Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3991 of 6848 Old 10-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

Analog is gone in 2 years...digital is mainly what consumers are investing in now. And the stations have each spent a lot of money to go digital recently, so why? Not for all the advertisers that are dying to place spots on Fashion House on 11-2.

I'm not so sure that analog is going away in 2 years. There are still a ton of analog-only TVs out there and if the Party of the People gains control of Congress, you can bet that they will respond to the masses. Many people don't know analog is supposed to go away or even what DTV is, yet. The FCC, only recently mandated (with loop holes) that all new sets have an ATSC tuner . My 2 year old Sony 50 doesn't have one, nor does my brand new Panny DVDR. Larry and Matilda Lunchbucket will scream to high heaven when they discover their precious 4 year old 25 TV has become a relic or they have to spend money for a digital receiver. We'll see.

Typically cable companies get their feed from the stations by direct connection or microwave and satellite companies get theirs OTA. Witness, during bad thunderstorms, D*'s local channels break up when lightning strikes, other channels do not.

Snuffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 6848 Old 10-28-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Analog is gone in 2 years...digital is mainly what consumers are investing in now. And the stations have each spent a lot of money to go digital recently, so why? Not for all the advertisers that are dying to place spots on Fashion House on 11-2.

Uh, because they had to?

Quote:

Plus I think the lower bit rate is probably passed on to cable the same as OTA - do we have evidence that they are passing a full bit rate feed directly to Adelphicast?

We'll need to research it, but they certainly can do it.

Quote:

We've got to be years away from this premium quality that you think is coming soon from networks to cable/satellite - haven't heard that discussed as imminent anywhere - do you have a link?

The info is out there if you try to look. How about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Stigall - KFMB View Post

CBS distributes network signals MPEG-encoded and encrypted at 45 Mbps, but we have to fit that into the FCC allocated 19 Mbps 8-VSB bitstream.

The Link.

And, I've asked foxeng for his input on this subject:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

All FOX stations that receive the HD feed receive it at the same bit rate and that same bit rate is broadcast. Unlike the other networks FOX pre-compresses for OTA for the stations....If a scene has little movement, the bit rate will be small in the 7 or 8 mb area. If there is a lot of movement like in NASCAR or football, the bit rate can go to a max of 15.5 mb.

So, it looks like Fox is the exception.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #3993 of 6848 Old 10-28-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

I'm not so sure that analog is going away in 2 years. There are still a ton of analog-only TVs out there and if the Party of the People gains control of Congress, you can bet that they will respond to the masses.

Please....The decision has been made. The only question is what will happen in places like Denver if they should miss the deadline.
Quote:

Many people don't know analog is supposed to go away or even what DTV is, yet. The FCC, only recently mandated (with loop holes) that all new sets have an ATSC tuner .

Actually, in 124 days(03/01/07), all TV's, no loopholes in this date.

Quote:

My 2 year old Sony 50 doesn't have one, nor does my brand new Panny DVDR. Larry and Matilda Lunchbucket will scream to high heaven when they discover their precious 4 year old 25 TV has become a relic or they have to spend money for a digital receiver. We'll see.

Congress established a fund to help those 'Lunch Bucket' people get receivers. They've delayed this conversion long enough, I don't think that they'll back off now. And, if you think Congress would do anything for the people, you've been living on another planet.

Quote:

Typically cable companies get their feed from the stations by direct connection or microwave and satellite companies get theirs OTA. Witness, during bad thunderstorms, D*'s local channels break up when lightning strikes, other channels do not.

Even within D* it varies on a city by city basis. Some are OTA, some are fiber. I expect the OTA to fade and be replaced by fiber.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider

post #3994 of 6848 Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know which, if any, local COS channel supplies the TVGOS (TV Guide On Screen) guide data? I am trying to setup my Panny DVDR to receive the guide and the manual is of little help. The DVDR is supposed to support D* but I think I may have to obtain the guide OTA. As I understand it, the data is transmitted in the VBI of certain Host Channels, I just don't know which channel it is for COS. Any info would be much appreciated.

Snuffy
post #3995 of 6848 Old 10-29-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought the Broncos HD picture quality on KKTV looked better today, and then I checked and 11-2 and 11-3 are off - fully black screen! I'd like to check the bit rates on each of the 3 channels, but my PC tuner for that isn't hooked up at the moment. But looks like a good decision to allocate bandwidth for the hometown game by KKTV!
post #3996 of 6848 Old 10-29-2006, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I need some comparative information on D* HD-TiVo owners who are currently recording and watching the Broncos game... If you're at a point other than live TV, can you forward the game with the 1 fast forward arrow which is normally about 3x speed? When I do that, it stays at normal speed, but mutes the sound, even while showing the arrow on the bottom of the screen. I've noticed it for like 3 CBS Broncos games now, and it is really strange. The other levels of fast forward work normally for me (2 arrows, 3 arrows, 30 second skip). I'm pretty sure that neither the station or DirecTV or TiVo can block you from using the fast foward button, so why isn't it working? There are a lot of times when you'd really like to forward a game at that 3x (1st arrow) speed. And it's happened when I had the 3.1.5 software, and now with the 6.3 software. I noticed it on one CBS recorded drama too, but otherwise my TiVo has been working completely normally.

Any other DirecTV HD-TiVo owners out there seeing this?
post #3997 of 6848 Old 10-29-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Same result here, but it must be an OTA issue with 11-1 KKTV, imagine that. I was wondering what you were talking about but realized I hadn't had the issue because I usually watch 81 CBSW (doesn't have the problem) since locals have been so bad.
post #3998 of 6848 Old 10-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought the Broncos HD picture quality on KKTV looked better today, and then I checked and 11-2 and 11-3 are off - fully black screen! I'd like to check the bit rates on each of the 3 channels, but my PC tuner for that isn't hooked up at the moment. But looks like a good decision to allocate bandwidth for the hometown game by KKTV!

I agree the PQ was excellent, not to mention a good game regadless of the outcome. I also noticed the black screen for 11-2 and 11-3. 11-3 has been in the black for most of the week. Maybe KKTV has been reading this thread. It is probably too much to hope for, that they will abandon the 2 sub-channels. I don't know if ratings would apply to MYKKTV but if the do, they are sure to find out it is a dud. I guess we can dream.

Snuffy
post #3999 of 6848 Old 10-29-2006, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I noticed they shut 11-3 down right around when people started complaining here. That can't just be a coincidence...
post #4000 of 6848 Old 10-29-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hate to say it, but right now the black screen on 11-2 is using up 1.3-1.9 Mbps and the black screen on 11-3 takes another 1.3-1.9 Mbps.

I wonder if all the bits are zeroes?

11-1 is left with 11.7-15 Mbps for Without a Trace, mostly in the 13's.
post #4001 of 6848 Old 10-30-2006, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wait, so 11-3 is still there? I guess my receiver can't see it. 11-1 and 11-2 are still there, so I just assumed 11-3 was turned off.
post #4002 of 6848 Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I have seen that same problem on 11-1 with my D* HDTiVo - haven't paid enough attention to notice if it happens on every show though...
But I recorded the Bronco's game on the NFL Sunday Ticket channel so I could get DD5.1 sound so I can't help you out with that specific program.

Rob

PS Network Name: radckh
post #4003 of 6848 Old 10-31-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WTF, 12m into House and still in SD, uncool....
post #4004 of 6848 Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HD now, 45 minutes in
post #4005 of 6848 Old 10-31-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And now KRDO/ABC just came back from a commercial SD for no reason
post #4006 of 6848 Old 11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

WTF, 12m into House and still in SD, uncool....

. . . and the audio was terrible! I switched over to the analog channel so I could understand what they were saying. How much smarts does it take to throw a damn switch and why is this not an automatic switch over? I've noticed that when they switch to local commercials the PQ and AQ both get very bad.

Snuffy
post #4007 of 6848 Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

A few day ago I got a call from D* letting me know that the 5-1 program guide data problem had been solved. The rep. was answering my rather caustic e-mail of 2-3 weeks ago. Jezz, I'm glad they told me!

Snuffy
post #4008 of 6848 Old 11-03-2006, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ yeah, these guys are just right on the ball, ehh?

Not a word to me and I even called in twice to seek resolution.

What's sad is now I do not even expect any kind of decent customer service from D* - it's just non existent IMO.

The fact that we had to go in thru an inside contact/back door to get guide data proves my point.
post #4009 of 6848 Old 11-03-2006, 09:28 PM

Hi - first time poster. Wondering if anyone else is having a problem getting 5-1 on Directv? I saw the previous message regarding the guide problem...wondering what that was referring to? I noticed I had two 5-1's maybe a week or so ago and only could get a picture on one. I now just have one on the guide and I'm getting "searching for signal". I just have the indoor antenna and never have had a problem.

The funny thing is I called cust support and according to the guy's chart, I shouldn't be getting any high def as it's not available in Col Springs. So apparently I've just imagined I've had it for going on two years now...

I am being upgraded to the High Def DVR on Thurs so I assume that will fix my problems, but would like to have a picture before then for Sun night football.
post #4010 of 6848 Old 11-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyWi View Post

Hi - first time poster. Wondering if anyone else is having a problem getting 5-1 on Directv? I saw the previous message regarding the guide problem...wondering what that was referring to? I noticed I had two 5-1's maybe a week or so ago and only could get a picture on one. I now just have one on the guide and I'm getting "searching for signal". I just have the indoor antenna and never have had a problem.

Welcome KellyWi, 5-1 is apparently off the air tonight. I haven't checked their web site yet but it looks like something blew out in their transmitter, again.

Quote:
The funny thing is I called cust support and according to the guy's chart, I shouldn't be getting any high def as it's not available in Col Springs. So apparently I've just imagined I've had it for going on two years now...

I think what he is saying is that they don't supply the local HD channeles over their satellite as yet. I assume you are getting them OTA.

Quote:
I am being upgraded to the High Def DVR on Thurs so I assume that will fix my problems, but would like to have a picture before then for Sun night football.

The way I understand it is that right now D*'s DVRs will not pickup OTA DTV locals and since they don't yet supply our local HD channels via satellite, you may unable to receive them at all.

Snuffy
post #4011 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, looks like Snuffy has confirmed that KOAA is MIA since last night. IS everyone else missing signal to 5-1 too. I am getting all other HD OTA channels fine, KOAA is zero on the signal meter. Just checking to make sure my preamp or some other part of my system is not at fault.

KOAA worked fine Thursday night and was out Friday and this morning.
post #4012 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 08:06 AM

Hi,
My Adelphia CC bit the dust this morning so I had to re-scan direct from the coax. I found HD Espn and Discovery on 80.2 etc., but didn't they used to pipe in the local HD channels somewhere in the mix? Does anyone know where to tune to find these? My Sony 50A10 has it's own tuner, so I should be able to get these if they are still transmitting them. Thanks.

Cheers!
Joanr
post #4013 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

OK, looks like Snuffy has confirmed that KOAA is MIA since last night. IS everyone else missing signal to 5-1 too. I am getting all other HD OTA channels fine, KOAA is zero on the signal meter. Just checking to make sure my preamp or some other part of my system is not at fault.

KOAA worked fine Thursday night and was out Friday and this morning.

Yep, 0 dB on 5-1 here. No update on their web site yet.

We didn't really want to watch the big Patriots-Colts game in HD tomorrow night, did we?
post #4014 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 08:33 AM

thanks for the info Snuffy. Funny thing is my mom who lives maybe 15 minutes from me (Briargate) was receiving her 5-1 on DTV. But since others weren't I feel better.

Though the information about not getting OTA at all on the new receiver is not good news! I'm going to call then before I get that hooked up. We waited so long for ABC & NBC to come in and now to lose it all is not an option. I found out by accident that they were running a "special" by giving the things away (I suspect so I wouldn't switch to cable with Comcast coming - actually allegedly here even though they still answer the phone Adelphia).
post #4015 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We didn't really want to watch the big Patriots-Colts game in HD tomorrow night, did we?

No not really, but I was hoping to record Las Vegas in HD last night. Luckily I have dup'd all KOAA recordings on my SD DTivo in the FR. so no HiDef Vegas hotties for me...
post #4016 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 08:51 AM

Joanr,

On my Sony 42A10 Locals are:

NBC 113.2
CBS 104.3
ABC 13.1
FOX 21.1
PBS 89.2

Rich
post #4017 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 AM

I'm with you guys - I'm a fball fan (depending on who is playing) but also enjoy the eye candy Las Vegas offers. This was going to be only my second time to watch LV, and honestly I only lasted 10 minutes since it wasn't HD (that Danny guy was still acceptable). But to watch a fball game in blurvision - especially a matchup like this is unacceptable!

Meanwhile just talked to my mom again and she is still getting a picture on 5-1.

I also called DTV about my HDDVR install on Thurs and she claims the ones they are now installing (they actually ran out of them and I was delayed a couple of weeks) do have the capability of receiving the locals. Needless to say before the installer leaves the house I will be confirming that fact.
post #4018 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also called DTV about my HDDVR install on Thurs and she claims the ones they are now installing (they actually ran out of them and I was delayed a couple of weeks) do have the capability of receiving the locals. Needless to say before the installer leaves the house I will be confirming that fact.

It could be true, but others on this thread have said it will be later this year before the D* DVRs will be updated to receive OTA programming. Beware the D* CSRs, they speak with forked tongues .

Snuffy
post #4019 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

It could be true, but others on this thread have said it will be later this year before the D* DVRs will be updated to receive OTA programming. Beware the D* CSRs, they speak with forked tongues .

Yea, it's probably just the typical corporate BS. I mean, if they let you see free HD programming with their device, why would you need HD LIL?
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #4020 of 6848 Old 11-04-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Meanwhile just talked to my mom again and she is still getting a picture on 5-1.

How is that possible? It sure seems like they're not transmitting at all.

By the way, with an outage (I assume) like this, does Adelphicast cable still have KOAA-HD? I don't know if they get it directly from the station, or grab the signal OTA to retransmit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page