Forum Jump: 

post #6691 of 6837 Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

It's actually on CW which Fox is still showing on their sub-channel. I don't watch that show (didn't watch it in prime time) but have noticed that some shows in SD are being shown in 16:9 on the sub channels and also your TV may be automatically stretching it depending on the settings. You didn't say if you were using a CRT or HDTV, but if it's HD try watching on 57.1 and see how it looks.

Watching on HDTV w/ over the air antenna...I have it set to not stretch. I'll check the 57.1 next time. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6837 Old 09-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have my TV set to stretch automatically and I rarely watch any SD, but I have noticed that the PQ on the local SD subs if far better than any SD from cable/sat, especially Concrap. I have a 42" plasma and generally on the locals it isn't so bad I can't watch it which isn't true with my experience with cable/sat.

Which makes me curious about your user id since the HD (with the exception of CBS) on the locals is excellent.
post #6693 of 6837 Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Which makes me curious about your user id since the HD (with the exception of CBS) on the locals is excellent.

lol....when I created my user ID the HD wasn't that great.
post #6694 of 6837 Old 09-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Changes, mostly good with KOAA retiring News First 5 for simply News 5 or KOAA 5. Among the good: ending the heavy tint scheme over still promo shots for programs. The worst or perhaps unfortunate choice was the green tint over a still shot for The Savage Kitchen segment that airs during the noon newscast.
"The Savage Kitchen will make you turn green," an unidentified cynic said between urps. "Or see red with Dr. Phil," he continued.

The "NEWS" logo for NEWS 5 has an N that looks like it has depth but the rest of the letters don't. Same with the "KOAA" logo, depth for just the K and not for the other letters. Otherwise, they could be nice looking. Right now though, particularly when they show as corner bugs, they look disjointed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
post #6695 of 6837 Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Hello everyone.

I just signed a contract on a house on the westside of Colorado Springs, by Garden of the Gods. What can I expect as far as OTA signal levels? I had been using a couple of cheapo antennas inside my house, connected directly to my TV for HD when I lived in Fort Worth. Is the signal strong enough in the city where they will work well here, or should I start looking for an exterior antenna?
post #6696 of 6837 Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsrock78 View Post

Hello everyone.

I just signed a contract on a house on the westside of Colorado Springs, by Garden of the Gods. What can I expect as far as OTA signal levels? I had been using a couple of cheapo antennas inside my house, connected directly to my TV for HD when I lived in Fort Worth. Is the signal strong enough in the city where they will work well here, or should I start looking for an exterior antenna?

I don't live in Springs, but the signal strength is excellent 35 miles away in Pueblo West. It will probably depend on your los to Cheyenne Mountain where all the towers are located. This thread is relatively quiet anymore, but hopefully someone is still watching that lives in your area. I remember some had problems when they were close to the mountains and were blocked.
post #6697 of 6837 Old 09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hello everyone.

In that area it really depends on what side of the ridge you are on. Can you see the antennas on top of Cheyenne Mountain? If you are south of the ridge, I think you'll be OK with a cheap antenna. If you are north of the ridge, it doesn't matter what antenna you have, you won't get anything.

Scott
post #6698 of 6837 Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post

In that area it really depends on what side of the ridge you are on. Can you see the antennas on top of Cheyenne Mountain? If you are south of the ridge, I think you'll be OK with a cheap antenna. If you are north of the ridge, it doesn't matter what antenna you have, you won't get anything.

Scott

Bummer. I'm on the north side of the ridge.
post #6699 of 6837 Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bummer. I'm on the north side of the ridge.

I'm not sure what ridge he is talking about. I live by the Garden of the Gods, in Manitou one block west of the Colo Spgs line, and get all of the digital channels ota just fine with a rabbit ears antenna.
post #6700 of 6837 Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM

If this map of KOAA's signal coverage is any indication, you should be fine with indoor rabbit ears as well. All stations show a strong signal to Garden of the Gods, even the low power ones.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...=1143275&map=Y

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6701 of 6837 Old 10-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Ooops, when I mention Garden of the Gods, I mean Garden of the Gods Road. The closest main intersection would be Garden of the Gods road and Centennial.

I'll just have to wait til I move in and try my indoor antenna. Hopefully I will get signal.
post #6702 of 6837 Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 PM

If you live north or east of the intersection, you should still be fine. The only problems would be if you're in the hills to the southwest of the intersection.

If you follow the link I provided and zoom in over your area, you can get a better idea of what to expect. Best of luck!

post #6703 of 6837 Old 10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Just noticed channels 51.1 and 51.2 KWHS popping up on my antenna feed. It's basically a religious station. Not sure if they existed before in analog but they have some good family programming including some good oldies (Bonanza, Happy Days, etc.) and quite a few children's shows. Programming is the same for both channels so don't know if one is intended for HD in the future?
post #6704 of 6837 Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM

That's a LeSEA station. LeSEA = Lester Sumrall Evangelistic Association. Otherwise known as World Harvest Television, the stations usually feature a "WH" combination in the call letters. Programming is a mix of Christian and family-friendly fare.

The station had been in analog on channel 51 since summer 1995, and just made the switch to digital this month.

LeSEA used to own channel 53 in the Denver area, but sold it to Libermann Broadcasting last year. As of September last year, LeSEA still aired on 53.2, branding as KWHD 53, its old calls while under LeSEA ownership, while 53.1, now KETD, airs Estrella TV.

post #6705 of 6837 Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

I have a complete C band satellite system with 10 foot fiberglass dish, dish mover and tuners to get analog and digital TV signals. Such systems can no longer be used as an alternative to cable or dish network/Directv but is still a hobby for picking up various wild feeds. Multiple HD and SD channels from PBS are in the clear.

I no longer use this system so I'd like to know if anyone is interested in it enough to come and pick it up. Since it still works, it would be nice if somebody could make us of it. There are good sources on the internet for learning how to find the feeds that are up there. I'd be happy to demonstrate for anyone interested. Moving the dish would require a truck and at least 2 guys.
post #6706 of 6837 Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm moving to Upper Skyway in 2 weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of what OTA reception I might receive?

Builds: 
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
 x 5. 
post #6707 of 6837 Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM

Has anyone heard anything recently from KRDO regarding them EVER going to Dolby Digital 5.1?!?

It's ridiculous that they have not done this already!

PS Network Name: radckh
post #6708 of 6837 Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post

Has anyone heard anything recently from KRDO regarding them EVER going to Dolby Digital 5.1?!?

It's ridiculous that they have not done this already!

2 years ago they said they'd have it done last year. It was a matter of money and the excuse for that was the money was all spent on their news in HD. Funny the other stations managed to get theirs in HD without sacrificing the audio enhancements.

All we can do is contact them and complain which doesn't seem to do much good. I informed them that I would not watch their news until they get Dolby (which was no problem since I don't like their news anyway). If we can get enough people to join in they may decide it's worth it.
post #6709 of 6837 Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:

2 years ago they said they'd have it done last year. It was a matter of money and the excuse for that was the money was all spent on their news in HD. Funny the other stations managed to get theirs in HD without sacrificing the audio enhancements.

All we can do is contact them and complain which doesn't seem to do much good. I informed them that I would not watch their news until they get Dolby (which was no problem since I don't like their news anyway). If we can get enough people to join in they may decide it's worth it.

Feel exactly the same....My 2 reasons for not watching:1 everything they do is "BREAKING NEWS" and 2 Eric Singer...
post #6710 of 6837 Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM

Anyone interested in a 55" Mitsubishi RPTV (WS55313) that is still in great shape? I bought a 55" 3D LED recently and was going to put the Mits in the basement, but I don't think I can get it around the 90 degree turn near the bottom of the stairs.

So make me a reasonable offer, bring a truck, and it's yours...

PS Network Name: radckh
post #6711 of 6837 Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Liked: 13
Comcast has finally added BBC HD to channel 741, also HUB HD and some sports channels. 6 in total. A number of subscription HD channels have been deleted and moved to on demand as well.
post #6712 of 6837 Old 12-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks idividebyzero! Between Dr. Who and Top Gear my DVR will be very busy.
post #6713 of 6837 Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

I have a complete C band satellite system with 10 foot fiberglass dish, dish mover and tuners to get analog and digital TV signals. Such systems can no longer be used as an alternative to cable or dish network/Directv but is still a hobby for picking up various wild feeds. Multiple HD and SD channels from PBS are in the clear.

I no longer use this system so I'd like to know if anyone is interested in it enough to come and pick it up. Since it still works, it would be nice if somebody could make us of it. There are good sources on the internet for learning how to find the feeds that are up there. I'd be happy to demonstrate for anyone interested. Moving the dish would require a truck and at least 2 guys.

Well I got no takers so, when I got my new Sony XBR-65HX929 (Discounted replacement for my defective Sony KDS-R60XBR2) I connected the big dish HD tuner to the new tv. The picture was perfect, so I'm keeping it for now.
post #6714 of 6837 Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM

The low power HD signal for KXTU (CW Network) which had been broadcasting on channel 57 seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know about this?

The SD KXTU subchannel on physical channel 22 is still there.
post #6715 of 6837 Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoViejo View Post

The low power HD signal for KXTU (CW Network) which had been broadcasting on channel 57 seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know about this?

The SD KXTU subchannel on physical channel 22 is still there.

It disappeared from my tuners on my pc also. I called them and they installed a new transmitter and changed the frequency to 20 but 57.1 is still the designation. My software program for the pc has to make the change before I can tune them in again.

I have a 42" plasma that's about 6 years old and it won't pick it up anymore. A 32" in my bedroom and 26" that are both relatively new do pick it up. They claim the signal should be stronger but if that were true my plasma would still be tuning it in.

You'll need to rescan to get it in most cases.
post #6716 of 6837 Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a 42" plasma that's about 6 years old and it won't pick it up anymore. A 32" in my bedroom and 26" that are both relatively new do pick it up. They claim the signal should be stronger but if that were true my plasma would still be tuning it in.

Are you using the same antenna mounted in the same location when comparing the TV's reception ability?
post #6717 of 6837 Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post

Are you using the same antenna mounted in the same location when comparing the TV's reception ability?

Yep, same big outdoor albatross I've had for 6 years. Have always gotten great signals. I have a channel master preamp that has been excellent. In fact, the weakest signal I have would be the 26" TV in my guest bedroom which has the most splits going to it and it still picks it up fine. I was setting up a pc for my grandkids yesterday and it has a tuner so I was setting up WMC in Win 7 and it wasn't getting KXTU either.

My 32" Dynex really has a good tuner. Before KBDI put in their relay I actually picked up their signal from Denver occasionally since they were on the same los as Cheyenne from me.
post #6718 of 6837 Old 01-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep, same big outdoor albatross I've had for 6 years. Have always gotten great signals. I have a channel master preamp that has been excellent. In fact, the weakest signal I have would be the 26" TV in my guest bedroom which has the most splits going to it and it still picks it up fine. I was setting up a pc for my grandkids yesterday and it has a tuner so I was setting up WMC in Win 7 and it wasn't getting KXTU either.

My 32" Dynex really has a good tuner. Before KBDI put in their relay I actually picked up their signal from Denver occasionally since they were on the same los as Cheyenne from me.

I suspected as much recalling previous conversations. I didn't know that even with ATSC the set plays a big role in reception.
post #6719 of 6837 Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:

It disappeared from my tuners on my pc also. I called them and they installed a new transmitter and changed the frequency to 20 but 57.1 is still the designation.

No luck for me so far on channel 20. I am using a CM4228 with a direct line of sight from the Black Forest. The channel 57 signal was marginal but usable; I see that I am losing a few dB with the lower frequency on this antenna.

I wonder if a 91XG would do the trick. Now that KKTV is UHF I no longer have to care about VHF performance.
post #6720 of 6837 Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoViejo View Post

No luck for me so far on channel 20. I am using a CM4228 with a direct line of sight from the Black Forest. The channel 57 signal was marginal but usable; I see that I am losing a few dB with the lower frequency on this antenna.

I wonder if a 91XG would do the trick. Now that KKTV is UHF I no longer have to care about VHF performance.

That confirms my thought that the signal wasn't as strong. You may want to call their engineer and tell him. I don't think I was getting through - you know, the not our fault, must be your equipment routine.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page