Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 6837 Old 01-10-2004, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hehe... I know :-)
But at their current rate D* might have time for another satellite after the current two new ones they plan to start using.

I guess I was stretching it... but it seems that they have no hope to improve. From what C Upton says, it seems that they are happy where they are at.

Go Broncos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 6837 Old 01-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I'll bet dollars to donuts that KRDO's stance is $$$ driven my the owner(s) more than anything else. Just a guess mind you. i think it's safe to say that it's a given that the conversion to DTV from analog is expensive, but doing half the job and broadcasting an HD signal may bite them in butt. I for one, would rather watch an HD broadcast on CBS or FOX than a Standard Def. progam on ABC. It's too bad because ABC does have a few programs that I'd love to watch in HD, not just MNF.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #783 of 6837 Old 01-10-2004, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the same for me. I find myself watching a lot more CBS then NBC/ABC because of the quality. Even on SD broadcasts.

Go Broncos!
post #784 of 6837 Old 01-10-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, exactly the point that I hope would wake them up if they read it in the paper.
post #785 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
Haha... I could see how HD would play a role in moving. I know it would for me unless satellite HD really picks up.

Here's the basic overview:
Our Fox(KXRM): Is digital and is good about showing all widescreen shows appropriately. But they send out a widescreen with balck bars 480i picture which isn't too much better then the analog version except for the colors. (for regular broadcasts)
Our CBS(KKTV): They are a widescreen stretched 1080i all the time. They have been up for awhile now and are running pretty smoothly. Some poepl sitll have a bit of pixelation, but it's not bad, and they claim to be sending out a full signal. We have one guy from CBS who posts here occasionally.
<<snipped>>

Thanks for the straight forward info, Vaggeto! I'm not the original poster, but like him.... I'll be moving to The Springs soon and was wondering what the 'real' HD situation is locally. It's a little disappoining that the area affiliates are slower than other cities in the HD signal change over. I currently live in Las Vegas, and the big 3 (plus PBS) are HD OTA. Before that, I lived in Orange County CA, where everything was available in HD.... even UPN and WB!!

Anyway.... I'll be buying a home in the Powers & Constitution area this summer. Is anyone having trouble receiving HD OTA in that area?

Thanks!

-Paul E
post #786 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have contact info at KOAA? (NBC) I'm trying to remember what, if any, response we have heard from them. Something about the tower rights? Maybe it's time we start busting their chops too. Something along the lines of "It's too bad you can't keep up with a first-rate station like KKTV." At least KRDO is fully aware that we're impatiently waiting.

These stations need to realize that HD viewers in general have more disposable income and should therefore equate to higher advertising dollars. These are kind of people who would drop $3k on a pre/pro or $10k+ on a home theater.
post #787 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

I posted on their forum a few times.
http://www.koaa.com/community/listen...sp?FORUM_ID=12

post #788 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

"We have seen some movement in the DIGITAL TV for COS, we should see our construction permit (CP) in 1-6 months. After the CP is issued construction can begin, 6-9 months at best after construction beginis, weather permitting, KOAA-DT 5 should be on the air. SUMMERY: KOAA DIGITAL 5 on-air 7-15 months (AUG04-MAR05). ALL of this "INFOrmation" has been posted on or "INFORMATION" page at http://www.koaa.com/info/ since October."

I guess that's the latest on KOAA.
The website says they hope to have the contruction permit by Feb-April.
I wonder why the FCC would take so long to approve this if they are the ones requiring it be done?

Go Broncos!
post #789 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

I was looking around that sparsely populated forum and found:

KOAA and HDTV - Updated 10-21-03
KOAA currently does not have a construction permit (CP) from the FCC to begin construction of KOAA-DT (KOAA's HDTV).
The FCC has shown some movement in the area so it is possible that with in 4 to 6 months KOAA will have our CP for KOAA-DT. Construction will begin immediately after the CP is received and we should be on the air in less than a year after that date.

I guess this is the same thing we talked about months ago. Another big helping of Super Weak with extra Weak Sauce.

EDIT: Damn, you beat me to the punch!
post #790 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

lol :-)

I really don't see any reason why they would be forced to wait 4-6 months for a permit though. Anything that takes that long nowadays shows it's an old system where people expected to wait. Now everything is done quickly. I really hope it doesn't take 4-6 months to pass a few papers back and forth and for someone to look at the site. Although I have no idea what it really includes, so I'm only guessing. I would think something like this should take 2-3 weeks.

Go Broncos!
post #791 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

If memory serves, the original permit was yanked by the FCC because there was a signal overlap problem with a western slope channel. I can see from a dollars and cents stand point why this was a boon to KOAA, it gave them more time to upgrade and they didn't have to shellout the cash to go Digital. the down side is that we HD early adopters are out in the cold with regards to NBC-HD programming. To bad we can't get an expemption to the SHIVA act and get NBC-HD via satelite/cable.

you have to wonder if KOAA could push their permit request through quicker?

post #792 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 04:02 PM

I'm new to the forum (just got my MIT65869 hooked up with a Moto 5100). I notice you folks discuss mostly OTA issues. Is there another area to discuss questions I have about how my set is working with Adelphia? Don't want to sidetrack the thread.
post #793 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Your in the right place!

post #794 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It's welcome, and is actually the perfect place for it. There are a few here with the adelphia HD service already.

Go Broncos!
post #795 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Last I heard, the Adelphia boxes from Motorola didn't support Firewire. (Although they may be on the newer boxes but are not activated or something...) If anyone using Adelphia HD finds out [down the road] that there's a cable box out there with Firewire enabled, that would interest me because of having a Mitsubishi RPTV with Firewire in but no DVI in
post #796 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:45:47 -0700
Subject: Re: A reader's idea for an article on HDTV in Colorado Springs

We've written small articles about HD at KKTV, etc. But you're right --
the time is right for a big Life cover on the subject. Thanks for the idea.

Warren Epstein
Gazette A&E Editor

You the man, Warren!
post #797 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually encouraged by the KOAA info. Yeah, it's not soon enough (it never is), but at least they're moving on it and publicizing what's they're planning. Hopefully they've built a lot of cushion into their time schedule just so they can beat it rather than risk missing it.

Either way, it will eventually put some pressure on KRDO, unless they don't mind being in last place to all of their competitors. I don't know if they are just being tight-lipped about their plans, or are they going to hold onto every nickel for as many years as they can.
post #798 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Well done tallguy!! Now you need to turn Warren on to this thread!!

post #799 of 6837 Old 01-13-2004, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I did give him the link in my original email to him. Hopefully he'll use our brilliant comments as research!
post #800 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow... much more then I expected. This is great :-)

Go Broncos!
post #801 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Way to go, TallGuy!

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #802 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just thinking, drvais would be proud of us for contacting KRDO and the Gazette. How's the HD scene in Belgium?

We need a volunteer to contact the PBS affiliate and see when their testing is REALLY going to start. Anyone? I can't remember the call letters right now...
post #803 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
PBS is KTSC. HDTV is non-existent here in Belgium (thank the good Lord for D-VHS). In fact, I think I'm the only one with an actual HDTV in this entire region of the country. I keep hearing about euro1080 satellite HDTV, but I'm at a loss to find any electronics stores that knows anything about it, let alone know what HDTV is. They are practically in the stone age around here when its comes to cutting edge technology. Heck, I freak people out when I bring my Palm into a grocery store with my grocery list. As you can read in this thread, I found a military store selling D-VHS decks, but the store clerk told me that no one has ever bought or inquired about one.

The best of luck, Colorado Springs!

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #804 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
Last I heard, the Adelphia boxes from Motorola didn't support Firewire. (Although they may be on the newer boxes but are not activated or something...) If anyone using Adelphia HD finds out [down the road] that there's a cable box out there with Firewire enabled, that would interest me because of having a Mitsubishi RPTV with Firewire in but no DVI in

Tallguy/Vaggeto,
Thanks for the reply. Here's my experience with Adelphia so far.
1. Poor, really poor knowledge and training of the technician. I had to tell him how to hook it up. After 5 telecons to Adelphia and CBS as to why I wasn't getting a HD picture, I finally happened upon this forum to discover that there was a set up menu for the 5100 that allowed you to set the output (MIT required 1080i). Problem solved.
2. CBS--all primetime looks very good, film like. However, sports are superb! Watchedthe AFC playoff games and was really amazed--wife said the players looked like Playstation 2 charactors they looked so different. ONly complaint is that during the KC game all the red in the stadium and in the uniforms really maxed out the 5100 processor (too much red push?)
3. PBS. Adelphia says the are up and running but they don't show up on in my DTV channels--don't know the story here.
4. NBC. Not available but Adelphia says by 1 Feb. Doesn't make sense if they haven't even got a permit for an antenna--maybe the will simulcast the network feed to cable before the can do OTA?
5. I split the cable before the STB to make use of the tuner in the MIT, results in better analog performance. Downside is it often causes a hard lock up of the TV when I switch between ANT and DTV inputs. I remember reading about this somehwere here but can't find the posts now that its happening to me. Any ideas?
6. DVI and Firewire. I have firmware version 5.02 believe you have to have 6.XX to make it work. Don't know status on this but expect its far away.
7. DOn't subscribe to any Premium so cant comment on their HD peformance.

Thanks!
post #805 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 12:02 PM

Very nice, TallGuy..

As far as Adelphia goes, I am convinced they know nothing - they're the main reason I switched to D*. And despite their satellite bashing commercials, I've had MUCH fewer problems with dropouts now that I have D*.
post #806 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

If they ramped up their HD offerings to include ESPN-HD, Discovery HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, I would go back to them. HD is the whole reason I went to D* in the first place. I'm already paying too much for my cable internet by itself.
post #807 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 04:28 PM

http://www.rmpbs.org/status/messages/168.html

STATUS REPORT: The KTSC digital transmitter was tested late in 2003 and is awaiting installation of the new digital transmit antenna. To make space for this antenna, three other FM antennas on the Cheyenne Mountain tower had to be moved to make way. The tower rigging crew worked on that project over the holidays on days when the weather permitted climbing. They may finish on Friday, January 9. If so, installation of the KTSC-DT antenna will start, weather permitting, the week of January 12.

[They seem to be updating their website pretty frequently, whenever something happens.]
post #808 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool... I checked today and am getting no signal.

Go Broncos!
post #809 of 6837 Old 01-14-2004, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link and update on KTSC, PlayDoh.

Soon I'll have to figure out if I'm mature enough to actually watch PBS instead of the less intellectual stuff on other channels...
post #810 of 6837 Old 01-19-2004, 06:59 AM

I live on the north side (about Voyager and interquest). I was planning on getting a good directional antenna (all stations are at 180degrees from my house) and putting it in the attic. What have others done and what success have you achieved?

--Ron
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page