Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 6840 Old 09-30-2003, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, ok. I think I'm confused because of a typo.

A couple posts up you said the "Broncos game two weeks age."

I'm guessing you mean the Bucs.

Go Broncos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 6840 Old 10-01-2003, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
HDNet is the best HD channel out there. Better picture quality than ESPNHD, and excellent sports programming.

HD Hockey starting with the Avs game Oct 10!! I have no regrets going to satellite. In a year when Adelphia starts to catch up I may consider going back.
post #573 of 6840 Old 10-01-2003, 08:09 PM

I don't think I would go back, if nothing else, just out of principle. I've had so many problems dealing with Adelphia...
post #574 of 6840 Old 10-03-2003, 07:27 AM

Looks like I may be relocating to Colorado Springs. Anybody here have any luck with DTV reception in the north Black Forest area?
post #575 of 6840 Old 10-03-2003, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MalcolmG
Looks like I may be relocating to Colorado Springs. Anybody here have any luck with DTV reception in the north Black Forest area?

I'm just south of County Line Rd between Furrow and 83. I just hooked up the other night and was pleasantly surprised to receive both 11 and 21 with a $7 set of amplified rabbit ears sitting on top of the monitor.

YMMV, of course.

Chance
post #576 of 6840 Old 10-05-2003, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone been watching the recent playoff baseball games on Fox? Not a single one has been in widescreen, and I'm not sure if they are supposed to be, but they audio is DD. Only the games and other EDTV material has the DD audio, so I'm thinking they are supposed to be widescreen. Can anyone confirm that they were supposed to be?

Also, I saw a local commercial on Fox about the SAP issue, so it has to be a real problem, but I doubt it is what caused the programming last Sunday to have no sound because there has been sound with no changes on my end ever since.

Go Broncos!
post #577 of 6840 Old 10-05-2003, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

I thint that I read in the HD programming area that the World Series would be in widescreen but the playoffs would not.

Roy
post #578 of 6840 Old 10-05-2003, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just checking in...

Anyone check with Adelphia on their HD rollout?

I will tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone else had done the legwork.

THANKS!!!

JOHN

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #579 of 6840 Old 10-05-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Roy is right, World Series only in "Fox widescreen". http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=307094 Even the ESPN games won't be HD on ESPN-HD. This thread talks about how it's still not cost-efficient to produce games in widescreen or HD. Gotta love living on the bleeding edge.
post #580 of 6840 Old 10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

*sigh*, I can't believe the lost on a return for a touchdown that should have been brought back at the 2 yard line due to a blatant block in the back that took two Broncos out, and a missed fieldgoal. Not to mention the plague we still have with actually catching easy interceptions... and the almost made Ashley Lelie catches of which 2/3 shoulda been caught.

KKTV had pixelation the whole game. I wonder why they are not giving the signal enough bandwidth? There used to be no pixelation so they lowered the bandwidth without adding any channels which makes no sense to me, but I don't really know much about it anyway.

Go Broncos!
post #581 of 6840 Old 10-05-2003, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was returning my cable modem to the Adelphia office the other day as I was moving out of the city, and I thought it was funny that one of their saleswomen was telling a customer about "all of their high definition" channels. Wow, a whole 3 channels, plus one digital one with a serious audio sync issue.
Now that KXRM is getting full-time exposure with Adelphia, you'd think they'd fix their equipment configuration and get that audio sync problem taken care of after all of this time. I bet after enough complaints starting going to Adelphia about it, KXRM will eventually address it.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #582 of 6840 Old 10-05-2003, 06:28 PM

Vaggeto,

You said it man. The broncos were by far the better team today. I'm surprised the announcers didn't say anything about the block that sprung hall for the game winning touchdown. All I can say is the game in denver will be a much different story.

-Mike
post #583 of 6840 Old 10-06-2003, 07:57 AM

KKTV always does one channel whether it is standard or high
definition in 1080i and 19.39 MBps. Unfortunately, some bandwith restrictions are occuring from the live event back to the CBS operations
center in New York. It's probilibly an economic thing in trying to do two
HD live events on the weekends. Broncos will be in HD AND 5.1 surround
next Sunday.
post #584 of 6840 Old 10-06-2003, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm...
The exact same game over D* satellite looks exactly the same on still pictures, and doesn't have the pixelation on moving ones. Are they somehow an exception, and getting the signal before the CBS operation center cuts the bandwidth on it? Also, other OTA people aren't seeing this pixelation. I somehow have a hard time believe it originates at the original signal since other sources don't have the problem.

Go Broncos!
post #585 of 6840 Old 10-08-2003, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello all -

Picked up the Adelphia HDTV box last night. So far, so good - HBO-HD looked amazing, even with a less than spectacular film, REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES. Yes. there are only 4 channels (HBO, SHOWTIME, FOX and KKTV), but they assure me there will be plenty more by Christmas (we'll see).

Two gripes - very little actual HD content on SHOWTIME, and I cannot get the DVI output to work!

Anyone else tried Adelphia HD?

THANKS!!!

JOHN

JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
post #586 of 6840 Old 10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Seems you're the first here to try it out :-)

I would like to just to test and compare quality, but I'll be sticking with D*.

What do the HD channels cost additionally?

Go Broncos!
post #587 of 6840 Old 10-08-2003, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

You got me! With all of the "package pricing" it's nigh impossible to figure out what costs what. All I know is that my cable bill went up $30, but part of that is because I added Showtime.

JOHN

JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
post #588 of 6840 Old 10-08-2003, 10:17 PM

There may be a switch on the back of the box to change to DVI - there was on my Sony D* receiver. I'm watching Adelphia closely to see where they are at next summer. They need to get all the local channels AND everything that D* has for me to consider switching back. I haven't had a good experience with them at all.
post #589 of 6840 Old 10-09-2003, 12:10 AM

I also just got adelphia hd in Fountain Colorado. I haven't tried the dvi yet. I have a work order for a tech to come out and adjust my signal this saturday. All my lower end channels have snow and are horrible. The high def is very nice though. What is the channel number for hbo hd? It is not showing on my guide. Thanks.

Oh btw....the hdtv receiver and remote are $8/month. This is all that is added to the bill. Of course if you want hbo and showtime you have to subscribe to them. Basically if you take back your digital reciever and exchange it for the hd on then you are only paying $4 more / month.
post #590 of 6840 Old 10-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The DVI output on the 5100 is not activated for Comcast or Adelphia users. Check in the HDTV Hardware forum or search for Motorola 5100.
post #591 of 6840 Old 10-10-2003, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally, something live and really exciting on HDNet tonight, Blackhawks at Avalanche . . . and it's blacked out here. I understand protecting local advertisers, but it's torture to force an HD-capable viewer to give up the HD version for a stretched SD version on Fox Sports Rocky Mountain. There ought to be an exception to the blackout rule so you have the right to see the best quality broadcast available based on format and resolution . . .
post #592 of 6840 Old 10-10-2003, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed that HDNet is repeating the Avalanche game now at 10:30 p.m., with no blackout since it's not live. It looks absolutely gorgeous. But of course now we know the final score.
post #593 of 6840 Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 PM

Great picture, great sound of Avs on HDNet. Too bad it wasn't live. The Denver thread isn't too happy either.
post #594 of 6840 Old 10-10-2003, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks good, but not nearly as nice as I remember it looking last year. But it was some of the first HD sports I encountered so that could have some effect.

and only ~36 hours left until our first available HD Broncos!

Go Broncos!
post #595 of 6840 Old 10-11-2003, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, on the KKTV pixelation issue... I don't see how it could be a problem coming from the source signal they are receiving as they said it is.

First of all here's what I'm referring to: "KKTV always does one channel whether it is standard or high
definition in 1080i and 19.39 MBps. Unfortunately, some bandwith restrictions are occuring from the live event back to the CBS operations
center in New York. It's probilibly an economic thing in trying to do two
HD live events on the weekends. Broncos will be in HD AND 5.1 surround
next Sunday."

My main problem with this explanation is this pixelation not only happens on the weekend HD, but on every fast moving program, at any time. Especially on news coverage of football from ground view. This would have nothing to do with the main CBS giving them a limited bandwidth signal. This pixealtion was Not there a couple months ago on the HD or SD.

Another problem is on the D* CBS HD there was very little pixelation compared to the our local KKTV-DT CBS. This tells me it's not a source issue. And lastly I have seen no one else complain about their local station having more pixelation then the D* version.

I really hope they fix this. I wonder how it is with Adelphia?

Also on the KXRM lip-sync... it's still there. I was also hoping Adelphia carrying the digital version of this would also make them get on the ball and get things right, but they continue to have problems. At least with the baseball it's not really noticeable.

One more thing: I'm still testing for our local ABC occasionally and I'm getting nothing so far. Only a couple more days and since it's now a weekend I'm doubting they will be up for MNF.

Go Broncos!
post #596 of 6840 Old 10-11-2003, 09:15 PM

The Avs replay looked awesome. Like BEING at the Pepsi Center in about the 15th row.
post #597 of 6840 Old 10-13-2003, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, we finally got to see a Broncos game in HD! They won, which is even better!

BUT......I have to admit that I was somewhat dissappointed with the picture quality. I'm getting a little tired of the pixazation on the close up shots and on the scenes that have a lot of motion in them. I don't have this problem with any of the HD channels that I'm getting from Dishnetwork, nor did I have this poor of an HD signal when I had the CBS-HD feed from Dish. Guess I should have stayed with the West Coast CBS HD feed. Fox is a joke, I still cant believe they consider their signal to "Enhanced!"

I know I sound like a guy that's not happy unless he's bitching, but Geeze this is getting old!!!!

I hope that somebody from KKTV is actually tuned into this thread and at the very least looks into fixing the problem.

It would be really great to see The Broncos vs. Vikings next week without the PQ issues!

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #598 of 6840 Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it was great to have the Broncos in HD, and frustrating to have to alternate between a beautiful zoomed out picture and terribly pixelated zoomed in pictures. At least I only noticed the audio being way out of sync once or twice (Armen Keteyian's sideline reporting, and maybe a player interview).

Tim, can you figure this out before the Superbowl? Apparently it's only a problem in Colorado Springs, so one would think it could be solved at KKTV.

We still commend KKTV for being the first and only HD OTA signal in town!
post #599 of 6840 Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It was great to finally see them in HD!

The couple times I checked our local KKTV out, I saw pixelation right away. On D* there was the occasional pixelation, seemingly more then normal, but not nearly as severe or frequent as KKTV. So I'm almost positive the "network is sending us an already compressed signal" reason for this pixelation is wrong since no one else is having the problem. One thing I did notice was the KKTV channel was louder then D*. (Both were in DD 5.1)

And it seems the audio problems were part of the production and had nothing to do with KKTV.

I also really hope they get this fixed by the Superbowl since that one won't be on D*.

Go Broncos!
post #600 of 6840 Old 10-19-2003, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I just found out that today's Broncos at Minnesota game is the CBS HD game this week. Didn't expect that. Hopefully we have a decent quarterback show up this week too. Someday we will be able to TiVo our HD programming and then I'll be in heaven.

Nice to at least have "Fox Widescreen" for the World Series last night. But I have got to figure out why my KXRM-digital picture still has the jitters.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page