Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 229 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 6843 Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On a related Colo Spgs Comcast topic, it appears we are at the center of a battle between Centurylink and Comcast. Ran across an August ArsTechnica article which provides more information. According to the article Comcast is attempting to keep Centurylink from installing fiber (at least in parts of the city).

Comcast allegedly trying to block CenturyLink from entering its territory
CenturyLink says it will get worse if Comcast is allowed to buy Time Warner Cable.
See: http://arstechnica.com/business/2014...its-territory/

Apparently Comcast is using all kinds of delaying tactics. Centurylink claims they do not have this problem in AZ with Cox cable where they are putting in a similar system.

This squabbling adds more fuel to the fire about treating internet "last mile" access as a utility like a phone line in my opinion. Its not a luxury, its a necessity given how much financial and Government business is transacted over the internet. The internet is not just for entertainment. It has evolved in a similar manner as the telephone network from a novelty to necessity and should be treated in the same manner.

I noticed the old D11 Boces school (alternative HS) on Wooten has been taken over by Pauley Construction, often used by Centurylink for cable buildouts, and they have a massive fiberoptic materials stockpile. Since I only live about a mile from a central office, I'm hoping I can get fiber to the house very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6843 Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Keep in mind that 4K isn't going to be receivable with an antenna anytime soon, if at all. Cable and/or satellite will will be the only way it's distributed for the forseeable future.
If ATSC 3.0 gets finalized and approved OTA will be able to have 4K, but it certainly doesn't work with ATSC 1.0. There are broadcast groups that want to roll out ATSC 3.0 before the end of the decade. Satellite I doubt will ever have 4K (to any real extent) due to band width restrictions, and cable would have to be a fiber to the home connection. You can do a lot with 1 Gbps!

It's 2015 and you're still paying for television?
post #6843 of 6843 Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post
This squabbling adds more fuel to the fire about treating internet "last mile" access as a utility like a phone line in my opinion. Its not a luxury, its a necessity given how much financial and Government business is transacted over the internet. The internet is not just for entertainment. It has evolved in a similar manner as the telephone network from a novelty to necessity and should be treated in the same manner.
But utilities are government protected monopolies. The whole reason that we are in this mess is that Comcast/Adelphia has been a government "chartered" monopoly. Are you old enough to remember when AT&T was a government protected monopoly and 5 minutes of long distance cost $11? That was back in 1980 when money was worth something. Now I get unlimited talk, text, and web for less than $45 a month. What we need are laws that give ISP's equal access so that they can compete, just like what happened when MCI won its lawsuit against AT&T, and the government broke it up.

It's 2015 and you're still paying for television?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception