Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 6840 Old 10-19-2003, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well it seems that KKTV fixed their pixelation problems but their audio seems to drop out or change volume a lot. Did anyone else notice audio problems today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 6840 Old 10-19-2003, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... bad game. We did have a decent quarterback show up though, he just didn't start playing until Bauerline got hurt ;-)
I was impressed for what he did. Before then it seems the Broncos couldn't do a single thing through the quarterback.

Too bad they put themselves in a hole like that. I wonder if they will try to start Bauer again next week.

On the upside... the KKTV-DT signal was much better! It seemed to rarely pixelate just like the D* version. It might have a tiny bit more, but it seems they did something to help.

I did notice the audio clicks and pops, but I think it was also on the D* version.

Everyone check out: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/uniform/r..._michigan.html

:-)

Go Broncos!
post #603 of 6840 Old 10-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rajkej
Well it seems that KKTV fixed their pixelation problems but their audio seems to drop out or change volume a lot. Did anyone else notice audio problems today?

Yeah I did! I kept turning the volume up to hear the announcers, and then got blasted out of the room when a commercial came on.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #604 of 6840 Old 10-19-2003, 10:32 PM

The audio pops/quietness were also on D* 70..
post #605 of 6840 Old 10-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It seemed to switch back and forth between 5.1 and stereo. The 5.1 indicator on my amp remained lit, but the sound from the speakers clearly was not 5.1 at certain times.
post #606 of 6840 Old 10-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm, no action here for a few days. (I've got too much free time at work)

New topic: Voom.

I've been reading about it in the programming forum, sounds like they've got some major issues. I went to Sears to check it out while I was waiting for my car to be aligned last week. They only had one channel working, and it was some artsy-fartsy channel showing exciting footage of a fancy blanket. I have a feeling most of their original programming will be dull at best. More HD movie channels would be nice, but I would imagine they will show random old movies like HDnet Movies does, more miss than hit. I guess if I had money coming out of my ears I might give it a try for more HD, but since I don't, I won't.

Anyone else checked it out at Sears yet? I would hope it is running better now.
post #607 of 6840 Old 10-22-2003, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I havne't checked it out yet. I called Sears and they told me it was up and running around the 16th. But I'm going to wait until everything is working before I check it out. I think I agree about the extra channels, but hopefully they prove us wrong.

Go Broncos!
post #608 of 6840 Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Tonight is the first World Series game that I have checked out in Fox digital widescreen. While not as sharp as true HD, it looks pretty good. The lip sync is still off. Has anyone talked to them about it lately. KKTV audio is always right on.

Roy
post #609 of 6840 Old 10-24-2003, 01:23 PM

I went to the Southgate Sears the day it was released (Wed?) and wasn't impressed. A kid who worked there came over and (I assume) tried to impress me. He stated that his store was the first in the country to have it up and running. *yawn* Anyway, he said the only channel was the demo channel - apparently they couldn't change the channel. The display was on a GWIII and.. another LCD-based display (I think). The PQ on both was horrible, especially when it was displayed right next to their regular HD signal that was on the rest of the TVs. I looked at the back of the GWIII and they had component cables going in, but I didn't have the time to troubleshoot their system for them

I haven't been back there, but I did go up to the Chapel Hills Sears, and didn't see it running - that was a few days ago.

Any word on ABC broadcasting a digital or HD signal?
post #610 of 6840 Old 10-26-2003, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by angilasaurus
Hello all -

Picked up the Adelphia HDTV box last night. So far, so good - HBO-HD looked amazing, even with a less than spectacular film, REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES. Yes. there are only 4 channels (HBO, SHOWTIME, FOX and KKTV), but they assure me there will be plenty more by Christmas (we'll see).

Two gripes - very little actual HD content on SHOWTIME, and I cannot get the DVI output to work!

Anyone else tried Adelphia HD?

THANKS!!!

JOHN

I got the Adelphia HD box last Thursday, and agree that the HBO and Showtime HD channels fantastic, but the Fox and CBS channels don't seem to be any different than before when broadcasting HD shows. I was looking forward to experiencing CSI in HD last week, but it wasn't anywhere close to the quality I'm seeing on HBO and Showtime. Are you experiencing this also? I haven't asked Adelphia about it yet.

Thanks.
post #611 of 6840 Old 10-26-2003, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems odd. KKTV is passing through the HD channels, so I think it would probably be a problem with Adelphia.

Are they showing CSI etc in SD or bad HD? Is it 16x9?

Go Broncos!
post #612 of 6840 Old 10-26-2003, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaggeto
Seems odd. KKTV is passing through the HD channels, so I think it would probably be a problem with Adelphia.

Are they showing CSI etc in SD or bad HD? Is it 16x9?

I sent an email to Adelphia, and am hoping for a response tomorrow. (I didn't bother calling because I figured they wouldn't have someone working to answer a question this specific on the weekend.)
All the listings I've found for CSI say it's broadcast in 1080i, but that is definetely not what it was in last week; it was no different than with the old box. I was also fairly certain that the World Series were broadcast in HD, but same issue there; there were fuzzy edges to the score boxes, etc. So at the moment, I'm paying for the HD box for 4 channels, but only receiving 2 in HD. Both of those are far down the lineup, whereas the two I'm having issues with are local, so it seems to me to be an Adelphia issue. If they write back with anything worthwhile, I'll copy it to here.

(Sorry for the quote inclusion; I was unable to reply without going this route)
post #613 of 6840 Old 10-26-2003, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget Fox only does extended definition... not high definition. So the best you'll see with them is widescreen 480p. I thought it was wrong of Adelphia to advertise them as an HD channel.

Go Broncos!
post #614 of 6840 Old 10-27-2003, 05:57 PM

I got HDTV through Adelphia today. First off, don't call the Adelphia 1800 number and ask for a HDTV Box. I called them, they said I couldn't get HD service in my area. Called local office, they had a different story.

Went to local office, traded in my old box for a DCT6200.

My thoughts.

711-KKTVDT-CBS : Good station. PQ is good. Seems NON-HD programs are being converted to widescreen? I don't get the bars on right and left side.

721-KXRMDT-FOX : Pure crap. Not even a real HD channel.

HBOHD & SHOHD : Amazing.

Ok, so there are not alot of HD channels to choose from. I'm sure over the next year they will add alot more. I'd love to see NBC,ABC in HD.

I did get one thing to make the extra $6.50/month i'm paying worth while. The DCT6200. Talk about night/day from my old DC-Box.

Channels change lightning fast.

Menu/Info/Guide all pop up faster than I can blink when I hit the button.

Guide now holds a weeks worth of data for each channel instead of 36 hours or so like my old box.

Digital Outputs! Imagine that! Digital outputs on a DIGITAL CABLE BOX. haha, my old box just had analog RCA outputs for video and sound. Now i'm running component and optical out. Picture & sounds for all the channels are alot better.
post #615 of 6840 Old 10-28-2003, 04:26 PM

sp0rk--THANK YOU for posting; I had no idea about channels 711 & 721, shame on me for not looking. The tech that brought the box (since I also wasn't smart enough to call the local office instead) didn't have a clue what any of the HD channels were.
How did you find out about 711 & 721 anyway? They're not listed on the last channel listing I received.
post #616 of 6840 Old 10-28-2003, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by smithdj
sp0rk--THANK YOU for posting; I had no idea about channels 711 & 721, shame on me for not looking. The tech that brought the box (since I also wasn't smart enough to call the local office instead) didn't have a clue what any of the HD channels were.
How did you find out about 711 & 721 anyway? They're not listed on the last channel listing I received.

711 & 721 are listed in the onscreen channel guide. Atleast for me.

BTW, what box did you get? I was sort of surprised when they handed me the 6200. People at the adelphia 1800 number said they where using 5100's. That's what I was expecting.
post #617 of 6840 Old 10-28-2003, 06:18 PM

I got the 5100. It uses the same remote as the old digital box, so I didn't have to reprogram my universal remote, but because the processor is so much faster it jumps up 2 channels instead of one. I'll reprogram that feature and see if it helps.
I hooked up the optical audio port immediately too; love seeing that blue Dolby light come on the receiver on some movies.
I've already caught myself watching movies on HBO and Showtime in HD that I normally would skip over, just because the picture is that good...I can see it now, watching a show about snakes on Discovery HD when it's available, even though I hate snakes!
post #618 of 6840 Old 10-28-2003, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

They listed the channels in a Gazette article that I quoted a while back, and they are listed correctly on the Titan TV guide.

Go Broncos!
post #619 of 6840 Old 10-29-2003, 08:22 AM

I went yesterday and got the 6200 box from Adelphia. Well, when I got home and hooked it up, I did not get any channels above 95. Well, I was ticked so I called Adelphia up to see what the deal was and they could not help me with it. Only thing they could do is setup someone to come out on Saturday and fix it up. Well, I took back the box and got another one to see if that would help and it did not. This seems to be a known issue with this boxes. Even the guy at Adelphia when I took the box back knew why I was there. Anyway, anyone have this type of problem or have any ideas how to remedy it?? Or do I have to wait until Saturday? Thanks all.
post #620 of 6840 Old 10-29-2003, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by shippy1973
I went yesterday and got the 6200 box from Adelphia. Well, when I got home and hooked it up, I did not get any channels above 95. Well, I was ticked so I called Adelphia up to see what the deal was and they could not help me with it. Only thing they could do is setup someone to come out on Saturday and fix it up. Well, I took back the box and got another one to see if that would help and it did not. This seems to be a known issue with this boxes. Even the guy at Adelphia when I took the box back knew why I was there. Anyway, anyone have this type of problem or have any ideas how to remedy it?? Or do I have to wait until Saturday? Thanks all.

Same thing here. Got it, hooked it up. Only got basic cable. After an hour or so of waiting I called Adelphia. They where no help. They setup a tech to come the next day.

Then I'd say about 3-4 hours later I went back to check and I had all my channels again. Called Adelphia to cancel the tech call.

Here is my best guess. When you goto the local office and get a new box they fill out a form, write down the serial # of the box, etc. You sign the form then leave.

Really, in the amount of time she took to go in back and grab a box there is no way they set it up.

So a few hours later that paperwork made it's way back to the desk of a tech who then went in and setup the authorization for that box to receive the channels you subscribe to.

So in other words, have patience.

Btw, never call the 1800 number if you have problems with the new HD boxes. After about a 30min conversation with the CS person, I got her to admit that no one there has a clue when it comes to the 5100 & 6200. =/
post #621 of 6840 Old 10-29-2003, 11:24 AM

I'll see what happens when I get home today. As of last night, I did not any of those channels. I was curious if that was the case (authorization of the box) and had a feeling that might be true. We will see. I did leave the box on all night just in case.
post #622 of 6840 Old 10-29-2003, 04:18 PM

sp0rk--I stand corrected; the box is a 6200, not a 5100.
Not that it's important, but any idea if the DVI port is active on this box? I know it's not on the 5100.
post #623 of 6840 Old 10-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if people on this thread know that HDNet production and uplink facilities are in Denver. An AVSForum member in the Denver are has set up a tour for forum members next Wednesday at 4 PM. I will be going. There is room for more Colorado Springs members. If you are interested, check out the announcement towards the bottom of the following page:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...pagenumber=288

Roy
post #624 of 6840 Old 10-29-2003, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Too bad for Adelphia guys that you don't get HDNet. HDNet is simply awesome with the NHL every Tues and Friday, and basketball starting soon. ESPN HD for Sunday night football is the best. HBOHD is a nice channel, but Showtime in general is pretty worthless.

I can't wait to see what will be offered by next Summer. Adelphia better get ESPNHD and HDNet if they want to be competitive; here is hoping it is soon for those who don't have satellite.

HD hockey is the best. Too bad you have to watch the Avs on tape delay.
post #625 of 6840 Old 10-30-2003, 10:55 AM

I spoke with a local Adelphia rep. this AM regarding local HD programming. She said that they are not working off of a specific timeline for introducing HD channels, that they'll be introduced as soon as possible and that the best way to become aware of them is to check the online guide from time to time. Sounds like most channels will be added in the 700-area. Channels such as NBC and ABC will be passed through in HD as soon as the local affiliates start to broadcast in HD. I did my best to convince her that we're all hungry for more HD programming as soon as possible! I know it will continue to get better, but the current selections leave much to be desired.
post #626 of 6840 Old 11-02-2003, 08:30 PM

Is the Fox DTV channel supposed to be so out of sync with audio and video? I haven't noticed the problem on my other DTV channels. And their commercials are in sync....

Jack
post #627 of 6840 Old 11-02-2003, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think so.. it is odd that the commercials aren't out of sync though. I haven't watched it except a bit of 24 since the World Series.

Looks like another MNF without HD or DT. They said two weeks and I think it's been about 4 now. I'll read up and check.

Go Broncos!
post #628 of 6840 Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks like another MNF without HD or DT. They said two weeks and I think it's been about 4 now. I'll read up and check.

Your gonna have a long wait for MNF in HD around here, KRDO has no immediate plans to put an HD signal on the air, Digital yes, but not HD.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #629 of 6840 Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Tebo
GUESS WHAT?

Here is the response I got from Jeff Thomas at KRDO - it looks like we're getting HD Monday Night Football soon! Yeah!

Hi Jeremy:
Thanks for thinking of us at News 13.

Our HD transmission is very close to being up and running. This is an extremely costly operation for a handful of people who have the expensive sets. You may be ready, but the vast majority of viewers do not have the expensive equipment.

Please be patient. It's going to be complete within the next two weeks.

Thanks again for your interest in News 13.

Jeff

Yep, it's been ~5 weeks now. O-well.

Go Broncos!
post #630 of 6840 Old 11-02-2003, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Frank Zimkas
Your gonna have a long wait for MNF in HD around here, KRDO has no immediate plans to put an HD signal on the air, Digital yes, but not HD.

Yah.. but I don't really believe that. They guy that told us that doesn't know the difference in my opinion. He says they'll be doing the same thing as KKTV... upconverting everything.

So you can look at it two ways:
1) He doesn't realize that KKTV does show HD.
2) They'll be doing what KKTV is doing: upconverting normally, and passing HD through when the network gives it to them.

I'll be optimistic and hope it's option #2.

Go Broncos!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page