Macon, GA - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2003, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great news! Just did a scan and picked it up. I'm getting 100% signal strength here in Warner Robins with a crappy Terk antenna. I'll be sure to email WPGA my setup and feedback once some HD material broadcasts this weekend. Thanks again for keeping us posted Wayne.

On a side note, is anyone having problems picking up WMAZ lately? My receiver has a really hard time locking onto it anymore. I was getting 93% signal strength before my problems started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

I get a fairly steady 50% signal strength in NW Warner Robins on a MyHD card with a Radio Shack double bowtie indoor antenna perched on the window sill.

The only problem I have with the signal is that the audio is too low compared to other channels. Be careful changing channels!
Old 07-11-2003, 07:27 PM

I have the same problem with the audio on ABC. WAY too low.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:37 PM

Nice! I can't wait to see it!

Bob
Old 07-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

The low audio was solved, or at least temporarily patched, this afternoon.

Did anybody bother to watch "Deep Rising" in HD tonight?
Old 07-13-2003, 06:07 PM

I missed "Deep Rising" but caught some of Dragnet. I figured I'd catch the Swiss Family Robinson that is on right now but it looks like someone at WPGA forgot to throw a switch or something as it's not coming thru in HD. Here's hoping for Alias at 9 p.m.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Alias was in HD and Practice was also.

It probably wasn't most ideal to start it at 4:00 on a Friday afternoon and do a shakedown cruise over the weekend, but at least some of the HD went through.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got a chance to watch ABC last night. The picture looks great, sound still seems a little low but it was the same on the analog channel. I am over near Wesleyan College in Macon and I am only getting a 55 - 60 signal. I get 95+ on WMAZ. Is ABC that much weaker? Even at this signal strength though, the picture is great.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:16 PM

Finally got a signal today. Had to re-orient my antenna (it became misaligned this spring during one of our storms, but I never fixed it since it didn't hamper my WMAZ reception - both it and WDCO analog never have a problem no matter which way the antenna points). I actually had to LOWER it to get any sort of locked signal at all. I thought that was odd.

My signal on my Dish 6000 is 53-55 (compared to the 75-79 I get for WMAZ). I'm in Warner Robins off Russell Pkwy. The picture looked good and hardly dropped out at all, even with such a mediocre signal strength. There's no question that I need a better antenna. This mid-sized Radio Shack model just doesn't work well for UHF, even with an amp.

The grey sidebars during non-HD programming (Judge Mathis in this case) were nice, though they looked weird with the black bars at the top and bottom on my NTSC set. No complaining here, though. I realize I'm not the target viewer in this case, and I can always zoom the non-HD stuff to fill my screen anyway.

The audio is still VERY low. I just checked, and it seems to be about half of WMAZ-DT's volume, which in turn was about 2/3 of WMAZ's NTSC volume. I hope this is fixed in the future. I plan to watch Less Than Perfect tonight, we'll see how that goes. I have a volume knob, so it's not a total disaster. I didn't notice the analog 58 to be any lower than 13.

Overall, I'm very happy and impressed. (Of course, as I was typing this, I lost the signal. I'm sure it's my antenna, though). Good job!

Bob
Old 07-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

When WPGA is showing ABC programming in HD, the audio is "pass through" exactly as it comes from ABC.

I don't think the signal is that much weaker, I think it depends on the antenna, since WMAZ is VHF and WPGA is UHF it's almost apples and oranges to compare them.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is the audio low ONLY on the HDTV stuff from ABC, but normal when they are upconverting (if that's what they are doing) regular programming?
Or, is it always low?

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Old 07-16-2003, 08:57 AM

Returned from Savannah last Sunday afternoon, and immediately tried to get ABC channel 32. No luck at all, but probably because it was storming outside. Continued trying that evening, and Monday during lunch, but still no lock on my HD200. Monday evening I finally got a lock, but very poor signal strength. I'm using the cheapest RS VHF/UHF combo, unamplified. Climbed the roof yesterday evening, and realigned the antenna. Now get signal strength just below the "l" in normal on the HD200 indicator. (For those of you that don't have an HD200, that's probably about 60-70%) Haven't watched much to see if I get dropouts, or what the audio level is compared to other channels. Too busy with a broken computer ((

My location is Statham's Landing in Warner Robins. Have to look thru many, many trees.

If this works fairly well, I'll probably leave it alone. Otherwise, first step will be to try the Terk TV55 I have, then a better RS antenna with an amplifier.

Regards
Walt Irvine
Old 07-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Bad news, guys. WPGA-DT is off the air. Both channels 58 and 32 share a single microwave radio link from the studio to the tower. The HDTV half of the microwave receiver at the tower was damaged by a lightning strike late this afternoon, and so the HDTV transmitter has no signal to transmit.

It can't be repaired until late Saturday night at the earliest, and that depends on a replacement part being overnighted tomorrow for Saturday delivery. If the part doesn't arrive on Saturday then WPGA-DT probably won't be back on the air until late Monday night.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

WPGA still isn't on, that must mean the spare part wasn't delivered on Saturday. Whenever it does arrive, it can't be installed until the wee hours of the morning, because 58 will have to go off the air during the repair.

Edit: It was back on Tuesday morning.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:04 AM

Is anyone having problems picking up CBS lately? If not, can someone just confirm that the signal is still being broadcast, I have not been able to get it for a few months now. All the other local stations come in fine, including analog WMAZ.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Watched some CBS this weekend
Old 09-19-2003, 05:30 AM

Is WPGA still on the air? I got a new antenna (a larger Channel Master instead of a medium-small Radio Shack model) and am still not picking up any signal, even after amplification. I either have a cabling issue, or the trees behind my house just aren't going to let me get a signal no matter what. I have poor signal on 58/64 as well, and only decent on 24/41. Of course, I get nothing on digital 40.

I'm thinking of LOWERING the antenna...maybe I'll be more successful just shooting through the tree trunks.

CBS comes in great, as usual (analog and digital - VHF rules).

Bob
Old 09-19-2003, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rbird
Is WPGA still on the air? I got a new antenna (a larger Channel Master instead of a medium-small Radio Shack model) and am still not picking up any signal, even after amplification. I either have a cabling issue, or the trees behind my house just aren't going to let me get a signal no matter what. I have poor signal on 58/64 as well, and only decent on 24/41. Of course, I get nothing on digital 40.

I'm thinking of LOWERING the antenna...maybe I'll be more successful just shooting through the tree trunks.

CBS comes in great, as usual (analog and digital - VHF rules).

Bob

Yes, WPGA is still on the air.

I get everything fine with my crappy terk antenna. The only problem is CBS, which used to come in fine. Sometimes if I let it sit there long enough it will get the signal, and it stays steady at 97-100% before dropping a few minutes later. No idea why it won't lock.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:36 PM

My father is on the Laurens/Wilkinson County line on Hwy 441 and is interested in DTV. Do any of you think there's a chance at getting any OTA HD from there? He's about 37 miles from the towers.

I checked antennaweb.org. According to that, he's got a fairly good shot at everything that's online, but I thought I'd check with the folks that should know. Thanks for any info.

Tom
Old 11-07-2003, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ask your dad if he can get Channels 13 and 58 now in analog. 13 has a pretty good signal, 58 is low but not bad. The terrain is fairly flat there so i bet he has a good shot. Antennas are fairly cheap, you can return them to radio shack anyway.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:05 PM

I know that he can get those channels; he has a cheap, medium sized directional UHF/VHF antenna currently in the attic already for analog locals.

I think he'll be able to get CBS fine. It's ABC, NBC, and eventually Fox that I'm worried about. Any opinion on those, and is NBC still 480i?
Old 12-20-2003, 12:20 AM

Anyone have any news on Fox WGXA-DT? Antennaweb is showing it goes live Jan 1st on Ch 16-1.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:45 PM

For what it's worth, I just called the chief engineer at WMGT (NBC), and he said Fox will be transmitting at 250 watts (that's not KW). You'll have to be next door to get it.

Also, he said that he has no idea when WMGT will be increasing their power from the current 1KW. Said it's a corporate decision.

Regards
Walt Irvine
Old 12-22-2003, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by frustated
For what it's worth, I just called the chief engineer at WMGT (NBC), and he said Fox will be transmitting at 250 watts (that's not KW). You'll have to be next door to get it.

Also, he said that he has no idea when WMGT will be increasing their power from the current 1KW. Said it's a corporate decision.

Regards
Walt Irvine

According to several places I've read, Fox will be broadcast at 1000 kW, the same as WMAZ-DT.

TvRadioWorld Link
Old 12-23-2003, 02:05 PM

A clarification: that's 250 watts ground. The Fox engineer doesn't know what his antenna gain will be. He doesn't have it yet. If it's about 12db, that should make radiated power around 4KW. As far as I know, WMAZ is around 7KW, with 14 KW max allowed. I think WMGT is around 3-4 KW. Their max is 48 KW. I haven't been able to get in touch with the WPGA engineer yet.
Regards
Walt
Old 02-19-2004, 10:15 PM

Cox cable should have HDTV available around June, according to the CS people. They have a sign up list already.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

It's been a while since I last visited this thread, but there hasn't been anything new to talk about since WPGA-DT started last summer.

Yes, the word is that HDTV will be on Cox this summer. WMAZ and WPGA have confirmed that Cox has started the ball rolling to carry their signals.

There has also been some early groundwork for Macon local channels going up on DBS this year.

Walt, I know for sure that WPGA-DT is currently doing 18 kilowatts ERP.

The TVRadioWorld information is outdated: it shows WMAZ-DT on channel 45 and WGNM-DT on channel 50. WMAZ got permission to move to channel 4 about four years ago, then WGNM got permission to take WMAZ's spot on 45 last January.

I've heard nothing about when WGXA-DT will go on the air, or when WMGT will increase power and ditch the world's worst 480i MPEG encoder.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

After the power company cut my cable line, I spoke with Cox and asked about HD. I was put on a list and will be notified when it is available. I spoke to the installer however, and he was pretty clueless. He said that they already have HDTV (he meant digital cable). That's better than the customer service person I talked with about a year ago who told me that HDTV was already on channel 52. She meant HGTV!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

There's almost as much cluelessness in the stores. I think Hi-Fi Buys is the only store that knows there are two OTA HDTV signals on in Macon and can actually demo them.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:24 PM

I talked with one of the head honchos there and they said that all they were waiting on was for the Premise equipment to arrive. They hope to have something up and running by the end of May or begining of June. Up until last week the customer service didn't have a clue. I had one tell me it we wouldn't have it till 2006