2-1, WSB-DT
2-2, WSB-DT (ABC NewsNow)
5-1, WAGA-DT
5-2, WAGA-DT (SD)
11-1, WXIA-DT
11-2, WXIA-DT (usually 11Alive Doppler)
13-1, WMAZ-DT
13-2, WMAZ-DT (Doppler)
OCCASIONAL - 14-1 through 14-4, WPXA-DT (Pax, Pax West and 2 religion channels)
17-1, WTBS-DT
17-2, WTBS-DT (SD)
OCCASIONAL - 19-1, WGCL-DT (bad PSIP major channel #, should be 46-1, may have changed by now)
34-1, WUVG-DT (Athens - Univision)
36-1, WATL-DT
43-1, WUPA-DT (Bad PSIP major channel #, should be 69-1, may have changed by now)
58-1, WPGA-DT
63-1 through 63-4, WHSG-DT (TBN channels, believe this is a bad PSIP, too, think it's supposed to be 58-1 to 4)

The only problem children are WGCL and WPXA, and WGCL has an application in to go up significantly in power.

Once WGXA and WMGT get their acts together and actually transmit some power, should be able to see those, even with the antenna pointed at ATL.

Ole Dave

What equipment do you have in Warner Robbins?

I am considering OTA for HD in Thomaston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2148 Old 03-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Wayne Bundrick
Get a clue Dave.

There is a big difference between satellite and over-the-air. Over-the-air is a direct transmission from the broadcaster to you. On satellite/cable it is not a direct transmission but rather a retransmission. The difference can be summed up in three words:

Retransmitting Is Copying.

Therefore it is subject to all the protections that our nation's copyright laws allow.

So why can't Cox Cable in WR retransmit an Atlanta station during primetime with their permission? Why does the Macon station get to say "NO" to that?
post #273 of 2148 Old 03-08-2005, 05:23 PM

I'm certainly no authority on this subject, however I believe they can retransmit the atlanta fox broadcast but simply don't.
I think it's falls into the frequently viewed rules. Cox has the atlanta locals in sd for CBS, ABC, and NBC listed in their lineup. and there is another cable company in macon that does retransmit fox in standard def.
As to why they are allowed to do this, but satellite providers are not, I have no idea. And why they do this for standard definition but not HD, again i am mystified.
post #274 of 2148 Old 03-12-2005, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ralph Carson
Attention AVS forum members:
My name is Ralph Carson and I am Fox 24's Assistant Chief Engineer. I have read various comments on PSIP problems on our channel 16. We have repaired these problems. However, they appear to show up only on some sets and we have no knowledge of which ones. Our monitor receivers do not display the problem. If you are receiving our signal with sufficient strength and are not getting a picture I would like to know more about it. please post your make and model, and let me know what is happening. If you have been getting our signal, but are no longer getting it in spite of having good signal, I would like to know more.

I can assure y'all that we (the engineering dept) are very interested in DTV and are doing all we can to promote it. However we must wait for the corporation to move on it. Until then, we are doing all we can to be ready. Meanwhile, we want to iron out the kinks in the system we have, and your help in this regard will be appreciated. Thank you,

Ralph Carson
FOX24

Ralph, I have been receiving the digital wgxa signal at around 65 on my Sony SAT-HD300 for quite some time but I am not able to get a picture. I receive the other Macon stations on this receiver, including wmgt with a lower signal strength and get a picture including HDTV feeds when broadcast. Is there anything you can do on your end to allow my receiver to pick up the digital broadcast from your station? I get a great picture with the analog feed but I don't want to miss out when you start broadcasting in HD.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #275 of 2148 Old 03-13-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rmcatee
Ralph, I have been receiving the digital wgxa signal at around 65 on my Sony SAT-HD300 for quite some time but I am not able to get a picture. I receive the other Macon stations on this receiver, including wmgt with a lower signal strength and get a picture including HDTV feeds when broadcast. Is there anything you can do on your end to allow my receiver to pick up the digital broadcast from your station? I get a great picture with the analog feed but I don't want to miss out when you start broadcasting in HD.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't know if I'm any help and I don't know anything about your Sony STB or your TV, but on my Mits TV, on the dtv input, it will only except 1080i or 480i/480p. It will not except 720p. In other words, maybe the Sony STB's output is not set to whatever your TV's resolution is. I have a Voom STB and you can set the resolution for the DTV output to any of the resolutions including native. If your Sony STB is set to a resolution that your TV won't do, that might be your problem. In other words, maybe it's set to native or 720p and your tv won't recognize 720p. I hope this makes sense, but channel 24 is probably 480i or 480p, since they are not HD yet. I would think all tv's would do 480i/480p though. On another note. I have to point my antenna directly at the towers to get it to come in (most of the time). You may need to upgrade your antenna.

Charter Voomer
post #276 of 2148 Old 03-14-2005, 08:28 PM

Call Directv to get FOX HD. I got the waiver from the Macon stations and now have east and west coast FOX HD. I also get NBC east and west coast HD, so there's no need to worry about WMGT doing it properly.
post #277 of 2148 Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 AM

Dear Voomvoom:
I do not know why your Sony set top box isn't working. We are transmitting in 480P. I would suggest you take it to a TV repair shop and have it checked. You could also check with Sony tech support. I will be speaking with a Harris technician today about a PSIP problem we are having, and if I remember, I will ask him about this. We are all on a learning curve on this and all I can do is try and make sure that our plant is working properly. As a last resort, I might have you bring the box to the studio and let me play with it and see if I can get it going. However, I am not calling for that at the moment. I'll let you know if I learn anything useful.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
Fox 24 WGXA
post #278 of 2148 Old 03-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Dear Voomvoom:
I spoke to the Harris representative and he suggested that it might be a multipath problem. Multipath, if it's real bad, can overwhelm the adaptive correction circuitry and shut down the receiver. It is more of a problem in the city where there are tall buildings, but might be in other places. It can be frequency selective. The solution would to be to use a very directional (outdoor) antenna, if this is indeed the problem. I can't say whether or not this is it, but it's worth a shot. You might want to test the receiver in another location to verify this. If the receiver works there, then it's a possibility. You will have a good signal level in this case, because the bounced signals are on the same channel. However, If you live in relatively flat terrain then this is probably not the problem. Good Luck

Ralph Carson
post #279 of 2148 Old 03-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by artspret
Call Directv to get FOX HD. I got the waiver from the Macon stations and now have east and west coast FOX HD. I also get NBC east and west coast HD, so there's no need to worry about WMGT doing it properly.

artspret
How long did the approval process take?
Thanx
Walt
post #280 of 2148 Old 03-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Dear Voomvoom:
I spoke to the Harris representative and he suggested that it might be a multipath problem. Multipath, if it's real bad, can overwhelm the adaptive correction circuitry and shut down the receiver. It is more of a problem in the city where there are tall buildings, but might be in other places. It can be frequency selective. The solution would to be to use a very directional (outdoor) antenna, if this is indeed the problem. I can't say whether or not this is it, but it's worth a shot. You might want to test the receiver in another location to verify this. If the receiver works there, then it's a possibility. You will have a good signal level in this case, because the bounced signals are on the same channel. However, If you live in relatively flat terrain then this is probably not the problem. Good Luck

Ralph Carson

Hey guys, it was me who was having the problem picking up FOX 24. I pick up the other digital stations fine. The signal is a little weak for the FOX station and I was not sure if the problem was this or something else. I know my receiver picked up the digital wmgt broadcast when they were doing 480p early on. Not that is was an improvement over the analog broadcast. I get wmgt and wmaz in 1080i and wpga in 720p without problems. I don't believe my receiver is a problem. I am content to watch FOX 24 in 480i over 480p for now. It is the 720p broadcast and HDTV that I am waiting for. By the way, I have an outdoor antenna that is currently mounted in my attic. So I do have some room for improvement if needed. I am also expecting FOX 24 to transmit a stronger signal when they go 720p. Please tell me I am not assuming something here. I do have directv also and would be interested in the information required for waivers.
post #281 of 2148 Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 AM

Does anybody know what WMAZ is planning to do this year with the NCAA games in HD. Last year I remember the digital channel always carrying an HD game, independently of what was on the SD channel.

I ask specifically because some people believe their stations will be multicasting to deliver both sites with HD Games. According to the main HD programming thread there are two sites on thurs, and two on friday which will broadcast all their games in HD.
post #282 of 2148 Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 PM

Channel 13 appears to be broadcasting in digital now. I have Cox Cable and it has 4 different channels listed in the guide. Just checked and each is broadcasting a different basket ball game.
post #283 of 2148 Old 03-18-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Dear Voomvoom:
I do not know why your Sony set top box isn't working. We are transmitting in 480P. I would suggest you take it to a TV repair shop and have it checked. You could also check with Sony tech support. I will be speaking with a Harris technician today about a PSIP problem we are having, and if I remember, I will ask him about this. We are all on a learning curve on this and all I can do is try and make sure that our plant is working properly. As a last resort, I might have you bring the box to the studio and let me play with it and see if I can get it going. However, I am not calling for that at the moment. I'll let you know if I learn anything useful.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
Fox 24 WGXA

Ralph thanks for your concern along with the info as well as checking with the Harris representative and I'm sorry if my post was misleading, but I was trying to help rmcatee, who was the one having a problem. I have a deep fringe Winegard with a rotor and don't have any current problems picking up channel 24. For FOX HD, I'm able to get Fox 5 from Atlanta after dark and sometimes during the daylight. The daylight dropouts can be irritating at times, especially trying to watch the races. It will be great when you guys get your HD going. Hope it won't be to long. Thanks again.
Al

Charter Voomer
post #284 of 2148 Old 03-21-2005, 02:53 PM

Going HD and going high power are two different issues. One requires transmitter upgrades, including larger antenna and transmission line, and the other requires studio to transmitter microwave link upgrades. (For WGXA) Since the former requires a new transmitter, it is more expensive and will probably come later. A modest power raising could probably be done, and it would be a lot cheaper, but since it would not be legal power in the end, it probably will never be done. I hope that if we don't do it all at once, we do the HD upgrades first.

Ralph carson
A.C.E.
WGXA TV24
post #285 of 2148 Old 03-22-2005, 12:48 PM

I am DYING to see an eipsode of 24 in HD......any chance that will happen soon???

Bob
post #286 of 2148 Old 03-24-2005, 02:23 PM

Dear Bobbareeno:
You won't get any until you get it all. There is no date set at this time.

Ralph Carson
post #287 of 2148 Old 04-06-2005, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like DirecTV now has the locals in Macon. I will try to add them when i get home. I know they are not HD but at least i can Tivo some of the shows now! Yippee. I hear that 24 is pretty good.
post #288 of 2148 Old 04-08-2005, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Now DirecTV says i have to get another dish to ge the locals! Looks like i will stick with cable and switch when my contract expires later this year. i am ticked that I waited for the locals and now find out they want me to put another dish on my roof AND the locals are not in HD.
post #289 of 2148 Old 04-20-2005, 02:59 PM

From what I have heard, the local channels are on a different satellite, requiring either a separate dish, or a dual horn dish. (the dual horn only works if the two sattellites are close together) By the way, they pick us up off the air for uplink, but I believe they use the digital signal. Don't know for sure. Of course, the digital looks real good off the air.

Ralph Carson
A.C.E. WGXA TV24
post #290 of 2148 Old 04-23-2005, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Where is their local POP located?

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #291 of 2148 Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 AM

Direct TV has their point of pickup at WMGT's studio. Dish Network's POP is at the Clear channel studios on hiway 49 south of Macon. I did find out that they are using our analog signal, not the digital. We found this out when the big RCA NTSC transmitter went down and the little Harris DT didn't. We got calls from at least two satellite companies. Of course, analog can look pretty good if the reception equipment is carefully optimized. We transmit a ghost cancelling reference on our NTSC signal, but few receivers have the capability to use it.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
WGXA TV24
post #292 of 2148 Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ralph Carson We transmit a ghost cancelling reference on our NTSC signal, but few receivers have the capability to use it.[/b]

Now if you could just get that new digital STL so you could get the HD out to the transmitter...

Incidentally, just checked for a moment on Sunday to see if there was NASCAR on Fox in HD (there wasn't, and won't be, at least this season, I hear), but even if I'd wanted to watch SD digital, the audio was way too hot. Chris Myers is a moron, but it's worse when he's distorted.
post #293 of 2148 Old 04-26-2005, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think that the Tek DS-1000 demods that E* uses in their local POPs have Ghost Cancellers built in. Also, a third audio for the SAP.....they were customized by Tektronix.

There used to be an (maybe it was JVC) S-VHS machine that had GC. I was never able to buy a consumer stand-alone GC, though. They never tried to market them, just the expensive pro version. Sure wish I had one!

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #294 of 2148 Old 04-26-2005, 02:26 PM

I don't think ghost cancelling really caught on. I reckon it came too close before digital television. I reckon manufacturers figured "Why worry about it, they'll be replacing these sets with digital sets before too long". We will use our analog microwave when we go HD, but with a Numark analog coder. The old microwave is widebanded enough, it is much wider than what is required for NTSC, but requires a special modulator device to carry a digital signal. The Numark device will fill that need. We have already tested one with our SD feed, and it works quite well. It is my understanding that it will not degrade the signal in HD.

Ralph Carson
A.C.E.
WGXA TV24
post #295 of 2148 Old 04-26-2005, 02:36 PM

Incidently, you Cox cable subscribers might be interested in this. Cox Cable takes our digital signal off the air for their digital signal. They take their analog signal from a fiber optic link from our studio to their headend. Therefore if we lose power to the transmitter site or if our signal path goes down or digital transmitter goes off the air, you will lose signal. However, if you don't mind watching analog, it will still be up. Just switch to the analog channel and you can continue to watch.

Ralph Carson
A.C.E.
WGXA TV24
post #296 of 2148 Old 04-26-2005, 08:30 PM

Ralph,
Maybe I've just never noticed it before, but I didn't know there was a digital channel being delivered for wgxa over cox. The only locals I've found in the lineup are the ones in the analog tier and the ones delivering hd, channels 704, 705, 706.

I don't roam out of the HD lineup very often, so maybe i've missed it, but I can say that WGXA is at least not clustered with the other digital locals in the 700s.

Of course I haven't watched a fox program since the superbowl, so this is the first time since I switched from OTA to Cox that i've even looked for fox.

Keep up the good fight for us.
post #297 of 2148 Old 04-27-2005, 02:37 PM

I will try and find out on what channel the digital signal resides. I was not aware they were carrying our digital signal either until April 26, when I had a conversation with one of their engineers. When I find out, I will let you know. If they just started, you may have to rescan their box (if it has that feature). I do not know how the new boxes operate. Anyway, I will ask.

Ralph Carson
WGXA TV
post #298 of 2148 Old 04-28-2005, 02:02 PM

WGNM (analog 64), the UPN affiliate in Macon, should be up on the air later today (4/28/05)... but that could slip to tomorrow (4/29/05), depending on how many sections of transmission line end up bad.

It'll be on channel 45, with 1 million watts of effective radiated power - no low power Special Temporary Authority for WGNM. When their digital comes on, they'll be at full power.

I'm unclear on the status of their STL for HD, I know it was ordered and on the way a couple of weeks ago.

UPN in HD... coming soon.
post #299 of 2148 Old 04-29-2005, 03:09 PM

I get HDTV on my Samsung HLP from COX. I noticed poor quality image on705(NBC) on and off over the past week. Previously reception had always been great. All other stations, expecially Discovery and INHD are awesome. 704 is not as crisp.

Had COX out to change the new DVR box. That did not fix the problem. He removed a splitter and checked all connections. He said I have substandard indoor cable.

Is anybody else noticing a problem with fine pixelation on 705?

Why would just one channel have this problem and all others be OK?

Will probably call COX back when I get a chance. I am paying for high def and expect to get a great picture.
post #300 of 2148 Old 04-29-2005, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Threads merged.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page