Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6837 Old 06-13-2003, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As long as they do the prime time stuff in HD I'm happy, but they should be able to have it all HD by now.

I was asking for a part # because I read that some people found a few that weren't sold yet after them being discontinued in their RS for $2/each.

O-well, I ended up getting a Channel Master 3010 Stealthtenna and it works VERY well. Non-amplified and I get 100 signal. With the Terk 43 I got 30s, and about a 4 with it next to my TV. With the stealthtenna I got 100's next to my TV and up on the roof.

I also tried this ChannelMaster 3020: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...000000693-3020 next tot he TV and I only got around 30 signals. If I touched it the signal went up to 100. Because of its size and that fact that it didn't work that well I brought it back. Analog locals were also bad.

But I'm happy with the 3010 stealthtenna, it even picks up every analog local almost perfectly. It can be found here: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...000000693-3010)

Go Broncos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6837 Old 06-15-2003, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't the CBS feed of CSI in HD supposed to be one of the best looking HD programs around?

Based on what I've seen I haven't really been impressed by it. It seems like even the HBOHD movies on D* look better. HDNet really looks better. Is there something they're doing wrong, or did I misread about that being one of the best looking shows?

Go Broncos!
post #273 of 6837 Old 06-15-2003, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wouldn't compare most of the shows on HDNet with anything on the CBS feed, since most of HDNet's programming is shot natively in HD, whereas CBS shoots their shows in film and converts them to HD.

The Charlie Lawrence show looked good tonight in HD. Also, "Follow the Stars Home," which is being shown in HD right now, looks several times better than that horrid SW:AOTC presentation on HBO-HD via DirecTV last night.

Thank God KKTV is at least remembering to record the HD feeds for prime-time.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #274 of 6837 Old 06-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

That stealthtenna looks like quite a contraption. Is that what I'm going to need to get HD OTA? Maybe someone else makes a bowtie that would work...
post #275 of 6837 Old 06-16-2003, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Tebo
That stealthtenna looks like quite a contraption. Is that what I'm going to need to get HD OTA? Maybe someone else makes a bowtie that would work...

I actually noticed the Charlie Lawrence show did look really good.

Go Broncos!
post #276 of 6837 Old 06-16-2003, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeremy, I just saw that a never-opened Radio Shack bowtie antenna sold for $10 on eBay about a week ago, that's a lot cheaper that what I paid for it in the store. I really suggest just getting one off eBay.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #277 of 6837 Old 06-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still considering switching to satellite though, I just can't make up my mind. I still don't know if I'd keep my cable modem, or maybe try DSL.

Does anyone know if you need to have a home phone line to get DSL? I would imagine you do, but I just use my cell phone as my home phone right now.

I don't think its worth it to buy an OTA tuner for one channel now. I guess since DirecTV has more HD channels coming July, I might switch then, and get a box that does sat and OTA. I really want to get at least something in HD, but CBS is probably the worst network IMO. $500-$700 is a lot to drop on a satellite box too. Maybe they'll have a nice special eventually.

From what I've heard, DirecTV is a better choice coming July 1 if you want HD.
post #278 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

It is, as long as they don't compress it too much.

Go Broncos!
post #279 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Speaking of only one channel in our area, has anyone been able to pick up any test signals from KXRM (FOX)?

Hail to the King, baby!
post #280 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Vaggeto, I've heard of that too. Do you know if there is a big difference in quality between the sat providers in HD? I guess that would be a reason to go with Dish instead.
post #281 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drvais
Speaking of only one channel in our area, has anyone been able to pick up any test signals from KXRM (FOX)?

I've been trying occasionally on all our locals since I got my stealtenna up, but I don't get any signal on any of them.

Go Broncos!
post #282 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Tebo
Vaggeto, I've heard of that too. Do you know if there is a big difference in quality between the sat providers in HD? I guess that would be a reason to go with Dish instead.

Right now Dish is a bit better quality wise, but I only think it's because D* is testing their signals trying to get better solutions.

Go Broncos!
post #283 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Fox will not be broadcasting an HD signal. If they EVER start broadcasting a DTV signal, the best resolution will be 480i.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #284 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Frank Zimkas
Fox will not be broadcasting an HD signal. If they EVER start broadcasting a DTV signal, the best resolution will be 480i.

Frank, where did you get your information from?

Here is the latest from Fox: (thanks to drvais)

KXRM (FOX) / KXTU (UPN)
Remarks:
According to Roger at KXRM engineering, nearly all of their equipment is in place to begin broadcasting. Their antenna setup should have been completed by the end of today. He said that a transmitter technician was coming in very soon and that we might actually see test signals by next week!
He said they also have their antenna on CPC's property, however, they have a "newer" contract with CPC than KRDO or KKTV does and that they should not have any legal problems doing what they're doing.
While the chief of engineering, Mike Dunlap, was unavailable for comment, Roger hinted that he'd heard that KXRM will upconvert the 480p feed coming from the network to 1080i for local broadcast.
Unfortunately, Roger did not know for sure if KXTU would be going digital right away as well, but I'll try to gather that information as soon as I can talk to Mr. Dunlap.
Roger said keep on eye on their website (www.kxrm.com) for an official announcement of their DT status. He said that KXRM will heavily promote it when they're ready to go.
Expected Live Date: By the end of next month

Go Broncos!
post #285 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, should have said 480p. Take a look at page 65 of the June, 2003 issue of Sound and Vision magazine. The article quotes a Fox spokesman as saying HDTV "is nothing more than a marketing term."Fox has been saying for a long time that they would be broadcasting in "High Resolution," which is a far cry from a 1080i. I can't imagine a small market Fox station would be able to afford to make the jump to 1080i on their own, since the network itself is only going to be feeding them a 480p signal. I hope that they do infact broadcast a 1080i signal, but at this point I am skeptical.

post #286 of 6837 Old 06-17-2003, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought you meant they would basically be doing nothing but their SDTV locally when you said 480i.

They might be sending out a 1080i signal, but it will only be an upconvert from 480p. Many Fox stations currently broadcast an upconverted 1080i signal.

Go Broncos!
post #287 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1080i is great and all, but Joe Kane's articles in Widescreen Review are making me think they should upconvert to 720p instead. Then again, my display won't natively display 720p.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #288 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Same here. So I figure Fox upconverting to 1080i, is better then my E86 upconverting to 1080i.

Go Broncos!
post #289 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 02:45 PM

Happy happy days!

I havn't been paying attention to this thread in a while. Yesterday when I read that KTTV might be finally broadcasting regularly, I went out and bought the Terk TV55 antenna that Frank had recommended.

Installed it in my basement utility room of all places (right next to my home theater) and it actually worked!! The fact I'm about 1/2 mile from Norad probably doesn't hurt. I was worried that the half-buried basement might block the signal and that all of the wiring in the utility room would interfere, and that the close proximity of the ground would cause all sorts of secondary reflections.

But, even with all of that my receiver is able to lock onto channel 11-1. I'm using a Panny HDS20 receiver. I know how to get a signal strength for the D* satellite...anyone know if there is a way to get a signal strength for the OTA signals? Might help me optimize the antenna placement for the future.

For now, I'm a happy camper...one more HDTV signal is always a good thing! Don't watch much CBS (yet) but am now looking foward to the upcoming NFL season!

Thanks to everyone in this forum for their comments and advice!
post #290 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

On the CBS football note... Are Broncos going to mainly be on KKTV this year like last year? (Except for a few of those Fox games)

Will any of them be in HD? I notice the HD cameras tend to be at Invesco field a lot now because of all the HDNet soccer games there.

Go Broncos!
post #291 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 03:27 PM

OK, now I see what people were talking about with the "stretched 4:3" stuff. This is *really* annoying. With my Panny HDS20 and my PLV-60 projector, there seems to be no way to remotely "squeeze" the picture. I have to walk over and manually press the Output format button on the HDS20 and select 420i or 420p instead of Native.

What's the status on the complaints about this. Is it still worth calling the engineer or emailing somebody? There is absolutely no reason for them to be doing this. They need to be taught how to broadcast HDTV properly before they get a bigger audience.

On the Football question, Yes, CBS handles the part of the NFL that the Broncos are part of. Was called the AFC, but I don't know all of the new terms since the reorg. Games might be carried by Fox if the Broncos are playing an "NFC" team that week. But CBS should get most of them. However, I don't know if CBS is broadcasting all of their games in HD, or just the national market games. Sometimes we get the local market Bronco game but that isn't what the majority of the country is watching. I'm hoping that with the recent commitement of the NFL to HD that more and more games will be in HD.

Of course, I also sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket on D* so that I can watch my 49ers team From what I understand, there will be more HD broadcasts of NFL for Sunday Ticket subscribers this year, but we'll have to wait to see on the details. Between that and the Sunday night games on ESPN-HD, I'm all set for a fun season. Now if we can just get KRDO to get up and running in time for the MNF games!
post #292 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, please call them and complain.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #293 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm really used to watching 4:3 content in 16:9 format. I maybe watch one half hour a week of content in 4:3 mode. I'd rather them stretch all their content then have bars, which would make me not watch it because of the burn-in.

Go Broncos!
post #294 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 03:43 PM

This is really wierd. 5 min ago, just after my post, the Oprah show switched into normal non-stretched HD. They must still be playing with the feed.

I tend to forget about burn-in issues because I have an LCD projector rather than a CRT. You can only get burn-in on a direct-view or other CRT device these days. Don't know my the PLV-60 can't just squeeze the picture itself. I've always known that having the output format selection on the front panel was a bad design of the HDS20, but since other boxes even have this switch in the rear panel of the receiver, I guess I'm still luckier than most.

I can see that aspect ratio is going to be a pain with HD in general. But I'm sorry to disagree with you Vaggeto that I want my aspect to be correct regardless of whether it creates bars. I just don't like watching stuff that is short and stretched like that.
post #295 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

MikeP,
Glad that your happy with the Terk antenna. How's your reception on the "old" stations?

post #296 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that Terk antenna worked? I'm kinda suprised based on what I've read about ANY terk antenna, and my experience with a Terk 42, which got less of a signal on my roof then the RG6 cable without it! The signal got Lower as I plugged the antenna in it.

Go Broncos!
post #297 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 04:38 PM

The Terk TV55 is *very* different from other Terk antennas. It's a special design for indoor/outdoor use and doesn't look like a "normal" antenna. You certainly can't compare the TV55 with the TV42 since they are totally different designs. The TV55 also has a builtin preamp, but I'm not even powering that since I don't have handy power (yes, seems silly for the utility room). I'll mess with that if needed in the future.

Frank, the reception of the analog stations is fairly poor as you might expect. Lots of ghosting. Obviously an outdoor location would be better, but to have line-of-site to Cheyenne Mtn, the antenna would have to be in the front part of my house, and I don't want it visible if I can help it. Since it seems to work fine for now with KTTV I'll just have to wait for more digital stations to test.

But it's a great showcase for why digital is much better than analog. With digital, you either get nothing, or a perfect picture. None of this fuzzy, ghosting junk that you get with analog.
post #298 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I'm gonna look it up again. I might be confusing it with the $100 terk 50 which is terrible from what I've read.

Go Broncos!
post #299 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I checked and I was thinking of the right antenna. Many people have terrible reception with this antenna.

What signal strength are you getting with KKTV?

Go Broncos!
post #300 of 6837 Old 06-18-2003, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it's very difficult to get burn-in on my direct view.

Hail to the King, baby!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page