Cablevision in NJ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2002, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am moving into the Morris County NJ area, and am thinking about buying a HDTV. Does anyone have any information as to when Cablevision will be offering HDTV in NJ. Are MSG, Fox Sports, or HBO being broadcast in HDTV? Or is that only in Long Island? Also, does anyone know if Cablevision is planning to scramble the signal, I am looking at the Mits ws-55859 with the internal decoder, and want to know if the decoder will not be nesecary when Cablevision starts their official HDTV broadcasts. Is there any word yet on what channels Cablevision is planning to carry in HDTV in the near future?

Thanks for any help, Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

The first thing I can tell you is Cablevision does know how to do HD :).

The second thing is total silence... All of us are clueless as to when this will change.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

It's odd - Cablevision owns The Wiz and advertises and sells HD sets there. They also sell Cablevision subscriptions. However, they will tell you that there is no HD on the Morristown system and they don't know when or if there will be.

I'm not that interested anyway. I can take the occasional dropouts from bad weather. I already get Showtime and HBO from DirecTV, and CBS, PBS, and Fox via antenna. If I got the locals through cable, I'd lose the ability to time shift them on my HiPix.

Rick
Old 05-18-2002, 09:37 AM

Rick,
Is the PBS station you're referring to the one from Trenton?
Ben

Ben
Old 05-18-2002, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Ben - Yes, I get channel 43 from Trenton. Even though it's further away than NYC, the signal is stronger than CBS.

Rick
Old 05-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in East Brunswick NJ, and want to get both the NYC stations and the Philly stations. What kind of antenna are you guys in NJ using? I'd be happy to just get all Philly stations (CBS, NBC, WHYY, etc.). Would a really big UHF only antenna with a preamp do the trick. Please help if you can. I'm interested in what the area is using for reception.
Thanks,
Ralph:cool:
Old 05-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Ralph - This is getting a bit off the subject of Cablevision, but I have a Channel Master 4248 fringe UHF-only antenna with a blonder-tongue MATV amp inside the house. I'll be upgrading it in a week or so with an outside CM preamp.

I can receive the NY stations (although CBS is more prone to fade in bad weather, probably because of its higher frequency). I get channel 43 PBS from Trenton stronger than the NY channels, even though it's about 25 miles further.

The only station I can pick up regularly from Philadelphia is CBS 26. ABC 64 is there very rarely, and I've never picked up NBC 57. I don't know if WB 54 and UPN 32 are transmitting yet, but in any event, I've never seen them.

I have a Channel Master rotator with remote control. After you point the antenna to the correct location, you can enter the channel number with the remote. After you've done that, you just enter the channel number the next time and the rotator points to it. Very easy to use.

Will - Send me a message when you reach Morris and I'll be glad to talk with you or show you what you can get here with outside antenna and DTV.

Rick