post #6631 of 6830 Old 12-31-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

I've got a 40' run with no problem. HDMI can generally handle long runs.

I find this comment very misleading. Yes, it *may* work, but HDMI actually does *not* handle long runs very well at all. Some people have had success with 40-50ft runs, but this generally requires high quality, thicker cable and a "strong" source device which plays nicely with display. It also requires a bit of luck too from what I've read. Also keep in mind that it's more difficult to transmit 1080p signals over longer distances than it is to transmit 1080i or lower since they contain more information which requires more bandwidth.

Here's an article which may help:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...n-hdmi-run.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 6830 Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

I find this comment very misleading. Yes, it *may* work, but HDMI actually does *not* handle long runs very well at all. Some people have had success with 40-50ft runs, but this generally requires high quality, thicker cable and a "strong" source device which plays nicely with display. It also requires a bit of luck too from what I've read. Also keep in mind that it's more difficult to transmit 1080p signals over longer distances than it is to transmit 1080i or lower since they contain more information which requires more bandwidth.

Here's an article which may help:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...n-hdmi-run.htm

There's nothing misleading about it. I've used the same run for a PC and a Dish DVR with absolutely no problems. Feed is to a 32" Dynex LCD. In fact, right now it's running off a splitter that feeds from the Dish DVR to the TV and to an AVR.

If you check out some threads on this and other forums, others have the same "luck". I've seen some with runs up to 100' that worked fine. My cable is a good, thick cable, not that expensive (it was $40) and can be bought at a number of places online.
post #6633 of 6830 Old 12-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

There's nothing misleading about it. I've used the same run for a PC and a Dish DVR with absolutely no problems. Feed is to a 32" Dynex LCD. In fact, right now it's running off a splitter that feeds from the Dish DVR to the TV and to an AVR.

If you check out some threads on this and other forums, others have the same "luck". I've seen some with runs up to 100' that worked fine. My cable is a good, thick cable, not that expensive (it was $40) and can be bought at a number of places online.

HDMI cables are spec'd to reach 15m. I haven't run a cable that long, but I know with networking that you can easily exceed the "spec". So you should be fine up to 50ft, after that, you'll need that same "luck" lsilvest has.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

A cable of about 5 meters (16 ft.) can be manufactured to Category 1 specifications easily and inexpensively by using 28 AWG (0.081 mm²) conductors.[57] With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm²) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft.)

post #6634 of 6830 Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post

HDMI cables are spec'd to reach 15m. I haven't run a cable that long, but I know with networking that you can easily exceed the "spec". So you should be fine up to 50ft, after that, you'll need that same "luck" lsilvest has.

Thanks to all for the food for thought. Its not just the electrical/signal concerns of the long run, its also the aesthetics. I'd have to run a cable around a room and past a sliding glass door. Still if anyone knows of an HD DVR compatible for Free to Air satellite reception (not Dish or DirecTV), I'm all ears.

Of course I could put a home theatre PC next to the TV ...
post #6635 of 6830 Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm using a Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD OTA DVR for antenna signals. Works just like their satellite DVR's, only no fees.
post #6636 of 6830 Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else notice the deterioration of pq on KKTV lately (OTA). I noticed it during the college football season watching SEC games. Turned on the NFL game today and it's really poor. Not an equipment problem since all other locals are fine and games on KOAA yesterday were excellent. Their sports used to have great pq. I've even noticed it on their regular shows.
post #6637 of 6830 Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM

OK, Desperate Housewives isn't my favorite show, but the eediots at 13 K DilDO felt the need to chop the first 90 seconds for a Winter Weather update. Why not stomp the credits of the preceding show?

Another reason that 13 is my last choice for news.

www.therenegaderoadhouse.co Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
post #6638 of 6830 Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post

OK, Desperate Housewives isn't my favorite show, but the eediots at 13 K DilDO felt the need to chop the first 90 seconds for a Winter Weather update. Why not stomp the credits of the preceding show?

Because they know you won't be watching the credits.

They do this with all prime time stuff for both weather and just wait until it is political campaign season again.
post #6639 of 6830 Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post

Same for me. So tired of everything they show is "Breaking News" and the constant "More info on KRDO.com". Hey I'm watching the TV channel for news, not my computer..

Why can't Matt Meister(Weatherman) move to another channel, he is one of the best at what he does, but can't stand watching the other reporters on that channel..
post #6640 of 6830 Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Looking at Comcast channel lineups for this area it shows FSNRM in SD, but in the HD it just shows FSN on 665. Can anyone verify if the 665 is in fact FSNRM in HD?
post #6641 of 6830 Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, thought I'd throw this out there for your consideration (hope I'm not breaking any rules!). I've got a large entertainment center for sale -- asking $750 or best offer. It's a George Edward Company Lexington LA3275 model ( http://www.georgeedward.com/r_gecoll...ss=5&idProd=26 ). It comes with two towers (each with lights), top piece with light, and top shelf (this particular unit doesn't have the TV stand). It'll expand to fit up to a 73" tv (I used it with my 61" with lots of room to spare). The slide out sides in each tower fit hundreds of CDs/DVDs. All the lights work and overall it's in great condition -- this is a solid wood, high-quality entertainment center, not like the crap you'll find at Target. I'm highly motivated to sell so make an offer. I'll even deliver in the Co. Springs area!

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #6642 of 6830 Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM

So now that the FCC has approved the Comcast/NBC Universal merger, what do you think the implications will be? I'll venture to say that "net nuetrality" may be at risk and higher fees will be in the cards soon for starters.
post #6643 of 6830 Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

So now that the FCC has approved the Comcast/NBC Universal merger, what do you think the implications will be? I'll venture to say that "net nuetrality" may be at risk and higher fees will be in the cards soon for starters.

They need to clean house at the FCC. Their recent actions and decisions have been a detriment to the consumer and very favorable to carriers. There is no way a provider should be allowed to also control content. It gives them far too much advantage over their competitors and way too much leverage against customers. Comcast already has a license to steal, now they can add rape and pillaging to their arsenal.

I know I have never trusted Comcast, and am sure many of you feel the same. There's a reason they are at the bottom in consumer satisfaction ratings - not just for their industry but for all companies.
post #6644 of 6830 Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They need to clean house at the FCC. Their recent actions and decisions have been a detriment to the consumer and very favorable to carriers. There is no way a provider should be allowed to also control content. It gives them far too much advantage over their competitors and way too much leverage against customers. Comcast already has a license to steal, now they can add rape and pillaging to their arsenal.

I know I have never trusted Comcast, and am sure many of you feel the same. There's a reason they are at the bottom in consumer satisfaction ratings - not just for their industry but for all companies.

Are you suggesting they are planning on buying AT&T? That's the only way they could get lower customer satisfaction scores.
post #6645 of 6830 Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post

Are you suggesting they are planning on buying AT&T? That's the only way they could get lower customer satisfaction scores.

Last ratings I saw they were even lower than AT&T, but you're right, it may be a close call. The sad fact is that the industry itself (cable, satellite and wireless) are all in the lower rungs which I think reinforces my opinion about the FCC not doing it's job.
post #6646 of 6830 Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last ratings I saw they were even lower than AT&T, but you're right, it may be a close call. The sad fact is that the industry itself (cable, satellite and wireless) are all in the lower rungs which I think reinforces my opinion about the FCC not doing it's job.

Agreed. The reason people hate these companies so much is due to their monopoly like control and behavior granted to them by our corrupt government.
post #6647 of 6830 Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't get a response to my question about the pq on CBS, and now the signal disappeared. Rescanned my channels and KKTV shows up as 10.3 and 10.4?

The feed on my Dish DVR is still OK so apparently it's only a problem for OTA.
post #6648 of 6830 Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Didn't get a response to my question about the pq on CBS, and now the signal disappeared. Rescanned my channels and KKTV shows up as 10.3 and 10.4?

The feed on my Dish DVR is still OK so apparently it's only a problem for OTA.

KKTV is UHF now. Physical channel 49.
post #6649 of 6830 Old 01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoViejo View Post

KKTV is UHF now. Physical channel 49.

Yeah, found that out. Knew they were changing at some time. Would be nice if they had posted something on their website beforehand. See that they did put up a notice after I called them. What ticks me off is that they obviously informed the cable/satellite services in advance, but can't bother with keeping OTA viewers up to date.
post #6650 of 6830 Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, found that out. Knew they were changing at some time. Would be nice if they had posted something on their website beforehand. See that they did put up a notice after I called them. What ticks me off is that they obviously informed the cable/satellite services in advance, but can't bother with keeping OTA viewers up to date.

Agreed.

I scanned in the new location on my dish network tuner. They repoint to 10-1 and 10-2 rather than 11-1 and 11-2, also don't identify the channels as KKTV.
post #6651 of 6830 Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

Agreed.

I scanned in the new location on my dish network tuner. They repoint to 10-1 and 10-2 rather than 11-1 and 11-2, also don't identify the channels as KKTV.

They came in at 10-3 and 10-4 at first, then went to 10-1 and 10-2. I use BeyondTV to record OTA and just like Dish they won't have the guide data available until Tribune gets everything updated and everything has to be scheduled manually. I'm sure it's probably the same for anyone using WMC or any other recording program.
post #6652 of 6830 Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Hi - I have TiVo HD and can't get KKTV-HD (channel 11-1) to come in anymore. Tried rescanning channels and no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
post #6653 of 6830 Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPrep View Post

Hi - I have TiVo HD and can't get KKTV-HD (channel 11-1) to come in anymore. Tried rescanning channels and no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

You'll have to get hold of whoever takes care of the guide data for Tivo. Sounds like it's the same as my BeyondTV. They set the guide data according to the physical frequency of the stations. I had to do a manual scan and set up recordings manually until they get the guide straightened out.

No idea who you'd contact for Tivo, though, other than Tivo support. If you do get them, just tell them the physical frequency changed from 10 to 49. Might add that CW is now broadcasting in digital on 57.

Do you have a way to scan without the preset channels to pick up any signal that's there?

Curious if anyone using Windows 7 MC is having the same problem.
post #6654 of 6830 Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tivo website has a form for reporting issues like this.
post #6655 of 6830 Old 01-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Called TIVO support last night and the guy seemed to ask the right questions (seemed like he was typing a ton of stuff while we were talking) so we'll see. He said this usually gets fixed right away and gave me a case number and told me to call back Monday if the issue is not resolved by then.

We'll see what happens. Thanks for the info.
post #6656 of 6830 Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Called TIVO support last night and the guy seemed to ask the right questions (seemed like he was typing a ton of stuff while we were talking) so we'll see. He said this usually gets fixed right away and gave me a case number and told me to call back Monday if the issue is not resolved by then.

We'll see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Try it today. I just rescanned my BeyondTV and Dish OTA and both are up to date for KKTV and my guide data is back. Nothing yet on 57.1 for guide data on either.
post #6657 of 6830 Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Sooo, Ch 11 is now transmitting on Physical Ch 49. Now if Ch 8 would move to a UHF frequency ... Interesting that TV fool still shows KKTV on Physical Ch 10. I get signal strength of 95% + on all local channels with just an indoor set of rabbit ears and UHF loop in my apt. I live 26 miles away and its line of sight with no obstructions. That doesn't mean the PQ is all that great though, either OTA or cable, due to overcompression and multiple channels, like 8.2, 8.3, etc. chewing up bandwidth (PBS is by far the worst ). I'm taking a hard look at receiving it free to air satellite broadcast like Gatoviejo does. Doesn't look like it costs that much - now if I could get a simple DVR appliance ...

BTW, I'm curious - does anyone know where the seconday channels (e.g. 5.2, 8.2, 10.2 etc.) appear on Comcast cable? Thanks
post #6658 of 6830 Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

Sooo, Ch 11 is now transmitting on Physical Ch 49. Now if Ch 8 would move to a UHF frequency ... Interesting that TV fool still shows KKTV on Physical Ch 10. I get signal strength of 95% + on all local channels with just an indoor set of rabbit ears and UHF loop in my apt. I live 26 miles away and its line of sight with no obstructions. That doesn't mean the PQ is all that great though, either OTA or cable, due to overcompression and multiple channels, like 8.2, 8.3, etc. chewing up bandwidth (PBS is by far the worst ). I'm taking a hard look at receiving it free to air satellite broadcast like Gatoviejo does. Doesn't look like it costs that much - now if I could get a simple DVR appliance ...

BTW, I'm curious - does anyone know where the seconday channels (e.g. 5.2, 8.2, 10.2 etc.) appear on Comcast cable? Thanks

5.2 is on cable channel 9 in Colorado Springs. In Pueblo, it's on 247.
post #6659 of 6830 Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

It appears that Directv is now delivering the HD feed for PBS channel 8 in the Springs area. This is the 1st day I have noticed it, so if this old news forgive me.
post #6660 of 6830 Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi-

I use an HDHomerun tuner to watch unencrypted QAM channels (both SD and HD, basically all the local channels) from the Comcast feed. It's worked like a charm for the last 18 months, but sometime in the last few days, it seems all the HD channels won't tune in anymore. The SD channels are fine, I can still pull those in. Is anyone aware of a change recently that would explain this?

Thanks,
Sean
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page