Why don't I get KRMA 18.1 in Denver anymore - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2002, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used to get 18.1 in just fine, then some time ago it disappeared. It was very strong signal. I now get a national PBS feed on 80.3. My STB is a Sony HD-100 if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2002, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think PBS still sends a compliant encoded ATSC (19.3 MB) signal via satellite to digital member stations so they can "pass through" on their DTV channel without decoding/re-encoding.

To prevent mistaken identity they assign a PSIP number higher than that of any other DTV station (i.e., 70 or greater).

The same digital transmitter/channel could be used. These numbers are imbedded in the digital stream along with the audio, video, and other anciliary data.

It's probably that 80.3 is from the PSIP on a PBS nationwide feed and 18.1 is the PSIP inserted during local originations.

My DCT-100 STB allows me to turn off PSIP and then I tune to the DTV channel number. With PSIP enabled, it displays whatever channel numbers are programmed into the digital stream.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2002, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, George. I don't see any PSIP options for my HD100. Am I the only one in Denver that can't get 18.1? Does everyone else also get 80.3? Is there a technical problem with my Sony STB?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2002, 06:59 AM
DP1
AVS Special Member

Well I'm not sure what you're saying Serotta. On some receivers during the daytime the channel shows up as 18.1 when theres local programming on, and then they remap to 80.3 nights and weekends when they pass the National PBS digital feed through. Other receivers show all the programming but do it more seamlessly where it never changes channel number.

Are you saying you're not getting any programming at all during the weekdays and then suddenly it comes on at night when KRMA switches over to the other feed, or are you just curious about the change in channel numbers?

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2002, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think the time of day matters. I only get a national feed on 80.3 and it is available all the time. Even now at 8:05am on Wednesday, I get 80.3 fine but nothing on 18.1. My receiver did not do this when it was new. I think this started about 5 or 6 months ago.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2002, 07:52 AM
DP1
AVS Special Member

Well I dont know at what time of the morning they switch back to the local stuff..it's around 8 I guess. But as of 8:50 I just tuned to the channel on my Dish 6000 on 80.3 which it where it was last night, and once I tuned to 80.3 the receiver remapped it to 18.1 because the local feed is now playing a balloon festival or something like that.. one of the Spirit of Colorado shows that they show all day.

Are you getting that program? Or any programming at all right now, because if you are it doesnt matter what the receiver is showing as far as a channel number goes. It has to be the local stuff because thats what they're passing through right now.

Or lets try a different angle here. What type programming are you expecting to see on 18.1? Just perhaps a digital version of whatver is showing on channel 6 at the time? Thats not what you'll see. The only thing they're showing during the day these days is again the Spirit of Colorado shows. Now for awhile, a number of months ago they were showing the channel 6 feed digitally (like the kids programming or whatever) but they're not doing that anymore. Maybe that answers the "dilemma" here.

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page