Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 6830 Old 11-12-2003, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great!

I checked today and came up with nothing on 24. Wish I woulda caught it. Did you see how strong the signal was compared to the other channels?

Go Broncos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 6830 Old 11-14-2003, 09:40 AM

Where are the KKTV, KYRM, and KRDO transmitters and how much power. Live in Castle Rock (high ground just east) and trying to see if I can receive. Of particular interest will be KRDO as it is an ABC affiliate! Thanks!!!
post #663 of 6830 Old 11-14-2003, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

skyview - All 3 transmitters are on Cheyenne Mountain (I believe), at the southwest edge of Colorado Springs. If you haven't seen the earlier posts, KXRM (Fox) and KRDO (ABC) are digital but seem to be planning HD for at least 9 months from now, if not much longer.
post #664 of 6830 Old 11-14-2003, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Just ran a scan and pulled in KRDO! It displays as channel 13-1 (my Samsung doesn't display the channel 24 data). It's a soap opera right now, not stretched. I think the picture looks nearly identical to my regular KRDO feed from DirecTV so it's hard for me to say if they are really upconverting to a better PQ.

I wonder if they will leave the test signal transmitting over the weekend. Doubtful probably, but it would be nice to check out a prime time show and see if they send the 16x9 version.
post #665 of 6830 Old 11-14-2003, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Dito.. it comes in as 24 on signal meter, and when you go to 24-1 it remaps you to 13-1. I originally tried 13-1 and it was blank, but I didn't wait too long before tryig 24-1, so it might work.

As far as signal strength I'm getting 93 on CBS, 100 on Fox, and 100 on KRDO. It doesn't look like an upconvert though. Looks similar to Fox's digital with better colors but not nearly as much of an improvment as KKTV. I only saw a commercial though, maybe the shows will be better.
Also, the commercials were stretched, so I'll judge the the picture quality in a minute for the shows.

Edit update:

The channel is still going strong. I'm about 99.9% sure it's not an upconvert now. They stretch everything automatically like KKTV, and the channel is a decent improvement over the analog version. The audio seems the most improved though. 2.0 dolby digital that sounds MUCH better then the analog counterpart.

Also... I'm noticing a few weird video glitches. There seems to be some weird vertical lines mainly seen around faces. Not too apparent, but I see them. Also, it seems there is a ghosting effect to the right of images that goes out about 1-2" on my 65" RPTV.

Go Broncos!
post #666 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

I took a look at it yesterday and only had a signal strength of 50-55%. Other than being stretched, no diference from their NTSC broadcast. Time to start sending emails and requesting that they jump on the "HD BUS"!!

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #667 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 04:43 PM

Thanks for into, not able to get any at this time at my Castle Rock location... will monitor thread for updates...
post #668 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The channel was off air a bit after midnight last night. But it is back today. Looks like it's fully up and running.
Now I need to find out what shows ABC does in HD and hope :-)

Go Broncos!
post #669 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

The wonderfull world of Disney tonight will be in HD on the network. On their web site, their daily schedule indicates which shows are in HD. The web site is at http://abc.go.com/

The signal is coming in well for me also. The picture is not stretched right now. I'm not counting on KRDO passing through the HD signal any time soon. I would love to be wrong.

Roy
post #670 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... the signal is stretched right now for me, and was 30 minutes ago, and has been everytime I have checked.

Are you sure it was like our fox digital with the black bars?

I'm also not planning on the show in a few minutes being in HD, but I do hope it is.

Go Broncos!
post #671 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 06:59 PM

Too bad they "have no current plans for HD"..

Anyone know a status for PBS/NBC?
post #672 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 07:33 PM

I just bought a Terk TV-55 antenna to test out HDTV reception - it's a small unidirectional with preamp (green, yellow, light green). I have a HDTV monitor, but not a tuner yet so I went to a friends house to try it out. All I can say is WOW!! HDTV is way better than DVD quality - the football game was broadcasted in HD on channel 10 (10.1) it was easy to get that station, but we couldn't get FOX channel 22 (21.1) at all (mostly due to location). If nobody has posted this web site, it was almost invaluable to me. It will give you the direction for each station, and what type of antenna you need for each channel. It's based upon your address and includes data for obstructions (my friend was way closer and has obstructions) and I can vouch for the data being fairly accurate due to my signal strength compared to his and what the web site reported. I don't have 5 posts yet, so it won't let me give you a hyperlink - you have to type it yourself - sorry.

Check it out:
antennaweb.org
post #673 of 6830 Old 11-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

www.titantv.com indicated that PBS (KTSC) is "Under Review." The last date that was shown a week or two ago was 1 Nov. 03. The channel is supposed to be 26, but it doesn't show up when I scan with my receiver.

NBC (KOAA) still hasn't done squat to get on the air. The FCC yanked their tower permit quite a while ago due to possible interference with another channel outside of our viewing area. It took them years to get their signal strength up to a level that made their station watchable so I can't imagine them moving very fast at all.

post #674 of 6830 Old 11-16-2003, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I double-checked tonight, and the KRDO-DT signal displaying as channel 13-1 is stretched or non-stretched depending on the Format mode of my Samsung SIR-TS160 receiver. I displayed the music awards show tonight as 16:9 Full and it was stretched to widescreen; 16:9 Pillar Box and it showed a 4:3 picture in the middle of the screen with gray bars on the left and right sides; and finally 16:9 Zoom which was zoomed in and you'd never want to watch it this way. Interesting that the choice of stretching is different from the comments of others above. Must be dependent on capabilities of the specific tuner.

This signal sent by KRDO-DT is different than the digital signals sent by KKTV and KXRM because on their channels the Samsung has no control over the stretching. KKTV-DT is always stretched for 4:3 material, and KXRM's digital signal has black bars for 4:3 material. I've always assumed the KXRM is actually sending the black bars as part of a 16:9 picture, since no setting on the Samsung or on the TV can change them. I think both my Samsung and my Mits TV are set to produce gray bars rather than black.

So far, this aspect-ratio flexibility is the only good thing I can see about the KRDO digital channel. The PQ is horrible, and it's not real 16x9, so what's the point of being digital? Maybe this is just their first technical step towards bigger and better things...
post #675 of 6830 Old 11-16-2003, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The picture is terrible. Almost as bad as cable. Colors are the only improvement.

I'm guessing your box is receiving the 480i signal and lets you change it.

I'm not sure if I can. My E86 runs in stretch mode 99% of the time, and I know on HD sources I can't change the viewing mode. I'm not sure if fox digital is 480i, but I thought it was and that it adds the black bars. I'm confused now though. I thought I could change viewing modes on 480i sources. But I can't on KXRM and KRDO is now off air, so I can't test. But since some are reporting it's not stretched, I'm assuming it was my box doing the stretching.

Go Broncos!
post #676 of 6830 Old 11-16-2003, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Come to think of it, Fox digital is probably 480p and that may be why no one can stretch it.
post #677 of 6830 Old 11-16-2003, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Most likely... but then that messes up another assumtion I have always had.

When a Fox 480p widescreen program comes on, the picture quality of everything, including the commercials gets much better. So because of this I have assumed the standard channel was in widescreen 480i.
If they are always 480p, then there must be another reason for the picture quality increase.

Go Broncos!
post #678 of 6830 Old 11-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

KRDO-DT is now listed, along with KKTV-DT and KXRM-DT, in the digital channel list for Colorado Springs on www.titantv.com.

It identifies which shows are in HD even though KRDO is not passing through the HD signal. This makes it easy to identify what we are missing.

Roy
post #679 of 6830 Old 11-22-2003, 07:16 PM

KRDO-DT
Is this channel up or what?
I get KKTV just fine here in Castle Rock, I tried today, and nothing.

I think my Italian Greyhounds are reall baby goats....
post #680 of 6830 Old 11-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

KRDO-DT is on the air, but they are not broadcasting any HD programming nor are they planning to in the foreseeable future.

post #681 of 6830 Old 11-22-2003, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder what happened to them claiming they would be upconverting?

The channel looks extremely bad to me. Probably worse than the compressed cable or D* version.

Go Broncos!
post #682 of 6830 Old 11-23-2003, 07:15 AM

Thanx Frank, just strange, I can get all of the digital stations here inDenver except KMGH (ABC) nor KRDO (ABC). Hmm, I think there's a connection there. After almost three years after I jumped into the HDTV world, I have yet to see ANY ABC SHOWS IN DIGITAL . It's kinda of sick.

I watched a few of the WB's shows this week, EVERWOOD. REBA, nice stuff.

I can get NBC digital here also, so here's a question for ya, so do I have to see pigs fly to see a digital signal from KOAA any time soon?

What about KTSC? PBS is usually on the digital bandwagon.

I am still waiting on UPN here also, sometime soon maybe?

I think my Italian Greyhounds are reall baby goats....
post #683 of 6830 Old 11-23-2003, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

KOAA is not making any great strides toward DT. Their tower plans fell though and I haven't found any info that leads me to believe that they are going to be on the air anytime soon.

It seems that we are stuck in an endless loop. Local broadcasters don't want to make the investment because of the cost and they seem to think that no one in our little burg owns an HDTV. Retailers are not selling as many HDTV's as they could if more stations were broadcasting an HD signal. Those of us that adopted the format years ago are running out of patience because we've had a taste of what is available so now we are hooked like a back-alley junkie! We'll do just about anything to get a "fix!!"

So what do we do? HD on satelite works for me, but of course I'm a greedy HD bastage and I WANT IT ALL!!!! Keep sending emails to the stations in our area, perhaps they may actually read them on occasion. We all need to help ourselves as much as possible here folks. How many people that read/follow this thread actually take a few minutes of their time to contact the KOAA, KRDO, KTSC, etc. and let them know you are a faithfull viewer that wants to see their programming in HD? A show of hands please....hmmm! Not to many!!!

There have been lots of links/email addresses posted in this thread. Go back a few pages, pick one and fire off a polite mesage.

To quote John Belushi, "Who's With Me?!?!"

post #684 of 6830 Old 11-23-2003, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully pretty soon I will start a Colorado Springs DTV website with all the contact information etc...

About PBS:

I've seen a commercial from them specifically advertising HDTV sponsored by someone. I forget who though. The commercial shows the difference between SD and HD etc... I was hoping that meant they were at least into getting HD up and running.

Go Broncos!
post #685 of 6830 Old 11-23-2003, 05:28 PM

I have been scanning for KRDO-DT and am not getting a signal. Are they on 24 hours a day, all week. And if so, what are their power numbers compared to CBS or FOX. My system says I have a signal strength of 58 for CBS on channels 10 and 50 for FOX on channel 22. I looked at channel 24, but my receiver doesn't see a signal there.

Thanks,

Jack
post #686 of 6830 Old 11-23-2003, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems they weren't up yesterday, but right now I am getting a 100 signal strength.

Go Broncos!
post #687 of 6830 Old 11-23-2003, 07:14 PM

I'm just north of the AFA, so I don't expect to get a strong signal, I'm just wondering if KRDO is broadcasting DT with full power yet? since I don't get any signal.
post #688 of 6830 Old 11-24-2003, 10:51 AM

Found this page:
http://www.rmpbs.org/status/

and in particular:
http://www.rmpbs.org/status/messages/155.html

"Posted by KTSC Engineering on November 07, 2003 at 16:53:12:

STATUS REPORT: KTSC Engineering Manager Ian Hartley reported today that mechanical modifications were completed at the KTSC transmitter building to provide ventilation for the new KTSC digital transmitter. The transmitter itself is in place awaiting the cooling, electrical and RF connections.

Testing of the transmitter is scheduled for mid-November, and the on-air date could come as early as December 2003.

Pictured: Cheyenne Mtn Tower that will hold the KTSC-DT transmit antenna. "
post #689 of 6830 Old 11-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Nice work PlayDoh. Glad to see DTV still picking up around here. Now if we could just get KRDO to "keep up with the neighbors" (KKTV) and get HD...
post #690 of 6830 Old 11-24-2003, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Great... I hope they still consider this testing. I had figured it was since they only have it on until 11PM, but I second guessed that because TitanTV etc lists it as up and running.

Go Broncos!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page