Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 6830 Old 05-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Letterman has never been in HD. They are shooting for Fall.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 6830 Old 05-14-2003, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
They want more money because they are greedy. Most likely, the suits will be dropped as this really comes down to extortion.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #213 of 6830 Old 05-16-2003, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Well now I'm not sure where KKTV is on this. I saw a few minutes of CSI last night around 8:55, and I'm pretty sure it was a real 16:9 non-stretched picture, but it wasn't quite as clear as HD. Then around 9:30 Without A Trace was definitely upconverted, stretched-from-4:3 non-HD.
post #214 of 6830 Old 05-16-2003, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

At first I thought CSI was in HD, but it seemed to be very low quality HD. But when I switched to the analog channel, the characters were stretched out the same, so it was a good upconvert.

Go Broncos!
post #215 of 6830 Old 05-16-2003, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It shouldn't be an upconvert, though. I'll try and get to the bottom of this debacle.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #216 of 6830 Old 05-16-2003, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

THanks, any chance you will find out before they broadcast HD/upconvert tonight?

Go Broncos!
post #217 of 6830 Old 05-17-2003, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The District is in widescreen HD right now!

Go Broncos!
post #218 of 6830 Old 05-17-2003, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

So is The Agency now at 9:00. Maybe they are full-time HD now, which would be nice next week for the shows I normally watch.

Thanks for the heads up.
post #219 of 6830 Old 05-17-2003, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I put on the agency at around 9:40 and it wasn't HD. I compared to the other one and it was the same image.

Go Broncos!
post #220 of 6830 Old 05-17-2003, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that too. I flipped it back on around 9:45 and it wasn't HD. It looked totally different on my set than the beginning of the show at 9:00. More confusion...
post #221 of 6830 Old 05-19-2003, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, tonight's "feel good" movie of the year was definitely in HD. Interestingly enough, the 60 Minutes special that preceded it was a non-stretched 4x3 upconvert.

I would really like it if KKTV would continue to not zoom and crop 4x3 shows for future programming.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #222 of 6830 Old 05-19-2003, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The movie started in HD tonight, went on in HD until I think they went to the SD feed to show the storm warning. (This was coming back from a commercial break at around 9:40) After this they didn't go back to HD until the end of the next commercial break, and then during the next commercial break they went back to the SD feed and I didn't notice them switch it back after that.
I wonder what it takes to switch it, and why they even mess with it once it's going? I noticed the strom warning was on the sd channel early in the movie and it wasn't on the HD version so I'm thinking this was the cause, but I didnt' see any banner after they went back to SD for a second time.

They did this on the District the other night, but since I didn't watch I didn't look for any banner.

Go Broncos!
post #223 of 6830 Old 05-19-2003, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, talked to Bob at KKTV. He said he just got back from vacation, but speculated that any weird format changes like the one Vaggeto described are most likely due to "operator error." However, he said he would look into what happened last night. BTW, he said that KKTV missed the feed today for the HD broadcast of The Young and the Restless.

So, it just appears KKTV is having growing pains. He said they're trying to get all of their engineers up to speed on the new technology as soon as possible.

In the meantime, he agreed that if WE notice a problem with the signal, we should immediately call their engineering staff so that it can be fixed. Their number is 634-2844 (ask for Engineering). After hours, you can still call that number, but you just have to enter in an additional extension for "news emergencies" and once again request to be patched through to Engineering. I think it's 243 if I remember right (the prompt tells you, either way).

Although this is sort of trivial, I told him how I wish KKTV would only turn on the HD broadcast flag that my SAT520 picks up for true HD material, instead of all programs like they are presently doing. He said he would look into whether this has to be done manually or can be preset.

Last but not least, he expressed my sentiments regarding the current policy of zooming and cropping 4x3 upconverted material. He said he was going to try to convince Tim that they should leave 4x3 material as 4x3 and let the viewer decided if they want it zoomed and cropped (provided, of course, that your display or receiver can do this).

Cheers!

Hail to the King, baby!
post #224 of 6830 Old 05-20-2003, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

More of the same last night. True HD for King of Queens (at least 7:05 to 7:15) but it looked a little grainy to me; true HD for Everybody Loves Raymond (at least 8:15 to 8:45) and it looked very good; true HD for CSI:Miami (at least at 8:45 when the show opened) and it looked excellent; then I checked back with CSI:Miami around 9:15 and it had dropped to a stretched, upconverted non-HD picture. I forgot to call the Engineering phone number at that point. Until then I was thinking they had gotten their bugs worked out. Well, now that we're nearly into all-rerun summer season, we can wait it out.

By the way, is anyone receiving program guide or program description information on the digital channel? I'm not, and I assume it's not just my setup. It's understandable if that's something KKTV is going to work on much later.

I wonder if the local ABC, FOX and PBS are making any real progress...
post #225 of 6830 Old 05-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Well, JAG is stretched tonight. It would be nice if we could get an e-mail address for feedback and questions. One question I have is whether they still consider this a testing period. If so, will they have an official launch that they will announce publically? It would seem strange for them to go to all this trouble and not bring it to the attention of people.

Roy
post #226 of 6830 Old 05-20-2003, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

JAG was HD and not stretched for me at least from 7:53 pm until the credits rolled and they went to commercial at 7:56 pm.
post #227 of 6830 Old 05-21-2003, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Roy, perhaps I did not make it clear enough, they ARE full time and no longer testing. You should call the station if you notice any weirdness to their signal as it is probably operator error. Their operators are learning this new equipment as fast as they can, but they can still make mistakes.

The word I've received as to why they have not made an official announcement stems from a request from their General Manager. I will try and get some more info on this at a later date.

In the meantime, enjoy!

P.S.- One more thing, because of the lack of publicity, I challenge each of you to make comments to any electronics store managers you run into that the first 1080i OTA station is now active in the Springs. Maybe they will pass this along to their sales staff as a selling point?

Hail to the King, baby!
post #228 of 6830 Old 05-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

OK, maybe testing is not the right word. How about "working the bugs out" or "getting up to speed". My point is that they have not announced the launch for some reason and I am curious why. Maybe there are factors that we know nothing about. As an HD enthusiast, I would like to see it promoted more.

I am, of course, happy that they are full time. From reading other threads in this forum, it is clear that a lot of stations have had difficulty getting consistent at switching to HD at the right time. Hopefully KKTV will get better at it quickly.

Roy
post #229 of 6830 Old 05-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drvais
P.S.- One more thing, because of the lack of publicity, I challenge each of you to make comments to any electronics store managers you run into that the first 1080i OTA station is now active in the Springs. Maybe they will pass this along to their sales staff as a selling point?

With the nature of my job, I spend alot of time in other people's homes and am surprised at the amount of HD sets that I see. I always mention that KKTV-(H)DTV is now on the air. Most of the time they have no idea!

I got some junk scattered around the house...
post #230 of 6830 Old 05-22-2003, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Way to go, Frank!

Hail to the King, baby!
post #231 of 6830 Old 05-27-2003, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last Friday, I called the station manager at KKTV, Charles "Charlie" Hogvedt (sic), and he basically indicated that KKTV would not make an official announcement of their DT status until the litigation is finished. He was very tight lipped about the lawsuits too, and wouldn't even budge a word out about it- typical management I guess.

He said that we should expect to see an official announcement within "the next 31 days," so I guess he's hoping the suits will be settled by then.

I also mentioned how they've missed the feeds for several HD programs, and he just said that his engineering staff has "come a long way" and that they're learning how to do things the right way as quickly as they can.

Maybe it's because I'm in the military, but I wouldn't leave brand-new engineers at the helm of a station that just entered the HD arena (which is apparently what has happened lately). I would have also spent all that time between February, when they first started playing around with the equipment, and now to train my existing staff and make sure they were up to speed. Finally, I would make sure that my people knew that they're supposed to record the HD shows each night and present them in HD for local broadcast. I mean, don't they have checklists to follow? Am I just asking for too much here?

Hail to the King, baby!
post #232 of 6830 Old 05-27-2003, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree drvais, but it seems it's been this way at most local stations everywhere.

I'm just wondering what's up with other stations? Fox or PBS? What about KRDO? I'm not evne gonna ask about 5/30 ;-)

Go Broncos!
post #233 of 6830 Old 05-27-2003, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll look into Faux, KRDO, and PBS sometime this week and post an update.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #234 of 6830 Old 05-27-2003, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

Go Broncos!
post #235 of 6830 Old 05-28-2003, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Here's the latest from www.titantv.com

ABC 24 KRDO-DT Under Review
CBS 10 KKTV-DT Jul 1 2003
FOX 22 KXRM-DT Under Review
NBC 42 KOAA-DT Awaiting FCC Permit
PBS 26 KTSC-DT Nov 1 2003

I noticed that PBS has changed from July to November.

post #236 of 6830 Old 05-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Woo-hoo! Sounds like we've got HDTV broadcasts here in the Springs, based on what I've read here. I can't wait to actually use my HDTV like it is meant to be used. Someone at an a/v store told me that it would be later this summer, but I guess sooner is better than later. From what I gather, CBS (KKTV) is the only one that is really on-air, right? What do you recommend for a tuner? Looks like Samsung makes a pretty cheap one, any ideas?
post #237 of 6830 Old 05-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Jeremy,
Welcome aboard!
Yes KKTV is on the air, but still working a few bugs out. The Samsung receivers are one option, but the most recent edition of Sound&Vision was a review of the Zenith receiver/HD PVR that might be worth a look. If you Dishnetwork you might want to consider the #6000 receiver with an OTA module, or a comparable DirecTV reveiver. If you are waitng for Adelphia to carry HDTV, well lets just say it's going to be a long wait.

post #238 of 6830 Old 05-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Frank. For now, I'm just looking for an over-the-air HDTV tuner. I've got Adelphia digital cable, and I'm not holding my breath for them to get HDTV. However, when I went in to exchange my cable box for the newer one with s-video and optical, the girl who helped me said they hoped to have HD by the end of summer, and are currently discussing plans. (Although I doubt it) I looked into satellite, but the HDTV tuners for that are around $500 and get very few channels. I think I can pick up a Samsung 151 on ebay for around $250. I have a good view of Cheyenne Mtn, but I still need an antenna, right? I live around I-25 and Rockrimmon, maybe someone could suggest an antenna that would work for me also.
post #239 of 6830 Old 05-28-2003, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, there are only a few HDTV channels on satellite. But (hopefully)very soon there will be more. Hopefully they'll have the following: HD PPV, HDNET, HDNET Movies, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, Discovery HD, and ESPN HD.

As of now they have: HDNET, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and an HD PPV channel.

If you really want you use your HDTV to its full potential, I recommend you go for satellite. Either Dish or DTV.

BTW: Do you get any dolby digital signals? The sound on standard channels on satellite is much better then any channel on my old digital cable box.

Go Broncos!
post #240 of 6830 Old 05-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'd like to go to satellite, but last time I checked it's just too much dinero for what you get. What is the best satellite deal in town? I do get dolby digital signals from my cable box. Lots of shows are in Dolby, only a few are in 5.1. When you flip the channel, now it shows what kind of sound signal it carries, and my reciever picks it up. I've seen satellite, and I'm sure it is a little better quality in audio and video. However, for the price I think digital cable is a better deal for now, IMO. Now I just want an OTA HD tuner to get a taste. When I bought my Sony 36HS500, they had Discovery HD on it, quite impressive. Crazy nature shows are almost worth the satellite alone. Almost.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page