Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2004, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Think I've figured out that my KXRM-DT reception problems are due to multipath reception, not to weak signal strength. The HD-TiVo gets no picture on 21-1 but gets like a 75 signal reading, which is better than KTSC-DT which does get a picture. About 1 time in 10 it will interpret the signal into video and audio on 21-1. Wonder if multipath could also be the reason for my long-running vertical picture shaking on KXRM-DT.

I've ordered a Winegard SquareShooter SS-1000 antenna to try out. It is supposed to be good at avoiding multipath reception, as it can't get signals from the sides or rear. And it's not a 6-foot mess of silver metal to try to hang outside without breaking neighborhood covenants...

Will report back in a week or so.

BTW, I don't have the PSIP problem since D* provides the program info for OTA channels somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Found this on the web:

There are still technical challenges in the transmission of digital audio-video to the home (multipath for you OTA'ers). Speaking of OTA multipath, a new generation of HD receivers is being developed that deals much better with this issue....
http://www.amateurhometheater.com/St...nniversary.htm
Old 05-21-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hello all -

Here is the most up-to-date info on the Denver Home Theater Projector Expo we are holding at the Marriot Tech Center June 5th and 6th. Everyone is welcome:

Dates - June 5th and 6th

Location - The Marriott Tech Center
4900 South Syracuse Denver, CO 80237 USA
Phone: 1 303-779-1100 Fax: 1 303-740-2523

Toll free 1-800-444-2206, specify Tech Center Marriott

Room rate $69.00 single/double

Projectors:

Screenplay 777 (new 3 chip DLP from Infocus)
JVC HX1
Sharp XVZ12000
Screenplay 7205
Studio Experience 50HD
Optoma H76
NEC HT-1100 (with anamorphic lens)
Screenplay 5700
Studio Experience 2HD (Sanyo Z2 clone)
Screenplay 4805

We're still trying to get a SIM HD2+ for the show.

We will have screens and samples from Stewart, Dalite, Vutec, Carada, and Screen Research.

Infocus may have representatives in person for a presentation on the 777, 7205, and 4805 PLUS have given us free reign to use them INDEPENDENTLY in the shootout.

We will have a Bravo D1 DVD player as a giveaway on day one, a D2 as a giveaway on day 2.

Projectors will be shown sequentially with about an hour devoted to each - we are thinking 5 a day.

We hope to have all projectors ISF calibrated prior to the event.

Tentative schedule:

Day One: 10 am - 12 pm: General Front Projection/HDTV Presentation plus Q and A OR Infocus presentation

12 - 1 pm - Lunch Break

1 - 6 pm - Projector Shootout

After 6, we're all heading to the bar and restaurant. Inebriated Q and A session to follow, for anyone wanting to hang around!

Day Two: 10 am - 12 pm: Screens! Comparison between greys and whites

12 - 1 pm - Food!

1 - 6 pm - Projector Shootout part two

The actual schedule may be massaged a bit, but the dates and location are now LOCKED IN.

E-mail me or Brad at the addresses below for more. We hope to see many of you there!

John

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
Old 05-21-2004, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, sounds cool. Down the road, after my $3500 RPTV is written off in my head, that kind of event sounds very helpful to choose a projector.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:40 PM

Fox over the weekend was a real challenge. I don't know what the heck they were doing with their audio. It sounded terrible. Like a tin version of Dolby. I sure hope it wasn't their new equipment or we are in for a terrible football season.....lol.

INHD continues to impress, I'm really enjoying their content over the two INHD channels. It's the best PQ of any of the HD channels I receive, and most of the programming has 5.1 audio. I read the other day that 6.1 broadcasts are not far off? Anyone else hear of this? Also, any Adelphia users find out anything more about the PPV Order IN and if we will get it?

Cheers!
Joanr
Old 05-24-2004, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed this also... almost like an echo between the front and the back speakers. It was doing this last week also. I really hope INHD comes to Voom before too long, or I will start looking into digital cable. (still get basic cable)

Go Broncos!
Old 05-24-2004, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys are torturing me with talk about these things I can't get: KXRM-DT and INHD. Sigh.

I talked with the Gazette's TV reporter last week and he said the HDTV feature should be published on a Sunday around mid-June, hopefully a big Life section cover story. He really has a good handle on the scene around here and has talked to a lot of the stations.

Sounded like KRDO management said something like 'why should we spend money on HDTV when we don't think we can make more money doing it?' We need to convince them that they are going to lose viewership and therefore ad revenue, maybe not noticeably this year, but for sure beginning next year. Wish I was a Nielsen household so my not watching them would affect their numbers. KRDO doesn't sound like they ever want to pass through the full quality that ABC can give them.

And why have hundreds of stations around the U.S. invested in HDTV? Just because it's cool, and not for any increased revenue? I thought cable stations have been eating into network ratings every year for a long time now. I don't get it.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Okay folks lets see if we can get our local broadcasters attention. Many of HD/Home theater addicts are vocal in our desire for more HD content and more HD stations. Unfortunately there are only a few of us that post here on a regular basis. It's come to my attention that some of our local stations believe that there are only 5-6 people that are seriously into the whole HD thing! Without more people making their voices heard, our local station management may never get a handle on how many HDTV owners there really are here. So what do we do? Simple, have everyone that you know that owns an HDTV post a simple message here...."HD NOW!!"

I have it on good authority that at least 1 media outlet is watching this thread and is very interested in what our local stations are doing with regards to HD.

This is your chance to be heard and to have an impact, so start firing off those emails, make a few phone calls, visit your neighbors, etc. Give everyone a link to this page and ask for his or her help to get the message out to our local broadcasters.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
Old 05-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

HDTV NOW!!

Old 05-25-2004, 04:22 PM

HDTV NOW!!
Old 05-25-2004, 04:57 PM

HD NOW!!

Chance
Old 05-25-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

HDTV NOW!

And each one that posts here represents 100 other HDTV owners that don't know or care about this site.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

HD now!!

But I fear most wont register at this site to make a post, but I hope they do.

Go Broncos!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:46 PM

HD now!

At least we have KKTV and I suspect that PBS will be second.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:22 PM

HDTV NOW!

Sure wish I was two miles further north in the Denver locals area
Old 05-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
HDTV NOW!

And each one that posts here represents 100 other HDTV owners that don't know or care about this site.

Good Point!

Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bnelson
At least we have KKTV and I suspect that PBS will be second.

Yeah, if PBS can do it for their 29 viewers (OK, I'm exaggerating), why not the big guys?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

HDTV NOW!!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
RJO

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HD now. I want to see Monday Night football in HD
Old 05-26-2004, 12:05 PM

HDTV now!!!! If you broadcast it, they will come.

I had no problem, in the past, dumping the Broncos on KKTV for whatever game FOX was broadcasting simply because I preferred the surround sound on FOX over the mono broadcast that KKTV had at the time. If my loyalties can be swayed that much by audio quality, imagine what HD can do.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:58 PM

HD NOW!!

I recently moved to Colorado Springs. I enjoyed having ALL the major networks available in HD where I used to live. It's sad to move to such a beautiful area, and only have one HD affiliate. I want my HDTV!!

-Paul E
Old 05-26-2004, 04:25 PM

HDTV NOW!!
Old 05-26-2004, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess we have a long wait for HD on KOAA.

http://www.koaa.com/community/listen...?TOPIC_ID=1463
Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tandem
I had no problem, in the past, dumping the Broncos on KKTV for whatever game FOX was broadcasting simply because I preferred the surround sound on FOX over the mono broadcast that KKTV had at the time. If my loyalties can be swayed that much by audio quality, imagine what HD can do.

98% of the time, I would rather watch anything that's on in HD than what's showing all grainy in SD.

So more CBS, more Fox, less NBC, less ABC!

Is anyone listening??!
Old 05-27-2004, 04:10 PM

HDTV now!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:25 PM

Well, I have finally given into the "dark side"...today I switched from DirectTV to Adelphia HD cable.

I already had digital cable in order to have the broadband cable-modem Internet access that I need for my computer business at home. We also had the high-level premium pack because my wife likes all of the movie channels, but that digital STB is hooked up to the TV in the family room.

Down in the Home Theater, I had DirectTV set up with the HDTV subscription. For local channels, like CBS, I was using a OTA antenna. My HDTV STB was a Panasonic HDS20. It's about 2 years old now, There hasn't been a whole lot of advancement in STB for DirectTV that I've seen. I didn't like the Panny box because it could not output S-Video at the same time as Component, so I couldn't hook up my ReplayTV to it. Also, switching between satellite channels like HDnet and OTA CBS took the box about 10-20 seconds to lock in. And I was really getting tired of trying to tune in Fox and the other local channels since every different HD format required the same long retuning time.

Given that Adelphia recently added HDnet, HDnetMovies, and ESPN-HD, I decided to investigate this more closely. They are charging me an extra $7.95 a month for the additional HD STB (because I still want the other digital box upstairs). By turning off the extra DirectTV services that I didn't need and even still sticking with my one-year committement (which still has 6 months before it runs out), I'm still saving money.

The tech came out today to install the Adelphia HD STB. Fortunately, I got someone who respected my knowledge of HD. He was blown away with my system...I guess he hasn't done many high-end installations in this area yet. I had to show him what HDTV was really meant to look like using HDnet as the test channel. Other than a problem with my digital audio cable being bad and having to swap cables, the install went *very* smoothly. I basically just pulled out the Panasonic box and put the Adelphia Motorola 5100 in it's place.

So, now I've got:
HD: INHD1, INHD2, CBS, ESPNHD, HBOHD, SHOHD, STARZHD, HDnet, HDnetMovies

Digital: ABC, PBS, Fox

Even after the research that I did on the Motorola STB, I was surprised at a couple of nice features:

1) The S-Video is ALWAYS output along with the component signal. So, Ive got my ReplayTV connection back.

2) EVEN WITH A HD Channel, the STB *downconverts* and outputs a 480i signal on the S-Video that has *VERY* high quality...better than any of the other digital channels. So, even though I can't record anything in HiDef, I can at least record normal definition from sources like HDnet, which is nice for special programming.

3) Even though ABC and PBS are not yet HiDef signals, the digital signals are MUCH higher quality than the normal lower 1-99 channels. The tech confirmed that channels 1-99 are not really digitial and are just conversions of their normal analog signals. So, 1-99 have always looked pretty crappy, with 100+ looking decent. Well, 700+ look even better even when not in HiDef.

All in all, I'm very happy with the new setup. The only thing I miss is the Discovery HD channel. INHD1 and INHD2 somewhat make up for that. And Adelphia seems to be adding channels pretty quickly, so I'm guessing we'll see Discovery sometime soon.

Too bad NBC is still not even giving a digital signal. Looks like the Olympics are going to be disappointing. I'm really hoping that HDnet can put together some kind of arrangement like they did with the Winter Olympics a couple of years ago. Otherwise we are out of luck, and I'll be one of many writing nasty letters to both the national and local NBC stations.

Anyway, if you already use Adelphia for the Internet access and don't mind giving more money to the big cable conglomerates, maybe this post will help with your decision.

I know that DirectTV plans to make some big HDTV announcement in June. I hope it's not something that I'll regret. Hopefully any new channels they add will also be added by cable. Adelphia seems to at least understand they have to compete.

I'm not sure this is as good as something like VOOM, but I wasn't about to pay $79 a month on top of my normal Adelphia cable-modem bill.

If anyone is interested in a *great* deal on a used Panasonic HDS20, let me know
Old 05-27-2004, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... We're now currently only on Voom and basic cable, along with Adelphia Powerlink. I'd like to have INHD and HDNets again.

How much is the digital package that would give me the INHDs and HDNets? Do they require a certain HD programming package to get?

I currently have access to all the others on Voom and OTA.

That STB lockin problem is odd... is that just because of the signal strength? My E86 and Voom STB both lockin very quickly.

Also, with the cable box, can you make the screen graphics transparent?

Go Broncos!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:15 PM

HD and HDDVD NOW!!! I'm an optimist.

MikeP, InHD is showing The Living Sea on Monday night and two shows on Sunday night that will really impress you. It's Imax stuff this weekend. I don't know what display you are using but the previews of these broadcasts on my RPTV were just outstanding. Can't wait to see these.

With the Mot box, are you noticing a defeat in volume when tuning to the HD channels? Are you going into a receiver with the optical or coax? I really have to crank it up when watching the HD channels and haven't found an answer to this yet. I don't know if it's equipment or station related and haven't had the time to ring things out properly.

Well it's time to email FOX about their audio. Not only is it out of sync, but now it sounds like an echo chamber. Someone turned on the Stadium DSP. It couldn't get worse. Don't these guys monitor their broadcasts?

Cheers!
Joanr
Old 05-27-2004, 10:21 PM

HDTV NOW!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:03 PM

Vaggeto: Currently Adelphia isn't putting the HD channels in a package, other than the obvious bit of not receiving them without the HD STB for $7.95 a month. When they added the ESPN and HDNet channels a few weeks back, a message came along mentioning the "free preview" of the channels, but nothing (then or since) about pricing of them. My thought? If we are already paying extra for the box, some channels (ESPN, HDNet, INHD, hopefully DiscoveryHD) should be part of that price. HBO, Starz, and Showtime should be piped through if that respective package is purchased. Or, one slightly higher price for an all-inclusive HD package, movie channels included. I'd be really disappointed to see them to try some sort of a la carte pricing for individual channels.
I just discovered the INHD channels tonight, always a nice surprise to find new channels such as these. Not sure how long they've been up, but great to have more good-looking programming. Caught a couple of the IMAX broadcasts tonight, looking forward to the Living Sea show Joanr mentioned.
Joanr: I've been using an optical cable since I first hooked the box up, and haven't noticed any volume issues, other than the ridiculous Fox issue, which I/we have no control over. Are they too busy watching other channels in their broadcast booth?
Adelphia seems to be adding HD channels every couple of weeks, hope they can keep this up for a while!