post #721 of 2150 Old 02-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

But, why not pick up some FM?

Have you actually listened to FM lately?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2150 Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldave View Post

That's pretty much on the nose. I only listen to my cd's and the Sirius channels on Dish Network. FM radio is awful these days, especially where I live. It's all Christian and country stations. So FM is unimportant to me.

post #723 of 2150 Old 02-24-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Chief View Post

Hey guys and gals. New to the page, but have been a recent frequent reader. I would like to know how many of you use, on a regular basis, the digital over-the-air channels. Is there a high demand in this market for the over-the-air signals to receive both digital and HD broadcasts? Secondly, how many of you use or have used the digital sub-channel that WMAZ uses for their radar and audio forecast? Do you use it frequently during inclement weather? Is there a demand for a 24-hour type weather "network" in this area? Thanks ahead of time!

Da Chief, are you da chief at WMAZ? I can't speak for anyone else, but I watch OTA everyday, so at least I demand digital and HD and 5.1 Surround Sound, as soon as possible. I look at the Radar (13.3) everyday, 2-5 times daily. And during March Madness, I've watched a game of more interest on your other SD channel (13.2). I've also caught (only a couple of times) Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune on it (13.2) around 1pm, of course that was before they became HD programs. If by 24-hour weather network, you mean like your sister (Gannet) station in Atlanta's (Eleven Alive) Weather Plus, or like the CBS affiliate in Columbus's (WRBL) First Alert - 24/7 Weather. Then by all means Yes, I demand it also, but I would hate to lose the radar. If you're going to leave the other (13.2) channel Blank, put it there. Please!

Al

Charter Voomer
post #724 of 2150 Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldave View Post

Not much of the Macon area FMs. Here in SLC we have a couple of classical, a Jazz, and a light jazz station that are pretty good.

And, I remember when Macon had several good, locally-produced FM stations....WCRY's FM, WMAZ's FM, Lowell Register's MOR station from Perry, and good ole' WDEN. Maybe I should set up a Slingbox back home, and check out the Macon stations sometimes.

How well do the Atlanta stations come in? I guess if you just want some good music for free, there's always FTA sat.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #725 of 2150 Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Hey Y'all:
I apologize for not responding to a request for an update about the status of WGXA's high power digital effort, but I have been out working on the new transmitter. Of course I know that's what you really want to hear. However, we have been set back by bad weather and tower crews cancelling because of the need to handle a line burnout at another station up in South Carolina. We will not be on air in March, with the delays they're saying April, but I suspect it could be May. However, I hope not. But a lot has been done and when they get to it, we will have done our part. The electricians are done with power distribution, and we are doing grounding and signal conduits now. If you don't hear from me it probably means I am working on it. That's all for now.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
WGXA TV24/DT16
post #726 of 2150 Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update Ralph. Sorry to hear about the setbacks. Good luck with the upgrade and hope to see you guys in HD in the next few months. I'm hoping April as that is my birthday month and would be a great birthday present.

post #727 of 2150 Old 02-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voomvoom View Post

Da Chief, are you da chief at WMAZ? I can't speak for anyone else, but I watch OTA everyday, so at least I demand digital and HD and 5.1 Surround Sound, as soon as possible. I look at the Radar (13.3) everyday, 2-5 times daily. And during March Madness, I've watched a game of more interest on your other SD channel (13.2). I've also caught (only a couple of times) Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune on it (13.2) around 1pm, of course that was before they became HD programs. If by 24-hour weather network, you mean like your sister (Gannet) station in Atlanta's (Eleven Alive) Weather Plus, or like the CBS affiliate in Columbus's (WRBL) First Alert - 24/7 Weather. Then by all means Yes, I demand it also, but I would hate to lose the radar. If you're going to leave the other (13.2) channel Blank, put it there. Please!

Just to clarify, I am NOT the chief at WMAZ. Thanks for everyone who responded to my unofficial survey question. It appears that OTA is fairly popular in this area and a weather feature would be used by area viewers. This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks everyone!
post #728 of 2150 Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Chief View Post

Just to clarify, I am NOT the chief at WMAZ. Thanks for everyone who responded to my unofficial survey question. It appears that OTA is fairly popular in this area and a weather feature would be used by area viewers. This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks everyone!

If we're talking a weather feature as a subchannel of a current HD channel, then count me out. I'm not a fan of taking bandwidth from a main channel because picture quality suffers.

post #729 of 2150 Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

If we're talking a weather feature as a subchannel of a current HD channel, then count me out. I'm not a fan of taking bandwidth from a main channel because picture quality suffers.

You should check out WRBL-DT. Their weather channel on 3.2 is very well done, and their main 3.1 looks better than WMAZ's.
post #730 of 2150 Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:

And, I remember when Macon had several good, locally-produced FM stations....WCRY's FM, WMAZ's FM, Lowell Register's MOR station from Perry, and good ole' WDEN. Maybe I should set up a Slingbox back home, and check out the Macon stations sometimes.

Don't bother. Clear Channel and Cumulus jukeboxes, and Lowell's WPGA-FM's doing a Jones AC format, with WPGA-AM is Radio Disney (along with WNEX, which Lowell purchased).

Quote:

How well do the Atlanta stations come in? I guess if you just want some good music for free, there's always FTA sat.

Or the Sirius channels on my Dish Network... not exactly free, I guess. I've also got the Sirius receiver itself.
post #731 of 2150 Old 03-03-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a link to my favorite channels:
http://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy25.html

and, my programming provider:
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #732 of 2150 Old 03-03-2007, 08:57 AM

FYI: Signal Strength DTV recever
Bolingbroke area:
RS antennea in the attic:
Preamp.
13-1 100%
24-1 30/40%
41-1 95%
58-1 68%
post #733 of 2150 Old 03-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Hey Y'all:
Things are in full swing at the WGXA transmitter site. The tower modifications are being done and the transmitter is being assembled. I have been hanging unistrut and conduit for signal, control, and monitoring lines. We hope to have the transmitter ready to go by the time the antenna and line are up. But I don't know when that will be. But things are moving right along.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
WGXA TV24/DT 16

Incidently, I noticed a lot of conversation about WMGT. They did something odd. They went with a "mid power" transmitter that puts out somewhere around 15 to 20 kilowatts. This is of course not counting antenna gain. Ours will be a 30 KW, about half of our analog power. They say you don't need as much in digital for the same coverage so this is normal. But why they didn't go with a 30KW I'll never quite understand. RC
post #734 of 2150 Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep them updates coming Ralph!

post #735 of 2150 Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Thank you WMAZ for showing at least 1 March Madness game in HD. The Atlanta CBS affilate Channel 46 has elected to show all games in SD in order to show all games. While that is commendable if you do not have a digital tuner tv you cannot see them all and if you have a digital tuner tv you would normally want to see at least 1 in HD. Living in Forsyth I had the option of turning my ant to Macon. So thanks again WMAZ!!
post #736 of 2150 Old 03-18-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got my antenna up. It's a Channel Master 3671 and a 7777 pre-amp. I'm only getting about 65-70% on 13 (4) and around 40-50% on 41 (40) and 58 (32). I think my problem is the crappy job I did crimping the f-connectors on the coax. I'm going to try and go buy some decent crimping tools and connectors tomorrow. I may see if my local installer will come out and use some good f-connectors and crimp everything for me. Plus I'm going to put it a little higher and see if that helps.

What little I have seen of 13 and 41, OTA HD looks much better than HD-lite on E*.

Edit: I've got a thread going on over at the HDTV Reception Hardware forum to see if maybe I can get more signal strength. Any of you local guys have any advice feel free to let me know.

post #737 of 2150 Old 03-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Incidently, I noticed a lot of conversation about WMGT. They did something odd. They went with a "mid power" transmitter that puts out somewhere around 15 to 20 kilowatts. This is of course not counting antenna gain. Ours will be a 30 KW, about half of our analog power. They say you don't need as much in digital for the same coverage so this is normal. But why they didn't go with a 30KW I'll never quite understand. RC

Ummm... operating costs?

They only need to make 110KW ERP at 189 meters.
post #738 of 2150 Old 03-21-2007, 07:54 AM

Hey Y'all:
More progress! The plumbing is finished and flushed out. The tower mods are finished and it will now support the weight of the new antenna. Another crew will come and put up the line and antenna. Most of the conduits are finished and I have to run one more. The mask filter is connected to the transmitter. An engineer from Acrodyne will come and wire it all up. It's starting to look real industrial, the ceiling has pipes and conduits running everywhere, hung from unistrut. I have to move a rack. We still have to install the IOT device. So there is still much to do, but a lot has been done.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
WGXA-TV-24/DT-16
post #739 of 2150 Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Carson View Post

Hey Y'all:
More progress! The plumbing is finished and flushed out. The tower mods are finished and it will now support the weight of the new antenna. Another crew will come and put up the line and antenna. Most of the conduits are finished and I have to run one more. The mask filter is connected to the transmitter. An engineer from Acrodyne will come and wire it all up. It's starting to look real industrial, the ceiling has pipes and conduits running everywhere, hung from unistrut. I have to move a rack. We still have to install the IOT device. So there is still much to do, but a lot has been done.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
WGXA-TV-24/DT-16

Woo-hoo!

Can't wait for Fox sports in HD!

post #740 of 2150 Old 03-22-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Woo-hoo!

Can't wait for Fox sports in HD!

Unfortunately, we'll probably miss NASCAR on FOX this year... at least ABC is carrying the final 10 races.
post #741 of 2150 Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 AM

Hey Y'all:
It will not be April 1st. Maybe May 1st. We still have to wait for others.

Ralph Carson
WGXA TV24/DT 16
post #742 of 2150 Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Well, if you guys can get the tower work done by June 3, we'll get to see one Cup race in HD. Otherwise, we'll have to settle for TNT-HD then ESPN-HD and WPGA-DT.
post #743 of 2150 Old 04-13-2007, 07:10 AM

Hey Y'all:
Construction is proceeding very fast now on WGXA DT's high power transmitter. The transmission line is stacked on the tower and the antenna will be raised today (April 13) IF we can get the winch repaired, which broke down yesterday. I await a part as I type this. The IOT tube has arrived and will be installed soon. I have been wiring up remote control lines and that is mostly done. Only programming remains on the remote system. Gentlemen, we are mere days away.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
WGXA TV24/DT16
post #744 of 2150 Old 04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Woohoo! Thanks Ralph. Almost there....

post #745 of 2150 Old 04-15-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Gentlemen, we are mere days away.

Few enough that I could plan on HDTV for the cookout Saturday night, or ya reckon I'll still need the satellite receiver?
post #746 of 2150 Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Hey Y'all:
Construction is proceeding very fast now on WGXA DT's high power transmitter. The transmission line is stacked on the tower and the antenna will be raised today (April 13) IF we can get the winch repaired, which broke down yesterday. I await a part as I type this. The IOT tube has arrived and will be installed soon. I have been wiring up remote control lines and that is mostly done. Only programming remains on the remote system. Gentlemen, we are mere days away.

Ralph Carson
Assistant Chief Engineer
WGXA TV24/DT16

This is really great news.
post #747 of 2150 Old 04-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Hey Y'all:
Progress is still moving rapidly. The antenna and line are installed and ready to be tuned and swept. The transmitter is in the testing phase and has developed a problem, but we'll work it out. We have a top notch engineer from Acrodyne on site and he is on it. Remote control is ready and awaiting testing. The finishing touches are being put on. The tower guys will be derigging soon. We are working furiously. There may be signal interruptions as the tests are run, just tune in to the analog transmitter or satellite and have patience. All those of you who cannot pick us up now, it will be soon. I would say start rescanning sometime next week. I will let you know when we are on at full power, but you might find out sooner that way. As before, our high def schedule will not change, but our reach will.

Ralph carson
WGXA TV24/DT16
post #748 of 2150 Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

What's the current list of OTA channels (both analog and Digital would be nice) for the Macon area now? I'm curious what is on air.

post #749 of 2150 Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:

What's the current list of OTA channels (both analog and Digital would be nice) for the Macon area now? I'm curious what is on air.

These are the stations I recieve both Digital and Analog there may be others but these are all I get.

Digital

WMAZ-DT 13.1 CBS
WGXA-DT 24.1 FOX
WMGT-DT 41.1 NBC
WPGA-DT 58.1 ABC
WGNM-DT 64.1 CTN

Analog

WMAZ 13 CBS
WGXA 24 FOX
WMGT 41 NBC
WPGA 58 ABC
WGNM 64 CTN
post #750 of 2150 Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

No subchannels, though? I think I could wean my father off of Cable, if they just had an OTA weather channel, like WeatherPlus.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page