Forum Jump: 

post #5941 of 6830 Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

The last I saw KKTV was the only local that applied, but now the FCC is stopping stations in a lot of markets from dropping the analog - I didn't see ours listed.

I wouldn't care what they do since it doesn't affect me in any way except now we have to continue putting up with KOAA's asinine notices that are really disrupting and irritating. Real good marketing strategy when you're the lowest rated of the major networks - piss off the viewers you have left.

Oh great, now we get crawlers on KKTV saying they are NOT eliminating their analog signal on Feb 17. Sheesh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 6830 Old 02-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoost View Post

Hey all, I searched the thread somewhat, and never found any single "conclusive" post so to speak....I am wondering if anyone in the Springs is able to receive Denver based OTA digital channels via antenna? I imagine Monument hill plays havoc on receiving any Denver based signals, but just want to confirm one way or the other.

I am located in Briargate, and was considering the following antenna for attic placement: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=C4

Thanks for the help!

Did you purchase this antenna? I'm curious how well it works in your attic, and what signal strengths you are receiving.
post #5943 of 6830 Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Hello fellow Colorado Springsians... I am new to the HD world and just recently purchased an hdtv a couple months ago. I have Comcast basic but watch OTA HD content. Lately I've noticed that not as near as many shows are being broadcasted in HD. It seemed like when I first got my tv there were a quite a bit of HD shows on the networks: movies, tv series, football, letterman, leno etc... lately I've been noticing shows that were in HD are not anymore. Is this a comcast thing? Or a satellite thing? Or a network thing?? I am getting Comcast HD next week so maybe it doesn't matter, but I'm still curious. Also, those of you who have Comcast HD how is it??
post #5944 of 6830 Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IINEWBIEII View Post

Hello fellow Colorado Springsians... I am new to the HD world and just recently purchased an hdtv a couple months ago. I have Comcast basic but watch OTA HD content. Lately I've noticed that not as near as many shows are being broadcasted in HD. It seemed like when I first got my tv there were a quite a bit of HD shows on the networks: movies, tv series, football, letterman, leno etc... lately I've been noticing shows that were in HD are not anymore. Is this a comcast thing? Or a satellite thing? Or a network thing?? I am getting Comcast HD next week so maybe it doesn't matter, but I'm still curious. Also, those of you who have Comcast HD how is it??

Most prime-time network programming is in HD except for some reality shows or newsmagazines. Also most sports is in HD, Leno, Letterman, Today Show, nightly news, etc. If you post which shows appear not to be HD to you, readers on this board can reply and if those shows are actually in HD there may be a problem with your setup.
post #5945 of 6830 Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks TallGuy for your assessments of Colo Spgs HD.
COLO. SPRINGS HD:
1.0 NBC KOAA looks great!
Multicasting:
0.9 FOX KXRM
0.9 CBS KKTV
0.7 ABC KRDO No DD5.1!
0.3 PBS KTSC lots of SD
=3.8 HD stations

How sad PBS (my most watched TV network) is so far behind the eight ball in HD TV. Thank goodness I still have an analog TV.
post #5946 of 6830 Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post

Most prime-time network programming is in HD except for some reality shows or newsmagazines. Also most sports is in HD, Leno, Letterman, Today Show, nightly news, etc. If you post which shows appear not to be HD to you, readers on this board can reply and if those shows are actually in HD there may be a problem with your setup.

hmm Thats weird... It seemed like nearly every prime-time show and sports just completely stopped broadcasting in HD. 20/20, Cops, Letterman, Leno, golf, nascar etc.. It sounds like it was a problem with my setup however I did get some shows in HD like Conan. Anyways, I have comcast HD now so it's not a problem. I was just wondering if other people were experiencing this but seems like it must of been my setup...

I am enjoying Comcast HD, most of the HD Content looks really good. The Palladia and hdnet channel are a pleasant suprise. Last night I watched one of the last performances of James Brown on Palladia and it looked amazing... Also on the HDnet channel they showed Strikeforce MMA at the Broomfield Event Center. Both had amazing PQ. I thought Comcast carried CNNHD which they don't, that was kinda disappointing. I hooked a toslink optical cable into my HD box to get the Dolby Digital however I almost prefer the Dolby Pro Logic TV mode better on my receiver... DD sounds a little soft and harder to hear the dialogue. Any suggestions?
post #5947 of 6830 Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

For those who may be interested, Dish Network announced that HD locals for Colorado Springs will go live on Feb. 25th. I have Dish Network but get locals ota, thought some people would like to know.

Roy

I checked this morning before I left for work and no local HD channels on Dish. Does anyone know if there's been a change to the date? I'll probably still watch the local HD via OTA, but it would be nice to have the option.
post #5948 of 6830 Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoViewer View Post

I checked this morning before I left for work and no local HD channels on Dish. Does anyone know if there's been a change to the date? I'll probably still watch the local HD via OTA, but it would be nice to have the option.

I got the info from the Dish Network Forum at Satteliteguys.us. They tend to do uplinks like this in the afternoon., so as far as I know, it is still on track.

Roy
Here is a link to the discussion. It is stated in the 10th post and in the 2nd thumbnail in the 11th post:
Satellite Guys
post #5949 of 6830 Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

I got the info from the Dish Network Forum at Satteliteguys.us. They tend to do uplinks like this in the afternoon., so as far as I know, it is still on track.

Roy
Here is a link to the discussion. It is stated in the 10th post and in the 2nd thumbnail in the 11th post:
Satellite Guys

Wonder if KRDO/NP&G will play nice with E*?

I've stopped watching them since they are the only major network affiliate in town that doesn't allow D* to broadcast their digital signal.
post #5950 of 6830 Old 03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

What lightning protection products do you recommend for our ATSC antennas? I'm assuming they can cause signal loss and some are more effective than others. Do any come with warranties if protected equipment is blown like you find with surge suppressors?

Scott
post #5951 of 6830 Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM

New station - KVSN 48.1 - Univision - went on the air this morning.
post #5952 of 6830 Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 AM

Dish's web site is now indicating that all four Colorado Springs networks are available in HD. Although not actually true, it may well be the case later today once the weekly uplinks are done.

Bob Dinkel

Woodland Park
post #5953 of 6830 Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

appreciate the update, i've been wondering about locals on dish.

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #5954 of 6830 Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Colorado Springs HD locals are now on Dish. For those of us in Teller County, or even Monument, the signal is rather weak. Next week I am installing a 30" dedicated dish for sat 129 to improve the signal and avoid rain/snow dropouts.
post #5955 of 6830 Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

to be clear, does this include krdo in hd?

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #5956 of 6830 Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

to be clear, does this include krdo in hd?

Yes. Includes KRDO. ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox all in HD.
post #5957 of 6830 Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinkel View Post

Yes. Includes KRDO. ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox all in HD.

How about PBS? Is it's HD signal available on Dish or DirecTV?
post #5958 of 6830 Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

How about PBS? Is it's HD signal available on Dish or DirecTV?

Not on Dish.

Mike
post #5959 of 6830 Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

What the heck is the point of 'getting' HD locals via satcasters, with no PBS or KRDO?

Heck, put up an antenna and get all five HD locals for FREE and tell them to shove off.
post #5960 of 6830 Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys, it's been a while since I checked in. Question about PBS/KTSC ch.8 - are they showing any actual HD broadcasts these days OTA? Used to be that I got most of their primetime stuff in actual HD on my DirecTV HD Tivo, but now everything seemed to be SD (though still digital). Is that me or did they change something? If the latter, why?

Thanks,
Sean
post #5961 of 6830 Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

What the heck is the point of 'getting' HD locals via satcasters, with no PBS or KRDO?

Heck, put up an antenna and get all five HD locals for FREE and tell them to shove off.

Oh I agree, I was just curious given the apparent lack of KTSC HD programming OTA from Tall Guys running scorecard. (0.3 for PBS? Shameful). The thing that annoys me about Ch 8 is from what I have heard they will not have a UHF HD transmission from Cheyenne Mtn. That probably means a Hi Band VHF antenna pointed towards Pueblo. I live in a Briargate Apt complex (with clear line of sight to the South from my 2nd floor unit). I don't think Mgmt will be too happy with the VHF antenna, UHF would be no problem. Also, sometimes Rocky Mtn selection of PBS programming drives me nuts. How many Antique Roadshows do we need to see? A friend in ND has better PBS programming than we do here. Sheesh. Wish I could get the national feed from a C/Ku-Band satellite link (no room for a large antenna though )

Cheers
post #5962 of 6830 Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

What about the channel 32 PBS broadcast from Springs? (I'm in Pueblo and I get their analog - weak, but watchable). I really haven't paid much attention to it for some time, but remember the programming was different than KTSC. Curious if they're going to keep it as a low-power analog or what?

I'm even wondering about KTSC's signal here in Pueblo. My antennae is pointed at a 90 degree angle from the station, but probably should get it since it's that close anyway (I'm assuming now my signal is coming from Cheyenne Mountain like the rest).
post #5963 of 6830 Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

What about the channel 32 PBS broadcast from Springs? (I'm in Pueblo and I get their analog - weak, but watchable). I really haven't paid much attention to it for some time, but remember the programming was different than KTSC. Curious if they're going to keep it as a low-power analog or what?

I'm even wondering about KTSC's signal here in Pueblo. My antennae is pointed at a 90 degree angle from the station, but probably should get it since it's that close anyway (I'm assuming now my signal is coming from Cheyenne Mountain like the rest).

Channel 32 originates from KBDI in Broomfield/Boulder on translater K32EO. I'm not sure if it will stay digital after June 17 or go off the air.

On KTSC, according to the FCC data base KTSC uses Ch 8/26 transmitters on Cheyenne Mtn and Ch 8 in Pueblo (38° 22' 25.00" N 104° 33' 27.00" W, same tower as KOAA it seems). Does not appear that Ch 26 will be used for anything post DTV conversion. That transmitter will still be up on Cheyenne Mtn, but there's nothing to suggest on the KTSC website that it will still be used post June 17 (its all Ch 8.1 - ). I sent a note off to KTSC to see what, if anything, they have to say about their channels and transmitter locations (will they be using Cheyenne Mtn and the Pueblo transmitters? If so, will both transmissions be on 8.1? Will they keep a UHF transmission (Ch 26)? We'll see what they say. I'll post any responses here in the forum.

Cheers
post #5964 of 6830 Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
KTSC uses Ch 8/26 transmitters on Cheyenne Mtn and Ch 8 in Pueblo (38° 22' 25.00" N 104° 33' 27.00" W, same tower as KOAA it seems). Does not appear that Ch 26 will be used for anything post DTV conversion. That transmitter will still be up on Cheyenne Mtn, but there's nothing to suggest on the KTSC website that it will still be used post June 17

So I currently get KTSC (8-1) from Cheyenne Mnt with a signal strength in the 90s...
Post June 17, this will go away and KTSC will only broadcast from Pueblo? This seems rather short sighted and a sure way to reduce viewers for KTSC. I hope they reconsider this plan.

I just wish they would bring back the National PBS Feed that we had for a while. That gave us much more HD content.
post #5965 of 6830 Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:

So I currently get KTSC (8-1) from Cheyenne Mnt with a signal strength in the 90s...
Post June 17, this will go away and KTSC will only broadcast from Pueblo? This seems rather short sighted and a sure way to reduce viewers for KTSC. I hope they reconsider this plan.

I just wish they would bring back the National PBS Feed that we had for a while. That gave us much more HD content.

I agree 100%. Getting the National PBS feed (even if over satellite) would be so much better than what we get over Rocky Mtn PBS, particularly since I think we're not getting all the HD programming the national feed provides. I remember the days when KTSC was not part of RMPBS. Often their programming was much better than KRMA. Remember the days when PBS showed a full line up of quality programming: Mystery, American Experience, Nova, Nature, Masterpiece Theater, Great Performances and other special programs. All were marquis programs, now look at the schedule. Sad isn't it.

As for the future, I'm hoping to get some straight answers on RMPBS OTA DTV plans soon. It would be really annoying to hear that their only OTA DTV signal for Colo Spgs will originate as Ch 8.1 from Pueblo. Instead of one discreet UHF antenna here in my appartment pointed at Cheyenne Mtn, I might need a VHF and UHF antenna aimed in seperate directions (if I can even see the Pueblo transmitter) which could raise the management ire. But then Ch 11 will be VHF too. *sigh* At least it will be on Cheyenne Mtn and I suspect a UHF antenna will give me enough signal. More to follow as I hear it.

Cheers
post #5966 of 6830 Old 03-08-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:

\\

KRDO is available in HD on Dish, now.
post #5967 of 6830 Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoost View Post

I am located in Briargate, and was considering the following antenna for attic placement: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=C4

I live in Briargate and yesterday put that antenna in my attic. All signals in the 90s. I'm not done making sure it's rotated just right yet, so that number might get higher. Other than the roofing materials, I have unobstructed views of Cheyenne Mountain. Everything seems to come in great.

Scott
post #5968 of 6830 Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinkel View Post

\\

KRDO is available in HD on Dish, now.

but not on Direct, right?
post #5969 of 6830 Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

but not on Direct, right?

Nope.
post #5970 of 6830 Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Was channel surfing this morning and noticed that both CBS and Fox (and subs) jumped from the mid 80's to mid-high 90's in signal strength. The CW show that's on is being broadcast in 16:9, with decent quality SD and same with MyKKTV.

This should be good news for anyone that's a long way from Cheyenne Mt.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page