Thinking of getting HDTV in NY Metro Area?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2002, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in lower Westchester County, NY. About 25 minutes from midtown on a good day.
My main question is if there are HDTV stations available? I searched the forum and read statements about the need for a new antenne after the WTC.
Can I still receive HDTV signals in my area? If so, where are they coming from?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2002, 05:25 PM

You should be able to get HD from CBS and ED (Enhanced Definition) from Fox. Both are broadcast from the Empire State Building. If you turn your antenna toward CT you might be able to pick up WTNH-DT (ABC). If you have DirecTV, you can get HBO, HD-Net, & Showtime. Dish Network offers HBO & Showtime.

Joe
post #3 of 13 Old 05-18-2002, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have directv, but was thinking of going the HDPC route with the group buy they have going now, because it allows me to actually record to the hard drive. From my initial research it seemed like that most of the channels were OTA.
Is it true that there isn't a good solution for a multi-directional antenna and that I have to have a way to rotate it?

Thanks for any help..
post #4 of 13 Old 05-20-2002, 07:01 AM

I don't think a multi-directional antenna will pull in a stong enough signal, but it can't hurt to try. I am about 35 miles from NYC and 50 from WTNH. Everyone in my area rotates their antenna. If it works for you, please post all the details.

Joe
post #5 of 13 Old 05-20-2002, 07:54 AM

I'm in Westchester too, probably not far from you (ardsley). The house I recently moved into already had an antenna in the attic that the former owner was using to pull in FM radio stations. I hooked it up to my DST3000 and it picks up CBS and Fox with no problems whatsoever.

I don't think you really need a multidirectional setup since everything is in the same spot right now and it's still not clear where ABC, NBC, PBS, et. al. will wind up post 9/11.

Given my experience, if you want to start picking up OTA signals from your location, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Steve
post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2002, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Do you happen to know what type of antenna is in the attic. In the persuit of marital harmony I was going to try and go that route as well. I have a Terk FM up there now and it works well for FM radio. I have heard some people complain that Terk antennas are not the best though.

Thanks for any advise,
post #7 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 06:10 AM

Sorry Crotalus,
But I don't have any idea what kind of antenna it is. It's fairly big though. Reminds me of the type of TV antenna I used to see on top of everyone's house BEFORE cable, satellite, etc. ;)

It points roughly south (due to the directional orientation of my house) and CBS shows up with the strongest signal level that my receiver shows. I had no idea the antenna could be used for this purpose when I bought the house. Given all that I read here about people trying to pull in signals, I feel incredibly lucky!

Steve
post #8 of 13 Old 05-21-2002, 10:41 AM

You don't need a rotor if you are not interested in trying to pick up WTNH-DT (ABC) from CT. If you want to mount it in the attic, I would recommended getting the largest UHF antenna you can fit from Radio Shack. Point it at NYC and see what you get. If things don't work out you can always return it. If you do want to get WTNH then you will need a combo UHF/VHF antenna and a rotor. WTNH is a rare VHF digital signal and it is broadcast from Connecticut.

Joe
post #9 of 13 Old 05-22-2002, 11:07 AM

Is anyone in Nassau County, Long Island able to receive WTNH-DT? What is the digital channel number for tuning in that station?
post #10 of 13 Old 05-22-2002, 12:50 PM

Yes, there are people in Nassau County that get WTNH-DT. It tunes in on channel 8-1.

Check these threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=124622

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=112400

Joe
post #11 of 13 Old 05-23-2002, 05:46 AM

I am in Monmouth County, NJ, which is apparently a black hole for OTA. I bought a MyHD HDTV tuner card for my PC, and just tried to buy an antenna for it. The best that I could find locally was an amplified indoor model - I bought it to find out if I had any hope of reception. Another $40 blown...

Even holding it outside of my 2nd-floor window (directly into a TV), I can barely see ch 5 and get audio and ghostly images of several UHF stations, at full amp. Antennaweb.org says that I am in a "dark red" area (amp directional antenna), and I think that may be optimistic. Is it even worth trying to go further? My wife is already laughing at me. If I spend another $100+, put up a mast, and STILL don't get reception....

I should just cut my losses and wait for Comcast (or Godot), but if anyone local has definite proof that OTA will work, please contact me. I am so depressed...
post #12 of 13 Old 05-23-2002, 06:27 AM

Quote:
WTNH is a rare VHF digital signal and it is broadcast from Connecticut.
I'm in Stamford and put up a VHF antenna for the sole purpose of trying to receive WTNH and got nothing. I'd be surprised if you can get it from Westchester, but there's no harm in trying. I think the people in Nassau County get WTNH more easily because it's a straight shot across the water.
There's so much more OTA HD programming, NBC, ABC, WB, but not for us until/unless the new tower gets built.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2002, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCraw
Yes, there are people in Nassau County that get WTNH-DT. It tunes in on channel 8-1.
Joe
Actually WTNH-DT is on channel 10-1. It re-maps to 8-1.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page