Macon, GA - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2151 Old 09-12-2006, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We had a viewer complaint that they were getting our signal but no picture. We took the opportunity to straighten out some issues with our splicer, and reworked the PSIP file. We hope this resolves the "plenty of signal but no picture" issue for all viewers. But it's hard to know if a particular manufacterer's set will reject your signal, some are a lot more finicky. We never know what changes will affect who's set.

Transmitter construction is coming along nicely, but we are having a time trying to figure out how to get everything into our small building. We will have to move our current transmitter, which will put our digital signal off the air, but we hope to accomplish that rather quickly.

Ralph Carson
A.C.E.
WGXA TV24/DT16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2151 Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up on going off the air, Ralph. When I notice it, maybe I will remember and not complain to loudly about it. Good Luck on a speedy conversion.

Al

Charter Voomer
post #543 of 2151 Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voomvoom View Post

Sometimes, you know, it's not your equipment, it's there's?

Al

Well I get it fine with my tv's tuner and with another application on my pc. The app I prefer to use (Mytheatre) is very customizable, I have settings for audio and video pids and all sorts of stuff I know nothing about lol
post #544 of 2151 Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 PM

does anybody know anything about the new channels Cox is supposed to add to the lineup? i got a letter today saying my bill would be going up. It mentioned that they would be adding the Zone channels (Sportszone, Kidszone, and Newszone). Be nice if they'd add ESPN2HD instead, but i guess we could only dream.
post #545 of 2151 Old 09-14-2006, 11:36 PM

Why do you have "Wheel of Fortune" in HD and you don't have "Jeopardy!" in HD? I thought both shows were to be in HD? What's going on?

Al

Charter Voomer
post #546 of 2151 Old 09-15-2006, 05:12 AM

they may still be having problems with jeopardy. the first show started in HD but the audio was nothing but static. not sure why there is a difference, they both come from Sony studios.
post #547 of 2151 Old 09-18-2006, 05:52 PM

They must have found the problem. Jeopardy is in HD tonight.

Al

Charter Voomer
post #548 of 2151 Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 PM

Hey, I just noticed you can select a white background to view the forum. I like this much better!

Ralph Carson
WGXA
post #549 of 2151 Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 PM

I searched around and cant find out what channels are in clear QAM on Cox Cable (Byron). Does anybody know, or will someone with a clear QAM tuner and cable try an experiment?
post #550 of 2151 Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 PM

Another item im researching is availability of "TV Guide On Screen" (from Gemstar) in this area. A number of consumer digital recorder devices now use it.

Wikipedia Says: "The original analog TV service uses the vertical blanking interval (VBI) of host television stations that datacast the service, similar to the way closed captioning and teletext are broadcast. .............The new service, launched in the United States in 2006, is entirely digital, using the ATSC TV standard. Like the analog service, it is distributed by National Datacast on PBS TV network stations."

I presume Cox cable does not carry it because it provides a free alternative to their DVR service. (if you buy a compatible recorder)

Does anybody know if WPBA DT in Atlanta broadcasts "TV Guide On Screen"?
Do any of the other Macon DTV stations provide it?
post #551 of 2151 Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 PM

I have a JVC HM-DT100U Digital VCR, with built-in ATSC tuner and it has an EPG (Electronic Program Guide). It works great, but it only works with the digital channels, and I can't tell you where it comes from? I believe it comes from the individual channels, but I don't know. And, I don't have cable, I use it for my OTA (over the air), but if I understand my instruction book, I see no reason to keep it from working with cable channels, unless the digital only would stop it. But, if you have digital cable, I would think it would work. I can't tell about something I don't know, but it works for OTA great.
On my tv, the one with the built-in ATSC tuner, I only get the info from the PSIP, that my Mits will decode. It sometimes shows the names of the programs, but usually it doesn't. It depends on the station, as they put out different information. I think different tuners are different, so different tuners get different results.

Al

Charter Voomer
post #552 of 2151 Old 09-25-2006, 03:42 PM

We transmit Gemstar on our analog signal, but not on the digital signal. It probably makes it through the upconversion, but a digital receiver would probably not look for it in the vertical interval of the de-digitized signal. Even then it would only appear during local programming, or during commercial breaks while in network.

Ralph Carson
WGXA TV24/DT16
post #553 of 2151 Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM

Hey thanks Ralph for confirming what i suspected. I did read part of the AVS Forum string on the LG LST3410A (which uses this service) and found some speculation there that TV Guide On Screen data is transmitted by many analog TV stations, especially in the larger cities. Looks like if there is near nationwide coverage, you could find this info online. But even TV Guide On Screen web site does not ID stations or coverage.
post #554 of 2151 Old 09-25-2006, 07:04 PM

Now if someone with a tuner would do the clear QAM experiment with cox................
post #555 of 2151 Old 09-26-2006, 02:51 PM

I'm not exactly new to HDTV but I'm still trying to fine tune my set-up for the best OTA reception. I have a 50" Sony Grand WEGA LCD monitor and a Dish HD Receiver. For OTA signals I have a Channel Master 3671 UHF/VHF antenna with a Channel Master 7777 preamp mounted on a rotator around 20' up. There are some tall trees around my house but no tall buildings.

I live in Reynolds, GA 31076. My problem is that right now I am receiving HD signals from three different cities in opposite directions (Macon - 35 to 40 miles and generally east of me, Columbus - 50 to 60 miles and generally west of me and Atlanta - 80 to 100 miles and generally north of me). Right now, the strongest HD signal I get is WMAZ-DT from Macon although even that usually has some pixillation depending on the atmospheric conditions. The other VHF signal is WXIA from Atlanta. Other than that, it appears all of the other digital signals are UHF with broadcast frequencies between 15 and 49.

From what I have read, I would like to try a UHF antenna, maybe a Channel Master 4228 or Antennas Direct DB8 with a rotator to be able to get signals from all three cities. Any suggestions on which model? Also, since WMAZ's and WXIA's digital channels are VHF, will I lose these signals if I only use a UHF antenna? Finally, how directional are these UHF antennas and will I have any problems with using a rotator?

Other than WMAZ, all of the HD signals are generally hit or miss but usually the Atlanta signals are the strongest. I assume this is because it is a larger market and the stations are probably already operating at full power whereas I understand the Macon and Columbus stations have not gone full power yet. In addition, I never know which way I am going to have to point my antenna to get a particular signal. For instance, when WXIA (Atlanta) is coming in strong with the antenna aimed between 0 and 10 degrees, other signals from Atlanta may come in with it pointed at 100 degrees or around at 240 degrees. I assume these signals are bouncing off of something. There are three very tall (200 feet +) towers within a couple of blocks from me that are owned by the phone company and the power company but I'm not exactly sure what they are.

Anyway, would either of the two UHF antennas I mentioned (4228 or DB8) likely make any difference from my current setup? It's frustrating getting such strong signals on some nights with hardly any signals on others and always having to adjust the direction of the antenna to find them. I don't mind mounting whatever antenna I use on a rotator but I'm just not sure what type of antenna I should be using.
post #556 of 2151 Old 09-27-2006, 11:28 AM

From what I've read in the Atlanta threads, the 4228 works well for VHF 10 in Atlanta. But, at your distance it could be risky? I don't think it would work for VHF 4 in Macon, if you decide to try it, let us know the results. I have a CM Spartan 3 amplifier (0064DSB), it has a 300 Ohms input to 75 Ohm download output. They also make one that's 75 Ohm to 75 Ohm (I think it's # is 0065DSB). I used it on a CM antenna, that high winds took down a couple of years ago. At that time I got a Winegard deep fringe VHF/UHF/FM antenna, the largest one they make. It's powered by a Wingard distribution amplifier (DA-1136). I get great results with it. Six weeks ago, I ordered the 3671b from CM (that may be what you have), through Fouraker Electronics in Macon, along with the CM rotor with remote. I got the antenna last week, the rotor didn't come in, yet. I plan to use my CM Spartan 3 with it and put it up at my sister's place. If the rotor gets here in time, before you change anything, I'll let you know how well it works. My only concern is the Spartan 3 took a good wack when the antenna fell a couple of years back. If it doesn't work, I'll get another Spartan 3, I don't know how well the 7777 works (at least in the spec's.), but if I remember right, it's not as good as the Spartan 3? Maybe you should try a Spartan 3 amplifier? Good Luck!

Al

Charter Voomer
post #557 of 2151 Old 09-28-2006, 05:41 AM

evo,
unfortunately even with a QAM tuner and cox, you can't get HD channels from the cable line unless you pay for it. Their website says you get the locals in HD free if you have basic cable, but if you try to tune the channels you get nothing. A friend of mine used to get the channels free but not anymore. This is also the case for my parents who live in Baton Rouge and use Cox. I'm wondering if it would be worth contacting the BBB against Cox for false advertising. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get away with a pair of rabbit ears connected to your tv to get the locals OTA.
post #558 of 2151 Old 09-29-2006, 07:54 PM

seanmc:

here is a website where you can compare the theoretical gain of 3671 and the 4228:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
look at the plot labeled "Net Gain for some common UHF antennas"

Looks like the 4228 will give you from 1 to 3 dB better gain where it counts. Im not sure if this is enough to solve your problem though. Thats not much. If possible, i would recommend some more height to see if it helps. Also, make sure the coax is in good shape, not significantly longer than necessary, and a low loss type for the RF range needed. I used Belden 1694A on my install. Also i used sealed connectors and purchased the tools to install them.

I have a 4228 waiting for me to install - to be pointed toward Atlanta. Im only 11 miles from the Macon stations and pull them in with a cheapie antenna.
post #559 of 2151 Old 09-29-2006, 08:22 PM

mchias 1:

I already have an ATSC tuner and outdoor antenna to pull in the local HD stations. I also have standard COX cable and refuse to pay the diff for digital as it looks like theres not much more HD content right now that i cant get for free.

I was just wondering if there are any channels other than local that Cox local might not be scrambled. People in some areas around the country are reporting this. One guy even reported getting PPV programs purchased by a neighbor for some reason.

When you say "if you try to tune the channels you get nothing", do you know someone who has done this locally with a clear QAM tuner?

Note cable companies are using QAM modulation - This is not compatible with 8VSB modulation used by ATSC, over the air tuners. If you simply hook Cox cable up to an ATSC tuner, you will get nothing because the signals are not compatible. The set top box provided by the cable company is a QAM tuner and descrambler. A "clear QAM" tuner is included in some HDTV's and receivers (although not common), and i think some "cable cards" may receive unscrambled content without the cable company's software.
post #560 of 2151 Old 09-30-2006, 07:37 PM

locally i'm not sure. i know the guy who tried through a friend of mine. i'm not sure if he has a QAM tuner or just an atsc.

my parents in louisiana have cox also and have a QAM atsc tuner. they can not get ANYTHING through the cable line. they have to use an antenna for the locals.

according to cox's website, you are only supposed to get the locals, ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX, for free through the cable line with basic cable. all the rest you must get digital cable to receive.
post #561 of 2151 Old 10-04-2006, 06:48 PM

I get locals in HD over a basic cox sub with a dvico fusion pci card
post #562 of 2151 Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck35 View Post

I get locals in HD over a basic cox sub with a dvico fusion pci card

Chuck35
There you go! Thanks. I assume you have Cox Middle GA ......right?
post #563 of 2151 Old 10-07-2006, 05:28 AM

I just noticed WMAZ is simulcasting there main feed in SD on the channel that's been a black screen for so long. So now it's like this: 13.1 = HD, 13.2 = SD, 13.3 = Dopplar Radar.

Al

Charter Voomer
post #564 of 2151 Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 PM

Anyone else getting the occasional breakup in their picture and sound on WGXA-DT? First started to notice it Sunday during the football games and just had it happen now during the ALCS game. Using Cox on a Motorola HD box.
post #565 of 2151 Old 10-11-2006, 05:54 AM

flashram,
i've been getting the break ups for over a week now. i have digital cable in warner robins. it's pretty much been happening since around the time they upped the broadband bandwidth. not sure if that has something to do with it or not. hopefully cox fixes the problem.

i get the break ups only from the digital box. the analogue tuner in my computer doesn't have any problems.
post #566 of 2151 Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 AM

Hey Y'all:
Progress is moving along on our DTV transmitter construction. We have the new electrical service installed, they're installing the new air conditioners now. We have the Ranger transmitter moved to make room and we expect delivery of the new transmitter soon. After assembly of the transmitter, we still have to do tower reinforcement and install the new antenna and line. Of course each one of these steps involves a bunch of little steps, but we're moving right along.

Ralph Carson
WGXA TV24/DT16
post #567 of 2151 Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post

Chuck35
There you go! Thanks. I assume you have Cox Middle GA ......right?

Yes Mid Ga!
post #568 of 2151 Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 PM

The air conditioners are in and we now await the transmitter itself. It should be in next week. Things are moving right along.

Ralph Carson
WGXA TV24/DT16
post #569 of 2151 Old 10-22-2006, 08:53 PM

mchias1- Are you still getting break ups in your WGXA-DT picture? It is beyond annoying at this point. I guess I will call Cox tomorrow, not that I think it will make a difference.
post #570 of 2151 Old 10-23-2006, 05:29 AM

i get the break up on all digital channels. but i read in the Cox thread for Baton Rouge that there are people complaining about the same thing there.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page