DC last night -- weird signal problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2002, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,
I know there were storms last night, but I had some weird signal issues with all the DC locals.

ABC, CBS, and NBC were the worst and Fox wasn't much better. The signal strength jumped from 80 to 70 and sometimes temporarily plummeted to 45 or 20 and dropped out. It seemed cyclic, although sometimes it wouldn't for 15 minues, and sometimes, it would come in and out several times a minute.

Did anyone else have this problem? I watched Alias on WJLA digital (can't get WMAR anymore :( ) on Sunday and had zero problems.

If it's just me, any idea what might be wrong?

thanks,
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2002, 05:32 AM

I was having the same sort of problems here in DC. My normally rock solid WJLA signal was wildly erratic, and WTTG was even worse. I hadn't imagined that wind could so seriously affect tv signals, but I think that was the problem. The signal issues started about the time it picked up with gusts of close to 50 mph.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2002, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the wind was whipping that antenna around pretty good. Mine's in the attic, so I guess the problem must have been at the source.

Worst part was, the trees in my backyard can get easily blown into the path of the 119 satellite, so HD-HBO was dropping out last night too. Oh well, guess I should have read a book. :)

Now if 24 and NYPD Blue aren't available tonight, then I'll get mad. :)

Anthony
post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2002, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was having similar problems out in Laurel with DC DTV stations last night. WUSA-DT was dropping out so badly it was unviewable and WJLA-DT disappeared totally. Oddly, the Baltimore stations seemed even stronger than normal with the exception of WUTB-DT which was a little less stable. I think it was the wind because all these problems only seemed applicable to the roof antenna which I normally use for DC. The indoor antenna seemed as stable as usual and got Baltimore with no problems.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-15-2002, 07:07 AM

Hi All,

I had the same type of problems both last night and the night before. I have noticed rain-induced dropouts before, but there was not much rain last night, just wind. I use a fairly directional antenna and am in an area of vast multi-path, so I think it may be due to wind blowing the antenna around a bit. Affected all stations.

Have a Great HDTV Day,

Fred
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2002, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, same for me last night too, although not as bad. I did lose my trash can lid, though. :(

I'm going to try a Rat Shack amplifier and possibly moving the antenna to see if I can get my signals into the 90's. Right now they top out at 85, and I am hoping that if I get them into the mid-90's, the problems may be less prevalant. Heck, I may even end up getting the Baltimore stations too!

My antenna is attic mounted, so I'm wondering if the wind whipping the main antennas around had any affect. Or maybe my attic gets a little gust now and then, I dunno.

thanks for the inputs,
Anthony
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2002, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm curious... Does WUSA-DT cut their power? It seems that sometimes they are rock solid, then at other times barely viewable. It once seemed to me that low signal was particularly noticed during the daytime and that at night they were better. I thought maybe they were reducing the power in the day to save electricity and boosting it at night when there's HD content on CBS. But now, I'm not so sure...

The other stations seem a lot more consistent in terms of power.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2002, 08:38 AM

I do not know the answer to the cut-in-power question, but I have noticed that, in the last week or so, WUSA has become less stable for me. They used to be rock solid, but now I have dropouts every 4-5 minutes during the evening transmissions. WTTG and WRC do not seem to give me the same problems, though they don't give me the HDTV that WUSA does either!

Have a Great HDTV Day,

Fred
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page