Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if I would say half your time with those black bars. People who spend less then half their time on Fox news, CNN, etc, have burn-in. I say more then 20% of the same image is the max.

Go Broncos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the manufacturers such as for my Mitsubishi RPTV generally say over 15% of your viewing time is a risk for burn-in.
post #363 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
Yeah, the manufacturers such as for my Mitsubishi RPTV generally say over 15% of your viewing time is a risk for burn-in.

Or get a DLP RPTV. No burn in!

Chance
post #364 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by chanceG
Or get a DLP RPTV. No burn in!

True, but you don't get a 65" DLP with HD tuner for $3500, now do ya?
post #365 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The only DLP RPTV I've seen is at BestBuy and I really like it!

If I ever go RPTV again it will most likely be one of those.

Go Broncos!
post #366 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
True, but you don't get a 65" DLP with HD tuner for $3500, now do ya?

Alas, no. However, I've got the Samsung 56" on order for $4400. It can be had for $3900 by mailorder. Of course, no HD tuner though.

Chance
post #367 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just checkin' from the Denver OTA HD thread.
Do you guys/gals have a website with the stations status? If not, could you post a quick status of the stations down there - Thanks!
post #368 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Below is the status of all our stations:

Quote:

Originally posted by drvais

(edit) ****
KKTV (CBS)

KRDO (ABC)
Remarks:
The Cheyenne Propagation Company (CPC), the same folks giving KKTV legal headaches, is also asking KRDO for extra $$$ if they set up a digital antenna on their property. Apparently, CPC wants to charge for every new digital signal sent out by a station on its property.
Currently, KRDO could actually get away with setting up a digital antenna as their current contract with CPC, which allows new antennas to be built, is still good for a few more years. However, they are worried about being hit up later with insane cost increases by CPC during their contract renewal.
From what I gather, KRDO is waiting to see what comes of CPC's lawsuits against KKTV before they take any further action. If the lawsuits against KKTV get dismissed, which I hear they will be, then perhaps KRDO can feel ready to move forward without any legal hassles.
Expected Live Date: Unknown

KXRM (FOX) / KXTU (UPN)
Status: (edit) Broadcasting from 12PM-12AM not upconverted. (by the looks of it)
Remarks:
According to Roger at KXRM engineering, nearly all of their equipment is in place to begin broadcasting. Their antenna setup should have been completed by the end of today. He said that a transmitter technician was coming in very soon and that we might actually see test signals by next week!
He said they also have their antenna on CPC's property, however, they have a "newer" contract with CPC than KRDO or KKTV does and that they should not have any legal problems doing what they're doing.
While the chief of engineering, Mike Dunlap, was unavailable for comment, Roger hinted that he'd heard that KXRM will upconvert the 480p feed coming from the network to 1080i for local broadcast.
Unfortunately, Roger did not know for sure if KXTU would be going digital right away as well, but I'll try to gather that information as soon as I can talk to Mr. Dunlap.
Roger said keep on eye on their website (www.kxrm.com) for an official announcement of their DT status. He said that KXRM will heavily promote it when they're ready to go.
Expected Live Date: By the end of next month

KOAA (NBC)
Remarks:
I spoke to Quentin at KOAA engineering, and he said that they're still awaiting a construction permit from the FCC. He said that earlier this year, the FCC actually gave them a permit, then revoked it a week later when it was discovered that KOAA's digital signal would interfere with another DT station in Denver (folks in the Denver thread probably know more about what I'm talking about). However, KOAA does have some equipment in place already, and their microwave link to the transmitter is digital-ready.
Expected Live Date: 6 months to 1 year out

KTSC (PBS)
Remarks:
Spoke to the very friendly Ian Hartley at KTSC engineering, and he said that KTSC is still waiting for their equipment to show up. He estimated that their equipment should all arrive by September, and that he'll get it up and going ASAP after that. He did stress, though, that there will be many bugs to work out and that we may not see true HD right away, but we should at least have a digital signal from them.
Expected Live Date: 01 Oct 03

There you go! Sorry for the delay in getting this info. I figured after all that wasted space about DSL and cable, I'd get us back on track with some worthwhile info.

Go Broncos!
post #369 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

I posted a short summary on the Denver thread.

Roy
post #370 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

We currently don't have a website, but soon I'll start working on getting one up.

Go Broncos!
post #371 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I live north of Castle Rock and I am receiving the signal from Ch. 11 in Colorado Springs on Ch. 24-1. The guide says it is KMAS-DT but the news show was Ch. 11. I have a CM 3021 roof mounted antenna pointed towards Denver. Now I know what "full power" broadcasting can mean instead of the wimpy signals we have to live with in the Denver area.
post #372 of 6837 Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

You may be recieving Colorado Springs channel 11 somehow, but it is not the signal from Cheyenne mountain. My house is on a hill in Manitou Springs with a clear view of the antennas. I get a strong signal of KKTV on channel 10 and no signal at all on channel 24. I wonder where your signal is coming from.

Roy
post #373 of 6837 Old 07-26-2003, 11:07 AM

Didn't have time to mess with this over the last couple of weeks, but I finally moved my Terk TV55 HD antenna from the basement up to the main floor just inside a window where it has a direct view of Cheyenne Mountain. This improved the stability of the OTA significantly and I can now tune both KTTV and KXRM without any problems at all.

On top of that I just installed my Sat-C kit and activated the HD package from D*. I'm now in HD Heaven with 7 HD stations I can watch (I get HBOHD but not Showtime for now).

Now my biggest gripe is back to the stretching and aspect ratio issues. I understand concerns from people with a direct-view CRT and burn in problems, but some of us can't squeeze or unsqueeze the picture. With my Panny HDS20 receiver, all I can do is mess with the output format button on the front panel (cannot be control via remote) to switch between Native, Hybrid, 720P, 480P, 480i, 1080i. It seems that I need to set this differently for every channel, which is very annoying.

I wish they had set some sort of standard for what to broadcast or at least what aspect ratio to broadcast. My guess is that as more and more people start watching HD, there will be more complaints. Somehow there needs to be a way for the broadcast station to broadcast their format and have the receiver on the user end pick up that info and switch to the proper mode. Right now this is way to complicated for the average "Joe" user.

Oh well, that's what we get for being on the cutting edge. At least I can enjoy the Discovery Channel HD now and look forward to some NFL in HD this season, even if KRDO doesn't get it's act together.
post #374 of 6837 Old 07-26-2003, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it would be great if there was an aspect ratio embedded in the broadcast and all receivers could give us the option of what we wanted to do with each possible aspect ratio. But the industry has had trouble agreeing on the existing HD standards and getting HD rolled out in general, so it's hard to hope for much. As HD gets more accepted, more programming will be shot in 16x9 and then some of those with 4x3 TVs will be complaining about black bars (at least if they want DTV or HDTV...)

Hey, as of about 4:00, it looks like KKTV-DT (11-1) is off the air, at least for me. Can someone else verify that it's down, so I know it's not a problem with my equipment? They had been on the air for such a long streak; I hope nothing expensive broke.

Also, KXRM-SD (21-1) is up, but I've been noticing 2 problems: The picture seems jittery, as in there's some vertical bounce, and the audio seems to be a fraction of a second behind the video, for example, when a baseball smacks a glove, the sound is a little late. Both of these are noticeable with Saturday afternoon baseball, and some of the video jitter is really the centerfield camera bouncing due to wind. But the graphics even seem to go up and down a little bit on my display. I tried setting my receiver to 480p/i instead of 1080i, but it was basically the same. Does anyone else see this?

As for KRDO, it would be great if they get their HD going early on in the Monday Night Football season. But whatever happens, at least we're better off for digital signals than Denver! Then again, I think I read that the metropolis of Little Rock, Arkansas, has a whole bunch of full-power HD OTA stations.
post #375 of 6837 Old 07-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

I am getting both KKTV and KXRM digitals fine. I don't know what tuner you have but you might try rescanning or entering channels. I live on a hill by the Garden of the Gods with a clear view of Cheyenne Mountain, so I do have an optimum signal. I hope you get the channels ok again.

Roy
post #376 of 6837 Old 07-26-2003, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I got home and re-checked KKTV around 10:30, and everything was normal. I'll assume that they had a problem of at least 10 minutes around 4 p.m. today.

As for KXRM's video and audio, I'll have to keep checking it out on different days, with different types of programming.
post #377 of 6837 Old 07-27-2003, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

KKTV went in and out a few times today on me.

Also, this was around 4:00PM, so this is probably what you experienced.

Go Broncos!
post #378 of 6837 Old 07-31-2003, 11:25 AM

I just bought a Samsung T150 for $180 and plugged it into my existing UHF/VHF antenna and what a difference HDTV makes. Now I know what everyone has been raving about. I live in Woodmoor (East of I-25 and Monument) and get a great signal for both channel 11 (CBS) and 21 (FOX).

Seeing CBS shows in HDTV makes quite a difference. I have a PLV-70 LCD projector and a 106" screen and will no longer watch standard OTA signals, only HDTV for me. Can't wait to get ABC for MNF, but at least I can watch most football games on CBS or FOX.

I just hope FOX can fix their sound problems. My sound and picture are on different time zones, usually about 2-3 seconds off last weekend. Does anyone know if FOX is working this issue?

Russ
post #379 of 6837 Old 07-31-2003, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I also still have lipsync issues, but mine are Very close together. Just enough to tell there's a problem when people are talking, but not bad enough to bother me. If it was that far behind they might have been working on it, or it could have been your receiver. It has happened to me before and when I changed channels and came back the audio and video was synced up again.

Go Broncos!
post #380 of 6837 Old 07-31-2003, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

rajkej, I share your enthusiam, though unfortunately I don't share your 106" screen. But I remember reading that CBS is only going to broadcast some of their weekly NFL games in HD, and I don't know if Fox is just going to be 480p or if they'll be better than that by September. I just looked on Google but I can't find an answer for either network. Does anyone have a link on this?

Also, in my experience, Fox's audio and video have been off by a fraction of a second. Hope they're working on it.
post #381 of 6837 Old 07-31-2003, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I finally decided to watch CSI, and CBS doesn't have it in HD. I wonder what the problem is.

Go Broncos!
post #382 of 6837 Old 07-31-2003, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

They must have figured it out, because KKTV was back to HD from 8:56 (end of CSI) through the commercials right before 10:00. Then all that was missing was a plot on Without a Trace...
post #383 of 6837 Old 07-31-2003, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I ended up watching the second half in HD, so they fixed it right as I posted here.

Go Broncos!
post #384 of 6837 Old 08-01-2003, 09:02 AM

Last night the video/audio on Fox was normal to me. So hopefully they have figured it out for now.

Even if only some of the football games are HD, at least I can see a clear and large picture now. Watching standard OTA pictures in 106" doesn't look very good at all, too grainy and wavy. The digital broadcast cleans it up so that the only issue is if the source is not as good. I have only watched a few hours of digital-non HD TV broadcasts but they are so much clearer than analog that it is well worth $180 for my receiver.
post #385 of 6837 Old 08-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

I also can't wait for football in HD. I really wish our ABC affiliate would get their act together so we can watch MNF in HD, hopefully soon. For now we get to look forward to CBS and ESPN (if you have sat). I'm counting down the days until Kansas State vs. Cal on August 23rd, that's gonna be awesome. Preseason NFL will be nice in the meantime.
post #386 of 6837 Old 08-02-2003, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Right now, the signal on 21-1 seems to be messed up. I have 0% most of the time, with an occasional blip to 30% or 77% with a picture fragment. Is anyone receiving Fox digital as of about 3:05 pm?
post #387 of 6837 Old 08-02-2003, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rajkej
I just bought a Samsung T150 for $180
Russ

Russ,

Where did you pick up the Samsun for $180? I live in FoxRun off Baptist rd and am considering taking the plunge into HD.
post #388 of 6837 Old 08-02-2003, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw the Samsung T150 on ebay for $180-$200.

Go Broncos!
post #389 of 6837 Old 08-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I live in FoxRun off Baptist rd and am considering taking the plunge into HD.

Take the plunge. I'm sure you will be glad that you did.

Roy
post #390 of 6837 Old 08-03-2003, 08:17 AM

Got mine at Soundtrack. Clearance price ~197, open box was 10% off that.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page