Pittsburgh OTA reception and antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-04-2002, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using a Radio Shack Double Bow Tie and receiving KDKA-DT and WTAE-DT, but no signal from WPXI-DT (whose transmitter is nearby and same direction as KDKA-DT). Fricke Park Area.
Any suggestions as to next step?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

You should be able to get everything from that area, especially if you're getting WTAE. Its signal strength is far less than WPXI, so there might be some other problem. I get WPXI in Beaver Co. and can't get more than a blip on WTAE.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #3 of 5 Old 05-05-2002, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey...if you're able to use a RS double bow tie and get two stations...count your blessings my friend. After three different types of antenna; a bunch of hours of labor to install at $80 per hour...I'm able to pull in KD for sure and WPXI if the planets are aligned right.

Seriously though, I've spent hundreds of dollars for sure but then I live in Cranberry and have a hill right behind my house in the southeast direction...that's right...exactly in the same direction of the DT towers...not to mention the major elevation in the Ingomar area which serves as a buffer between the towers and my house and most of us in the Cranberry area.

So, since it sounds like you have none of that to contend with, spend a few extra bucks and you'll get everything clear as a bell. But, then again as I've learned...there is no exact science to OTA reception...NONE AT ALL. Good Luck...

PS...and calling out once again. If anyone knows of a true EXPERT antenna man, PLEASE let me know. Yes, not only someone with all the expertise of some on AVS but who has the equipment, i.e.; signal strength meters, etc. to do the job. I found Digital Visions to be light years ahead of Radio Shack yet when all is said and done...in the end when it comes to looking for a signal or the "sweet spot"...even they are using the "hit and miss" approach. Let me know if you know of anyone that is on their game when it comes to antennas and OTA reception. Thanks...
post #4 of 5 Old 05-05-2002, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey all,

Good to see some Pittsburgh DTV action! I'm looking for some advice. I'm in the North Hills (just outside of West View in Ross Twp. right off of rt.19, about 9 miles north of the city), and currently I'm using a silver sensor indoor antenna in my BASEMENT and it's actually bringing in KDKA-DT perfectly, WPXI-DT with a little adjustment, and WPGH-SD (which is nothing but a blank 16:9 screen as far as i can tell). However, I'm really looking to get WTAE as well, considering they have the coolest HD material (and hopefully monday night football). I need a rooftop antenna. I was looking at the Radio Shack 160" with a UHF bowtie attached to it, but I've been told that i don't really need anywhere near that much antenna given my location. Antennaweb.org suggests a dark green to red range antenna, medium directional or medium nondirectional. I also looked at the 80" radio shack. Should that be enough to bring in WTAE and perhaps even WQED (when it's up) and WCWB? Can anyone reccommend domething that might do the job best? Also, any tips on how to install the thing or who can help me figure all this out? Any help would be appreciated : )

-dan

p.s. ::cleas throat:: GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2002, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yo...McGonk, for everything you've ever wanted to learn about Antenna selection and installation try this link:

http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...55&t=000436&p=
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page