Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 6840 Old 04-02-2004, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for Tim at KKTV - Will KKTV-HD be broadcasting the Thursday and Friday afternoon HD coverage of The Masters on April 8 and 9? Apparently some CBS affiliates around the country are choosing to show it and some are choosing not to. I'm really looking forward to The Masters in HD this year. Can you let us know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6840 Old 04-02-2004, 04:46 PM

Yes. The Masters are scheduled to be aired in HD and Dolby 5.1 surround on KKTV-DT Thursday though Sunday. I believe it starts at 2:00 PM.

Tim T
KKTV
post #993 of 6840 Old 04-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Argh! I'm going to be out of town next weekend and my parents don't have HDTV. Oh well, I guess CBS is doing a lot of HD golf after the Masters too.

Golf rules. HDTV rules. Golf in HDTV rules.
post #994 of 6840 Old 04-02-2004, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the quick answer Tim! Good to see you guys are leading the way in Colo Spgs.

Go Broncos!
post #995 of 6840 Old 04-02-2004, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent, Tim. Looking forward to the 3 Final Four games in HD and DD5.1 (I assume) this weekend on KKTV and the 4 days of the Masters in HD and DD5.1 on KKTV next weekend. By next weekend, I hope to be able to TiVo every minute of the golf so I won't miss anything when life gets in the way of live TV. Besides, with no commercials, when are you even supposed to go get a Coke?
post #996 of 6840 Old 04-02-2004, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

This release is from CBS Sportsline. Confirms Thursday Friday coverage on the CBS HD network. 42 HD cameras. 10 SD cameras will be 16x9 (must be the on course RF cameras).

The Masters in HDTV

For the second consecutive year, the standard analog and HDTV productions of the 2004 Masters Tournament will be unified and will provide 18-hole coverage in HDTV's highest definition format.

In the largest HDTV production, CBS Sports will utilize 42 high definition cameras and 10 hand-held 16x9 standard definition cameras. The unified productions will be produced in HDTV's highest definition format, 1080i, and downconverted for the CBS Television Network's analog broadcast. This production technique also produces a better quality analog picture. Whether watching in widescreen HD or traditional 4x3 analog, viewers hear the same golf announcers and see the same camera angles, replays and graphics.

The 2000 Masters was the first golf tournament ever presented live in HDTV on network television, and it is still the only major tournament broadcast in high definition. The 2003 Masters marked the first time that the standard and HDTV productions of the Tournament were unified.

CBS Sports will broadcast the 2004 Masters on the CBS Television HD Network on Thursday, April 8 and Friday, April 9 (4:00-6:30 p.m., ET, each day) and Saturday, April 10 (3:30-6:30 p.m., ET) and Sunday, April 11 (2:30-7:00 p.m., ET) live from Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga. The third and final rounds of the Masters will be broadcast simultaneously in standard definition by CBS Sports on the analog CBS Television Network.

Beginning in 1993 the Masters experimented with HDTV on a limited basis to discover how the new system could improve the presentation of the tournament to the television audience. The 2004 Masters broadcast will be presented in the highest form of HDTV with 1080 lines of resolution and over two million picture elements which makes it six times sharper than standard definition television.

One hundred and seventy-nine of CBS's owned and affiliated stations are currently broadcasting in digital, covering approximately 97% of the nation.
post #997 of 6840 Old 04-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Too bad KKTV isn't passing HD right now for the GT/OSU game like they're supposed to be. Hopefully someone will notice that soon.
post #998 of 6840 Old 04-03-2004, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Now at 9:00, I just tuned in to UConn-Duke. I have HD but no DD5.1. Looks like DD2.0 unless I've goofed up my receiver. Do you all have 5.1 or 2.0 sound?
post #999 of 6840 Old 04-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

They switched it to HD partway through the second half of the GT/OSU game. Both games were DD2.0 the whole time.
post #1000 of 6840 Old 04-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=387277

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #1001 of 6840 Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 AM

I don't think KKTV showed the Thursday afternoon Masters session I watched it on DirecTV channel 84. I didn't keep on checking KKTV, but they didn't have it on it at 2:00 PM.
post #1002 of 6840 Old 04-09-2004, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone else see it on KKTV-DT yesterday? Turns out I can't check it out this afternoon or yesterday afternoon. Hope the weekend rounds are good competition and no rain in Georgia.
post #1003 of 6840 Old 04-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Well it's official now, I'm moving to Denver. I'll be around through the end of the month, and hopefully I'll have a chance to meet you all at Frank's house before I go.

It's been fun watching the HD scene developing here, slowly but surely, over the past year. Don't be too jealous when I'm watching ABC and NBC in HD up there!
post #1004 of 6840 Old 04-12-2004, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations! We're all coming to your house on Sunday nights to watch Alias in HD.
post #1005 of 6840 Old 04-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds good, I think I'm going to sell my big tube before I leave and get a RP widescreen of some kind. That thing is too heavy and it gives me a good excuse to get a bigger one.

Jennifer Garner in HD might be enough to get me started watching that show, although it might conflict with the Sops and Deadwood. Guess I'd better start saving for the HD-Tivo.
post #1006 of 6840 Old 04-16-2004, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Just read this in an ilovehdtv.com email:

"FOX Sports HD NFL coverage sends an early warning shot across the bows of the other Major Network's HD Ships. Meaning: HD Sports is coming to FOX Big Time, no better place than the NFL, every Sunday in the fall. FOX Sports has jumped in with both cleats. They announced that they will be broadcasting up to six NFL games a week in HD 720p. WOW! They claim 111 NFL games slated for the regular season hmmm let me get my abacus. Let's say they average only 5 games a week x 18 weeks. Heck that's 90 HD NFL games outa 111 total! Well, if they go ahead and do six/week x 18 weeks its 108 HD NFL, throw in Thanksgiving and specials. Yup, seems their whole NFL season will be HD !!! (The NFL has an 18-week schedule with each team having 2 bye (off) weeks) Oh gee, I forgot the NFL postseason & preseason, Oh Boy! HD Football.. note to self: need to get portable HDTV setup for tailgate parties!

Very cool. Hope CBS will take this as a challenge and do more than one HD game a week. Also KXRM should be jumping up to 720p by the fall if what we heard a while back holds true.

I'm still noticing audio sync problems with KXRM-DT received OTA. Seems like sometimes more than other times?? I assume you all see the same thing OTA, right? What about KXRM digital over Adelphia - is their feed synced up? It's hard for me to watch Fox's digital channel right now between the vertical picture jitter (apparently a problem that only I have) and the audio sync issue.
post #1007 of 6840 Old 04-17-2004, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool.. now I won't mind the Broncos being on Fox as much as I used to. I think our KXRM will do the switch smoothly. I also notice the picture gitter you're talking about. It's a LOT like what D* had in the beginning of the football season with their ED/HD games. Luckily, it doesn't bother me much, if at all. and sadly even though there are shows on Fox that I'd like to watch, I rarely do.

Go Broncos!
post #1008 of 6840 Old 04-17-2004, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaggeto
I also notice the picture gitter you're talking about. It's a LOT like what D* had in the beginning of the football season with their ED/HD games.

So now I'm really confused. I thought no one else was seeing this so I concluded it couldn't be the station's problem. Plus one time I took my computer flat-panel monitor into the theater and hooked it up via DVI and didn't notice any jitter. So I've been pushing SoundTrack service techs to figure out what is wrong inside my Mitsubishi RPTV that makes it not display a 480p DTV signal over component cables correctly. Visually, it can make me dizzy though it's just a slight problem. Ugh...

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaggeto
Luckily, it doesn't bother me much, if at all. and sadly even though there are shows on Fox that I'd like to watch, I rarely do.

I rarely watch Fox too, but Fox widescreen baseball is coming up this summer (including Red Sox-Yankees last night) and I want to be all set for the Fox HD NFL games in 4 1/2 months. Plus if there's a problem with my TV I need it to be fixed under warranty.

Anyone else want to weigh in on noticing audio sync problems with KXRM-DT, either OTA or on Adelphia?
post #1009 of 6840 Old 04-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

I also get audio out of sync with KXRM digital. I get it ota.

Roy
post #1010 of 6840 Old 04-17-2004, 10:01 AM

I see the gitter issue on KXRM too. I was hoping that KXRM was fixing the problem when their DTV signal was down for a couple of weeks. However, when it came back up I still saw a wiggling image.

TallGuy, out of curiosity, what is your equipment. Maybe it's related. Mine is a Mitsubishi 55413 TV and a Samsung TS-160 receiver. I'm using a DVI connection from the receiver to the tv.
post #1011 of 6840 Old 04-17-2004, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ryttingm
I see the gitter issue on KXRM too. I was hoping that KXRM was fixing the problem when their DTV signal was down for a couple of weeks. However, when it came back up I still saw a wiggling image.

TallGuy, out of curiosity, what is your equipment. Maybe it's related. Mine is a Mitsubishi 55413 TV and a Samsung TS-160 receiver. I'm using a DVI connection from the receiver to the tv.

Similarly, I have a Mitsubishi 65611 TV (2002 model, 65") and the Samsung SIR-TS160 also. But the TV doesn't have DVI so I have to use component to transmit the digital signal.

The interesting thing is that I see the same jitter using the HD tuner in the TV (i.e. not using the Samsung at all). So it's not the Samsung's fault.

Maybe I should try my DVI hookup out of the Samsung into my computer monitor again. I had concluded that DVI was fine but your scenario says not necessarily.

Maybe the bottom line on both the video and audio issues is that KXRM's current equipment is not that great (or not configured well). I believe they have to get some new hardware to move to 720p in the fall and hopefully both problems will go away then. It's amazing that the station could let this continue for months and months like this. We need to get the station engineer into this forum like we have Tim T. from KKTV.

I still wonder if KXRM's feed to Adelphia cable has the same problems or not. Joanr, are you reading? Anyone?
post #1012 of 6840 Old 04-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

I thought the jitters were much better now than they were during football season, but I could be imagining things. I don't watch too much Faux widescreen now, I'll have to check out a baseball game. I've got a Sammy 160 hooked up via DVI to a Sony 36HS500.
post #1013 of 6840 Old 04-19-2004, 08:47 AM

KXRM's feed to Adelphia is unpredictable at best. It totally vanished for a few weeks or so just awhile back. I avoid watching Fox and ABC over the Moto box since neither is in HD and both look better bypassing the box. I've got the feed split for the analog channels. HDNET is now previewing over Adelphia and it's not half bad but nothing I'd subscribe to. I haven't noticed the jitter on Fox the few times I've viewed it via the box. Guess we'll just have to wait for the Fall and see how it's doing then. My gripe is that Adelphia is now offering all these super saver deals when you sign up for the HD services including a year of free premium HD channels and other discounts. When I signed up just a few months ago they offered none of this. It's going to be a slow process, probably another year or more to get NBC or ABC local to go HD. BTW, I haven't noticed PBS looking HD yet either. HBO's Deadwood is drop dead gorgous in HD and CBS continues to shine. I just hope Fox will be 720 by fall for football season.

Cheers!
Joanr
post #1014 of 6840 Old 04-19-2004, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Joanr:

Actually... everyone lost the signal from KXRM for awhile. Something broke that took awhile to fix. If possible, could you waiting for something like baseball to be on, and look for some white static graphic to look at and see if you see the slight jitter?

Apparently the HD equpiment has already been sent out to some stations.. hopefully KXRM gets it setup sometime soon and then they can move to 720p all the time :-)

Thanks

Go Broncos!
post #1015 of 6840 Old 04-19-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Tebo
I thought the jitters were much better now than they were during football season, but I could be imagining things.

I agree, the jitter I'm seeing is much more minimal than during last baseball and football seasons. But it's still there. On Friday night, they had a 16x9 test pattern on after the Yankees-Red Sox game, and the horizontal lines were moving vertically. The worst seems to be the lower middle part of the screen.

I still don't know how they can not care that the audio doesn't match people's lips moving.
post #1016 of 6840 Old 04-20-2004, 08:23 AM

I'll check Fox out again tonight. I think my HD box is a POS. It really distorts the lower channels, lots of noise, more than ususal, 480p or i as default, doesn't matter, still looks awful. The DT & HD channels are not bad but the audio out is weak, I have to crank up the receiver well past normal levels to hear anything. I'll probably take it back for a new one and see if that helps. I'm not too impressed overall. After waiting years to get HD to my RPTV seems cable is not the best choice. It's a real PITA having to switch inputs all the time to get decent PQ. The TV does a much better job than the box. My brother is in Philly and has none of these complaints with his SA box or whatever they are using there.

I have a question for anyone else using the Adelphia Mot box. Viewing CSI or some of the other CBS HD programming, does your picture take on a reddish hue and look rather dark? I have to do a lot of adjusting when I switch to CBS. Miami CSi is the worst, the red is really overpowering. Would this be the filming process ( I think it would be) or the box? This doesn't usually happen with HBO HD or the HDNet channels. Does anyone use a different box with Adelphia or do we have to use theirs? Thanks.

Cheers!
Joanr
post #1017 of 6840 Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Joanr,
Are you using the component cables provided by Adelphia/Motorola? I'm not a big advocate of High-End cables, but perhaps the component cables may be the root of the color issues your having.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #1018 of 6840 Old 04-20-2004, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joanr
I have a question for anyone else using the Adelphia Mot box. Viewing CSI or some of the other CBS HD programming, does your picture take on a reddish hue and look rather dark? I have to do a lot of adjusting when I switch to CBS. Miami CSi is the worst, the red is really overpowering. Would this be the filming process ( I think it would be) or the box? This doesn't usually happen with HBO HD or the HDNet channels. Does anyone use a different box with Adelphia or do we have to use theirs? Thanks.

Nothing like this using the OTA signal so it must have something to do with the Adelphia box.
post #1019 of 6840 Old 04-20-2004, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Joanr
Viewing CSI or some of the other CBS HD programming, does your picture take on a reddish hue and look rather dark?

I have noticed that peoples lips and such look a little too red as well. I have not noticed the darkness, but I will pay more attention to CSI this Thursday.

Brian
post #1020 of 6840 Old 04-20-2004, 04:06 PM

So the OTA color looks normal/good? I wonder then if it's the box or compression if in use creating the problem. The other HD channels look nice, it's just a CBS problem, and then not with all their programming, just some. But if OTA is ok, then it must be the box. Back it goes, since the audio has a problem also.
And I've yet to see much difference between the high priced Monsters and a good quality Radio Shack, but my Extron cables seem to work best. Anyhow, I'll take it back this weekend and see if that clears up the problem.
Thanks.

Cheers!
Joanr
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page