Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6830 Old 09-26-2003, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
ryttingm, antennas are covered as well, as a satellite dish is a type of antenna. Please review the law and you will see that you'll be ok with putting up a huge antenna.

Check out this site for info on getting away with an obnoxious antenna: http://www.satellitetvmania.com/fcccase.htm

And also review these links as well:
http://www.satellitetvmania.com/renters.htm
http://titantvretailzone.com/rz/Reta...&pid=rzdefault

One last thing about the law I'm referencing, HAM radio probably wouldn't be covered as the law is strictly dealing with video signals.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6830 Old 09-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FWIW, I receive the KKTV-DT signal using a roof mounted uhf only antenna (CM 3021). I live between Lone Tree and Castle Rock.
post #543 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the info as well keeping on these broadcasters folks, it is appreciated! I do have a question though. What hopes for OTA do you think I have living next to Fox Run Park South of Monument?
post #544 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xyzzy11686
What hopes for OTA do you think I have living next to Fox Run Park South of Monument?

I live near Lewis Palmer H.S. and get OTA HD just fine. Singal is about the same strength as analog stations.

Is anyone else not getting an audio feed on FOX HD today? The Vikings were broadcast with audio in 4:3 mode but then FOX switched to widescreen and lost the audio feed it seems.
post #545 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems they went back to 4:3, and still don't have audio.

It seems their weekend workers, if different, have problems doing widescreen material. I remember baseball games on Saturdays not being widescreen, but wasn't sure if they were supposed to be, now I think they were.

Go Broncos!
post #546 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, looks like KXRM-DT is having some issues today. Sound is out, it was widescreen earlier, now letterboxed.
post #547 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone else read the article in the Gazette today? It's on Metro 1 and 7.

Here's a bit from it:

Keeping up with developing technology for better picture quality explains Adelphi'a move to offer four high definition stations beginning Wednesday - HBO_HD (no. 215), Showtime-HD (No. 220), CBS_HD (No. 711) and fox-HD (No. 721)."

My only problem with this is they list it as Fox-HD, when even Fox itself lists their channel as SD. Maybe this will force Fox to work on showing ED material correctly. lAlso looks like we won't get these channels without their cable box, so no OTA/satellite tuners will get them at those channel #s.

Edit: Also on Business 4 in teh Gazette there is another article which shows people going from digital cable back to analog because they don't need all those channels. I hope this makes them realize that we would rather have quality over quantity.

Go Broncos!
post #548 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Which is worse: KXRM-DT with severe lip sync issues or without any audio at all?

I prefer the latter.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #549 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure, but the quality is terrible. I'd prefer KKTV upconverted the whole season with no HD games over Fox the whole season with a couple HD games.

Go Broncos!
post #550 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 06:45 PM

3 HD channels on Adelphia is definitely more believable and attainable at this time. At least they are finally getting started.

I think we all need to email the Chief Engineer over at FOX and let him know there are a lot of people who see their problems. I wonder if it was equipment failure again or OE?
post #551 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

If Adelphia would add ESPNHD, Discovery HD and HDNet, they would have my business.

Roy
post #552 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Any of you guys catch the Colts/Saints game on ESPN-HD? I have yet to see KKTV look that good! The PQ on ESPN-HD was incredible!!

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #553 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, they have been doing a good job with Sunday night football lately. Even better than the PQ was Payton tearing up the Saints.

It seems that ESPN-HD's 720p upconverted to 1080i looks smoother than CBS's straight 1080i, especially during fast motion shots. I guess that is why they chose 720p though. CBS still suffers from artifacts on fast motion, although it looks a touch crisper otherwise IMO. Do you think that is inherent for 1080i, or will they eventually solve that problem?

With all this good HD football and more to come, I'm tempted to upgrade to a widescreen from my 4:3 set. DLP or LCD maybe...

I'm surprised Adelphia is finally getting their HD package out, limited as it is. If they get the rest of them, I'll probably wish I hadn't moved to satellite.
post #554 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 10:35 PM

Well after trying my 4th antenna I finally had luck geting the DTV signals. Just in time for weekend football. (i'm sure glad I didn't miss the alabama/arkansas game). I read some reviews over at projectorexpert.com that mentioned the radio shack 15-1862 as a good antenna. I ended up getting the 15-1880 which is the newer version and I was finally able to lock in.

I still wasn't getting great reception (cbs would sometimes cut out) so I moved the antenna up stairs and hooked into some existing coax wiring in the house that was originally intended for DBS service. Since then the reception has been great. However, My wife doesn't like the antenna sitting in the nursery and has demanded that I install something outside. I've seen promising reviews of the CM 3010 also known as the stealthtenna. Any owners of this antenna out there? any comments on it's performance?

-Mike

BTW I noticed no sound on fox either. I was really hoping to see the bronco game in widescreen.
post #555 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Ryttingm... I'm currently using the Stealthtenna unamplified very successfully. It's not bad looking and works well. I am pretty close to the towers though.

I think the CBS games look better then the ESPN games. Are you watching the CBS NFL game on D* or OTA? Our OTA channel isn't giving it enough bandwidth and it has the artifacts a lot more then D* version. I really notice the resolution difference on any shot that isn't a closeup. Espn isn't nearly as detailed until the closeups where it looks about the same. Not to mention the red left-outlines on people on the ESPN NFL games.

I am wathcing with everything upconverted to 1080i though. What TV do you have and can it show 720p and 1080i?

Go Broncos!
post #556 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't know of a mass-market consumer television set that can natively show both 720p and 1080i. I think one of the Princeton Graphics direct-view sets could, but I don't really consider those easy to come by.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #557 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah, I didn't think so either except for some large computer displays and maybe those new Toshiba Lcos displays? They have 1080p, so I assume they can show 720p, or upconvert 720p to 1080p flawlessly. But from the littel bit of reading I've done on them they have a lot of their own problems not to mention $7.500 for a 65" set.

I just read what Jeremy wrote again and I see his set is upconverting to 1080i. So the main problem he's seeing which is the artifcating on quick scenes has nothing to do with CBS and 1080i, but instead is KKTVs fault.
Although I don't know why 720p upconverted to 1080i would look any smoother then native 1080i content.

Go Broncos!
post #558 of 6830 Old 09-28-2003, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Toshiba LCoS sets, along with all of the other new fancy technologies, typically convert everything to the display device's native resolution. For the Toshiba LCoS in particular (FYI- I believe they only have the 57-inch model on the market due to manufacturing problems), it upconverts everything to 1080p. Ironically enough, though, it won't accept a 1080p signal.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #559 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried scanning for new channels lately? I would imagine KRDO-DT will start testing pretty soon since they claim to be getting thier digital station up soon. I'll have to run a scan every now and then to check. And another Monday night passes without HD MNF...
post #560 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Based on the replies received by some of us from Mr. Thomas at KRDO, I would be very surprised if we actually see an HD signal from KRDO in the next 1-2 years. DTV by the end of the year is a possiblity, but i've given up hope of seeing ABC in HD anytime soon.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #561 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 01:01 PM

I'm curious to see what our options will be down the road for receiving WB in hd. WB has some great shows in high definition, but with the lack of local broadcast I don't think that WB in high def will be a possibility for some time.

About the only option I see at this time is adelphia, and we all know how fast adelphia is at adopting new technology.

-Mike
post #562 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

WB has great shows?
post #563 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ryttingm
BTW I noticed no sound on fox either. I was really hoping to see the bronco game in widescreen.

I wrote to KRXM about the sound and widescreen and here was their reply:

The audio missing in the games is most likely due to the fact that Fox is using SAP on some of the games and you need to take that option off of your set. Many sets default to it, so you need to look in your owners manual about how to turn the option "off". That way you will always get both channel audio correctly.

I'll check for the SAP setting on my OTA receiver. If anyone else does the same and it works, would you let me know?

As for widescreen, it is up to Fox which games are and sometimes they do not give us a heads-up on which games are. You need to check on Fox.com or Foxsports.com.

Russ
post #564 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That confused me. They told you to check fox.com for what games are widescreen?

Go Broncos!
post #565 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree, KXRM's response doesn't make any sense. The Bucs game two Sundays ago was in Fox Widescreen, but they certainly didn't show it that way.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #566 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 09:24 PM

Their reply in reference to the audio problem sounds bogus also.
post #567 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Remember that Fox only offers 2 NFL games a week in widescreen (usually), and last weekend's Broncos game was not one of them. So that wasn't KXRM's fault. Of course, the audio was.

Looking at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=300612, it looks like the 11 a.m. CBS-HD game and the 11 a.m. Fox-widescreen game will be pre-empted by the Broncos-Chiefs non-HD game this coming Sunday. That means if you're looking for widescreen HD or ED games this weekend without NFL Sunday Ticket, you probably only get the Redskins game at 2 p.m. in Fox widescreen (assuming KXRM personnel are awake) and then the ESPN-HD game on Sunday night.

But based on http://www.nfl.com/schedules/tv/national, I think that the following week will be the Broncos in HD for what I assume is the first time ever broadcast OTA in Colorado (vs. Steelers on Oct. 12)!
post #568 of 6830 Old 09-29-2003, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know for a fact that the Broncos game two weeks ago (which is what I was referring to) was in widescreen because it was being offered in widescreen on the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #569 of 6830 Old 09-30-2003, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I did not see the Broncos on Sunday Ticket in widescreen. The widescreen game during the Broncos game was the Dallas game. There was another one in the morning timeslot.

Since that was their first game on Fox, there were no other possible widescreen games, right?

What game are you referring to that was two weeks ago?

I agree that the audio problem explanation sounds bogus.

Go Broncos!
post #570 of 6830 Old 09-30-2003, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm referring to the listing I saw on DirecTV NFL channel 70 on 21 Sep for the Bucs game being presented in "high resolution" (read Fox Widescreen). I even mentioned how KXRM forgot to flip the switch when this happened.

Hail to the King, baby!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page