post #1171 of 6837 Old 06-17-2004, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Frank Zimkas
Anyone heard anything about UPN 57? I didn't see them listed on the FCC site that was posted a few days ago.

I haven't heard anyting about UPN. When the FCC started assigning DTV frequencies they didn't do the LP (Low Power) stations for the most part, so you won't see UPN 57 go digital for along time, IMO. Check out this article for some detailed info:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/faqs/dtv-tvtx.html

In one part of that article it mentions:
The Commission has not yet adopted general rules for DTV operation by TV translators and LPTV stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 6837 Old 06-17-2004, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'll let you know how the calibration goes. I guess I'm in the middle - if I spend $400-500 some people would think I'm crazy to waste money and some people would think I'm being too cheap. I'm hoping that I end up getting 80% of Craig's standard work for 60% of the price.

I can't pull in KTSC-DT tonight and the strength numbers were between 3 and 25 instead of their normal mid-50's. I wonder if it's the weather or the station. The other station levels were normal.

Last night I noticed KXRM-DT had a real widescreen show on, but no audio. Later on like 10:30 they had a test pattern on. Sometimes KKTV still forgets to switch from SD to HD in the middle of an HD show. The stations' growing pains in making this new technology consistent are interesting to observe.
post #1173 of 6837 Old 06-18-2004, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

DO'H!
Forgot about UPN being a Low-Power station, thanks for the reminder.

TallGuy,
Talked to Andie a few days ago on the phone, he said the print date is the 27th.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #1174 of 6837 Old 06-18-2004, 08:33 AM

Well, the cable guy came on time and every thing went smooth for a change. He brought out the Motorola 6200, as asked for, and got me setup in just a few minutes. It was his first HDTV install, so he was a little unsure of the settings for the cable box, but I helped fill him in on the details.

First Impressions (after a single night of watching):

iNHD 1 & 2 Looks amazing. This is what HD is supposed to look like.

HDNet and HDNetMovies also look great. The difference between film and HD video is apparent, which I guess just goes to show the level of quality these stations broadcast. Film converts retain the softer film look while HD video content has a sharper picture, and the detail is some what more apparent.

ESPN-HD - Wasn't broadcasting anything in HD last night and simply had the standard ESPN 4:3 stuff up-converted and pillar boxed. They are adding their own ESPN-HD graphics in the pillars, which I haven't decided if I like or not.

The broadcast networks look no different then what I get OTA, which is a good thing I guess. At least they are not further compressing the signals.

They have also turned on/are not blocking HBO-HD, Showtime-HD and Stars-HD. I'm sure that at some point I will loose these channels, as I don't subscribe to any of these packages. Each of these channels were showing movies originally done on film and they had an apparent softer look to them as well. More so then the film content on the iNHD or HDNet channels, but it may have simply been the particular transfers.

Next up is figuring out how to get the FIREWIRE working with my HTPC so I can record some of the content.

Over all I'm satisfied with the service. I was very seriously considering canceling my entire cable package, especially now that I can get DSL for internet access. However, given that I can't get SAT, the extra HD content is enough to keep me as a customer for the time being.

--Eric
post #1175 of 6837 Old 06-18-2004, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a webpage I found that shows tower wattage of local stations.

http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/co/tv.asp
post #1176 of 6837 Old 06-18-2004, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
Eric-

Glad your install went well. Please keep us updated with your progress trying to record off your cable box.

bb
post #1177 of 6837 Old 06-18-2004, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ay221
Here is a webpage I found that shows tower wattage of local stations.

http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/co/tv.asp

That list was really interesting, and confusing. For one thing, I didn't know we had a KOAA-DT ( ), and for another thing, why does 20kW KKTV-DT come in much stronger for me than 200kW KRDO-DT and 1000kW KTSC-DT? I would think they're all about the same spot on Cheyenne Mountain pointed in the general same direction.
post #1178 of 6837 Old 06-18-2004, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brianblank
Eric-

Glad your install went well. Please keep us updated with your progress trying to record off your cable box.

Same here
post #1179 of 6837 Old 06-18-2004, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tall Guy, Yeah, not sure about that. the KOAA seems correct, since KOAA website mentions itself the 100kw transmitter in Pueblo and a 10kw here in Cheyenne mountain. but I agree KKTV-DT comes in strong. Wish I knew a more reliable site. Oh and btw, the 850kw for KOAA-DT, I am hoping maybe that is the strength they plan to use(they probably had to submit all the setup designs to the FCC). 880kw would come in great with no cutoffs.
post #1180 of 6837 Old 06-21-2004, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

As usual, I stress a little when a station drops a lot in signal strength from "normal", just wondering if my antenna setup isn't good enough and I'll have to go through more hassle to improve it. This week is KTSC/PBS which has dropped to between 3-20 where it's normally in the 50s for me. I wonder if they're having technical problems - I almost hope they are, so that it's not my problem.

I know it doesn't matter much until they go HD, and even then how many of their shows will be captivating?, but does anyone else notice a drop from your normal level of KTSC-DT?
post #1181 of 6837 Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Weather?

post #1182 of 6837 Old 06-21-2004, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe, but it wasn't raining this evening. The other UHF channels' signal strengths seemed unaffected...
post #1183 of 6837 Old 06-22-2004, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
I know it doesn't matter much until they go HD, and even then how many of their shows will be captivating?

As a long time Nova fan, I've been wanting to see it in HD for years. That and Austin City Limits are the only two shows I regularly watch. However, I don't believe ACL is in HD. Plus, our local PBS doesn't show ACL. Thankfully, the two Denver affiliates do. Anyway, I highly recommend both shows.

Chance
post #1184 of 6837 Old 06-22-2004, 07:58 AM

Well I have had good success with recording HD from my STB. I followed the directions in this thread and it worked like a charm. CapDVHS is a fairly basic application with some limited scheduling capabilities, but it did record just fine and the files play back great from the myHD 120 card in my HTPC.

As it stands, the current applications leave something to be desired in the way of a normal TIVO like experience, but this has proved to me that it is possible. I'm gonna play around with it some more and see if I can integrate this into my current myHTPC with guide info and IR remote control functionality.

Anyone further interested in this topic might want to check out the thread above, as well as this one.

The only problem I'm experiencing with this setup is related to DVI and the Motorola 6200 STB. I guess the latest version of the STB's firmware has a HDCP handshake issue. This makes watching via DVI a PITA, because you can't power the TV off before the STB, and you can't switch video inputs on the TV while the STB is on. Doing so causes the STB to lock out the display device and forces you to disconnect and reconnect the DVI cable. As a result, I'm watching most of my HD stuff via Component until they get a new firmware version released.

--Eric
post #1185 of 6837 Old 06-22-2004, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

An HTPC has always sounded like fun to me, but I doubt it would pass the WAF!
post #1186 of 6837 Old 06-22-2004, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TallGuy
An HTPC has always sounded like fun to me, but I doubt it would pass the WAF!

I can certainly understand that issue. My intent is to get the HTPC functioning just like a STB where you can control everything from a menu driven system via remote control. I've come close, after many hours of tweaking and experimenting. I have a menu system that provides access to my digital music collection, recorded TV content, home movie collection, DVDs, digital photo albums, and a weather page all accessible via remote control. I still have some tweaking to do to get the scheduling of recordings to work for the MyHD tuner card via remote, as wells as the newly acquired cable STB.

My wife just didn't understand the whole draw to the HTPC at first. She's starting to come around though. She does a lot of digital photography and was really impressed that her digital photo albums made on her laptop upstairs where "magically available" from the TV down stairs, and that they looked so good.

--Eric
post #1187 of 6837 Old 06-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone in the market for a Dishnetwork 921DVR?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=29081

No Affiliation.

post #1188 of 6837 Old 06-24-2004, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Frank Zimkas
[b]Anyone in the market for a Dishnetwork 921DVR?

As long as you like bugs... (just kidding, but not entirely...)
post #1189 of 6837 Old 06-25-2004, 07:59 AM
RJO

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anybody know what is going on with fox? They are not broadcasting the widescreen versions and the image quality has degraded. The audio syncing problem is still present.
post #1190 of 6837 Old 06-25-2004, 08:29 AM

Anybody else see this in today's GO section?

"COMING SUNDAY

Colorado Springs is way behind the curve when it comes to embracing HDTV, the future of TV. "

Should be an interesting read.

Chance
post #1191 of 6837 Old 06-25-2004, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chanceG
Anybody else see this in today's GO section?

You mean people still read news papers these days?

--Eric
post #1192 of 6837 Old 06-25-2004, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by EHHoffman
You mean people still read news papers these days?

Isn't that the truth. I stopped subscribing to the paper version a while back and just get the online version.

Chance
post #1193 of 6837 Old 06-25-2004, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

It's supposed to be a pretty big article Sunday. I'm looking forward to it -- to the extent I agree with how they present it, of course...
post #1194 of 6837 Old 06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

They probably talked to a few A/V geeks....could be rather humorous.

post #1195 of 6837 Old 06-26-2004, 10:25 AM

I got an email from Mike at Fox this past week. He swears that nothing is wrong with the audio sync at their end as they are monitoring it and asked me to call Adelphia and have them monitor at their headend with the STB they are distributing. Apparently no one at Fox has ever tried to call local Adelphia. It's impossible, you have to drive over to Union and Bijou. I used to have a service number for the local office but it doesn't work anymore.

Yesterday I got a flyer from Adelphia giving me until July 15th to upgrade my HD account. Just as I suspected, they are going to turn off all the freebie HD content and give us the option to subscribe to HD PLus Tier. We'll lose HDNETs and INHDs and ESPN HD and any premium HD stuff like Starz HD unless we subscribe to the standard premium stuff.

In our case here in the Springs, we are only getting count' em 1 true HD channel via reg. Broadcast and that's KKTV (CBS) with the Adelphia HD service. The other channels are bogus. I think they should at least let us continue to get the HDNet and INhd free until we get more local HD content. But that's just wishfull thinking.

Someone has a Motorola 6200 box from Adelphia? What extra's are you getting with that model? Does it convert 720p to 1080i or is the DVI the only added feature?

Cheers!
Joanr
post #1196 of 6837 Old 06-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up a new antenna today for my HT. I got tired of adjusting the Rabbit Ears when ever I changed from one OTA station to another. Picked up one of these...
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Sears at Chapel Hills had 5 when I picked mine up, now down to 4.
Major improvement in signal strength and I haven't had to move it around to maintain a good signal for CBS, FOX, or PBS. ABC isn't on the air at this time so ?????

Sure beats the heck out of my $9.00 rabbit ears.

post #1197 of 6837 Old 06-26-2004, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joanr
Someone has a Motorola 6200 box from Adelphia? What extra's are you getting with that model? Does it convert 720p to 1080i or is the DVI the only added feature?

I just got the 6200 about a week ago. I'm not sure what is on the 5200, but here is what I've got.

DVI - Active, but has a HDCP handshake bug, so unless you keep your tv on the DVI input and make sure to turn the STB off before your TV and your TV on before your STB, you loose DVI. I'm currently working around it by using Component or disconnecting/reconnecting the DVI cable when I want DVI output. I do see an improvement in HD PQ over DVI on my Samsung DLP.

Firewire - Active and working. I've been able to record from all of the STB channels including all the HD ones to my HTPC. Still need to find a good scheduling solution, as it is all manual right now.

HD out - can be set to scale everything to 1080i/720p/480p plus has a separate config option for 480i content. 480i content is only scaled to 480p or left as is. There is no option for "Native", so you have to pick one HD output mode.

--Eric
post #1198 of 6837 Old 06-26-2004, 10:44 PM
RJO

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Joan, can you tell Mike at Fox that I have used a Zenith HD420 STB and Dishnetwork 811 and both of these units exhibit the audio sync problem. This is not an issue with Adelphia as I am recieving their signal OTA. The picture quality is not as clear and sharp as it has been. They have not been broadcasting the widescreen version of the shows that are applicable. Something has changed. I was hoping it was preparation to going to true HD at 720P. Does Mike have an email address at Fox? Maybe if he receives more questions he will attempt another method of troubleshooting. I would really like to see it resolved before the NFL season starts.
post #1199 of 6837 Old 06-27-2004, 09:11 AM

Yes,I would like an e-mail address as well. I have Direct TV and am using a Samsung HD receiver and am receiveing the FOX signal OTA and have noticed the audio problem and poor video. The NASCAR races used to be shown in widescreen, but the past 3 weeks theose pesky black bars are being shown as well. Very annoying!!!!.
post #1200 of 6837 Old 06-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone read todays Gazette? I wasn't too surprised by some of the comments made by rep's from our local stations. They do have to make a huge investment in order to go HD, hopefully enough people will contact them and let them know that they are also looking forward to seeing their favorite programming in HD.

It's a Catch-22 for all concerned. Stations are unwilling to make the investment because they feel that there are not HDTV viewers to justify the cost, yet the average consumer is not willing to invest in an HDTV because they want more content. Hopefully the situation will improve in the not to distant future, but I have serious doubts about KRDO ever broadcasting an HD signal, they've lost me already. KOAA seems hopeful that their issues with the FCC will be resolved near term and that they can get moving on their construction of a new tower. Hopefully that will happen fairly soon, because we are all missing out on some great programming from NBC. Fox will get some of my attention after they get their 720p signal on the air, until then.....nope. PBS? I was hoping that they'd be up and running by now. Hopefully soon.

Kudo's to Nathan (AKA TallGuy) for pushing hard to get the Gazette to report on the local HDTV scene!!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page