Macon, GA - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2005, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apparently Cox has some legal matters to square away. I hear they must give public notice before making changes. This will require 30 days. I don't know if they can get around this. Sorry. We are on the air in HD now, if you can pick us up.

Ralph Carson
WGXA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2005, 06:22 AM

Liked: 16
I caught part of The O.C. last night and was stunned by the picture. Excellent all around. It seemed to be HD on my set. Have not checked on Cox recently.

Wonder when they might begin to carry the signal?

Ready for football season.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 AM

I have a friend in Perry that is trying to get the OTA signal. Is the signal strong enough to reach perry ga?? He receives ABC and CBS via OTA from there. Should he be able to get fox too?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:43 AM

I live in Kathleen and have not been able to pick up 41-1 or 24-1 yet. I will be back in the attic this weekend fine tuning the antenna. Hopefully, I will get 24-1. I get 13-1, 58-1 and 64-1 solid.

kenny
Old 08-12-2005, 08:45 AM

yeah my budz is about 15 foot in the air and he claims he can't get it, but I find that strange considering on antennaweb he is only 22 miles away and FOX is looking stronger on Antennaweb than any of the others for him
Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 AM

Wish I could pick it up from my home... Falcons in HD is gonna be so nice for you guys...
Old 08-12-2005, 09:03 AM

It is my understanding that the cable system in Perry will be picking up the HD signal and retransmitting it over their system. I do not know if that retransmission will be HD real soon, but I talked to the guy and he seems enthusiastic, so I figure their engineers are doing all they can. Cox was enthusiastic as well, but they have to get the legal stuff done. I am glad y'all like the picture. It looked pretty good from my house, even on an NTSC set. The local audio was a little low, but I think I got that straightened out now. Enjoy!

Ralph Carson
WGXA DT24

P.S. Cable systems usually have tall towers and can pick up signals that an average joe couldn't. So, your guess is as good as mine as to whether you can pick us up in Perry. It's worth a shot, and I think it could be done, but I couldn't guarantee it. Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Ralph,
I have been able to receive the Fox 720P digital signal for the last several days. The channel is a little week and subject to some reception problems during the day but the night seems to come in a little stronger. Bernie Mac on Wed. night and the OC last night were both broadcast in HD. The picture is awesome. Better yet, I am also getting Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound on the network feed. That puts you one up on the other local broadcasts. I get Dolby Digital 2.0 surround from CBS (would love to hear CSI in 5.1) and NBC. While ABC comes in Dolby 2.1 surround (ProLogic, I think).

Thanks for all your work on this. Channel 24 was late to the party, but you brought some good stuff. I was worried I would only get to see the Falcons in HD on their ESPN and ABC (Monday Night - 3 times this year) games. Now that you came through, it should be the Falcons in HD all year.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 PM

Thanks Ralph,

I don't particularly like the Falcons, but loved to watch them get beat. Now, I'll have a perfect picture of them getting there butts kicked. Although I've been able to watch them on Atlanta's Fox 5, with occassional dropouts, I shouldn't have that problem any longer.

Thanks Channel 24,

Al

Charter Voomer
Old 08-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Hey Y'all:
You can thank Fox and their splicer system for the 5.1 surround. Because we don't demultiplex the network signal, it carries the Dolby 5.1 signal without us doing anything. We have no Dolby encoder that does surround, but we don't need it. Fox does the encoding, and we just pass it through. By the way, I'm a surround nut and have been since the days of quadraphonic sound. So this pleases me well. Love those signal reports. Thanks everyone for your patience.

Ralph Carson
WGXA DT24
Old 08-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Hoping the Falcons game is in HD tonight at 7:30.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:57 AM

Ahhhh my Samsung DLP doesn't have a built in HD tuner. I'll have to wait til Cox does their 30 day notification. I've waited this long, a few more weeks won't be a problem. I'm glad that ya'll are up and running in HD Ralph. I'm a surround nut too. I can hardly wait to hear Fox in 5.1 on my system. My Denon decodes (from Cox) all the other networks in Pro Logic, not Dolby Digital. My only Dolby Digital channels are INHD1 and 2, Universal HD, Discovery HD, and Braves HD. I'd sure like to hear the other networks in 5.1. Thanks again Ralph for your updates here.

Bob
Old 08-15-2005, 01:29 PM

So just for a good laugh I called Cox and asked about when they'll pick up the HD feed from WGXA. Their answer, as expected, "we have no idea when that will happen". If they don't, who does? LOL

Bob

p.s. It's always so nice to talk to well informed people at Cox!!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 PM

Yeah, the wonderful people at Cox are typically not too well informed. Even when they have the channel up and running (that is when), the people who answer the phones probably won't be aware of it.

And about surround sound...Encore on channel 300 (Cox digital/HD) comes in 5.1 sound. The other Encore don't. Also, I've been picking up Starz! with no audio. Just a nice picture to look at without sound. Anyone else getting this?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:10 AM

I'll have to look at channel 300. Not sure that I've tuned it in before. I don't get Starz! so I have no clue about the sound. Have you noticed that the HD channels on Cox have lower audio than the SD channels? It's a fairly significant difference in audio levels too. I have to adjust the volume a LOT when I go from one to the other. It wasn't that pronounced until a couple of months ago. There was always a difference in levels, just not to the degree that it is now. I did get a reply to an email I sent to Cox about WGXA. It basically didn't even give a ballpark timeframe for when they'd carry the feed. It just said that they would be carrying the HD feed. I wish someone from Cox would get on these boards and read some of the comments made about them here. Maybe it would open their eyes a little....then again maybe it wouldn't!

Bob
Old 08-16-2005, 06:58 AM

Encore 300 also shows up in 5.1 if the movie is broadcast that way. Interesting to note that movies with 5.1 on Encore never sound that way if they are repeated on Mystery, Western, etc. Sometimes I have noticed 5.1 on Flix or IFC, but those instances are rare. Universal HD only shows Battlestar Galactica repeats with 5.1, I think. I have never seen to much else on them with the 5.1.

I wish the other local networks would pass a 5.1 signal if possible.

I would also like to see TNT in HD, have noticed that graphic when watching some of their programming (The Closer, Wanted, etc).

At least I can get the locals OTA.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 PM

Hey Y'all:
I wouldn't knock Cox too much. They have already supplied a fiber transmitter to transmit the HD signal to them. They just have to do things by the book since they're such a large company. Their technical staff have worked with us without hesitation. On this and on other technical issues. I have no complaint with them. On the other hand, now the ball's in their court.

Ralph Carson
WGXA DT

By the way, in defense of Cox, I believe they do as we do and just pass the signal through undemodulated, so they may not have any control of the HD audio level. It's set before we get it, and all we can do is match the local level to network. There might be a way to adjust it on the splicer, but I haven't really studied that box yet. At any rate, it's probably out of their hands.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM

I don't think it's Cox in general, just some of the people that work customer support on the phones. They don't seem to be in the loop.

On Starz!, I didn't sign up for it, the channel has just been coming in...but without audio. Now, if I paid for it and didn't get sound, I'd be highly upset.

TNT in HD would be nice. So would the WB. They have some shows that would be nice. About the audio, I guess the only upsetting thing is when you see your show display broadcast in 5.1 but you can't receive it in 5.1.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:38 PM

When i activated my new cox account, i was told by the guy in the expo at the pionono kroger that they expected to have 30 new hd channels at the end of this year/beginning of next. I was obviously shocked by the statement and asked if i heard him correctly. This was just two weeks ago, and i can't imagine it will actually be completely true. But if they are looking at adding any channels much less 30, it would be sweet.

I did ask if the pricing structure would remain the same, and he said he expected that it would...by this point i was skeptical of everything he said, but he was knowledgable about fox being added, and he gave me a free modem.

Bonus points for anyone who can name 30 potential hd channels, even if you include the ones we have already and premiums 30 would be a lofty goal.

1. CBS
2. Abc
3. nbc
4. upn
5. wb
6. espn
7. espn2
8. tnt
9. bravo
10. hdnet
11. hdnet movies
12. inhd
13. inhd max
14. discovery
15. hbo
16. starz
17. cinemax
18. showtime
19. braves hd
Old 08-16-2005, 08:54 PM

You left out The Movie Channel HD, Outdoor Channel HD, TOC HD 2, Universal HD and then there are the Voom 10 Channels (but, I more than seriously doubt them). And maybe Starz is ready to put Encore HD back on. It was the best HD movie service, before it went dark. And there is also a Spice HD Channel as well as Playboy HD Channel. They could possibly put the PBS HD channel on, don't know if that would conflict with GPT or not.

Charter Voomer
Old 08-17-2005, 06:20 AM

Would like to have FX, USA, SCI FI if they have HD feeds. The WB would also be a nice addition. Isn't there a Fox movie channel?

Are any of these HD broadcasts?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:46 AM

I wasn't slamming the technical people at Cox by any means. I have great respect for them ever since they offered high speed internet service. They have definitely done high speed internet the way it should be done. It's rarely down and it's always blazing fast. You can tell they put a lot of forethought into building their network. My frustration with Cox comes from the completely uninformed people they put on their phones. When customer support tells me on the phone that she has no clue about Braves HD, or whether they'll be carrying it, and then two days later it's on......that's poor communication within the company. One would think they would keep their customer service people up to date with information. I can't honestly imagine them having 30 HD channels by years end. Like it's been said here in an earlier post....I don't know of 30 HD channels even available to the public. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome. I'm completely hooked on HD. I have a hard time watching TV these days unless it's in HD. Call me spoiled.....I don't care!! heh heh.

Bob
Old 08-17-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wallen View Post

Would like to have FX, USA, SCI FI if they have HD feeds. The WB would also be a nice addition. Isn't there a Fox movie channel?

Are any of these HD broadcasts?

Yes, the WB network has several shows in HD. Such as One Tree Hill, Everwood, Smallville, Summerland, What I Like About You, Reba, Living with Fran and Gilmore Girls. Which I think is over half of there shows. I also expect them to add even more HD to there fall line-up.

Al

Charter Voomer
Old 08-18-2005, 10:20 AM

Hey Y'all:
Cox cable has informed us that they are shooting for August 23 for their upgrade to hi def for WGXA's signal. They will be on ch 702, but I suspect their boxes will map it to ch 2. So, look for it. I believe that they do not demodulate the mpeg stream, so the 5.1 surround should be intact. Enjoy your Hi def!

Ralph Carson
WGXA DT
Old 08-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Ralph,

Thanks for the update that's great news....the Falcons will be on Fox in HD on the 25th.....that'll work out great! They will probably be on 702, all the other HD network feeds are in the 700's. NBC, CBS and ABC are 4, 5, and 6 for the SD feed and 704, 705, 706 for the HD feeds. I'm guessing Fox will be SD on 2 and HD on 702. It's kinda cool being able to switch back and forth during an HD program to show someone without HD what the difference looks like. Everyone I've shown it to has been absolutely amazed! Being in 5.1 will be great too!

Bob
Old 08-18-2005, 02:21 PM

^What he said.

Thanks for the info Ralph.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:49 PM

The New Orleans vs. New England game tonight looks stunning. DD 5.1 sound. Good stuff.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Ralph,
The game last night was great in every respect. Ya'll did a great job. Now tell your boss to give you all a good raise and a bonus to match.

Al

Edit: Be sure and tell him Voomvoom said sooo......

Charter Voomer
Old 08-23-2005, 11:12 PM

Got to check out 24 this evening, the picure was great and the sound was impressive. Thanks Ralph and all of the 24 Staff for bringing Hi-Def FOX to Middle Georgia. The signal was on Cox 702, great 5.1 sound(wish the other locals could send the 5.1 sound thru). May be watching more of FOX this year.

Thanks again.

Doug
Old 08-24-2005, 05:09 AM

I tuned in "House" last night on Fox as well. The picture was awesome and the 5.1 came thru as well. Did anyone else have the Fox logo in the bottom right of their screen.....only most of it was out of the viewing area? Mine looked like it said "FO". I can hardly wait for the NFC preseason game that'll be on this Friday night! Thanks for all your hard work Ralph!

Bob