Anyone near Chicago? Directv Related... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2002, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where do I start here, so many questions,,,

I am in Palatine, IL 60067, I have had nothing but bad luck/service with my directv setup, all started way back a year ago when the guy first came out and said I couldn't even GET Directv's hd bird due to location of dish, (took him all of about 3 seconds to make this statement so who even knows if its true) but after making this statement he installed the standard round `18 incher, for 101 bird, I read around asked around, found out what to do etc etc, and later on my own installed a 4way switch and another 18' round for the 119 in another area along my building. Now I get both the 101 and 119 birds fine thank God cuz hdnet and hbo in HD are awesome!

Then down the road here Directv says here is SHOWTIME IN HD!

COOL!!!!!!!!!

But you gotta add a 3rd lnb no biggie for most with oval dual lnb dishes, but for me with 2 rounds its frustrating cuz I have 2 18' rounds, so that means adding yet another 18' round for the 110 (wifey not happy with the $$$ time and looks of the two dishes out there as it is now, even neighbor complained I said get a life,,,,).

btw is there anything "special" or different about this required 3rd lnb to get the 110 bird? In other words could I even use a standard 18 inch round dish/lnb to capture the 110? Or a dual dish to capture the 119 and 110 and leave my 101 18' dish alone on its own, (basically replacing my 119 round with an oval to capture the 110 and 119)

I am wondering alot of things, mind racing thinking of what I am missing on showtime hd hehe,,,,,but could I possibly add a oval 2 lnb dish and use it for the 119 and 110 birds (hd birds) and still keep one of the round 18 inch dishes for the 101 on my balcony? (cuz the first installer put the 101 dish on my balcony and said from that angle I couldnt get the 119 due to trees so I am thinking I am gonna need to have that one on its own no matter what unless install boy was wrong).

If I do this (if it can be technically even done, 119 and 110 off a oval 2 lnb dish), where can I get a oval dish (cheapest price, again wifey not happy with what i've spent on stuff already). WORSE case I guess I could add another (3rd) single 18' round for the 110 bird (wife will LOVE this one) I attached a pic not sure if it will show tho, its my current setup of two rounds.

None of these are on the roof or hard to get to, but problem is I am not mr technical when it comes to directv sat hookups really, you should have seen me out there with a compass trying to setup the hd 119 dish, took FOREVER to even FIND the signal and my BEST ever signal has been in the 50 range (I know its probably cuz its not 100% level or something), oh also - where can I go to even get the info as to where in the sky the 110 bird is according to my zipcode 60067 (palatine, IL)

Lastly anyone around Palatine IL 60067 who knows these sat hookups well and wants to help a fellow HDTV lover out trying to get this all hooked up and working? (willing to pay for some help here if needed). Just so frustrated at needing yet another lnb for the 110 bird now and overwhelmed at cost, time and frustration of trying to get it all working.....

btw yes I do subscribe to both hbo and showtime thru my directv services, I have a hd tv, hdtv directv reciever and currently get local digital and hd thru rooftop antenna, hbo and hdnet thru directvs 119 bird in high def so im like 66% of the way there, only missing showtime hd!!!!

Bill
steveperryfan2001@yahoo.com
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2002, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bill,
hi...why not get the oval dish and sell your two round dishes on Ebay so they are not a total loss. Then get the sat c kit and be done with it. Everyone is happy, you get simple setup and Show-HD, wife and neighbor see one less dish and you recoup some of the costs of the price of the two round dishes even though you spend money on the oval and sat c kit.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #3 of 4 Old 05-18-2002, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would LOVE to buy a oval add the sat c kit and be done with it, but I don't think I can get exposure of all three birds from the one balcony location based on what the directv guy said - maybe from along side my building somewhere I can get all three, but I dont really know how to test to see before spending the cash to find out really.

I can sorta get the gist of it with a compass in hand and aiming at the sky I guess, but where is there a site that can give me (from my zipcode) what the angles are for the 110 bird?

I can find the info for the 119 and 101 at this site
http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html
but based on my zip how can I find out what I need specs wise (az/ele) to find the 110?

I am gonna call up directvs customer service and basically beg them to help me out on a oval (cost wise) and if not I will threaten to cancel or something (altho I wont hehe), just hoping since I have been reading here prices can be as little as 0$ to $49 for the oval and around $8ish for the c kit, if I can rig up that triple lnb dish along my apartment side and get all three birds that would be awesome but I have a feeling the way the trees are laid out I probably wont be able to do it (unless lightning strikes hehe).... I recall when the directv guy was out he said nope we cant do the oval cuz your location doesnt give us access to both the 119 and 101's however that was from my balcony only, I didnt have him check from all along my building side (I added the other 119 round on my own much later after he left aprox 40 feet away from my balcony).

Lastly what is that thing they look into the sky with to see if the bird is there, does radio shack or anyone sell those? It might save me alot of time and frustration to stand in various places along my building and pinpoint where I could do all 3 birds at once if possible.

Bill :)
post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2002, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would just pick up the oval and install it. More than likely you will get all three.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page