Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 6837 Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 AM
RJO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I receive KKTV via Comcast Moxi DVR and hear the warbling sound. This week it has not been nearly as noticeable as previous weeks but I did get the same audio drop outs that chanceG mentioned above along with a video breakup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 6837 Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe all the questions beyond Dolby scared him away.

Mike
post #4593 of 6837 Old 03-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Just got Comcast's NEW bill! Sticker shock to say the least!

Leon
post #4594 of 6837 Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 AM

I called Comcast CS this morning...

Comcast CS states that all Springs area customers with Adelphia "codes" for their services are now being charged at a different price than normal customers. DVR goes from $11.40 to $18.90, but a Comcast billing code would only cost you $11.95 per month. If I change my billing "codes" to Comcast then my overall bill only goes up about 10% from last month. However, if I do not change the "codes" to Comcast then, based on my bill, the total jumps over 18% and will be higher for the same exact services a normal Comcast customer would have!

Comcast is charging accounts for all customers on auto-pay based on these new prices with NO warning. This is not a banking account balance issue in our household, but it seems unethical to me and will affect a certain percentage of customers negatively.

Time to consider a different strategy for these type of service since we are a 4 DVR heavy consumer of said services! TIVO, DirectTV, Qwest or northing at all etc... Maybe a downgrade in services since this months bill is higher than our health insurance which was a real shocker. The real challenge is internet service which is critical in our household

The bottom-line is that Comcast is punishing customers that have any sort of package price plan from Adelphia. Hundreds of thousands of customers have been given no explanation or choice ahead of time - just a higher bill. Maybe it's time to contact the franchise authority and better business bureau? The whole thing smells fishy to me!

Leon McKee

P.S. I would hate to get rid of the DVR's since MOXI also doubles as an additional heat source
post #4595 of 6837 Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Are Colorado Springs area ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS HD services only availavle by cable or antenna?

Leon McKee
post #4596 of 6837 Old 03-04-2007, 08:15 AM

Anyone here use the latest DirectTV Plus HD DVR? Experiences?

Anyone here have 2 DirectTV Plus HD DVR receivers in their home? Experiences?

How about the broadband service DirectTV offers in the Springs area? Who's the vendor? Experiences?

Leon McKee

"Looking to dump Comcast"
post #4597 of 6837 Old 03-04-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post

Are Colorado Springs area ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS HD services only availavle by cable or antenna?

Leon McKee

Yes, currently no Sat provider is delivering COS HD locals.

I have Comcast Broandband only service and the price stayed the same as Adelphia.... as if $54.95 was not high enough already.

The pricing increases is good info to know. If I ever get a Tivo S3, I will use if strictly for OTA HD and be cable and Sat free for TV content.
post #4598 of 6837 Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 AM

Comcast has three levels of internet service speeds so make sure you check this months bill for any changes.

Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

Yes, currently no Sat provider is delivering COS HD locals.

I have Comcast Broandband only service and the price stayed the same as Adelphia.... as if $54.95 was not high enough already.

The pricing increases is good info to know. If I ever get a Tivo S3, I will use if strictly for OTA HD and be cable and Sat free for TV content.

post #4599 of 6837 Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post

I called Comcast CS this morning...

Comcast CS states that all Springs area customers with Adelphia "codes" for their services are now being charged at a different price than normal customers. DVR goes from $11.40 to $18.90, but a Comcast billing code would only cost you $11.95 per month. If I change my billing "codes" to Comcast then my overall bill only goes up about 10% from last month. However, if I do not change the "codes" to Comcast then, based on my bill, the total jumps over 18% and will be higher for the same exact services a normal Comcast customer would have!

Comcast is charging accounts for all customers on auto-pay based on these new prices with NO warning. This is not a banking account balance issue in our household, but it seems unethical to me and will affect a certain percentage of customers negatively.

Time to consider a different strategy for these type of service since we are a 4 DVR heavy consumer of said services! TIVO, DirectTV, Qwest or northing at all etc... Maybe a downgrade in services since this months bill is higher than our health insurance which was a real shocker. The real challenge is internet service which is critical in our household

The bottom-line is that Comcast is punishing customers that have any sort of package price plan from Adelphia. Hundreds of thousands of customers have been given no explanation or choice ahead of time - just a higher bill. Maybe it's time to contact the franchise authority and better business bureau? The whole thing smells fishy to me!

Leon McKee

P.S. I would hate to get rid of the DVR's since MOXI also doubles as an additional heat source

Always good to call them every few months and threaten to go to sat/dsl. They've always given me the "new customer" pricing which lowers my bill by $30-40/month
post #4600 of 6837 Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainD View Post

Always good to call them every few months and threaten to go to sat/dsl. They've always given me the "new customer" pricing which lowers my bill by $30-40/month

Thar prob only works if you get TV content from them.
post #4601 of 6837 Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO View Post

I receive KKTV via Comcast Moxi DVR and hear the warbling sound. This week it has not been nearly as noticeable as previous weeks but I did get the same audio drop outs that chanceG mentioned above along with a video breakup.

I also have the Moxi box. You have to unplug The Moxi at lest once a week to keep form getting dropout in HD. That is way may Moxi box is going away this week. I'm so times rebooting it daily.
post #4602 of 6837 Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

kktvbob - do you have any thoughts related to some of the areas in my admittedly long post of March 1st?
post #4603 of 6837 Old 03-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Tallguy

On the lip sync, My up convert is on is on the money. But on HD I just pass it through. So if one show is off but the next one is good that would be cbs in NY. Now if it's all of primetime I need to look at that.

On the weather crawl we need to buy so more equipment to do that in HD. But we run the crawls less in HD than in SD. The crawls are not my call. But we do need to warn people.

On the bandwidth this is where it will stay for now. If you look at 11-2 MYKKTV you will see some shows on it now.

On Wheel and Jeopardy will be some time in the future.
post #4604 of 6837 Old 03-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

Thar prob only works if you get TV content from them.

Never hurts to try. Tell them you see their $33/month for broadband ads everywhere and DSL is only $35, so why are you paying $55? Might get lucky
post #4605 of 6837 Old 03-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktvbob View Post

I also have the Moxi box. You have to unplug The Moxi at lest once a week to keep form getting dropout in HD. That is way may Moxi box is going away this week. I'm so times rebooting it daily.

Wonder if you had a "bad box" (hw design was horrible). I never unplugged my box and never had HD dropouts. They were notorious for overheating.

The 6412 has better hw, but worse sw

I don't think the Tivo/Comcast upgrade can get her soon enough!
post #4606 of 6837 Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 AM
cdb

[quote=leonmckee]Anyone here use the latest DirectTV Plus HD DVR? Experiences?

Anyone here have 2 DirectTV Plus HD DVR receivers in their home? Experiences?

How about the broadband service DirectTV offers in the Springs area? Who's the vendor? Experiences?

Leon McKee

I have the HR20-700 and my experience has generally been good. I have had to do an RBR a few times since I got this last Oct. I have had to receive 11.1 thru my TV tuner for the past couple of months, since I have not been able to get a signal thru the HR20-700. 5.1 signal strength has been spotty.

I also have the HR10-250 TIVO and generally get all Local HD channels except for 5.1 which is in and out.

I have a pre-amp on order to hopefully boost some of these weak signals.

I have my broadband through Sprint, and pleased with that service.
post #4607 of 6837 Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 AM
cdb

[quote=leonmckee]Anyone here use the latest DirectTV Plus HD DVR? Experiences?

As a follow-up to my post a few minutes ago... There is a forum for discussion about the D*TV HR20-700, and issues with the latest download. It can be found at: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=81085&page=14
post #4608 of 6837 Old 03-06-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm also having a ton of trouble with KOAA 5-1 OTA reception in Gleneagle here still - I put a ChannelMaster preamp and amp in line, and it didn't strengthen the signal a bit (measured by my PC software in db), or help the TiVo lock in at all. Ugh. I'm wondering if it's multipath, or one rooftop in my way. Their supposedly signal that's the strongest in Colorado must be turned 180 degrees away from me. I may have to go up in the attic again and try to move it around and see if I get lucky, but a 6-8' antenna up there won't move much. It stinks having NBC break up and not record most of the time.
post #4609 of 6837 Old 03-07-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

I'm also having a ton of trouble with KOAA 5-1 OTA reception in Gleneagle here still

No problems here with my HD-TiVo with an amplified SquareShooter and no LOS to Cheyenne Mountain (trees). I'm just a couple miles South of County Line Rd and a bit East of Furrow.

Chance
post #4610 of 6837 Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 AM

I've got an Ironwood Communications guy coming out today to install an outdoor OTA HD antenna for me...run the cable etc. I figured for $50 total it was worth the cost...since my TV is pretty far away from the part of my house the antenna will need to be installed on.

Has anyone had this company provide this service before? Know which antenna they use?

I'm at Dublin and Powers and I currently have the $60 RCA powered antenna from Best Buy sitting above my TV and am able to get moderate signals from all stations except 8-1 and 5-1. This is being fed through my HR10-250. The stations that do come across look and sound great, though.

I'm hoping the signals that are weak right now will be helped by the antenna that Ironwood installs for me today. The installer described it as a "large, waffle" like antenna.
post #4611 of 6837 Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 AM

On antennas, A Channel Master or radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna will work. You have to make sure you don't over load the front end with to high a signal. Too high of a signal will not let your TV to lock. If your over loading the front end you can go to Radio Shack and get a 6db attenuator for about $3.00. Also watch on your amplifiers some of them do not work good with digital. So if you have one in line, take it out and see if things improve. I run a old beat up old Radio Shack in Rustic Hills and it picks up great and some of the elements are missing. Some day I will replace it but it works great so for now it stays.
post #4612 of 6837 Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM

I am a DirTV customer right now and between our broadband going up by $10 because we don't use Comcast cable and the crappy signal strengths on the HR10-250 I am trying to look into switching to Comcast but their website is not much help.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the difference between Comcast Digital Classic EXTRA, PLUS and regular? I clicked on channel lineup and stuck it is a spreadsheet so I could compare and they list all the same channels. I assume that is wrong but I can't tell which channels apply to which package.

2. If I have a TV not watched very often could I just plug the cable right into it and not rent a box and still get basic cable? If so, which basic cable channel package would that be?

3. They do have a HD DVR right?

4. Does it cost the same as a regualr DVR and I just pay the $5 HD package fee?

5. If I have a regular DVR also on a different TV- will that be an EXTRA $11.95 per month? or is there just an extra box charge for something less?

Thanks in advance

Susan
post #4613 of 6837 Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

I'm also having a ton of trouble with KOAA 5-1 OTA reception in Gleneagle here still ... I may have to go up in the attic again and try to move it around and see if I get lucky,

Get the antenna out of the attic. This was the best thing I did to imporve my reception.
post #4614 of 6837 Old 03-08-2007, 05:52 AM

Im about 3 blocks south and 2 blocks east of there and have no problems
getting 95+ signal strength on all the channels. I just have a cheap
powered antenna from the shack in my attic.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
the low power setting is more then enough even with the 100ft of coax
it has to run through.
but there is also nothing between the antenna and the mountain but outer
wall of my house. if you have another house or some trees in the way.....
even when I had it sitting on the living room floor hooked to the tv it worked
great on all channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhodo View Post

I've got an Ironwood Communications guy coming out today to install an outdoor OTA HD antenna for me...run the cable etc. I figured for $50 total it was worth the cost...since my TV is pretty far away from the part of my house the antenna will need to be installed on.

Has anyone had this company provide this service before? Know which antenna they use?

I'm at Dublin and Powers and I currently have the $60 RCA powered antenna from Best Buy sitting above my TV and am able to get moderate signals from all stations except 8-1 and 5-1. This is being fed through my HR10-250. The stations that do come across look and sound great, though.

I'm hoping the signals that are weak right now will be helped by the antenna that Ironwood installs for me today. The installer described it as a "large, waffle" like antenna.

If I could walk that way I wouldnt need cologne.
post #4615 of 6837 Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldor View Post

even when I had it sitting on the living room floor hooked to the tv it worked
great on all channels.

The RCA powered antenna I got from BB worked pretty well...I was in the 70's on 11.1, 13.1 and 21.1...but for 5.1 and 8.1 I was anywhere from 30 to 60, so the picture was pretty choppy.

The IronWood guy installed an external DB2 antenna by diplexing over the existing cable and this boosted every channel into the 90's except for 21.1, which is still hovering in the high 70's...but that is high enough to get great picture and sound quality.

Overall, for $50...I'm extremely happy. I would recommend this service to others who don't feel like doing the dirty work of running cable and getting up on your roof.
post #4616 of 6837 Old 03-08-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeo99 View Post

I am a DirTV customer right now and between our broadband going up by $10 because we don't use Comcast cable and the crappy signal strengths on the HR10-250 I am trying to look into switching to Comcast but their website is not much help.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the difference between Comcast Digital Classic EXTRA, PLUS and regular? I clicked on channel lineup and stuck it is a spreadsheet so I could compare and they list all the same channels. I assume that is wrong but I can't tell which channels apply to which package.

2. If I have a TV not watched very often could I just plug the cable right into it and not rent a box and still get basic cable? If so, which basic cable channel package would that be?

5. If I have a regular DVR also on a different TV- will that be an EXTRA $11.95 per month? or is there just an extra box charge for something less?

Thanks in advance

Susan

1. I really have no idea.

2. Yes, you will get basic cable, channels 2-99 with out a cable box. Those channels are NOT digital even with a cable box though.

3. Yes, Comcast has the Moto 6412 HD DVR. The first 1 HD DVR is $11.95 a month and includes your HD Subscription. The second HD DVR is $18.95 a month.

4. As i stated above, It is $11.95 for the HD DVR and the HD subscription. I am unsure how much a regular DVR cost.

5. For my second HD DVR, I was told it is $18.95 for just the second one. I would think the up change would be b/c it is an HD, but i really do not know.

Hope that help a lil bit. if you figure out more, you should let all us in.
post #4617 of 6837 Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeo99 View Post

Here are my questions:

Thanks in advance

Susan

1. I think the difference between these packages is being able to add additional channels such as HBO, Showtime, etc...

2. With any basic cable package, you should be able to hook up directly to your TV and get the basic cable channels. All the cable outlets in your house should be active, but you need to make sure your TV is cable ready first.

3. The DVR Comcast gave me was the Motorola DCT 6416. Works okay, but has a software issue if you leave the box turned off during a recording. If you power the box on to watch TV, the box will be stuck in MUTE unless you can reprogram your remote. You'll see what I mean if you get this box.

4. For me, I tried to order the HD package, but instead I receive one regular cable box, and one DVR. Since the DVR has a built in QAM tuner, it automatically picks up all the HD channels without the HD package. The regular box however does not pick up HD. This could be an alternative if you only have 1 HDTV. Also, if your TV has a built in QAM tuner, then you will not need to order the HD package to view HD.

5. I know one DVR cost me $11.95. I never asked about a second.

Also if you go with Comcast, make sure you find the special rebate offers throughout different internet sites. Usually you can get a rebate if you have Comcast activated for at least 2 months.

Good luck!
post #4618 of 6837 Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Can anyone tell me if any of the Notre Dame football games OTA on 5.1 last season were broadcast in HD?

At the time I didn't have the equipment I do now...so I'm getting geared up for the upcoming season...yeah, I know it's March.

Thanks!
post #4619 of 6837 Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhodo View Post

Can anyone tell me if any of the Notre Dame football games OTA on 5.1 last season were broadcast in HD?

At the time I didn't have the equipment I do now...so I'm getting geared up for the upcoming season...yeah, I know it's March.

Thanks!

Yeah! You're right... It's MARCH! lol

While i am not a Notre Dame fan myself (Go Big RED!!!), I did catch at least 2 HD Notre Dame games last season. Not sure if they all will be, but Notre Dame is a popular team and popular teams get HD spots.
post #4620 of 6837 Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtolles View Post

I did catch at least 2 HD Notre Dame games last season.

Good to know...the anticipation of this season will now be at an all time high
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page