Colorado Springs, CO - HDTV - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 6830 Old 06-01-2003, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh well, the free local channels on D* are gone! I guess that DirecTV allowed viewers to get the new locals for a couple of weeks in hopes of having us pay for them after awhile. I noticed quite a bit of pixelation on them anyway, so I'm going back to my antenna.

Jeremy-

Hold out on getting a HDTV receiver since they all have bugs and are not that reliable yet. There should be some new equipment coming from Dish and DirecTV eventually that will be a big improvement from what you get now. I sold a Panasonic TU-HDS20 for more than I paid for it after getting tired of the drop-outs even after the box was supposedly "fixed" by Panasonic. My new DirecTV box (Samsung S75) has DD 5.1 output and component video, and is rock-solid. DirecTV is about $10-15 per month cheaper than I was paying Adelphia, and I get the same channels and it is true digital, something Adelphia is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Dan-
I think I'll take your advice on holding out on the HDTV for now. Maybe at the end of the summer if they have more stations up, I'll look into converting. You think that DirecTV is a better choice than Adelphia? What do you use for internet access? My internet is bundled with my digital cable, so I think it would be more expensive to have cable internet and satellite TV. (Although DSL is an option too, but also a bit expensive) Also, you have to buy the equipment for satellite correct? I'm always looking for other options, but for now I just don't see anything that tickles my fancy.
post #243 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Tebo
My internet is bundled with my digital cable, so I think it would be more expensive to have cable internet and satellite TV.

I have DirecTV and Adelphia for net access. If you buy your own modem (they charge $5/mo rental), the price for internet only is $51.95. For us, it was only about $5-10 more per month than dialup when the second phone line was taken into account. Well worth the consistent 1Mbps download speeds I get!

I *think* you can get "lifeline" cable (locals only) and internet access for about $54-55/mo.

Chance
post #244 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 10:54 AM

I too have heard that Adelphia is a pretty good deal if you get the "bundled" services. I have not looked into the satellite net access and am still using dial up :-(

The one thing that made me laugh and finally get rid of Adlephia cable was that the crappy boxes they have (Motorola 2000) do not have a timer function and can not be controlled by a VCR, so to tape shows off the box you could only do the channel the box was left on. Also, the box did not have DD 5.1 outputs or component video even though there is a logo for Dolby on the front! At least satellite (on many boxes) has all of those things and is true digital, something Adelphia is not.

Only stations above 100 on Adelphia are digital, and all means with cable is that they can fit more channels into the spectrum. Maybe Adelphia will eventually have a better box and maybe eventually they will cease the annual/semi-annual price increases.
post #245 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how much DSL runs? Also, do the satellite providers have net access? It seems like $55 per month for cable internet access is highway robbery. I pay around $110 for "the whole shootin match," which includes internet w/ modem rental and all of the movie channels. My newer Motorola box has optical and s-video, but no component. It gets 5.1 now, but the old one didn't. If it weren't for the internet, I'd be more likely to move to satellite, but for now I can't justify the switch. I really don't record any shows, maybe when Tivo comes down in price I'll give it a try. That's interesting about the channels 100+ being digital, I do notice a quality improvement in the higher channels. As for dial-up, you can just stab me in the eye with a sharp stick and we'll call it even.
post #246 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

DSL seems pretty expensive compared to Adelphia except if you need fast upload speeds. Check out qwest.com and look at their prices. D* has satellite internet but, it isn't too fast, and if you're a heavy downloader, they will limit your speed if you use above what they consider an average user would. So I think it would be a last resort if you had nothing else but 56k.

Those Adelphia cable boxes are a joke. We used to have the special deal for around $100 which included a decent long distance plan, all the cable channels, and cable internet. Since we got D* the cable internet alone costs $60/month with the modem.(I remember it used to be $35 + $5 rental fee!) But remember I used to remember reading that cable internet came with basic cable, but now it isn't talked about much from what I can find. But, since we've cancelled digital cable, we still get basic cable. (1-77, plus a few cahnnels after that)

ChanceG, you download at actual 1MBps on a single file? What are your dslreport.com speeds??? I usually get 250-300k download speeds, and it never really varies by time of day, so I figure not many people are on around me.

Go Broncos!
post #247 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaggeto
ChanceG, you download at actual 1MBps on a single file? What are your dslreport.com speeds??? I usually get 250-300k download speeds, and it never really varies by time of day, so I figure not many people are on around me.

Yes indeedy. 1Mbps. Never varies, and I'm out in the sticks! Well worth the $$$. I'd complain about those speeds! A co-worker claims that he gets almost 2Mbps, so I though *I* was getting the short end of the stick. Apparently not.

This is the test I've run several times:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Now upload, that's a whole different ballgame. I think 128kbps is about as fast as it gets.

Chance
post #248 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are my results from that place:

Communications - 2.1 megabits per second
Storage - 253.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download - 4 seconds

Is this what you'd consider 2.1 Mbps? I really only care about actual download speed which was 253K.

Go Broncos!
post #249 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Communications - 2.1 megabits per second
Storage - 253.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download - 4 seconds

Is this what you'd consider 2.1 Mbps? I really only care about actual download speed which was 253K.

Yes, they are one and the same. 253.9 kilobytes per second is:

253.9 kbytes/sec * 8 bits/byte * 1024/k = 2,079,948.8 bits/sec = 2,031.2 kilobits/sec = 1.98 megabits/sec

So apparently I am getting the short end of the stick!

Chance
post #250 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I get 5.7 mbps at work. I'll have to check at home now.
post #251 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you definently are, and they are the same. But like I said "I usually get 250-300k download speeds"

I don't go around claiming I get 2Mbps download speeds though. I say my actual download speed that windows says, which is around 250-300K. I knew something was up when you said your friend gets 2Mbps. I thought you meant he could download a 10MB file in 5 seconds which would be VERY odd.

On another note: Is anyone on this board eligable for DSL from Qwest? I'm too far and don't have good enough phone line. I'd like to know which areas are, and since they'll only tell you based on your account info, you can't try other addresses.

Go Broncos!
post #252 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice, what kinda connection? How about upload speeds?

Go Broncos!
post #253 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure what kind of connection - big corporation type

Comm: 9.2 mbits/sec
Storage: 1.1 mbytes/sec
1 MB dl: 0.9 sec.

Not sure how to test upload. But who really cares how fast thier work connection is anyway, right?
Once upon a time I checked on DSL around here, it just wasn't as good of a deal.
post #254 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice, it's a very fast connection!
I bet upload is the same speed.

For more accurate results I bet you'd need a bigger file though. Mind trying dslreports.com and go to tools and then the speed tester?

Go Broncos!
post #255 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

DL: 3114 kbps
UL: 1170 kbps

It said to stop using my connection, but I didn't. Internet radio was playing Metallica's crappy new song. Man, that just sucks.
post #256 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I don't go around claiming I get 2Mbps download speeds though. I say my actual download speed that windows says, which is around 250-300K. I knew something was up when you said your friend gets 2Mbps.

Why not? They're one and the same. Download speeds are typically measured in bits per second. Think of a 56k modem. That's 5.6 kbytes/sec (with overhead).

bps ALWAYS means bits per second, NOT bytes per second. Big difference.

Chance
post #257 of 6830 Old 06-02-2003, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

56k and cable is kinda like a pentium and pentium 4.

WIth old processors you say they're Mhz. With new ones you say Ghz, not Mhz. I do the same with 56k and cable.

Go Broncos!
post #258 of 6830 Old 06-03-2003, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Tebo
DL: 3114 kbps
UL: 1170 kbps

Sweet! Where is that at??

We have a T1 (AKA DS1) at work - 1.544Mbps up and down. It's adequate, but it would be nice to have a T3 (DS3) someday - 44.730 Mbps!!!

Chance
post #259 of 6830 Old 06-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Thats at HP. But back to local HDTV, how is KKTV lately? Are you guys using an OTA reciever to pick it up? Any new word on the other stations? I'm still very tempted to get a cheap Samsung to check it out. I can get a refurb on ebay for $220, new for $245. What do you think? I would need an antenna too, right? Anything else I would need?
post #260 of 6830 Old 06-04-2003, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone seen any actual HD broadcasts on KKTV this week or last week? I turned on the Young and the Restless today, just to see if they're showing HD, and it was an upconvert.

Those newbies in engineering need to get their stuff together and remember to record the network HD feed. I guess we can't complain too much, yet, as the station still hasn't made an official announcement.

FYI, they are showing the words "KKTV-DT" at the very bottom on their station promo/logo shots.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #261 of 6830 Old 06-04-2003, 08:28 PM

The Monday prime time lineup seemed to be in HD. During one of the shows (Still Standing?) there was some popping in the audio so they switched to the SD feed. Within 5 mins the HD feed was back with clean audio. Whoever was working that night seemed to be right on top of things.

--Armando
post #262 of 6830 Old 06-05-2003, 03:59 PM

Does anyone know of a Walmart store in the Colorado Springs/Denver area that has the Samsung T151 HDTV reciever.

--Bengt
post #263 of 6830 Old 06-05-2003, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bnelson, I do not because I have never shopped for an HD receiver at Walmart.

Once again, The Young and the Restless was not in HD today. I'll be too busy tonight to watch, but could someone please post if they see CSI or other shows on KKTV in HD this evening? If KKTV isn't broadcasting a HD show properly, let the station know! 634-2844 ext. 243 (only use the extension if it is after-hours) and ask for engineering!!! I hate being the only one who complains, they need to hear a new voice to make things happen.

Ok, here's the most up to date info I have on our local stations (except KKTV) and their DT status:

KRDO (ABC)
Remarks:
The Cheyenne Propagation Company (CPC), the same folks giving KKTV legal headaches, is also asking KRDO for extra $$$ if they set up a digital antenna on their property. Apparently, CPC wants to charge for every new digital signal sent out by a station on its property.
Currently, KRDO could actually get away with setting up a digital antenna as their current contract with CPC, which allows new antennas to be built, is still good for a few more years. However, they are worried about being hit up later with insane cost increases by CPC during their contract renewal.
From what I gather, KRDO is waiting to see what comes of CPC's lawsuits against KKTV before they take any further action. If the lawsuits against KKTV get dismissed, which I hear they will be, then perhaps KRDO can feel ready to move forward without any legal hassles.
Expected Live Date: Unknown

KXRM (FOX) / KXTU (UPN)
Remarks:
According to Roger at KXRM engineering, nearly all of their equipment is in place to begin broadcasting. Their antenna setup should have been completed by the end of today. He said that a transmitter technician was coming in very soon and that we might actually see test signals by next week!
He said they also have their antenna on CPC's property, however, they have a "newer" contract with CPC than KRDO or KKTV does and that they should not have any legal problems doing what they're doing.
While the chief of engineering, Mike Dunlap, was unavailable for comment, Roger hinted that he'd heard that KXRM will upconvert the 480p feed coming from the network to 1080i for local broadcast.
Unfortunately, Roger did not know for sure if KXTU would be going digital right away as well, but I'll try to gather that information as soon as I can talk to Mr. Dunlap.
Roger said keep on eye on their website (www.kxrm.com) for an official announcement of their DT status. He said that KXRM will heavily promote it when they're ready to go.
Expected Live Date: By the end of next month

KOAA (NBC)
Remarks:
I spoke to Quentin at KOAA engineering, and he said that they're still awaiting a construction permit from the FCC. He said that earlier this year, the FCC actually gave them a permit, then revoked it a week later when it was discovered that KOAA's digital signal would interfere with another DT station in Denver (folks in the Denver thread probably know more about what I'm talking about). However, KOAA does have some equipment in place already, and their microwave link to the transmitter is digital-ready.
Expected Live Date: 6 months to 1 year out

KTSC (PBS)
Remarks:
Spoke to the very friendly Ian Hartley at KTSC engineering, and he said that KTSC is still waiting for their equipment to show up. He estimated that their equipment should all arrive by September, and that he'll get it up and going ASAP after that. He did stress, though, that there will be many bugs to work out and that we may not see true HD right away, but we should at least have a digital signal from them.
Expected Live Date: 01 Oct 03

There you go! Sorry for the delay in getting this info. I figured after all that wasted space about DSL and cable, I'd get us back on track with some worthwhile info.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #264 of 6830 Old 06-05-2003, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks a lot for finding all of that out!

Go Broncos!
post #265 of 6830 Old 06-05-2003, 04:37 PM

drvais,

I wouldn't have expected to find anything related to HDTV at Walmart, but they have it. Here is the proof,

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A3996%3A115061

I can always get it on the WEB, but if there is a Walmart store that has it the Colorado Springs/Denver area then why not...... It is only $298.

-- Bengt
post #266 of 6830 Old 06-05-2003, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting link! I've seen a few low-end HDTVs at the Walmart on Powers, but it's an embarrassment. They're running a terrible feed via composite cables to the sets. Of course, J6P gets a horrendous impression of HD this way.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #267 of 6830 Old 06-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

What are you guys using to pick up the OTA signal? (Model, etc) Do you have a satellite reciever with OTA capabilities? If so, is there any difference in quality from satellite vs. OTA?
post #268 of 6830 Old 06-06-2003, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, there is a difference, but it all depends on how the broadcaster distributes their signal. You can send a 1080i signal at 10 Mbps, or you can send it at 18+ Mbps, and there should be a noticeable difference in quality between the two. Presently, I've heard that DirecTV is playing around with HDNet and HBO-HD and lowering their bit rates, so that affects their quality. I have not been able to test the bit rate coming from KKTV-DT.

I use a Radio Shack bowtie antenna (since discontinued at RS) coupled with a Zenith HD SAT 520. My Sony KD-34XBR2 HDTV also has a built-in ATSC tuner that I occasionally use to grab the signal.

Btw, The Young and the Restless is finally in HD today. The first 30 seconds were in SD, then they fixed it. Thank you KKTV! FYI, I'm not a Young and the Restless fan, I'm just happy to see true HD.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #269 of 6830 Old 06-06-2003, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

How's the bowtie antenna work for you?

I was at a RS looking for one, but didn't see any, and I didn't think "bowtie antenna" would be the right thing to ask an employee when asking them to search local strores for one.

Go Broncos!
post #270 of 6830 Old 06-13-2003, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The bowtie antenna works great for me (reference some of my earlier posts).

As you can see in my most previous post, the the RS bowtie antenna has unfortunately been discontinued. However, I believe you can still find it on eBay.

Btw, I noticed TY&TR was not in HD yesterday, so KKTV is apparently still stuck in HDTV elementary school.

Hail to the King, baby!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page