Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ryttingm

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/new...ils.asp?ID=123

The interesting part of the article is this paragraph:

"An agreement has been reached with Crown Media for lease of a state-of-the-art broadcast/studio facility at its Greenwood Village location for both standard and high-definition telecasts, as well as for uplink facilities, transponder space and other administrative and technical aspects of building, launching and operating a regional sports network."

Hmmmmmm. High-definition

-Mike

I wonder what that will mean for us down here in the Monument & CoSp area? I would love to be able to get the majority of the AVS games OTA, especially in HD. FoxSports Net is THE only reason I still have cable. If not for that, I would go completely OTA, and maybe look at VOOM. (Not sure SAT is an option for me at all given my LOS.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6840 Old 02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the chances of OTA are nil and zilch - where would it be broadcast from? Adelphia will probably add it but I'm trying to quit cable TV cold turkey. (Colorado Rockies, I love ya, but your weekend games aren't worth 45 bucks a month.) We will be fortunate if they can get the new network onto satellite given bandwidth problems, rights fees, etc. and of course if there's actually HD that would be more difficult than SD. (Let's hope for the spot beams.) I saw the post from Minnesota which I think said that their new local sports network never got onto satellite at all. I hate when Adelphia has a monopoly on a channel...
post #903 of 6840 Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If the network gets big enough, it might be added to satellite. Similar to YES etc..

Go Broncos!
post #904 of 6840 Old 02-16-2004, 09:42 AM

Is there any one here that gets anything from the Denver area OTA? I'm in Monument, and ANTWeb says I should be able to get a few of the Denver stations with the ANT I have. I haven't tried pointing in that direction as it's almost a 180 from where I point it to get CoSp stuff. Was wondering if anyone else has tried.

--Eric
post #905 of 6840 Old 02-16-2004, 12:33 PM

I hope that all of the sports channels are soon going to be PPV so the rest of the D* subscribers don't have to subsidize that crap.

There was a great article in the weekend Denver Post that said that sat. rates will keep rising, especially for sports channels that the majority don't watch (such as Fox Sports Net and Stan Kronke's new Denver station he is trying to start.) Why should everyone keep paying higher bills for channels that only a few watch, like shopping channels etc...?

I totally agree with the article and hope that it becomes the norm. Hopefully soon we will be able to pay "a-la-carte" for channels that we will actually want to pay for!
post #906 of 6840 Old 02-16-2004, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by EHHoffman
Is there any one here that gets anything from the Denver area OTA? I'm in Monument, and ANTWeb says I should be able to get a few of the Denver stations with the ANT I have. I haven't tried pointing in that direction as it's almost a 180 from where I point it to get CoSp stuff. Was wondering if anyone else has tried.

--Eric

I doubt any of us can. My impression of their OTA channels is that they are low powered, and people in Denver have a hard time getting them.

Go Broncos!
post #907 of 6840 Old 02-16-2004, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might get our Fox and WB affiliate. They are the only ones that are on lookout. The rest are low power from downtown.
post #908 of 6840 Old 02-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going to be upgrading to an HD-FP in the near future. If anyone is looking for a 55" mits 16x9 RPTV, or know someone that is, send me a pm.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #909 of 6840 Old 02-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Jeremy Tebo, sent you a PM.

post #910 of 6840 Old 02-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone having a problem tuning in channel 11 (DT) tonight? I can't get a lock on it.

post #911 of 6840 Old 02-19-2004, 08:33 PM

I'm picking it up fine, same signal level as usual.
post #912 of 6840 Old 02-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Frank Zimkas
Anyone having a problem tuning in channel 11 (DT) tonight? I can't get a lock on it.

I dropped signal on it at least two times between 7-9PM but other than that it was good. I live in Woodmoor.
post #913 of 6840 Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

HMMM, time to adjust the rabbit ears I guess.

Thanks guy's.

post #914 of 6840 Old 02-20-2004, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Seemed to be fine here. I wonder what happened to Fox though? They've been out for quite awhile now.
Also, I wonder how soon that article will be coming out about HDTV in our area?

Go Broncos!
post #915 of 6840 Old 02-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

In case anyone is interested I listed my TV on Ebay. Do a search for Item#3079708073.

post #916 of 6840 Old 02-25-2004, 09:22 AM

I just moved into the C-Springs area and have a question. Where are the local HD stations being broadcast from? What antenna are most people using? and has anyone tried the SquareShooter?
post #917 of 6840 Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

They're being broadcast from Cheyenne Mountain, which is just southwest of downtown. (You can see the towers, there are a ton) I'm using a cheap-o $10 RCA antenna, haven't heard of or tried the SquareShooter.
post #918 of 6840 Old 02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep.. look at the mountains and look a bit left and you will see a group of antennas. That's Cheyenne Mountain... I think we have a great place for them to send their signal from compared to most.

Go Broncos!
post #919 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I received this email response from a KXRM engineer today:

"As you have surmised, we recently experienced a failure of our DTV transmitter. Since that time, we have been working with the equipment manufacturer in order to resolve the problem.

We hope to be back on the air within a matter of days.

As for 720P, we plan to pass whatever FOX sends ustheir current plans are for that to happen this fall."

So that's good news on both issues, I'd say. The fall would include the NFL on Fox and the next Superbowl is on Fox. I don't know if they have the next World Series too, so that we could see the Red Sox or the Cubs break one of their curses in 720p HD...

I suppose that the Adelphia HD folks have still been getting KXRM-DT and only us OTA folks were affected, so it was a smaller group of viewers overall.
post #920 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 04:36 PM

Wow! FOX was still out? I had returned my STB a couple days after I noticed they dropped off, in favor of a HTPC solution, and haven't gotten everything built yet, so I didn't know they were still out.

Good news on the 720P too. Sure wish there was a good resource for OTA Avs Games in HD here in the springs.

--Eric
post #921 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by EHHoffman
Sure wish there was a good resource for OTA Avs Games in HD here in the springs.--Eric

Or any Avs HD at all would be nice. The only game I know of in HD is coming up on ESPN-HD on March 25, Avs-Red Wings. When the Avs do appear on HDNet hockey nights, of course they get blacked out until the repeat broadcast. Maybe in a couple of years, the upcoming Kroenke sports network will get to the level of HD for Avs and Nuggets.
post #922 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish they would upconvert... I wish I knew about how it worked so I could know how much more work it is.
Good to see they will be 720p though, and that their signal will be back up.

Go Broncos!
post #923 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed that they blacked out the Avs game even when it was away from home. I guess I don't full understand the purpose of blacking out games, I was under the impression that they do it to ensure ticket sales.
post #924 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

That type of blackout is a bit different... if you don't sell out, they will not show it on tv at all. Forcing people to go. Or at least I'm pretty sure it's that way for football.

The reason HDNet's get blacked out is because we are able to view it in our local Fox Sports Net channel. So they want people watching their commercials instead of HDNets.

Go Broncos!
post #925 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaggeto
The reason HDNet gets blacked out is because we are able to view it in our local Fox Sports Net channel. So they want people watching their commercials instead of HDNet's.

And those rules made sense in the old days, but they need to be updated to give us the freedom to get HD over SD when both are televised. Like an HD viewer's bill of rights or something. If the SD channel won't do HD, then they should have to give up a few viewers.
post #926 of 6840 Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I think most HD viewers would agree with that :-)

I don't think the SD channels care though.
The solution to this is... HDNet piggy-backs onto the Foxs Sport Net production like they did in the past. So you basically had FSNs broadcast(including commercials) with HDNets cameras.
This year HDNet went solo, so they have to blackout where it's on locally.
I guess it allows HDNet to suffer us not being able to view it live, for letting everyone else see it with their own commercials.

Something I noticed with HDNets announcer... he called Patrick Roy: Patrick "roy" instead of "wah" the way it's pronounced.

Go Broncos!
post #927 of 6840 Old 02-27-2004, 10:49 AM

What's even more frustrating about the blackout this last friday was the game was shown on UPN20 not FSRM. In the springs we cannot get UPN20 out of denver. Adelphia reached an agreement to pass the games on upn20 via adelphia channel 32. However, several of the games that were supposed to be broadcast on channel 32 have not been. I wasn't able to check and see if the minnesota game was broadcast on channel 32. Anyone know? The guide for adelphia did not show the avs game being broadcast.

In summary I think it's rediculous to black out the minnesota game last friday because we had NO possible way of receiving the game here in the springs. My hopes rest with Kroenke Sports Enterprises. If the do it right, we could be much better off for avs and nuggets games in the future. If the do it wrong, our selection of avs games may be reduced to exclusive nationally televised games.

-Mike
post #928 of 6840 Old 02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think adelphia would not have the games. They would do everything to get them because it's mostly only local areas that watch their team. So if you take away the 2nd biggest local area, you're taking a hit in what advertisers pay.

Go Broncos!
post #929 of 6840 Old 02-27-2004, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Today's Gazette:

PBS launches HD

PBS has announced the Monday launch of the PBS HD Channel, making PBS the first broadcaster to provide a fully packaged 24/7 channel consisting entirely of High Definition and Widescreen content. It will air locally on digital PBS Channel 18.

The PBS HD Channel will be available from local PBS stations that have transitioned to digital broadcasting, as well as through local digital cable systems that have agreed to retransmit the digital signal of their local public television station.

The PBS HD Channel will feature a mix of new and library HD and Widescreen programs. New HD and Widescreen programs will simulcast with their analog national PBS premiere broadcast, and will repeat on the PBS HD Channel during the week after their premiere.

This applying to the Colorado Springs market doesn't add up to me. The whole thing sounds like a national press release, except for the one sentence about channel 18. According to the Rocky Mountain PBS site http://rmpbs.org/status/index.html, which is updated often, there's still no news about their HD being ready. Plus they are broadcasting digitally on channel 26 instead of 18. Guess we can re-scan on Monday just in case.
post #930 of 6840 Old 02-28-2004, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Odd... but seemingly it's the PBS HD channel which is 24x7 HD. I'm not sure, but I think the older PBS HD content was only at certain times.

If somehow the 18 applies to us, I think they saw 8-1 and figure it couldn't be 81, so it must be 18.

Go Broncos!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page