Philly WPVI 6 ABC - Broadcasting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2002, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not getting any signal at all OTA from WPVI 6 in Philadelphia tonight (Sunday). Is anyone else getting anything?

Thanks!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-12-2002, 07:30 PM

No signal here, either. And I was hoping to see the 'Alias' finale.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-12-2002, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by brendan55
No signal here, either. And I was hoping to see the 'Alias' finale.
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. It's been a long day and I'd hate to have to debug my HD system.

Hopefully, we'll find some explaination and get WPVI back on the air.

Thanks for the reply.

Rob
post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Last fall when ABC first started sending HDTV to the affiliates, there were all sorts of problems. I wrote to WPVI, and they blamed ABC for the problems. Now, toward the end of the season, I'm still seeing the same sorts of problems.

Continual "late flipping of the switch" is one big problem that happens frequently.

Also, those damn green flickering horizontal lines are STILL there.

Not to mention, breakups, pixellation and freezes that happen all too often. This is NOT caused by my installation, it is clearly happening at the source or at WPVI.

Unfortunately, I find myself switching back to standard cable for many ABC shows. While I think ABC's effort to get into HDTV is admirable, and clearly puts them ahead of what NBC and Fox are still doing (Fox? or yeah, Fox "widescreen" -- what a joke!!) But it seems that the effort is half-hearted on the technical side, and I don't know for sure if it's really ABC or WPVI where the problem lies.

I hope they get their act together before the start of next season.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Since I've only been able to receive HD in since the middle of the season, I haven't had any experience with the "early days". I have noticed that there have been a lot of freeze frames and pixellation lately. I, too, hope this changes for the next season.

Has anyone noticed that the sound level between the show and its commercials is screwed up? I've only noticed it on WPVI. It's so bad that we have to turn the volume up very high to hear anything and quickly mute it when the commercials come on.

Anyone know if PVI is up again? I haven't had the chance to check. Not that I'm going to watch until the Practice season finally on Sunday.

Rob
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

I've noticed the sound issue as well. As opposed to CBS, my impression is that it's because ABC broadcasts in 5.1, whereas CBS only broadcasts in stereo. The shows are in 5.1, which typically spreads the sound out more. When they pump a 2-channel commercial into the 5.1 stream, it sounds much louder. But since CBS broadcasts everything in stereo, it sounds nearly level.

At least that's my theory, and why I only hear the problem with ABC. It's a real pain, to be sure, especially when watching late in the evening when the younger kids are in bed.

One way to help this is if your receiver has a compression system built in. That will tend to level the sound output. Of course, you want to be sure you turn off the compression when you're watching your favorite movie in 5.1 or it won't sound right.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 04:59 PM

Last night (Sunday) I received no signal also on ABC-HD, and that is through Comcast cable.

Today it seems to be working again.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page