Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey TallGuy, I saw where you pre-ordered the HD-TiVo. Same here! Now to wait and wait....

Chance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 10:43 AM

HI everyone,

Just an update for Adelphia HD box users. Although Adelphia is listing ABC in their HD line up you will notice the PQ is no better than SD. I called the engineer at ABC local affiliate and he told me they were not broadcasting in HD at all. So why is Adelphia saying it's HD? Fox is pillarboxed at 480P except for a few things that get fed at 720P like the playoffs, and PBS, also in their lineup, is non-existant, but it's supposed to be on 708. CBS is picture perfect and so is HBO HD.

Does anyone have any info on ABC's ETA on HD? They are not saying much on their website. I know PBS is working on it and NBC is awaiting a permit?
Thanks for any extra info.

Cheers!
Joanr
post #813 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You should threaten Adelphia with a false-advertising lawsuit. 10 Euro says you'll win, or at least get some free service for a while in order to shut you up.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #814 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

10 Euro :-)

Are you sure Fox is sending out 480p on Adelphia? or is it just a pillarboxed widescreen 480i? I notice the quality goes up on their commercials when something 480p comes on. So I was pretty convinced that they are only sending a 480i unless it's an EDTV program on. Have you tried calling Adelphia and ask them why ABC it's not HD when they say it is? It bothers me that they list ABC in their HD lineup, when you already get an ABC of the same quality on basic cable.

Go Broncos!
post #815 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 02:41 PM

I have the exact same Adelphia experience--no PBS, ABC is SD and off the air much of the time, I can't tell what the &(*&(*& FOX is doing, and CBS is as advertised and superb. The difference between watching the AFC and NFC games was huge--I didn't realize how much more interesting the game is in HD. Sometimes the FOX broadcast seemed decent, but when they went to a full field view, it looked worse than the analog FOX feed. I have called Adelphia and don't expect alot of help--they said PBS was up and promised to "pint my box" again to make sure it showed up as 708. That's when I went the Joanr route and started calling the engineers at the affiliates-at least you know what's coming out of their pipe.

All that said, I don't have any update, but definitely find myself watching alot of CBS and waiting for DVI/Firewire technology to make it to the front range.
post #816 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drvais
You should threaten Adelphia with a false-advertising lawsuit. 10 Euro says you'll win, or at least get some free service for a while in order to shut you up.

I'd love to have a 10 euro note to show my 7 year old, but I don't want any free service from Adelphia--what I pay for is painfull enough.
post #817 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 03:58 PM

Is Adelphia promising HDTV or DTV? There's not a whole lot they can do if the local affiliate is just broadcasting a converted SDTV signal to meet the station's DTV broadcast requirements. HDTV is just one of the DTV options.

And I'm still sitting here, only able to scan two digital signals. I wonder if PBS will broadcast DTV with any power?
post #818 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rvaniwaa
I live on the north side (about Voyager and interquest). I was planning on getting a good directional antenna (all stations are at 180degrees from my house) and putting it in the attic. What have others done and what success have you achieved?

I live in the middle of Gleneagle with a decent but not perfect look toward Cheyenne Mountain. I've tried several antennas in the attic and outside and had the best overall luck with an 80" Radio Shack mast antenna. Finally got all 3 stations consistently, even the wimpy KRDO (480i) at 36% signal strength. I thought the concrete roof tiles and stucco/mesh would mean a poorer signal in the attic than outside, but it turned out height and direction were the most important things (and I couldn't put the big ugly antenna high outside with the covenants around here).

Remember that in COS you need VHF and UHF. And avoid the Terk TV-55 antenna. Horrid.
post #819 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by chanceG
Hey TallGuy, I saw where you pre-ordered the HD-TiVo. Same here! Now to wait and wait....

Yeah, the only thing better than HD is watching HD when I want to, with no commercials, and never missing a great HD show because I'm busy or not home... I might be able to watch HD for the majority of my TV-watching. Hopefully the D* HD-TiVo is truly as bug-free compared to the new E* 921PVR as the rumors say.
post #820 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Adelphia is ignorant to put out misinformation like KRDO/ABC is in HD. Even saying it's DTV would be misleading since it's just an upconvert. I'm going to ignore Adelphia's HD attempts completely until they at least get ESPN-HD and Discovery-HD. Of course, I don't have much choice now that I've spent the bucks on the DirecTV HD box.

Adelphia raised my bill (for PowerLink and basic cable) by $12/month this month, when their rate letter had said an increase of $3/month. I called in and they almost didn't believe I had a letter from them for the $3 increase. They wouldn't even honor it, but gave me a 10% discount just to go away. They told me to take their letter in to one of their offices, as if I should have to take an hour and do that. Incompetent.
post #821 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

lol

Well... if Adelphia says they now have PBS in HD, (which really only means digital to Adelphia) maybe they started their signal?

I just checked and no luck. I am getting CBS and Fox at 100 though, and ABC just recently went off.

Something I noticed on Sunday: My CBS signal sometimes drops to 53-68, but I have never seen any breakups on it. The ABC signal has never budged from 100, and Fox also drops down sometimes like CBS.
Since I am pretty close, and have a good line of sight, is it possible that my CBS/FOX signals are too strong?It seems that when there is snow/rain/wind that my signal is 100, and when it is nice out, it is lower. This is why I'm wondering if it can be too strong? I've tried to check when the signal is low based on weather conditions, but haven't had any luck finding predictable results.

On another note: I wonder how that article is coming along? I didn't write him since it seems that your single mention of it had him wanting to do it, but I wonder when it will be printed? Also, does anyone have any contact information for KXRM? I'd like to see if they are capable of going to HD when it happens, and see if they have any plans on upconverting anytime soon. I would really like at least a 480p signal all the time since I know they are capable of that, and it does look a lot better.

Go Broncos!
post #822 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

And more good news from PBS/KTSC:
http://rmpbs.org/status/messages/196.html

"Posted by KTSC Engineering on January 19, 2004 at 18:51:54:

STATUS REPORT: Riggers completed installation of the new KTSC Channel 26 digital transmit antenna on Friday, January 16, 2004 (see photo). Located at 140 ft above ground on the KTSC tower atop Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs, the new antenna is the final component of the KTSC digital television (DTV) system to be installed.

KTSC's DTV transmitter was installed and tested in December, 2003.
Testing of the complete DTV plant should be complete within two to three weeks. Barring complications, Rocky Mountain PBS will begin DTV transmission in Colorado Springs and Pueblo in February."

Go Broncos!
post #823 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

That's cool, I heard PBS has some nice looking demo loops. Someone should forward that link to the non-HD station guys and say, "Look, Sesame Street is passing you up."
post #824 of 6830 Old 01-19-2004, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I also heard that... but then I also read "those loops are long gone"
So I'm not sure if they are playing them anymore. Supposedly some of the best HDTV around though, so I hope we get a chance to see them. Even if they replaying them so much we hate them.

Go Broncos!
post #825 of 6830 Old 01-20-2004, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Good job, KTSC. So it can be done, even at a station without an enormous budget.

Hopefully the Gazette is working on an HDTV feature, and I would think it would take several weeks to get it all together. I don't think I should write Warren Epstein back until 1-2 months have passed.

Interesting that KTSC keeps saying "DTV" and not "HDTV". Hope that doesn't mean no HD.
post #826 of 6830 Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 AM

I hear ya TallGuy, Adelphia is keeping their tech support people in the dark. I called the 888 number last week and the guy was baffled as to why he was getting so many calls from the CS market re: HDTV problems. I told him about my ABC/engineer converstation and the guy went numb. I really feel bad for those employees who want to help but are just not informed of what the company is doing regionally. One gal told me to take the box back because of no PBS HD. I told her they weren't broadcasting HD locally yet and she was dumbfounded. It's a joke. She went on to say how this was such a new technology and it would take awhile to work the bugs out. Yeh, on our dime.

Anyhow, re: FOX, it is a mixture of 480i and 480P depending on the programming. Once in a great while you'll even get something in 16:9 at what appears to be 720P but Fox in general is not broadcasting HD yet, only in a few markets.

And yes, Adelphia is advertising HD, not just DTV, that's why they are charging more bucks for the HD MOT box. They are claiming to have Fox HD, ABC HD (not), CBS HD (yep) and PBS HD (not), and then the premium HD like HBO and Showtime HD which are just fine. They do admit that all shows will not be in HD even on their HD channels, (which we know of course), but they have no excuse for the false advertising of PBS and ABC. N'uff said, it just gets me a little irked. I'm sure they'll get it together sometime this year or next, as soon as the affiliates start HD transmissions. And no, they are not piping network sat feeds from ABC, there is just NO HD on their ABC channel. LOL!!!

Cheers!
Joanr
post #827 of 6830 Old 01-20-2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
Hopefully the D* HD-TiVo is truly as bug-free compared to the new E* 921PVR as the rumors say.

I hope so too. In regards to the 921, check out http://www.vssll.com/921issues.html

Chance
post #828 of 6830 Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
Interesting that KTSC keeps saying "DTV" and not "HDTV". Hope that doesn't mean no HD.

I think they actually know what they're talking about, from the update site and past posts I've seen from/about them..
From the Dec 3 post there:

Quote:

Initially the station will transmit a simulcast of programs appearing on KTSC analog Channel 8. However, work is underway to get Rocky Mountain PBS HDTV signals to the transmitter early in 2004

So they seem to know what's up.
post #829 of 6830 Old 01-20-2004, 03:08 PM

It was just anounced that the State of the Union address will be
broadcast in high definition on CBS / KKTV-DT tonight 7:00 PM.

Tim T
post #830 of 6830 Old 01-20-2004, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads up, Tim!
post #831 of 6830 Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joanr
Anyhow, re: FOX, it is a mixture of 480i and 480P depending on the programming. Once in a great while you'll even get something in 16:9 at what appears to be 720P but Fox in general is not broadcasting HD yet, only in a few markets.

And yes, Adelphia is advertising HD, not just DTV, that's why they are charging more bucks for the HD MOT box. They are claiming to have Fox HD, ABC HD (not), CBS HD (yep) and PBS HD (not),

Fox is never 720p or HD, so that one's overstated too.
post #832 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Adelphia has signed a deal to distribute HDNet and HDNet Movies.
post #833 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm... Just need ESPN-HD and Discovery-HD now and they get my subscription back.
post #834 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 11:22 AM

Will the HDnet stuff be free or premium with the HD box account? Dare we hope to get anything without yet another additional charge? What would be great is to bring us all the HD stuff including HBO HD and other premium HD for one monthly rate instead of forcing us to take all the HBO just to get HBO HD. I'd rather pay a little more for the HD box and get a deal like that. But what they will probably do is charge for HD "anything" that isn't available OTA. If I had the money I'd get Vroom or whatever it's called.

BTW, Fox does broadcast in 720P to a very few markets right now. If the local is capable of passing this through, you will see 720p 16:9, but only occasionally. How did you get the playoffs? I could not use the aspect zoom function on the TV during the playoff last weekend, it's always disabled on that component input when it detects a HD signal, so that tells me it was coming through as some variety of HD. It was 16:9, not pillerboxed 4:3 and didn't look half bad. I'd jhave to say it was in 720P.
Anyone?

Cheers!
Joanr
post #835 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

All of the Fox football I've seen here this year on 21-1 was 16:9 480p, I'm pretty sure. It didn't have the detail or sharpness of an HD picture. I kept checking http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300612 throughout the football season and they always showed CBS and Monday Night Football as HD, and Fox as "EDTV".

On my TV and Samsung HD tuner, I can't change the aspect ratio of HD signals and regular digital signals, such as DVDs which are 480p or Fox when it's 480p.

You're right, Adelphia and DirecTV both would make us happier throwing in HBO-HD or Showtime-HD with their HD packages and not make customers buy the expensive HBO packages, but they must be making more money that way. So I haven't gotten HBO at all.
post #836 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joanr
BTW, Fox does broadcast in 720P to a very few markets right now. If the local is capable of passing this through, you will see 720p 16:9, but only occasionally.

You're partially correct. Some local broadcasters are capable of sending a 720p and 1080i signal, and do. But they upconvert all the time. There has only been One test of HD for Fox, and that was Independence Day(the movie) a very long time ago. They don't have the technology to send these shows out in HD yet, so no one is seeing them in HD.

Go Broncos!
post #837 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

The new season of Sopranos is coming up in March, Tallguy. No redblooded American should miss it, especially in HD. That will be worth the subscription alone.
post #838 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't bring myself to jack the satellite bill from $64 a month to what, $100? Of course, as always, you can justify it by saying it's a drop in the bucket compared to what you've already invested in the home theater. "Go on, self, you deserve it..."
post #839 of 6830 Old 01-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Might as well "git er done." I think mine is something like $65 with HBO and HD. Tony is gonna send out his goons if you don't...
post #840 of 6830 Old 01-23-2004, 05:55 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=355365

I don't think I would be to quick to jump on the Adelphia bandwagon right now.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page