Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-16-2002, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hi All,

Just got my HDTV box (3100HD) from Time Warner cable. I'm able to view 3 HDTV channels in their full glory, but I was hoping I could also view certain programs being broadcast in HDTV on stations such as CBS.

Is there a trick to getting them to display or is it possible that my area/box isn't capable at this time?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2002, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If CBS isn't on the HDTV channel menu, a customer service representative, if you get one that knows what you're talking about, should be able to read off the H/DTV channels they offer. A slight chance they just need to activate that channel on your 3100HD.

Could be there's no CBS H/DTV station available they can pick up and relay via cable, or that they haven't reached an agreement with the station, or other reasons. If there is a H/DTV station you could receive with a suitable antenna, and your cable company absolutely confirms they won't be carrying it, you could buy/use an OTA set-top box to pick it up. Vintage RCA DTC-100s are discounted now. Numerous threads here provide web sites listing FCC-approved H/DTV stations, or pinpoint all local H/DTV stations, with antenna suggestions, with a zipcode entry. Finally, CBS is unique for HDTV because you can also receive it via satellite if it's not available locally OTA. Threads here also detail procedures for getting CBS via DBS. -- John
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2002, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had one of these "jewels" brought out from TWC also. The audio is horrible on the non-digital channels, in fact the picture is worse than the tuner for the lower channels. You cannot get any HDTV except hbo/sho hd channels with this box, period- at least that is what was explained to me. I have a OTA STB that blows the picture of the TWC HD completely away, I would highly recommend the samsung sir-t150 due to its multiple outputs and ability to output 16x9 to its composite/s-video outs for recording.

The hd box from TWC has been more than a disappointment, the picture is just dark, low detail and sound is either horrible with background hum or the digital audio drops during the movies. Maybe I just have a bad box, dunno, a rep is coming monday to check it, the humming in the audio is wierd, like now watching DIY it comes and goes, tried running the audio to another set of amplified speakers to check it and same thing.

Also as a HD STB it lacks the appropriate monitor selection controls for formatting the screen-unlike the samsung which is quite nice with many features making it easy to configure to your tv.

If cant get a better picture with another box I may just drop the whole thing and stay with the basic expanded, the digital channels just are not worth watching-

Good Luck to yas!

Mr. Crowley
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2002, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You cannot get any HDTV except hbo/sho hd channels with this box, period- at least that is what was explained to me.
Well I'm sorry but this is totally FALSE information. I have a 3100HD as well I can watch my local CBS and ABC HDTV feed just fine. If you are unable to watch your local channels in HDTV it's because your local TW affiliate doesn't pass the signal through. But it has absolutly nothing to do with the box itself. Local HDTV broadcasts are assigned higher channel numbers so you may want to check for channels in the 900 area. My local CBS is 912 and my local ABC is channel 909.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2002, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mr Crowley does not indicate which TWC is the one he uses but what I have heard here and experienced with my TWC is that there are differences in the implementation between different TW systems. Servers may run different brands/versions of software and the boxes themselves may have slight differences in their OS as well. Some systems just seem to do better a better job than others. Some boxes also seem to have problems. Hopefully in time it will all even out. Using Time Warner Cable of SC, my SA2000HD here works just fine with HBO, SHO and PBS. Looking forward to the day when we get CBS.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2002, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thanks guys for all the great information.

I have noticed that the colors are darker when using the component cables versus SVideo for non-HDTV broadcast. It appears that my local cable company isn't capable of broadcasting the other channels yet. I have their full line up and tried pushing some other numbers not listed with no luck.

One thing I've found is that everytime you talk to someone at TWC you get a different answers to the same question. It's too bad their employees aren't educated more.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2002, 07:52 PM

"Well I'm sorry but this is totally FALSE information. I have a 3100HD as well I can watch my local CBS and ABC HDTV feed just fine."

Sorry I should have specified here in Akron, Ohio, I thought cincinnati would be same. No 900 channels here, but I sure am glad you said that, it gives us something to look forward to here in TWC NEO !

Mr. Crowley
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 02:26 PM

Sorry to say that CBS58 is not yet carried in hidef by TW in Milwaukee, so probably not in Kenosha either. They are still in negotiations.

Currently only PBS10, HBO HD and Showtime HD is carried. They are currently in negotiations to carry Discovery HD Theater, NBC, and CBS. It is possible that discovery may be available sometime around the summer (I was informed that they will be carrying the channel but could not commit to a date). When NBC and CBS is carried, who knows? Perhaps by the end of the year.

Unfortunately, here in Milwaukee ABC and and FOX do not even know what they are doing. You'll be luck to see these stations go digital by 2006, if the FCC does not strip them of their license first :(

Kerry
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page