3Likes

post #181 of 11416 Old 11-13-2002, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Who are you getting your parts from?

Davis Antenna (good guy) who, in turn, gets them from Dow Electronics.
Quote:

It is always: LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

I may have to move to your neighborhood to receive as many stations as you. Think your neighbors would welcome an aging hippie software geek with a large collection of loud toys and ugly antennas?

Actually, I'm sitting at one of the highest elevations in Guilford County. But, there are small ridges to the south and east of my house. The woods are so thick that I can't see to tell if my antenna is above them or not. It's close. My antenna is about 25 feet above ground level. I'll probably only be able to raise it about 5-10 more feet. Any higher, and it will get tangled in the limbs of the oak trees that overhand my house.

Still, I'm tempted to try it. It's the cheapest modification I can think of (provided I don't fall off the roof - that could get expensive).

Only squares watch square TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 11416 Old 11-13-2002, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you thought about running in up that tall Oak tree and attaching it there?
post #183 of 11416 Old 11-13-2002, 02:47 PM

When I was a younger man, I worked high steel for Chicago Bridge & Iron, and wouldn't have given a second thought to climbing up in those trees. But, I'm older now, and have caught on to the nasty things gravity can do to a clumbsy old man.

I think I'd better stay out of them trees

post #184 of 11416 Old 11-13-2002, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Teenagers are invincible, you should find one who needs party money. They'll do anything, especially if you offer to videotape it for them so they can show their daredevil friends (a la Johnny Knoxville)! But then there's the liability. Darn.
post #185 of 11416 Old 11-26-2002, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I got a call today at work from Greensboro TWC. They are still on for sometime after January 2003 for the launch of the local digital stations. They were calling and confirming information and specs. They have ordered the equipment and are just waiting for it to come in and install it. When that happens, the locals will be in the 500's. No specific channels have been determined yet.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #186 of 11416 Old 11-27-2002, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thank you for the info! I have also heard that we should be getting something thru TWC in Jan. (I saw a nice plug for your Fox 8 digital setup this AM by the "Gadget Guru" - cool!)

Pam

Pam
post #187 of 11416 Old 11-27-2002, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I continue to get things ready for FOX network pass through. Our new digital microwave was to have been shipped today, but I was not able to get confirmation. If it did ship, we should have it Monday or Tuesday and then start to install it. That may take several days depending on many things.

I am just about completed with the digital switcher (well, that is what I call it, it is really just a small switch box that will switch between network and the upconverted signal). That should be completed Monday. If all goes well, maybe by next weekend, (first full weekend in December) we will have it all running.

Stay tuned.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #188 of 11416 Old 11-28-2002, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To the viewers of the Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC Nielsen market, Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at FOX8 WGHP/WGHP-DT 35!

post #189 of 11416 Old 12-01-2002, 06:48 PM

"Time Warner Cable of Greensboro is reporting they will have local digital signals available January 1 2003. No report if they will cost extra."-NCHDTV.COM

I am new to this HDTV thing, so I was wondering what exactly this means for me living in Greensboro. I understand that HBO-HD, SHOW-HD, and the PBS "Demo Loop" are available through TWC, but I am a little confused what "local" digital signals mean.

Does it mean ABC, NBC, CBS, WB in HD...? This latest devolopment doesn't assure all those stations will be included, or does it, or can one even tell? I just got a HD-ready set about two months ago, and am very eager to "test" it out.
post #190 of 11416 Old 12-02-2002, 12:46 PM

Scaramastra, nearly all of the local stations (WFMY-CBS, WXII-NBC, WXLV-ABC, WGPH-FOX, etc.) have been transmitting digital signals over the air (via antenna, in the UHF band) for a pretty good while now. But, so far, Time Warner has not yet begun carrying the digital signals from these stations. They just carry the old analog stuff. I've yet to hear an "official" date for when Time Warner is going to begin carrying the digital feeds from these local stations. All the rumors place it sometime in early 2003. In all likelyhood, they'll carry most, if not all, the local digital stations, so all the major networks will be covered. I doubt they'll charge anything extra (beyond their digital tier charges) to view these stations.

Of course, you don't have to pay TWC a penny to view these digital locals. You can just buy an antenna (and, if necessary, a set-topbox) and view them for free. The quality of true HDTV programming will blow your socks off. Once you've seen it, you'll never want to go back.

post #191 of 11416 Old 12-07-2002, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MrPhred
Of course, you don't have to pay TWC a penny to view these digital locals. You can just buy an antenna (and, if necessary, a set-topbox) and view them for free. The quality of true HDTV programming will blow your socks off. Once you've seen it, you'll never want to go back.

TWC did say to me that they would be compressing the locals which is different than waht they told me earlier.

post #192 of 11416 Old 12-07-2002, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well after a hard fight for equipment and now the darn ice storm, tonight WGHP-DT 35 sent its first 16:9 pictures with FOX network. It looked very good for 480p. It wasn't HD, nor do I mean to imply it is (because it isn't), but there is a difference in PQ improvement over the 480i upconverted material.

Since the Carolina Panthers are playing on CBS on Sunday, I hope the Redskin's game we will have at 1pm will be one of the 16:9 games. I will be very interested to see what the NFL looks like in 16:9!

The power fluctions during the ice storm damaged the analog to digital converter for analog material so until a new one can be shipped in, there will be no right channel audio for the local programming, but network, commericals and the local news will have both channels.

post #193 of 11416 Old 12-16-2002, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I did a scan this evening and I see channel 61, WLXI is on the air on DT 43 with a decent signal, not great but it hasn't broken up yet either. They have a temp low power authorization of 9000 watts at about 500 ft on the same tower as WTWB, WXLV-DT and WUPN-TV/DT.

Don, you know anymore about it?

post #194 of 11416 Old 12-17-2002, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just got off the phone with TWC and the following local DTs will be on TWC sometime today.

WGHP-DT 510
WFMY-DT 520
WXLV-DT 530
WXII-DT 540

These are all that they are planning to put on for the time being. Those with digital cable boxes you might want to check it out and let us know.

Charles Layno
FOX8 WGHP/WGHP-DT

post #195 of 11416 Old 12-17-2002, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Gonna go check now...
I'll report back tomorrow!
Pam

Pam
post #196 of 11416 Old 12-17-2002, 08:26 PM

[edit]11:52am - 12/18[/edit] - I haven't seen them yet, but i'll keep you updated...

rob

[edit]I recieve the same message on 510 that you all do, and I get nothing on 520, 530, and 540. I just suscribed last weekend, so I hope the new price increase includes these channels, as I was told it would.[/edit]
post #197 of 11416 Old 12-18-2002, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I got a message on 510 saying that I needed to subscribe! I am calling TWC today to see what's up with that. Also, 520,530, 540 - no data at all - just ????

Pam

Pam
post #198 of 11416 Old 12-18-2002, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the same results here...

510 has a page listing an 800 number to call to "order service"

The other channels (520, 530, and 540) do not seem to have any programming on them at all.

They just raised the rates, I sure hope we don't have to order service to get local HDTV content.

J. L.
post #199 of 11416 Old 12-18-2002, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be calling TWC in an hour or so to check on this matter.

Pam

Pam
post #200 of 11416 Old 12-18-2002, 06:48 AM

Don,
Congratulations on getting the new goodies installed, and sympathy on what the ice did to you. WDBJ and WDBJ-DT stayed iced up from Friday through Sunday. We mux both signals here at the studio and send them up to the mountain via digital microwave. The old analog Channel 7 tolerated the ice right well, but DT was doing all kinds of interesting tricks.

Bob Lee
retired TV guy
post #201 of 11416 Old 12-18-2002, 02:42 PM

4:41 pm - 510 Fox (WGHPD), 520 CBS (WFMYD), 530 ABC (WXLVD), and 540 NBC (WXIID) are on...sort of...

[edit]oops...THX, for clearing up my problem Foxeng...since WXLV is interlaced that would explain why it shows up on s-video, and I see the other is simply not on until 8. [/edit]

-rob
post #202 of 11416 Old 12-18-2002, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by scaramastra
4:41 pm - 510 Fox (WGHP), 520 CBS (WFMY), 530 ABC (WXLV), and 540 NBC (WXII) are on...sort of...

520 CBS (WFMY) is showing at the bottom of the screen, but shows no content for the time being, it's just a black screen.

530 ABC (WXLV) shows up, but is viewable through my non-componet video input so I wonder if it is really HD, since no other channels (i.e. HBOs, NBC, Fox, or PBS) will show up through s-video, but 530 will...hmm...I'll see tonight.

rob

Remember, only WGHP-DT and WXLV-DT are 24/7. WGHP-DT is 480p, WXLV is 480i. WXII-DT operates from 4pm to 12:30am at 1080i and WFMY is only on from 12:30pm to 1:30pm and 8pm to 11:30pm in 1080i.

How do the stations that you have seen look?

post #203 of 11416 Old 12-18-2002, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

They are up and running...

At one point in time, WGHP had no sound, but checking back later, it was OK. As foxeng described, WFMY did not come on the air till 8:00.

Only WGHP has listings in their on-screen program guide. Since the listings are a clone of the analog channel, I expect that it is simply a matter of programming the computer that drives that service.

Now... who do we need to write to at WGHP to ask that the very bright station logo be toned down a bit. With so many users of HDTV sets concerned with burn-in of static images, I can't imagine the station managers being entirely unresponsive. I do think that they would want to encourage lengthy viewing of their stations material rather than short duration for fear of harm to our expensive HDTV.

J. L.
post #204 of 11416 Old 12-19-2002, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by J. L.
Now... who do we need to write to at WGHP to ask that the very bright station logo be toned down a bit. With so many users of HDTV sets concerned with burn-in of static images, I can't imagine the station managers being entirely unresponsive. I do think that they would want to encourage lengthy viewing of their stations material rather than short duration for fear of harm to our expensive HDTV.

Here are two names:

Karen Adams, President/General Manager kadams@wghp.com
Council Bradshaw, VP of Creative Services cbradshaw@wghp.com

post #205 of 11416 Old 12-19-2002, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by J. L.
Only WGHP has listings in their on-screen program guide. Since the listings are a clone of the analog channel, I expect that it is simply a matter of programming the computer that drives that service.

That is interesting. We do not have our OTA EPG running yet. Of course I have the new Samsung SIR-TS160 Directv/OTA receiver and the DT stations have EPG listings (even those that aren't using PSIP are at least listed on the correct virtual channels) but our EPG from analog isn't listed through Directv.

Go figure!

post #206 of 11416 Old 12-19-2002, 04:14 PM
era

I'm glad that the local channels are on HDTV via TWC, but very sad to see that only one of them (WXII) is widescreen. The others cannot be watched because the thick black bars on each side of the screen will burn my rear-projection Toshiba's screen. How sad. Almost as stupid as their logo-bugs. Finally we get HTDV. But we cannot watch most of it because the silly people don't know how to broadcast it without damaging our sets. Maybe over time they'll wise up, but I'm not hopeful.
post #207 of 11416 Old 12-19-2002, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Only one is widescreen? Huh? They're showing HDTV in 4:3? Please explain.
post #208 of 11416 Old 12-19-2002, 05:08 PM
era

All I know is that I get the ordinary TV aspect ratio on all the new HTDV TWC channels, except WXII (Which is full 16x9). HBO is also usually 16x9, but Showtime varies--more often than not it has black bars on the sides.
post #209 of 11416 Old 12-20-2002, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by era
I'm glad that the local channels are on HDTV via TWC, but very sad to see that only one of them (WXII) is widescreen. The others cannot be watched because the thick black bars on each side of the screen will burn my rear-projection Toshiba's screen. How sad. Almost as stupid as their logo-bugs. Finally we get HTDV. But we cannot watch most of it because the silly people don't know how to broadcast it without damaging our sets. Maybe over time they'll wise up, but I'm not hopeful.

FOX has most of its prime time and at least one NFL game a week in widescreen. CBS has just about all it's prime time in widescreen and NBC has quite a bit in widescreen. Please remember we are early in the game on this and we can only transmit what is sent to us, but all the local DTV stations on cable except WXLV DT transmits in widescreen even when there are no widescreen shows available hence the side bars. We can stretch the 4:3 picture to widescreen all the time, but then people complain that the picture looks unnatural, so we leave it in 4:3 and add the side bars. WXII DT is the only one to stretch their 4:3 to 16:9 all the time.

Would grey sidebars be more appealing?

post #210 of 11416 Old 12-20-2002, 09:13 AM
era

Yes, gray bars would ease the burn-in problem. However, I favor WXII's solution, even if a few people get confused and complain. After all, if they want the 50-year-old aspect ratio, they can just tune in the non-HDTV version of the channel. HDTV is widescreen, even though some people seem not yet aware of it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page