Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The game looked pretty damn good with my new DVR...let me rephrase that...the picture quality is better than expected, the game was MUCH WORSE than expected.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that game wasn't one you'll want to save for long. But it would be great to be able to pause and record HD. I'm going to hold out for DirecTV's HD-Tivo which is supposed to be out in the next 3 months.

KKTV picture quality was great except for sideline shots as always. Even the sideline shots that aren't fast moving are so blurry they're almost like SD instead of HD. I thought the fast motion was the cause of maxing out the MPEG encoding rate which therefore lost resolution due to the compression. Well now there's a long time until the next Broncos game, but I guess we'll deal with it for the Superbowl.

CBS ran a nice promo spot with HD clips from every prime time HD show they have, and they all looked amazing. PQ looked better to me than when I have come across the actual shows in prime time.

Time for the next station to come online in HD. Wonder how PBS is doing.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

hehe... not too much to say about the game. Seemed about the same to me as the other Bronco games in HD on CBS.

PBS is now at the "several weeks" they talked about... so they should be testing very soon if they stuck to plan.

Go Broncos!
Old 01-06-2004, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

I tried tuning into KRDO-DT last night around 10:30 pm and was not able to get a lock on the station using my 921, tried on a second TV with my 6000 and saw 0 signal strength. Can anyone else confirm whether KRDO-DT is on the air for me?

Old 01-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

It was in and out for me last night. So was KKTV-DT, and it was also having trouble with the audio. It seemed like both stations were sending a weak signal, but I'm not sure. Normally I can pick up all 3 digital stations with my antenna behind my TV, last night I had to put it on top of the TV and it was still cutting out. Man that sure looks tacky to have a big ugly antenna on top of a nice TV.

Is anyone else annoyed that we have to use an antenna after all this time without one? Local HD via satellite would be so nice. Free OTA HD is nice, but antennas are a pain.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the same problem with KRDO-DT at around 10:30. They musta shut down early.

Go Broncos!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed the same problem with KRDO the night before you guys did, but wasn't sure if it was my antenna or the station. My new 80-inch Radio Shack antenna usually receives it, where the previous little antenna didn't.

Tonight KRDO was back to its normal 36% signal (normal for me up north here, but it does hold a picture). At whatever point in time down the road when they send a digital or HD picture, hopefully they can crank the signal strength up because it seems to be weak in many areas of town right now.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah I tried it yesterday evening and got zip.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

If any of you folks have been considering purchasing anything from The Sound Shop I think you might want to read this first.
http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/...threadid=15101

I can guarantee you that I won't be spending anymore money there!!

Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 AM

Bummer, Frank... I've never shopped there, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, that's quite a situation you've got there. At least you've got the internet to vent, 10 years ago you might have exploded. My already low productivity here at work just fell off the charts as I read through that post. It sounds like Anthem is as much if not more to blame for your crappy experience. I just can't fathom spending that much on a pre/pro in the first place, but I'm sure I will get there as my age and income grow.

I have always been happy with them, although I haven't spent anywhere near $3k with them. I'm thinking about getting some Paradigm speakers from them sometime soon, I guess maybe I should reconsider. I think they are the only Paradigm dealer in town though, so that might be a problem.

Good luck getting that resolved.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow Frank... that's terrible. Who's your sales guy? Definently won't be dealing with him at all.

Also.. if you hadn't gotten it back by now, if you paid by credit card I was going to say a chargeback is in order. Even if you don't go through with a chargeback, if that's a possability, they will be a lot faster about what they do to help you because they know they could lose the whole $3000.

Go Broncos!
Old 01-08-2004, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Also.. ever hear about the Trouble shoot Tom Martino?
http://troubleshooter.com/
If you had called him, it might have got on and he would have talked to someone who could tell you why you were waiting 53 days for something that nothing was fixed on.

Here's an example:
"John electric wheelchair broke down. He took the chair to the warranty company to have it repaired. John says when he brings his chair in for repairs they take an average of 30 days to fix it. John says he doesn't want that to happen this time.

The warranty company had the wheelchair functioning and returned it to John the day after we called! John thanked Tom for his help!"

Go Broncos!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:09 PM

Hello all,
I may be moving to the CO Springs area soon from the Jacksonville FL area and was wondering without reading 39 pages of posts what the HD scene is like up that way? Believe it or not, HDTV is playing a large role in my moving plans! If you don't want to post here please feel free to PM me.
Thanks
Jamie

Jamie Crane
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha... I could see how HD would play a role in moving. I know it would for me unless satellite HD really picks up.

I could understand why you wouldn't want to read 39 pages... so pretty soon I will setup a Colorado Springs DTV website

Here's the basic overview:
Our Fox(KXRM): Is digital and is good about showing all widescreen shows appropriately. But they send out a widescreen with balck bars 480i picture which isn't too much better then the analog version except for the colors. (for regular broadcasts)
Our CBS(KKTV): They are a widescreen stretched 1080i all the time. They have been up for awhile now and are running pretty smoothly. Some poepl sitll have a bit of pixelation, but it's not bad, and they claim to be sending out a full signal. We have one guy from CBS who posts here occasionally.
Our ABC(KRDO): Sending a very poor digital signal. Some here don't receive it well, and it's only a analog 480i signal picked up OTA and then sent out digitally. No HD from them yet.
Our NBC(KOAA): No digital yet, they are the worst around here. We don't expect too much from them anytime soon.
Our PBS: Their antenna should be up right about now, and they should be broadcasting anytime now. They say they will be HD.

Go Broncos!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:33 PM

Thanks!!

Jamie Crane
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Frank, your situation is rough. Anthem should have treated you better too. It still seems like you should get a new unit instead of the lemon.

For balance, I've had good experiences overall with about $10K of purchases and wiring/install work by The Sound Shop. They've never tried to push me to buy anything beyond my needs or budget, and the instances of loaner equipment and repair on my Integra DVD have gone well.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Tallguy,
I'm glad that your experiences were good and I hope they continue to be so if you choose to do more business with them. I won't be going back.

KRDO info
I sent an Email to Charlie Upton at KRDO regarding the signal problems some of us have been experiencing. Here's the Email and his response.

There have been no changes here at KRDO. We are on with digital from 6:30am
till approx. 10:40pm C Upton KRDO-TV

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 7:47 AM
To: c.upton@krdotv.com
Subject: Digital signal lost

I haven't been able to lock on to KRDO's digital signal lately. Is it still
on the air?

Old 01-08-2004, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mind relpying to him asking him why they pick those hours? They cut off the Jimmy Kimmel show with that timing.

Go Broncos!
Old 01-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Vaggeto,
I sent a "Reply" and will post the response when I get it.

Old 01-09-2004, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I emailed Charlie Upton too to see if they're going to boost the signal power later and to see if they now have a time frame for HD. You would think they could estimate it down to the quarter or the year by now. But if you thought that, you would be wrong:

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 8:21 AM
To: c.upton@krdotv.com
Subject: Viewer question - digital signal

Mr. Upton-

I just upgraded my antenna and am now barely able to pull in your digital signal on 13-1 at 36% signal strength. I'm on the north end of town with a pretty good look at the mountains. My question is, will KRDO increase its signal strength later when you start broadcasting HD/720p? Also, when do you think the HD signal will actually begin, based on the station's current plans? You're probably aware that the current 480i digital signal looks about the same to us HDTV owners as the regular analog signal.

I really appreciate your attention to these 2 questions. Alias and Monday Night Football would look incredible if we could get them in HD! Thanks.

Subject: RE: Viewer question - digital signal
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:53:08 -0700

You are correct 480i is the NTSC analog quality. The only improvment is the lack of artifacts produced by the analog transmission system. HDTV will be some time yet. It requires and upgrade of our entire system. We will probably increase power at the same time. No target date has been set yet. C Upton
Old 01-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Super weak with extra weak sauce. I wonder why KKTV has the money to broadcast in HD, but KRDO makes it sound like it would take an act of God? Heck, even PBS is going to start, I can't imagine they have a ton of money. I guess for now all we can do is write an occasional email to them letting them know we're waiting.

Screw it, I'm moving.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

hmm.. I read from another member here that they talked their local newspaper into having an article about stations not in HD or digital, and he said results were very good. Maybe we can get The Gazette to write an article about how HD on CBS is so great, and then mention how NBC and ABC are so terrible :-)

Go Broncos!
Old 01-09-2004, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Vaggeto, my thoughts exactly -- I was thinking today that it's time to write an email to Warren Epstein, the TV guy at the Gazette. Seems to me like HD would be a great subject for his TV column. And if he would write the current state of all the local stations, maybe even with some "regular people" quotes from HD junkies like us, that might embarrass KRDO and KOAA into keeping up with the Joneses (KKTV, KXRM).

If you guys want to do it too, I'm pretty sure his email address is wepstein@gazette.com. Let's post any responses we may get from him.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright... I'm all for it. I was also thinking the Hausted guy, who does the weekly tech article.

Go Broncos!
Old 01-09-2004, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that's Bill Husted's syndicated column from the San Jose Mercury News, but we should double-check.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Warren Epstein is no longer the TV guy. He did too good a job. He was promoted to being the editor in charge of the Friday magazine GO. He is a good guy who still might respond to an e-mail. I think that the current TV reporter is a woman but I don't remember her name.

Roy
Old 01-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Frank Zimkas
Vaggeto,
I sent a "Reply" and will post the response when I get it.

And here it is...

Frank: The DTV system is new and still being tested. As with many
companies, much of our operation is either run or monitored by a computer
and we have only limited staff on duty during the late night hours and on
weekends. We want to have a real person watching the DTV equipment for the
first few months. C Upton

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 5:56 AM
To: Charlie Upton
Subject: RE: Digital signal lost

Mr. Upton,
Thanks for quick response!! Mind If ask why you don't have the DT signal on
24 hours a day?

Makes sense to me.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep... o-well, at least we have a reason.

I just wonder what happened to their we won't be HD, but we will be doing just what KKTV is doing and upconverting 24/7.

Hopefully they are still testing the "new" system, and will eventually get to that before all HD locals are available on satellite.

Go Broncos!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I read in the DirecTV threads, HD locals aren't planned for very soon. It's going to take many years and several more enormous-bandwidth satellites before either Dish or DirecTV can put the hundreds of HD locals across the U.S. up there.