Houston KPRC Program Guide Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night, my Dish 6000 program guide changed from Channel 2 to Channel 35.

Has the PSIP from KPRC malfunctioned?

Has anyone else in the Houston area had the same problem?

Every time this occurs, it screws up my favorites list and I have to reprogram the local channels and favorites list.

Houston HDTV Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 08:32 AM

Yep. I have the same problem, and also have the Dish 6000.

Interestingly, Channel 11 (KHOU-CBS) used to be the worst Houston station with this problem, randomly dropping the PSIP info. They seemed to have completely resolved this a few months ago.

Fred S
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2002, 08:03 PM

I am sorry that you guys are having problems, but am somewhat relieved to know that i am not alone. I just posted at the Spot to see if anybody else had this problem. Can you tell me what the PSIP is & why this causes so many strange problems? My 6000 will not lock in on 35-2 (HD). It keeps changing itself to 35-1 and adding digital channels 35-1 thru 35-65. When I go to the ADD DT screen on the 6000 and select 35 the channel number will begin to alternate between 2 and 35. This all started when they added the third digital, (full time radar). Thanks for the help
post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

While there are many more experts on the subject here than am I, the PSIP is the embedded signal that tells your set top box or digital tv what the master channel number is....that is to say that you are watching channel 2 instead of channel 35.

I don't have any problems locking in on 35-2, although it is a real pain in the *** to have to reset the local channels, deleting the 65 subchannels, and reconfiguring my favorites list everytime the PSIP blips.

I don't believe that this problem has much to do with the radar subchannel. That subchannel has been operating for quite some time now.

Dennis

Houston HDTV Fan
post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 02:07 PM

We did make a change to the encoder settings last week, and it seems to have caused trouble with the PSIP on the system you are describing, as well as with audio on the Samsung receivers. I think I have corrected the Samsung Audio problem, but the PSIP problem I am still not sure how to address. Rather than go in now and make changes and wait for feedback, I would like to wait until the end of next week, after all the season finales are over, and then make the wholesale changes we are looking at.

One of the things we plan to address, it the drop of the SD channel, and switching on an off of the radar channel, to devote all our bandwidth to the HD channel when there is HD programming.

Thanks for your patience

EZ
post #6 of 13 Old 05-15-2002, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

kprcdt, thanks for the update. Using a Dish 6000 STB, I have not had any audio problems as you have described with the Samsung units. I can say that I, and I assume most 6000 users, set up channel 35-2 which upon signal lock reads on the program guide as channel 2. When the PSIP (at least this is what I have assumed is the problem) occurs, the station goes black and upon pulling up the program guide channel 2 no longer is listed.

Back to local channel setup and reconfigure as channel 35. The channel 35 listing on the program guide is stable and as of yet, doesn't dropout to black so the problem is not killing me.

But again, thanks for the update and I hope that the problem description helps.

Dennis

Houston HDTV Fan
post #7 of 13 Old 05-16-2002, 08:24 AM

I just got a voicemail from a viewer that says that the program guide is coming and going... is this really the case? If it is so, I will work on it right now! If it simply changed once, I will wait until next week to address it so you don't have to re-scan. Please e-mail me at dtv@kprc.com and let ma know...

thanks,

EZ
post #8 of 13 Old 05-16-2002, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

kprcdt, thanks for the info. Any thoughts on providing cc on the HD feed (35-2)? It is working on 35-1, which I probably use mostly anyway, except for "Crossing Jordan" for Hi-Def. Thanks again,
Sid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-17-2002, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I received a telephone call from kprcdt yesterday after e-mailing him more specifics on this issue.

He advised that he would change the PSIP to the backup and that this problem should be eliminated.

I did not experience any blips from the channel 35-2 last evening.

Thanks for the help and conversation kprcdt. It is appreciated.

Houston HDTV Fan
post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2002, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by labmansid
Any thoughts on providing cc on the HD feed (35-2)? It is working on 35-1, which I probably use mostly anyway, except for "Crossing Jordan" for Hi-Def.
Sid,
I am not sure what the question is... We are providing captioning on the DTV stream, and at this time, I am not sure whether I can configure my encoder to have two different streams of captioning. Last time I tried it, the DTC-100 showed the SD captioning on all three channels. I think the only way to do HD CC is to have an HD receiver capaple of handling it. In the NTSC feed it is part of the video, so most HD receivers can re-insert the captioning onto the NTSC video for display, but if you trully use the HD video feed, I think your decoder needs to superimpose the captioning, as the captioning is not on the video (as far as I know) and therefore the HD monitors have no provision for displaying it.

We will be droping the SD feed in the summer, so the HD channel will take the full bandwidth during HD shows, and it will have captioning that meets the ATSC standard...

EZ
post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2002, 06:53 AM

Dropping the SD feed? Isn't this the suchannel 1 signal that you said is used as the source for some cable providers? I don't mind, just curious.

Incidentally, I left you a voice mail a while back, and may have said the PSIP is "coming and going." Later it appeared I was mistaken - it was just plain gone. Sorry for the confusion. If I call again, I'll leave a call back phone number. (In the past, I've called Channels 11, 13, and 8 and never got a call back, thinking no one paid any attention - that's why I didn't bother).

Fred S
post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 01:56 PM

Yep...35.1 will turn into good ol' HD only... we will continue to do multicast during non HD hours, but when HD is made available by NBC, we are committed to passing it through with the whole bandwidth.

I am going to be dealing with the cable companies this summer trying to get them a good feed that does not compromise our ability to carry HD. As the rumor is right now that NBC will have prime time programming...

The solution for the cable companies will probably be some newer equipment that allows downconverting of HD and insertion of captioning, at the same time as retention of the SAP channel. This new gear is due out by the end of the year, but with the summer approaching and a drop of viewership, this is the best time to get the cable companies to prepare for the fall...

EZ

PS if you call here, and it makes it to my voice-mail, there is a 80 to 90% chance that you'll get a call back... the other 10-20 requires a second call.... sometimes I get swamped and purge the older calls...
post #13 of 13 Old 05-24-2002, 12:37 PM

"I would like to wait until the end of next week, after all the season finales are over, and then make the wholesale changes we are looking at. "

It's now nearly the end of "next week." When do you think you're going to make the change? If I know (and I'm home/awake), I can give you some immediate feedback about how it's working through a DISH 6000 receiver.

Fred S
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page