Comcast - S. Jersey - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2002, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I'm just writing in to say I received my HDTV service from Comcast yesterday. So far the only problems I've encountured were the video loss on Showtime and on NBC. I couldn't watch Jay Leno at all, the frickin signal was coming in and out every 10 sec or so. HBO is solid and ABC seems solid as well. I have a question though, how come movies broadcasted in 1080I look very similar to a progressive scan DVD image. I do notice it looks a little better, but not leaps and bounds. I watched a little Jay Leno witch looked very good, I havn't seen a sport broadcast yet. Do different things look better depending on what kind of film they use to shot the program??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 08:45 PM

You may not be seeing movies in true HD, or perhaps you aren't using the component inputs on your TV. If you're not awed, something is not right.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I am using component cables, the funny thing is the comcast rep brought standard AV cables and hooked it up, he said it's the same thing, I went and bought a pair of component's today. I am awed at the Tonight Show, and I do see a difference in movies on HBO, but my basic question was does anybody know if the quality of HDTV broadcast's differ from each other by using different film. Example, Jay Leno looks great, movies look good. I would go as far to say that Movies look better in 1080I then on my progressive scan DVD player, but they don't have the clarity as such shows as Leno. I've seen nature programs in HD on the show floor at Tweeter that look amazing, but when I see movies on the same TV's there they don't look as good?
Old 05-08-2002, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Based on what I've read around here, the reason Leno, nature shows, etc. look better is that they are shot on HD cameras which is a video source. When films appear on HBO they are transfered from film. If they do a good job, they look fantastic while other times, its so-so. A good transfer can be seen most recently in A Knights Tale, it looks amazing on HBO. Film and video sources for HDTV have different results sometimes.