Just ordered Comcast HDTV in Southern NJ - Any advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-16-2002, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered Comcast HD service yesterday. I didn't even know it was offered in my area (near Atlantic City) until I went to their web site.

But, after ordering it, I went on this forum, and found members are having problems with 2 out of the 4 channels being offered in my area.

Is this problem with NBC & Showtime happening to all subscribers in my area? Is there anything I can tell the tech to do when he does the install?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-16-2002, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
have had hd service in egg harbor since November. HBO and Showtime are rock solid, dropouts maybe a couple times a day. ABC is the next best performer, with maybe a dropout every couple a hours. Not too bad. Then there is NBC, on bad days, dropouts every five to ten minutes.

Personally, I don't think the problem lies with comcast. People receiving OTA NBC and ABC out of Philly are experiencing most of the same problems. NBC (WCAU) is the most annoying, not only do they broadcast a poor signal, but they often forget to "flip the switch" to the HD broadcast. Leno is running at about 60% of the time in HD, when it should be every night. Not to mention their digital audio sounds quite garbled sometimes, almost like a bad mp3.

I think Comcast is providing a great service, HBO and Showtime are perfect 99% of the time. Now if only the local affiliates would do as well. I think it might be better in the future when Comcast gets a fiber connection straight from the affiliate. Also with the future offerings of philly, washington and baltimore sports in HD on the Comcast HD Sports Net, I don't think you will regret your purchase. It would be nice however if they picked up CBS, HDNET, DISCOVERY, PBS HD and FOX digital.

The only thing you might ask the tech is to maybe bump you up a little bit on the signal strength from the pole, especially if you're going to be splitting the line to several tv's.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page