Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 6840 Old 09-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just turned on CSI (at 830pm) and the picture is really hosed! Anyone else seeing the same thing? The image is really broken up.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 6840 Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw the intro and it looked the same as CSI always does(grainy). I didn't see any fast moving pictures to look for pixelation though.

Go Broncos!
post #513 of 6840 Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I have never noticed this before, so I'm not sure if it has always been this way but Fox's station is now listed as: KXRM SD. I wonder what made them use SD, anyone know?
Also, I remember reading they might upconvert their signal... any chance of that still happening? Even their commericals looka lot better during widescreen programming, so I wish they would upconvert all the time.

I also tried adelphia again and got no signals.

Go Broncos!
post #514 of 6840 Old 09-19-2003, 11:46 PM

They've used the SD for a while, if not since the beginning. I would guess because their Engineering group actually knows what High Definition is and that they are not broadcasting it, so the Standard (SD). Since it seems they actually have a clue over there it's too bad they don't have the support for HD. At least their way ahead of that ABC station we have here and have a digital channel operating.

Adelphia, 24 HD channels. They wouldn't have a clue how to fit in 24 HD Channels if they did have access to that many.
post #515 of 6840 Old 09-20-2003, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Did anyone go to the projector party last night?

I wasn't able to test Adelphia's signals yesterday, but I hope to sometime this next week (it depends on when my neighbor gets his new HD set in).

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #516 of 6840 Old 09-21-2003, 04:00 PM

I'm watching the CBS game in HD and it is looking pretty good. Most of the artifacting I've noticed is when they are spinning their logo on the screen and when the camera is behind the field-goal kicker and follows the ball through the uprights (SF is kicking a lot of FGs.) Then, the background crowd becomes mottled.

Is CBS doing HD instant replays or just extracting then from the SD feed?

Jack

PS and they need better cameras in the blimp.
post #517 of 6840 Old 09-21-2003, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I agree it looks pretty good, but CBS network must be doing something with the encoding for those motion artifacts to exist. I'm occasionally switching it over to the HDNet Oregon vs. Boise game, and I don't notice any issues like that.

I can't believe KXRM forgot to flip the switch and show the Bucs game in "high resolution." Shame on KXRM!

Hail to the King, baby!
post #518 of 6840 Old 09-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

So others are seeing arifacts also, perhaps on the helmets as well during closeup shots?!? Thank Goodness! I just spent 20 minutes in the attic repositioning my antenna thinking that a stonger signal would help. I went from 77-83% up to 89-94% and am still seeing artifacts! Now I don't feel like a complete idiot, paritial yes, but not complete!

post #519 of 6840 Old 09-21-2003, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The most apparent pixelation is when they go to ground cameras, and guys run across the screen while they're zoomed in.(also for a short time on the big spinning CBS logo.) BTW... I was comparing between D*HD 70 and KKTV-DT and the artificats were Much worse on KKTV. Why would they not be giving the signal full bandwidth if they aren't multicasting etc?

Also, I thought KKTV said they couldn't send out a 5.1 signal... it was 5.1... same as D*s today.

I've been seeing the artifacts for weeks now even with 100% signal strength, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

I wonder why Fox didn't flip the switch today?

Go Broncos!
post #520 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

GUESS WHAT?

Here is the response I got from Jeff Thomas at KRDO - it looks like we're getting HD Monday Night Football soon! Yeah!

Hi Jeremy:
Thanks for thinking of us at News 13.

Our HD transmission is very close to being up and running. This is an extremely costly operation for a handful of people who have the expensive sets. You may be ready, but the vast majority of viewers do not have the expensive equipment.

Please be patient. It's going to be complete within the next two weeks.

Thanks again for your interest in News 13.

Jeff
post #521 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

And here's the reply that I got from Mr. Thomas.

Hi Frank:

Thanks for thinking of us at News 13.

HD TV is a ways off, but our digital signal will join those of our competitors soon.

No one in the market has HD yet. The system is extermely expensive and very few homes
have the expensive sets to receive it. Please be patient.

Thanks for your interest in News 13.

Jeff Thomas
News 13 Station Relations Director

WTF!! Talking out both sides of his keyboard!

post #522 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Well now that's bothersome. How long ago did you get that? It seems that they are quite confused about the difference between HD and digital. I sure hope you replied and let him know how nice CBS is in HD, and how wrong his comment is about no one having HD yet.

And I was getting all excited...
post #523 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Just got it this AM. I'll be responding shortly.

post #524 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 10:54 AM

Hi all,

I just recently jumped on the hdtv bandwagon. I purchased a mitsubishi 55413 and am loving the HD off directv. I now want to get OTA up and running for CBS-HD. What are you guys using for antennaes? (I live in briargate and don't have direct line of site to cheyenne mountain) Do you guys see a big difference in reception between CBS anolog and CBS digital? My current reception of CBS analog is pretty poor, but fox,abc,and nbc(30) come in pretty well.

-Mike
post #525 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

I'm just using a cheap-o $10 uhf/vhf antenna, and it works fine. I'm a few miles closer though, I-25 and Rockrimmon. I'd try a cheap one first, then maybe get an amplified antenna if that doesn't work. I'm not sure how my CBS analog is, I've only got the digital channel added.
post #526 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 02:56 PM

Grrr... that's annoying. I wish they'd at least try understanding what HD means before they write stuff like that - especially coming from the PR/CR dept. I suppose that's why they didn't email me back - I directly compared them to KKTV, and mentioned how nice some shows looked in HD. That must have confused them greatly

As far as antennas, I currently use a $10 antenna and usually hover around 77% signal. I live near Fountain and Circle.
post #527 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

B**tards! KRDO just had to wait until AFTER my HD equipment is already on its way to Europe before they start broadcasting. LOL!

That's great for everyone still living here, though.

I'm using a Rat Shack Bowtie antenna, but I've tried hooking up a pair of rabbit ears with a little UHF circular wire in the center, and that also picks up KKTV pretty well.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #528 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff doesn't seem to know the difference between HD and digital at all.

Several weeks ago he said November for their digital signal, and that they would only be doing what CBS is doing, no HD but upconverting all the time. (Which was totally wrong, I figured he would know the CBS was doing HD by now after I'm sure several of us let him know they were)

So as of now I'm hoping that he just has no idea what is going on, and that they will be upconverting all the time, and showing HD when it's on, just as CBS is doing.

At least he has consistently give the same date, and it's good to see that date moved forward. Let's just hope he has no clue about HD within their station.

Go Broncos!
post #529 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

My response from Jeff Thomas this morning was the same as Frank's, not Jeremy's:

"You are receiving digital TV, not HDTV. No one in the market has that with the exception of the networks and cable systems. Local stations are being required to run and operate two TV stations to provide digital coverage.

HDTV, the next step from digital, is very expensive, and few homes have what you have. The sets are just too expensive right now.

HDTV will come in time, and our digital signal should be up within the next two weeks.

Thanks for your interest in News 13.

Jeff Thomas
News 13 Station Relations Director"

I had told him how good KKTV's HD shows were also - so he heard it from many of us, and still assumed we were ALL idiots.

It's going to be difficult to keep the sarcasm out of my response....
post #530 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Perhaps Mr. Thomas simply doesn't know (through official channels) that KKTV is re-transmitting the Network HD feed>

post #531 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I emailed him today letting him know I watch KKTV CBS HD via channel 10-1/11-1 everynight including college and pro football on the weekends. I also made it clear that I knew the difference between the primetime HD and their upconverting, so he can't tell me they only upconvert.

I really don't understand this though: "No one in the market has that with the exception of the networks and cable systems."

Networks and cable systems? What does he mean?

Go Broncos!
post #532 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaggeto
Networks and cable systems? What does he mean?

I assume he means that the local affiliates don't have HD Cameras, editors and whatever else is need to produce HD content. The affiliates are just passing though the network digital or upconverting the analog feed with a standard, rather expensive box. I have no idea what HD capabilities the local cable companies have.

Jack
post #533 of 6840 Old 09-24-2003, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaggeto

I've been seeing the artifacts for weeks now even with 100% signal strength, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

I think the artifacting is a function of the encoder. They just aren't throwing enough MIPS at the processor so when it has a lot of action going on it just does what it can before going onto the next frame. Signal strength won't make a difference with artifacts. Basically, if not enough signal gets through the picture goes blank. Either the bits get through as a coherent data-stream or the set shuts off the display.

One of the nice things about the digital picture is that it is so clear compared to the analog picture I can barely receive on all the channels. So far all the digital channels (all two of them) are getting to me over that ridge between me and Cheyenne Mtn. I look forward to seeing what ABC can do.

Jack
post #534 of 6840 Old 09-25-2003, 12:55 PM

Got this from Joe Reed at KRDO:

Michael
we are building out our DTV transmitter over the next three weeks and hope to be broadcasting an up converted digital signal by Nov 03
thank you for viewing

Joe Reed
IT Manager
Pikes Peak Broadcasting
719-575-6213

--------------------------------------

*sigh* My original question asked about HDTV, of course... do these people not know what they're talking about, or are they just acting like it?
post #535 of 6840 Old 09-25-2003, 11:50 PM

Well my samsung t-160 just arrived today. I was able to set up everything just fine for the satellite hd signals. Unfortunately, the samsung unit was not detecting any Digital ota signals. I suspected this may be the case for cbs since kktv-dt is channel 10 and I have real bad vhf reception. However, I expected fox to come through pretty strong considering I get pretty good reception from a powered indoor antenae. Guess I'll need to look at mounting something either in the attic or on the roof. Sigh

-Mike

BTW anyone know the covenants for mounting antenaes in briargate?
post #536 of 6840 Old 09-26-2003, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Uh, by Federal law, you should be able to put your antenna wherever it needs to be to get optimum reception.

Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 is what I'm referring to. It specifically allows consumers to "install satellite dishes and equipment despite landlord opposition in order to enjoy freely the benefits of digital access and entertainment."
*Quoted from Widescreen Review, Vol. 10 No. 9, Issue 53

Hail to the King, baby!
post #537 of 6840 Old 09-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

By the way, KKTV-DT is channel 11 and KXRM-DT is 21. Did you go in and scan for digital channels?
post #538 of 6840 Old 09-26-2003, 01:18 PM

drvais - My understanding is the federal law you are quoting does protect the placement of satellite dishes of a certain size. However, local agencies can restrict the size of large dishes/antenaes. For example, I have a friend who is a ham radio operator. He has been instructed by the city to remove his antenaes because they don't meet code. I also suspect we wouldn't be allowed to place a 10 foot satelitte dish in our front yard.

Jeremy - I tried scanning for digital channels about a dozen times (i've read sometimes it takes the samsung several shots to pick up the stations properly). Looks like i'm going to have to try something else. My next attempt might be a 15 element yagi mounted in the attic.

-Mike
post #539 of 6840 Old 09-26-2003, 01:33 PM

Jeremy - KKTV-DT is channel 10. It may show up on your set as channel 11 but it's being modulated at channel 10 (192-198 MHz). Here's a link to the allocation of channels for colorado springs.

100kwatts.tmi.net/tv/COS.html

sorry there is no link it won't let me post a link until I've posted at least 5 times

The real bummer is, all the DTV stations are UHF except for KKTV-DT which is VHF at channel 10. This means we can't use a nice directional UHF antenna like the zenith silver plus to pick up CBS-HD
post #540 of 6840 Old 09-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting, it shows KXRM-DT as 22 also. Wonder why they show up as 11 and 21. Oh well.

I also noticed that they list KRDO-DT, KTSC-DT, and KOAA-DT all as "new - to be." Nice to see they have channels decided already. Hopefully they will "be" before I'm old and gray. Our buddies at KRDO seem to be trying at least, confused as they are.

A bit of advice on the Sammy 160 - make sure you give it ample breathing room. I had my first one in my AV cabinet and slowly fried it. They sent me a new one, it is sitting outside by itself and is doing fine.

Good luck with the OTA stations, college and pro fooball in 1080i on CBS is something you don't want to miss. As for their crappy sitcoms and dramas, well...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page