonder if it's still on WDBJ as well...
post #11973 of 11993 Old 05-12-2017, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
I wonder if it's still on WDBJ as well...
Yep.

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlisti...o?stnNum=11378

5:30PM.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11974 of 11993 Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Andy's show will be on both WFMY and WDBJ long after his grandchildren pass away...

Last edited by Inundated; 05-12-2017 at 05:32 PM.
post #11975 of 11993 Old 05-13-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
But Zap2it says 4pm, with The Talk airing at 2.

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #11976 of 11993 Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 AM

Per an FCC application filed yesterday, WCWG will channel share on WXII's signal with at least one 720p and one 480i channel.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #11977 of 11993 Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Per an FCC application filed yesterday, WCWG will channel share on WXII's signal with at least one 720p and one 480i channel.

- Trip
Will Lockwood still own the CW affiliation or is it acquired by Hearst? Hopefully WXII will remain 1080i and WCWG will be 720p.
post #11978 of 11993 Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

- Trip
Link please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Will Lockwood still own the CW affiliation or is it acquired by Hearst? Hopefully WXII will remain 1080i and WCWG will be 720p.
There will still be two separate licenses, one for WCWG and one for WXII. Of course, WXII could go even further and produce a newscast for WCWG, and WCWG would act as an alternate NBC affiliate when WXII has to preempt network shows.

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #11979 of 11993 Old 06-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
Link please?

There will still be two separate licenses, one for WCWG and one for WXII. Of course, WXII could go even further and produce a newscast for WCWG, and WCWG would act as an alternate NBC affiliate when WXII has to preempt network shows.
I guess we have to be thankful that the CW network is the only Triad local that we lost to the auction (with its own separate OTA signal). If could have been worse. But whatever the case, hopefully this will not compromise the signal of WXII once the CW network is moved over to channel 12.
post #11980 of 11993 Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I guess we have to be thankful that the CW network is the only Triad local that we lost to the auction (with its own separate OTA signal). If could have been worse. But whatever the case, hopefully this will not compromise the signal of WXII once the CW network is moved over to channel 12.
The concern will be preserving the HD video quality. But WSOC has done very good job with 2 HD channels on 9.1 and 9.2 since they added Telemundo. So it can be done.
post #11981 of 11993 Old 06-28-2017, 06:30 AM

Just heard that WCWG 20 (19) will officially turn their transmitter off and begin leased spectrum broadcasting on WXII July 31st. The first reaction locally of the Spectrum Auction.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #11982 of 11993 Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I haven't been here in awhile, so I'm trying to catch up on the latest. So, we are losing the CW network via OTA? Is this what I'm hearing? Or, it's just being moved under the WXII umbrella of stations?
post #11983 of 11993 Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
I haven't been here in awhile, so I'm trying to catch up on the latest. So, we are losing the CW network via OTA? Is this what I'm hearing? Or, it's just being moved under the WXII umbrella of stations?
It should be carried as a subchannel of WXII signal.
post #11984 of 11993 Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just heard that WCWG 20 (19) will officially turn their transmitter off and begin leased spectrum broadcasting on WXII July 31st. The first reaction locally of the Spectrum Auction.
Should make room for WSOC moving to 19.
post #11985 of 11993 Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
It should be carried as a subchannel of WXII signal.
I've been looking, but I have seen no announcements on either channel via a crawl or anything - but maybe I haven't looked hard enough...

I take it a simple rescan on the 31st fixes everything, right?
post #11986 of 11993 Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post
I've been looking, but I have seen no announcements on either channel via a crawl or anything - but maybe I haven't looked hard enough...

I take it a simple rescan on the 31st fixes everything, right?
WCWG should be running some type of legal type announcement. You may not be watching when they are running. As far as a crawl or something, that part is up to them. I don't think WXII has to. It is just adding two subchannels for them. And yes a rescan will fix it.

Lockwood Communications, the company that owns WCWG has retained the license (what the FCC calls a Zombie station), just no transmitter, so they should be able to retain their channel 20 major number. I hear that master control is moving to WXII and WXII is doing something along the lines of a LMA where they will run both stations out of the same building and pay Lockwood money for the privilege. I don't think too many people from WCWG are moving to WXII.

From what I am hearing, of WCWG's 4 channels only the main and Bounce are moving. The other two are going away. I have not heard yet if WCWG main will be in HD.

I haven't heard a date when WLXI goes dark and a supposed move to either WXLV or WMYT.

post #11987 of 11993 Old 07-21-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
(what the FCC calls a Zombie station)
Can't say I've heard anyone inside the FCC call it that. That's something the press came up with, I think.

Quote:
I have not heard yet if WCWG main will be in HD.
I would be more surprised if it weren't. Hearst is already doing 2xHD and 1xSD in NW Arkansas, Vermont, and Salinas, CA. Two of the three involve CW. Plenty of other companies now run 2xHD and 2xSD.

Quote:
I haven't heard a date when WLXI goes dark and a supposed move to either WXLV or WMYT.
Interesting, sharing on one of the Sinclair signals?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #11988 of 11993 Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Can't say I've heard anyone inside the FCC call it that. That's something the press came up with, I think.
I heard it on a FCC webcast talking about filing the forms. First time I had ever heard them called that.

Quote:
Interesting, sharing on one of the Sinclair signals?

- Trip
That is the rumor. I am not even sure when WLXI is shutting down.

post #11989 of 11993 Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I heard it on a FCC webcast talking about filing the forms. First time I had ever heard them called that.
Huh. I really hate that term and could have sworn it came from the press.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #11990 of 11993 Old 07-22-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Huh. I really hate that term and could have sworn it came from the press.

- Trip
Where do you think the press got it from?

I am not fond of it either, but . . .

post #11991 of 11993 Old 07-23-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes its true saw the announcement scroll on the screen the other morning on channel 20 July 30th is last day for channel 20
post #11992 of 11993 Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hopefully it will still be a station that's fairly easy to tune in when they move the station. I'm having to re-do my homemade antenna setup anyway. I wound up moving the cable connection, outside, for my internet so that I could move my modem and router out of my 2 year old's room. This is kind of a temporary fix, but I didn't feel like going in our crawl space and risking getting bit by a snake. I figured I'd move everything around again once snake season is over. But, I said all of that to say that my modem is right now using the cable that I was using to connect my TV antenna, so I'm having to redo some other cabling so that I can get my TV antenna hooked back up in time for the NFL season.

So, re-scan at the end of the month should be interesting. (Or maybe not! )

Having said all of that, I had joined this site about a year and some change ago talking about TV antennas, and I'm still yet to buy one, lol! My dad did wind up building me another homemade antenna, but it has actually had a tougher time tuning in some of my coveted channels I was getting on the former homemade antenna, so I'm thinking I might need to bite the bullet and buy a good roof top antenna and do it right. Gotta be able to watch my Redskins play on FOX 27/21 (which I was able to pick up at my house in Oak Ridge a couple years back on homemade antenna), before they become very bad again once they get rid of the only franchise quarterback they have ever had since the glory years, lol!
post #11993 of 11993 Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Hopefully it will still be a station that's fairly easy to tune in when they move the station. I'm having to re-do my homemade antenna setup anyway. I wound up moving the cable connection, outside, for my internet so that I could move my modem and router out of my 2 year old's room. This is kind of a temporary fix, but I didn't feel like going in our crawl space and risking getting bit by a snake. I figured I'd move everything around again once snake season is over. But, I said all of that to say that my modem is right now using the cable that I was using to connect my TV antenna, so I'm having to redo some other cabling so that I can get my TV antenna hooked back up in time for the NFL season.

So, re-scan at the end of the month should be interesting. (Or maybe not! )
If you get WXII now, you will have no trouble when channel 20 moves since they will be using the same exact transmitter. Channel 20 basically becomes 12-3 and 12-4, but your TV will more than likely continue to say 20-1 and 20-2 and they will continue to use the WCWG call letters and channel 20 major channel number. You will need to rescan though to pick up channel 20 once they light up on WXII's transmitter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page