Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 401 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #12001 of 12010 Old 08-02-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 565
The RabbitEars site explains it all.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=wcwg

If I'm interpreting things correctly, what is going on is something like this:

WXII main channel (NBC affiliate), diginet subchannel MeTV, WCWG main channel (CW affiliate), and diginet subchannel Bounce are apparently now all sharing RF31, but each of the four subchannels of RF31 retains the virtual major channel number (12 or 20) that it had prior to WCWG relinquishing its RF19 spectrum.

After the repack, the channels will apparently be sharing RF16. I'm not sure how the contracts work in terms of who gets to decide what diginets get to hang out on RF31 and, later on, on RF16. Since WCWG gave up its own spectrum allocation, it might be just a "tenant" now on a transmitter owned by the company that owns WXII.

Edit: Actually, it looks as though RF16 may already be operating as a translator of RF31. I'm not completely sure how to interpret the info about RF16.

Last edited by veedon; 08-02-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 12010 Old 08-03-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
After the repack, the channels will apparently be sharing RF16. I'm not sure how the contracts work in terms of who gets to decide what diginets get to hang out on RF31 and, later on, on RF16. Since WCWG gave up its own spectrum allocation, it might be just a "tenant" now on a transmitter owned by the company that owns WXII.
Let me see if I can either clear some of this up or completely mess it up more. Layman's terms used as much as possible so there has been some liberty taken with terminology. Translated, it ain't precise and it ain't meant to be.

To my knowledge there is nothing on RF16 in this market at this time. Because WCWG and WXII are two completely separate companies, each has it's own license and I assume in Rabbit Ears, to make it easier to understand, he is listing both stations on 31 going to 16 because as of today, that seems to be what is going to happen.

The way this works is, the company that owned WCWG RF 19 (Lockwood Communications), still owns WCWG (there is STILL a license issued to them, it just shows WXII's transmitter as their transmitter that is why their channels use the major number 20 and not 12) but they elected to NOT have their own transmitter (a virtual transmitter if you are so inclined to call it that), but to lease bandwidth from another station, in this case WXII. Just like any other lease, if WCWG finds cheaper bandwidth, they are free to move to another station's transmitter, amending their license as they would do if they were changing transmitter locations with their own transmitter. It is a little confusing, but basically, they are just "renting" someone else's transmitter and saving the cost of having their own transmitter.

What Lockwood has decided to do is go into a JSA with WXII where basically WXII "operates" the station from WXII and a select number of Lockwood employees work through WXII. There is still a "WCWG management team" but the station is run from WXII.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #12003 of 12010 Old 08-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Let me see if I can either clear some of this up or completely mess it up more. Layman's terms used as much as possible so there has been some liberty taken with terminology. Translated, it ain't precise and it ain't meant to be.

To my knowledge there is nothing on RF16 in this market at this time. Because WCWG and WXII are two completely separate companies, each has it's own license and I assume in Rabbit Ears, to make it easier to understand, he is listing both stations on 31 going to 16 because as of today, that seems to be what is going to happen.

The way this works is, the company that owned WCWG RF 19 (Lockwood Communications), still owns WCWG (there is STILL a license issued to them, it just shows WXII's transmitter as their transmitter that is why their channels use the major number 20 and not 12) but they elected to NOT have their own transmitter (a virtual transmitter if you are so inclined to call it that), but to lease bandwidth from another station, in this case WXII. Just like any other lease, if WCWG finds cheaper bandwidth, they are free to move to another station's transmitter, amending their license as they would do if they were changing transmitter locations with their own transmitter. It is a little confusing, but basically, they are just "renting" someone else's transmitter and saving the cost of having their own transmitter.

What Lockwood has decided to do is go into a JSA with WXII where basically WXII "operates" the station from WXII and a select number of Lockwood employees work through WXII. There is still a "WCWG management team" but the station is run from WXII.
Is RF19 (WCWG) still transmitting at this time? Will the studio in Greensboro stay active? If so, are they using an InterCity Relay (7 GHZ) from GSO to W-S?

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #12004 of 12010 Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
Is RF19 (WCWG) still transmitting at this time?
No. They ceased transmitting at 3am July 31 and at the same time, the additional streams were lit up on WXII. For those who get both stations, they had two 20-1s, one 20-2 and one 20-3 and two 20-4's with one set of -1s and 4's working and one set not and 20-2 and 20-3 dark. A rescan would take the unused 20's out. The receivers seem to be completely happy with that, but it has been a little confusing to the humans involved though! I have taken several calls from befuddled viewers thinking I could magically "fix" another stations "problems".

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #12005 of 12010 Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
No. They ceased transmitting at 3am July 31 and at the same time, the additional streams were lit up on WXII. For those who get both stations, they had two 20-1s, one 20-2 and one 20-3 and two 20-4's with one set of -1s and 4's working and one set not and 20-2 and 20-3 dark. A rescan would take the unused 20's out. The receivers seem to be completely happy with that, but it has been a little confusing to the humans involved though! I have taken several calls from befuddled viewers thinking I could magically "fix" another stations "problems".
Thanks.....

I assume all programming is coming out of 700 now and there is no ICR from GSO to W-S.

I get that all the time here, viewer call and even when they understand they are talking to WSOC, they bitch/complain about another CLT station and wants ME to correct it.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #12006 of 12010 Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
Thanks.....

I assume all programming is coming out of 700 now and there is no ICR from GSO to W-S.
Correct. WXII "built on" to their MCO. I think just sales offices at the old studio location in Greensboro now. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't move into smaller space since all they need is a GM's office and a small sales office.

Quote:
I get that all the time here, viewer call and even when they understand they are talking to WSOC, they bitch/complain about another CLT station and wants ME to correct it.
Universal problem!

post #12007 of 12010 Old 08-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There was an article in the WSJ about cord-cutting millennials discovering a "hack" to receive free TV. It's called an antenna.
post #12008 of 12010 Old 08-04-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by torridn View Post
There was an article in the WSJ about cord-cutting millennials discovering a "hack" to receive free TV. It's called an antenna.

LOL!!! A hack?
post #12009 of 12010 Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
for amusement, here are the permutations my two receivers settled for to indicate WCWG:
20-1 and 20-4
and
31-1 and 31-2

"Virtual" channel numbers were the last straw that broke rational reference to tv stations by number. People still do it, and in doing it, fail to understand the number used might not mean a thing to the listener.
post #12010 of 12010 Old 09-08-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
for amusement, here are the permutations my two receivers settled for to indicate WCWG:
20-1 and 20-4
and
31-1 and 31-2

"Virtual" channel numbers were the last straw that broke rational reference to tv stations by number. People still do it, and in doing it, fail to understand the number used might not mean a thing to the listener.
The issue is not all receivers implement the protocols correctly. That has been an issue since the start of DTV. Stations are required to broadcast all of the protocols, but receiver manufactures are not required to implement them. Since bandwidth leasing will become more widespread, it will start to rear its head in some strange places.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page